• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushmo/Pullblox |OT| of pushing, pulling and QR codes

BowieZ

Banned
The music definitely sounds like it's by the same composer as the awesome Super Paper Mario soundtrack... which of course makes sense as both are Intelligent Systems games but yeah.

Ulthwe

Maybe is Vox Populi but I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread. Yesterday I discovered that if you start creating a puzzle in the studio and press the "copy" button you're given three options: copy from the Villa, from the Studio and from the Old man. If you select the Old man he'll give you a new level every time. You'll just have to put the end flag and play them.

The "copy" button sits the top of the touch screen, it only appears when the canvas is blank, as soon as you draw one block it changes to "try".

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Maybe is Vox Populi but I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread. Yesterday I discovered that if you start creating a puzzle in the studio and press the "copy" button you're given three options: copy from the Villa, from the Studio and from the Old man. If you select the Old man he'll give you a new level every time. You'll just have to put the end flag and play them.

The "copy" button sits the top of the touch screen, it only appears when the canvas is blank, as soon as you draw one block it changes to "try".

Neat!

watershed

Banned
Look, a cool donkey kong puzzle!... And "This pushmo is too advanced for you. You need bla bla bla park first".

Why Nintendo always do one thing right and another thing wrong? :(

You just need to play the main game more, those features will unlock once you beat them in the main game.

You've convinced me. I was on the fence for a while, but after finishing Mario 3D Land I'm craving another platformer. Off to the eStore!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You've convinced me. I was on the fence for a while, but after finishing Mario 3D Land I'm craving another platformer. Off to the eStore!
It's not really a platformer but oh well, you can't go wrong anyway. I haven't read a single negative impression on the internet since it launched (which has become rare).

Blizzard

Banned
Just opened my new 3DS and pretty much the first thing I did was buy this game.
Oddly enough I hadn't really been interested in anything on the 3DS even after trying it in a store, but I really like the idea of this game. It would probably be one of my first purchases if I got a 3DS.

It almost makes me want to write a freeware clone of it for the PC, but I guess the 3D vision effect might be needed to make it work properly? Plus people might get mad if I just did a direct clone even if it was free. :p

wsippel

Banned
Oddly enough I hadn't really been interested in anything on the 3DS even after trying it in a store, but I really like the idea of this game. It would probably be one of my first purchases if I got a 3DS.

It almost makes me want to write a freeware clone of it for the PC, but I guess the 3D vision effect might be needed to make it work properly? Plus people might get mad if I just did a direct clone even if it was free. :p
It's not required, but it certainly helps.

M3d10n

The controls are very tight. This is the kind of stuff that takes lots of iterating to get right: Pushmo somehow manages to enforce a consistent set of rules on which jumps you can and cannot make while keeping a very fluid and responsive control over the character (usually games resort to delayed jumps and tons of inertia to do this). Not to mention the included levels... goddamn, some of these are genius. Would take quite a while to reach that level without straight up ripping some level designs.

Razorskin

----- ------

No, I don't even play with the 3D on. It's still a great game regardless, 3D doesn't add much.

Alrus

I don't know... That's a pretty shitty thing to do in my opinion. But hey, Rovio did the same and monetized it and nobody seemed to care.

Also the concept is simple and might be easy to emulate but the execution will not.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know... That's a pretty shitty thing to do in my opinion. But hey, Rovio did the same and monetized it and nobody seemed to care.

Also the concept is simple and might be easy to emulate but the execution will not.
*shrug* I certainly wouldn't be making any money out of it. And there's like a 1% chance I would even have the skill to do it.

Alternatively if I did it I could keep it for strictly personal use without uploading to the internet, thus ensuring that I'm not competing against Nintendo at all, except maybe for myself -- maybe that would be more fair. =P

Regardless, as to Pushmo/Pullblox itself, it seems like a really clever game idea and I welcome more games like it, or ports of the game.

Alrus

*shrug* I certainly wouldn't be making any money out of it. And there's like a 1% chance I would even have the skill to do it.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply you would do it for profit. It's just that when I see a great concept for game I'd rather support it directly instead of copying it. (but then again I don't know anything about programming so I couldn't do it any way :p)

Anyway if you ever get interested in a 3DS in the future, this is one of the first game you should buy indeed, it's more than worth the asking price :)

Just got this a few hours ago, sped through the tutorial and scanned some simple puzzles.

I kind of wish there had been a slightly bigger budget and scope, so this could have been made a retail release like Picross 3D. Still, it has a great concept, a great art style, and is loads of fun to play.

Even if the limit for scanning/keeping new puzzles is frustratingly low (like P3D), at least I can save the images to a hard drive or something and rescan them whenever (unlike P3D).

Got through most of the main puzzles fine, but Number 191 (Challenge S-11) is becoming a little frustrating. Anyone have any tips/hints on solving it?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of bought a 3DS and this as my "launch" game.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Has anybody else done a google image search for pushmo? Sooo many QR codes come up. Best feature EVER!

BowieZ

Banned
Got through most of the main puzzles fine, but Number 191 (Challenge S-11) is becoming a little frustrating. Anyone have any tips/hints on solving it?

That one is very hard! In fact, although I solved it, I immediately was absolutely clueless how I did it nor would I be able to achieve the solution easily again.

BowieZ

Banned
The only advice I can really give for 191 is that you need to make 'preparations' on the second layer for the third layer, then take steps to undo your path back to the bottom, and find other ways up. I think. But I forget what really worked.

PS You're going to really hate 193-198! (192 is not that hard imho)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So what are everybody's favorite stock levels?

Mine so far are two Deluxe Murals - Fire Truck and the Curry Dish. Overall, the entire Deluxe Murals section was very classy.

This is what I did to solve 191. Some steps might be unnecessary. BowieZ's advice is pretty good if you don't want to spoil the whole solution.
On the bottom row, pull out the first two columns as much as possible (i.e. purple and blue all the way out, pink out by two) and on the last column pull the purple/pink/blue out by 3/2/1 respectively to reach the second row.

Jump all the way over to the left, pull the purple out by two and the blue out by 3. Jump back to the middle, pull the purple out by 2 and the pink out by 1, and jump up to the third row on the left.

Pull the purple out by 2 and the blue out by 3 again, then go back down to the middle of the second row, push the pink back in, pull the blue all the way out and push the purple all the way back in.

Go back to the bottom row, and pull everything on the right column out as much as possible. Then push stuff in the middle back in so it's in the 3/2/1 configuration, and climb up to the second row on the right.

Pull the purple out by 2 and the pink out by 1 and jump up to the third row in the middle, pull the purple out by 2 and the pink out by 1 and jump up to the fourth row on the left, and pull the purple out by 2 and the pink out by 1 again to get the flag.

Solved puzzle 191 before going to bed last night somehow, was on a roll until 197 (S-17).
I can't add anything to how to solve 191 that wasn't already said better by someone else, but 191 almost seems easy compared to this one. Can't imagine how hard the final puzzle will be.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm on puzzle 86 already...I can't stop playing...its been three hours since I picked it up this morning, I want to play some Mario Kart, and I can't

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Nintendo put out two new holiday themed levels on thier official Nintendo 3DS Facebook page.

Happy holidays from Pushmo! Celebrate early with this holiday-themed puzzle. Just scan this QR Code in Pushmo Studio and you’ll be playing in no time!

409413_239376666134332_149152295156770_608134_1446876129_n.jpg

377433_239923226079676_149152295156770_609581_1577969298_n.jpg

Sometimes, when I'm reading text on a website, I'll think I saw certain blocks of text moving into the foreground or background.

...I think I'm playing too much Pushmo.

(On puzzle 220, just 30 more to go before I can put it down... O_O)

if you start creating a puzzle in the studio and press the "copy" button you're given three options: copy from the Villa, from the Studio and from the Old man.
Nice find. I've seen the old man mention the copy function in a few end of level messages. Those facts could have stood out a bit more.

jonno394

God damn this thread, it's making me want to buy a 3DS so much. As soon as I find a 3DS with the ambassador games on ebay i'm clicking BiN !

Well this game is an addictive little bugger!

I watched the video on the eShop prior to launch and liked the look of the gameplay but the visual design of the game put me off. It all looked a bit too twee [and I hate to say it] kiddy, for my tastes.

However, I decided to give it a go because all these obsessive gamer nerds on a Forum I am a member of [oh, that would be you lot :p] were raving about it. I must say however that they you were right to do so! :) I am even enjoying the visual design more now that I am playing it. It is cute and charming rather than twee and [sorry] kiddy.

It is helped though by me deciding that the old man is a kiddy fiddler and he is manipulating the player to round up the children to be his sex slaves. I find that perversely amusing and am deliberately reading innuendo into some of the game script as a result.

No doubt there will be an outraged news story on Fox News before too long. "Nintendo" teaches how to groom children to be sex slaves!!!"

M3d10n

Well this game is an addictive little bugger!

I watched the video on the eShop prior to launch and liked the look of the gameplay but the visual design of the game put me off. It all looked a bit too twee [and I hate to say it] kiddy, for my tastes.

However, I decided to give it a go because all these obsessive gamer nerds on a Forum I am a member of [oh, that would be you lot :p] were raving about it. I must say however that they you were right to do so! :) I am even enjoying the visual design more now that I am playing it. It is cute and charming rather than twee and [sorry] kiddy.

It is helped though by me deciding that the old man is a kiddy fiddler and he is manipulating the player to round up the children to be his sex slaves. I find that perversely amusing and am deliberately reading innuendo into some of the game script as a result.

No doubt there will be an outraged news story on Fox News before too long. "Nintendo" teaches how to groom children to be sex slaves!!!"

Considering that the main character is wearing nothing but some sort of thong, you may be onto something.

http://i.imgur.com/BDVOB.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Daffy forgot to take his meds again?

[spoiler]nice gif![/spoiler]

[quote="M3d10n, post: 33743821"]Considering that the main character is wearing nothing but some sort of thong, you may be onto something.[/QUOTE]

Oh that's nothing! Look at the shape of his nose! :o

In fact the more I play the game the more I believe it is dripping in perverted subtext!

Remember, when you see this on Fox News and Kotaku, you heard it here first!

Back to the game however I am really enjoying playing this in bursts. I am already enjoying the QR facility even though I haven't played any yet. I can tell that although I am working my way through the early challenges quite quickly, the game is likely to get devilishly hard at the end, and I will be welcome of some QR light relief to stop my head exploding!

disco

When I unlocked the puzzle maker, my first thought was to make a phallus themed puzzle. I can't be the only one to have thought that? Right? :S

I downloaded it an hour ago. I finished the tutorial and part of the first world. Awesome, just awesome.

Easily my favorite 3DS game right now (not counting OOT because, well, after all is a Nintendo 64 game).

Top Bottom