• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG tops 7m sold copies and 600k concurrent users

yuraya

AAA games are just so polished right? The only tactical AAA shooter I can think of is so buggy that they had to delay and cancel a map just to focus on bug fixes (Rainbow Six Siege)

Also are you really complaining that it didn't have a marketing budget

Its not a quality video game unless it has a 200 million dollar marketing budget.

I need my energy drink DLC!

Se_7_eN

How are 7 million people allowed to be scammed by money grubbing knockoffs of games that aren't even fun? Shit seriously looks like a Chinese rip.

Like, loot creates in an early access game? Come on now. Someone needs to call the FCC or something because this is getting ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh wait didn't Bluehole get bought by Tencent?

:thinking:

Wow, what a great post... I see you used the word "Looks like a..." meaning you haven't played it and have no real valuable input on the fun level of the game, so please refrain from saying something isn't fun that you haven't actually played.

And if you don't agree or like the Loot Crates, then don't buy them and shut up. It really is that easy.

Glad theyve found success, game is trash.

Drdisrespect showing a lot of frustration with the game recently.

Wow, since he is showing frustration, that means you better hurry up and stop liking it also.... /s

FX-GMC

How are 7 million people allowed to be scammed by money grubbing knockoffs of games that aren't even fun? Shit seriously looks like a Chinese rip.

Like, loot creates in an early access game? Come on now. Someone needs to call the FCC or something because this is getting ridiculous.

Clearly you should've done the thinking before your post rather than at the end. I mean having ~500,000+ people playing at almost any time refutes your "scammed" and "knockoff of games that aren't even fun".

I bought it a couple of weeks ago, and I just couldn't get into it. I really enjoy watching streams of it though. I will try again once it hits consoles if the performance is pretty good. The game looks so fun, I'm not sure why I didn't really like it when I played.

Glad theyve found success, game is trash.

Drdisrespect showing a lot of frustration with the game recently.

He gets mad when he gets killed, always blames it on desync. It's probably part act, part him actually being pissed off at getting outplayed. Yea, the game is still buggy, but it's not trash.

Think about how many hours that dude has put into this game. Maybe 6 hours a day for how long?

Ever

Banned
People actually defending this game and these business practices, all I can do is shake my head. Apparently being squeezed out of money and enjoying it is the new future now, disappointing.

Also trying to use sarcasm to marginalize and opinion, just lol.

People actually defending this game and these business practices, all I can do is shake my head. Apparently being squeezed out of money and enjoying it is the new future now, disappointing.

It's all skins though. If you need that stupid 400 dollar skirt to enjoy the game, then I say let them have your money as it's better off in their hands.

Magwik

Banned

"I'm not wrong, your wrong!"

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

You know you don't need to buy anything but the game, correct?

FX-GMC

Trying to have an opinion on something you don't know and clearly don't understand, just lol.

"Squeezed out of money". I've never heard that applied to a situation where you aren't required to spend any money. Are you sure you actually grasp the language you are using?

Holy shit I thought you were just doing a caricature!

If this is what he is trying, he is awful at it.

Holy shit I thought you were just doing a caricature!

WTF.

Maybe, just maybe, people buy games because they are fun. Especially since the business practices have no gameplay bearing on the game itself.

Ever

Banned
I guess no one is interested in rational discussion of the game instead dropping to sarcasm and insults to defend this, just lol.

Call me back when there's a game out there worth my time.

Lol, just lol

Somnia

1) They've had loot crates since it launched in EA, just not paid crates.
2) The paid crates are limited edition and only around until the 28th. The crates and keys are going towards their gamescom tournament. If they keep pay crates and keys in after the fact (or swap to a full key system), then yeah I'll be more than happy to kill them for it

Just remember that when it does launch, they will be having crates/keys like the gamescom one and CS:GO. I expect more limited edition crates for more tournaments going forward too.

Afrodium

Banned

Bluehole really has people over a barrel charging half as much as any AAA developer would.

Probably never will. It's still early access on PC.

Reminds me of that zombie survival game that was early access on PC that was announced for consoles that just disappeared.

This is a PUBG thread

How do I know?

Look at all this concern being shared by people who don't believe that knowing what they're talking about should be prerequisite.

so devs now don't need to finish their games to sell them and they don't need to advertise them because those who buy their product do all the advertising, Early access earns you more money with less effort, thanks PC gamers, Steam is the future of gaming, a future filled with unfinished shit and very low quality games

Oh hey, an xviper post. I wouldn't have even needed to see your avatar or username to know it was you, because the post just sucks. That's how I knew it was you.

Trace

Banned
I guess no one is interested in rational discussion of the game instead dropping to sarcasm and insults to defend this, just lol.

Lol, just lol

Please tell me you're joking, I realize you've made no mention of it but holy shit I can't imagine anyone being so dense. There is no requirement for you to buy optional cosmetics, they make literally no difference in the game.

This is a PUBG thread

How do I know?

Look at all this concern being shared by people who don't believe that knowing what they're talking about should be prerequisite.

Neogaf has a lot of console warriors that will come out of the woodwork to shit on any PC exclusive game at any time. Of course they're all extremely "concerned" about the game as well.

Lol, just lol

cKktvcR.jpg

GodofWine

I can't believe people still complain about them charging for loot crates full of cosmetics. DONT BUY THEM.

You don't need to look like ANYTHING in this game, most of the time you are alone, and now with first person slowly becoming the ideal version, YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE YOURSELF.

So, if you feel you must spend $50 to wear a skirt and a twitch face mask, because WHO KNOWS WHY, the problem is not with them.

/soapbox

Also, when a game EXPLODES like this one does, your plans go out the window, they've probably exceeded internal stretch goals by 100's of %, and they'd be foolish as a profit seeking company (thats what all devs are, they aren't paying bills by being your friends) to put off adding a really simple feature to increase profits, which in no way delays the game.

I

Memento

I feel like there is a new thread about another million this game has sold every week...

Jesus.

I would like to try it. Hope it doesnt take too long to hit PS4.

I've spent 30 dollars and made half of it back already selling crates on the steam market. Have already played for over 100 hours hours and that will probably get into the thousands eventually. Where the hell is the squeeze?

Dabanton

Neogaf has a lot of console warriors that will come out of the woodwork to shit on any PC exclusive game at any time. Of course they're all extremely "concerned" about the game as well.

A lot of guys are also absolutely shook about PUBG getting anywhere near the GOTY awards.

It's been palpable in the last few threads for the game. For me the game is a marvel, definitely in the running.

Lifeline

I can't believe people still complain about them charging for loot crates full of cosmetics. DONT BUY THEM.

You don't need to look like ANYTHING in this game, most of the time you are alone, and now with first person slowly becoming the ideal version, YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE YOURSELF.

So, if you feel you must spend $50 to wear a skirt and a twitch face mask, because WHO KNOWS WHY, the problem is not with them.

/soapbox

Also, when a game EXPLODES like this one does, your plans go out the window, they've probably exceeded internal stretch goals by 100's of %, and they'd be foolish as a profit seeking company (thats what all devs are, they aren't paying bills by being your friends) to put off adding a really simple feature to increase profits, which in no way delays the game.

I

It's because everyone is used to the Overwatch system. Where lootboxes are free to get and open. Seeing another game charge for lootboxes feels like a shitty cashgrab in comparison.

I think keeping the system they have now would be a good idea to please everyone, with having both pay to open and free to open lootboxes.

A lot of guys are also absolutely shook about PUBG getting anywhere near the GOTY awards.

It's been palpable in the last few threads for the game. For me the game is a marvel, definitely in the running.

I think it's too barebones to win any critic GOTY now, but with the two new maps coming out and a console release. I think by the end of the year, it's going to become a big competitor.

It's because everyone is used to the Overwatch system. Where lootboxes are free to get and open. Seeing another game charge for lootboxes feels like a shitty cashgrab in comparison.

I think keeping the system they have now would be a good idea to please everyone, with having both pay to open and free to open lootboxes.

The developers have also been clear that they're still tweaking the hell out of the lootbox system, so the final release should be pretty different and likely way better.

Anyone playing the game for the lootboxes right now is bonkers in my mind. The skins are really, really bad.

It's been my GOTY for over a month now. A lot of kids are gonna be salty this year.

MUnited83

For you.

How can the very creator of the entire genre do a "knockoff"?
Also lmao at yet another weak lootbox shitpost.

"Squeezed out of money" LMAO. I made over 50$ from this game. I don't think that's how "squeezing" is supposed to work.
And cosmetic MTs are quite alright, they are the perfect way of guaranting support for a game for a decade or more of constant updates and new content.

Not that you would know anything about that since you've clearly haven't ever touched the game.

Gotta love people that get mad because others are having too much fun with a shit, broken, money grabbing product (or so they say). Never change.

Game is a lot of fun, thank god for a platform like PC that allows for these kinds of experiences to exist. I'm also 5€ away from making back what I spent to get the game just by selling crates... what's there not to like.

Lol, just lol

Well, if that's what you want, it's on you to actually present a cogent argument to begin with.

styl3s

Not enough apparently, because they needed to add loot crates to their early access game.
Those scumbags how could they add a limited time crate where all the money goes to charity, prize pool and for orginizing the event? Can't believe it those greedy bastards.

Gotta love people that get mad because others are having too much fun with a shit, broken, money grabbing product (or so they say). Never change.

Game is a lot of fun, thank god for a platform like PC that allows for these kinds of experiences to exist. I'm also 5€ away from making back what I spent to get the game just by selling crates... what's there not to like.
I never cared about the free crates so i just kept all my coins and sold about $40 worth of invitation crates when those dropped and decided to open 3 invitations and made $20 off 2 clothing items and got a set crate worth $140.

I love that people are willing to spend stupid amounts of money on digital clothing items. Even if the money from the paid crate keys weren't going to charity, event and prize pool who cares? It's cosemtics and ill be SHOCKED if most games don't start implenting it. Hell, Mordor has paid crates.

Audioserf

I need three things from this game going forward

1. Optimisation so it doesn't run like raw ass
2. Mantling so I can make my hasty retreats while taking caps in my rear
3. A new map or two.

JHall

The best game multiplayer game out right now is a beta. These people over at Bluehole deserve everything they're getting.

indie developer sells 7m copies of their game, you would think such a huge success would be celebrated by the gaming community, what's with the few people being salty here?

Venfayth

Pubg adds paid crates
>People mad about microtransactions
"Guys it's for a good cause, for their tournament, and so they can test paid crates and measure the economy before the game releases"
>"Yeah but they PROMISED THEY WOULDN'T"
"There are legitimate business reasons to break a promise if it makes sense, and hey, they're donating money to charity"
>"YEAH BUT HOW DARE THEY RUN A TOURNAMENT IN AN EARLY ACCESS GAME"
"How about you put down your pitchf-"
*stabbed to death*

Stygr

Banned

Lol, just lol

"Worth my time" like who cares about your opinion and your time? I dont play PUBG at all, but i'm not shitting on 7 million player like you are doing, you dont like the well? Well, go ahead.

so devs now don't need to finish their games to sell them and they don't need to advertise them because those who buy their product do all the advertising, Early access earns you more money with less effort, thanks PC gamers, Steam is the future of gaming, a future filled with unfinished shit and very low quality games
image.php

indie developer sells 7m copies of their game, you would think such a huge success would be celebrated by the gaming community, what's with the few people being salty here?

Because dumb people think it's a cheap knockoff despite being made by the creator of the freaking genre. Because those same people think mp only games are not 'real games' and because those people hate loot boxes in all forms even though it doesn't affect gameplay.

Se_7_eN

indie developer sells 7m copies of their game, you would think such a huge success would be celebrated by the gaming community...

It kinda is, wouldn't you say? A little over 7 million in sales on a (Currently) PC Exclusive title is pretty damn crazy... Especially when you have so many devs saying "PC Gaming is dead" or "They will just pirate it".

Everyone who is playing it is having a lot of fun and spreading the word, or its sales wouldn't be so high since there is literally 0 advertising.

Top Bottom