• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG tops 7m sold copies and 600k concurrent users

Kayant

I just feel weird counting a game that launched on ps+. They gave it away like candy that first month.
Hmmm well that was part of their marketing they decided to do because of lack of budget for it. Bluehole went with Twitch streamers. And on PC where it was a paid title since release it has sold really well I can't see why them giving it away should discount its success.

Main point being the game's growth hasn't slowed down one bit since it launched it sales has not decreased month on month and it's stayed in PS4 Digital charts(Both NA/EU) for long periods of time.

Retail wise for example in UK the above is also true.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So sell me on that game.

I like PC shooters. Is it free to play ? Why is it getting so much attention ?
If it is PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, I checked steam reviews and there was a lot of negativity in there.

Well that's steam reviews for you,game added a crate system like csgo (but at the same time they also have free crates) but there was major backlash against it. Then there's the reviews that are making up shit like getting banned for honking their horns close to a streamer (and being unaware about it being a streamer), those are 100% bullshit and are just feeding a streamer hate drama.

Brannon

God this game is so overated. I made it all the way to the end boss and quit out of disgust. But I guess SOME people just like playing pay-to-win grindy ego-humpers to feel good about themselves. Thankfully I'm above all that.

seriously, good job Bluehole, y'all struck oil and deserve all the success

Mooreberg

Daybreak should release h1z1 on ps4 like yesterday. They might be one of the dumbest devs out there. I mean, aren't non-competes a thing in business?
I think that ship already sailed. I have seen streamers who did not even know what it was when asked about it. This will be like Warcraft vs. EverQuest but in 1/8th the time.

Well...
Yg3Prqr.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Loving this thread

Also loving the 300 euros I've earned on this

Ever

Banned
Walking simulator has never been more the truth. How people find this game fun is beyond me with all the pay to win crap flooding the game

Then when someone calls a spade a spade there's a rush to downplay with hot takes and bad image macros, just lol.

Wake me up when this doesn't won GOTY, not a very bold prediction. Lol, just lol

Radnom

Walking simulator has never been more the truth. How people find this game fun is beyond me with all the pay to win crap flooding the game
Is this a joke or something I'm not getting?

I don't like the paid for crates for cosmetics either, I'd much rather they weren't in the game. But as they are, they don't give anyone an advantage in-game. Maybe if they started releasing camo jackets you could argue a slight advantage.

And 'walking simulator' is a bad description of those kinds of games as it stands, it doesn't make any sense to call this a walking simulator by any means. Sure sometimes you can spend a couple of minutes walking, but it's tense the whole time because you could be spotted and shot at any moment. That's not the case in say, Dear Esther.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Then when someone calls a spade a spade there's a rush to downplay with hot takes and bad image macros, just lol.

Wake me up when this doesn't won GOTY, not a very bold prediction. Lol, just lol
Just stop dude. Christ.

Swig_

I don't like the paid for crates for cosmetics either, I'd much rather they weren't in the game. But as they are, they don't give anyone an advantage in-game. Maybe if they started releasing camo jackets you could argue a slight advantage.

And 'walking simulator' is a bad description of those kinds of games as it stands, it doesn't make any sense to call this a walking simulator by any means. Sure sometimes you can spend a couple of minutes walking, but it's tense the whole time because you could be spotted and shot at any moment. That's not the case in say, Dear Esther.

I have a camo jacket, got it for free from one of the free crates before the new crates came out. No idea what he's talking about.. "pay to win".

It's not Overwatch. It's not constant action and battle, the entire game. It's about surviving and making good, strategic choices. And that's a big part of why it's enjoyable.

Armaros

Your trolling isn't new, amusing, imaginitive or special.

It's actually pretty pathetic how much time you spend doing such low effort trolling about a singular game a forum.

GodofWine

Is this a joke post? There is nothing pay to win. Just cosmetics, and apparently not many people REALLY care about this if the games breaking records.

WillyFive

The pacing of the game and large maps means you won't be shooting 4 people every 30 seconds like in Call of Duty, which is where most people who use the phrase "walking simulator" for FPS are coming from.

Cipherr

didnt realize people liked walking simulators so much.

Is this a joke? I mean, either it is, or you are commenting on a game you didn't even bother to youtube first. I don't know HOW one could possibly classify a game like this as a walking simulator.

The pacing of the game and large maps means you won't be shooting 4 people every 30 seconds like in Call of Duty, which is where most people who use the phrase "walking simulator" for FPS are coming from.

Seriously? The attention span of gamers has gotten so bad that they can't deal with taking cover in buildings behind trees and using a little camo/sneaking to score kills in a shooter anymore without drifting off into slumber? Jesus Christ.

Syf

Banned
Very well deserved, game is great and only gonna get better as they polish it up. Some people sure seem upset about that though, lol.

I see PUBG is going through that awkward phase where people who don't like it are really confused as to why other people could possibly like something they don't like.

I remember that with DOTA. I just chose not to play it, but some people just really can't get over it.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

At least put a little more effort into making your trolling believable.

Armaros

I see PUBG is going through that awkward phase where people who don't like it are really confused as to why other people could possibly like something they don't like.

I remember that with DOTA. I just chose not to play it, but some people just really can't get over it.

It happens on GAF every time a big PC only (even if only temporarily exclusive) game makes waves.

I happened with DotA and league of legends. I remember all the PC gaming number threads that ended up with 'MOBAS don't count'

It happened when CSGO came surging back.

Everything must be a 50 hour grindfest JRPG or it's not a real game

Hektor

FOMO culture.

Mifec

It happens on GAF every time a big PC only (even if only temporarily exclusive) game makes waves.

I happened with DotA and league of legends. I remember all the PC gaming number threads that ended up with 'MOBAS don't count'

It happened when CSGO came surging back.

I wasn't around for that. Were people really mad that lul and dota 2 got big?

so devs now don't need to finish their games to sell them and they don't need to advertise them because those who buy their product do all the advertising, Early access earns you more money with less effort, thanks PC gamers, Steam is the future of gaming, a future filled with unfinished shit and very low quality games

You're right, devs don't need to finish their games to sell them. If the core concept is here, it can be a success. Now at least, these are advertised as "early concepts" "unfinished" "early access".

Now, you also have big publishers who released unfinished games, marketed as final products. Heck, you don't need to search too far away, just take a look at your own avatar.

Wardancer

Neo Member
The ๖ۜBronx;246276520 said:
To be fair they've been hitting home runs with exclusive games for the most part. Microsoft helping with the port makes complete sense for them to hold exclusivity for awhile, I just hope it's not too long as this game looks like a load of fun. Giant Bomb's murder island took me from wonder what "that game with the weird name and bad cover (imo)" was, to chomping at the bit to play. Always thought a game based on Battle Royale would be neat, and this pretty much confirms it.

As an aside, are the items on the map static in both location and nature (what they are), or does it vary what's there each time?

The loot is random, there are specific places that can have loot (you quickly learn this as you play, each house has a specific set of loot places) but what is there if there is anything at all is random.

There is also certain places that have a slightly higher chance of better loot or just have a higher concentration of possible loot spots that often see high traffic.

Would this game find success on console? This seems perfectly tailored for the hardcore PC market.

Why would it not find success on console because it's perfect for PC? I can't think of a single reason why it would inherently be worse on console (beyond aim, but the same can be said of every game in that respect), as someone on console that is very much looking forward to it.

Would this game find success on console? This seems perfectly tailored for the hardcore PC market.

It depends on the prankster uncles.
On a more serious tone: I actually believe this could find a success as big, if not bigger on consoles because of the concept. Now it depends if it gets released fast enough.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Why bitch about a game you haven't played? I genuinely don't get it.

Fair enough if it doesn't interest you, but to call it a walking simulator?

Lister

Banned
Yes? I mean why wouldn't it?

There are alot of games that are super popular with the consle crowd that PC gamers just don't seem to give a shit about,

It's not inconceivable that the same could be true of some PC games.

Not sure if this game will be that though.

Zemm

so devs now don't need to finish their games to sell them and they don't need to advertise them because those who buy their product do all the advertising, Early access earns you more money with less effort, thanks PC gamers, Steam is the future of gaming, a future filled with unfinished shit and very low quality games

Every post I see of yours is just shit or plain wrong opinion after shit or plain wrong opinion. At least you're consistent.

Pachael

It's a multiplayer shooter (in a loose term) with large maps which are popular on consoles so as long as controls on the pad are good it'll find a big audience.

nowarning

Completely anecdotal I know, but all the console only guys I know in real life think PUBG looks awesome and can't wait for it to come out. Most of 'em play Destiny or COD and that's about it so I was pretty surprised.

I'm sure in an interview they said they had a really early console build running on xbox one on a full server and it was 30fps ball park, before optimization.

Edit: My bad, it's running on xbox one x

"Greene: We have a version running on the Xbox One X prototype in the office which can plug into the online servers. We were playing on live servers on the console at about 30 or 40 FPS. So it works on 100 man servers."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e-of-battlegrounds-according-to-playerunknown

Orayn

Map is too big, 100 players, I don't know if console can handle it well.

Density of players is generally very low, and the game's network architecture isn't such that everyone's local machine is doing a ton of tracking of all 100 players at all times. Even games like Battlefield use a "sphere" system where things like hit detection and player movement interpolation get finer grained as players get closer together, I'd have to imagine PUBG is similar in that regard.

Top Bottom