• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putting an amiibo against my controller to unlock something does not feel fun.

Im actually quite baffled by this, because in a other thread me and other suggested that but then got responses like that would devalue amiibos. However before that, like in this thread, 95 % of the people were writing "oh yeah i have amiibos but i dont use it for dlc" i was like wtf lol. What is it now?
It wouldn't devalue anything because some people would still want the physical product, what a silly argument. There are people who legitimately like to collect things. There are people who would want a physical keepsake of their favorite character, or a collection of characters from their favorite game. They're still going to want to buy the actual amiibo toys. It's not like if I, as someone who likes to collect stuff, had the option of paying $12 for an actual figure of Pit from Kid Icarus or paying $12 for a digital figure of him, would pick the digital one. I'd still buy the actual toy.

It's the same thing behind digital games VS physical!! Do digital games devalue physical games!? Lol wtf kind of reasoning is that. Some people don't want the clutter and some people like looking at box art or seeing all the spines in order on their shelves.

So amiibo are bad because you suck at shopping? ��

I would not in any way shape or form classify the shit one needs to go through to get Nintendo products normal "shopping". You have to either camp out overnight the day of release or have like 3 different alerts on your phone watching stock levels and tracking inventories across multiple physical and online retailers so you can order them at a moment's notice before they're gone forever. That isn't shopping. That's bullshit that a lot of us have learned to deal with to get what we want.

Won't be long until amiibo unlock loot boxes.
How low can we go!

I might not be remembering what loot boxes are correctly but they sort of already do that in Breath of the Wild, with the randomized armor pieces you have to scan daily for -___-

JC Lately

The thing about the "this shitty DLC locked behind a figure paywall" argument, I totally get that people don't want to collect figures. I think Nintendo should also offer some kind of Virtual amiibo for those people.

However, IMO comparing amiibo to normal DLC is totally, 100% missing the point.

When I buy a Mario amiibo, that "DLC" works across like 15-20 different games at this point, and will continue to work for more games in the future. And it cost $12. That's $12 for Mario Kart skins, for coins and health in like four different Zelda games, for items in Animal Crossing, items in Kirby, etc etc. It also currently works across three different hardware platforms. No other DLC on any other platform works like that. When I buy a costume in Dead or Alive, I just spent $3 for a costume in Dead or Alive. It wont work in Dead or Alive 2, or Crash Team Racing, or PlayStation All Stars, or God of War, or Horizon Zero Dawn. It ONLY works in that one game. If I pay $12 for a new level in Spyro Remastered, then I get that one level and that's it. Nothing else in any game, ever.

In this aspect, amiibo is the BEST version of DLC any company could ever make - especially if Nintendo made a virtual version of them for people who don't want the clutter of owning the actual figures. Have a Virtual Mario amiibo tied to your Nintendo ID? Then you get all the perks across all those games that someone with the figure would too, without having to own the figure. Then you make a one-time payment for a DLC unlock across dozens and dozens of games on multiple platforms for the foreseeable future.

This was a sound argument – hell I’ve made it myself. But it breaks down when Nintendo start offering multiple version of the same character amiibo.

How many Links are we up to? Marios? Samus (Samuses? Samui?)? Inkling Boy/Girl/Squid? Peaches? I think we’re up to three Bowsers at this point, but damn if I can find a Rosalina&Luma. And they all do something different, depending on the game in question? The “Multi-Game, Multi Generational” rationale is rapidly falling apart.

Jubenhimer

Locking content behind a physical, hard-to-find object is not only not fun, it's worse than DLC in every way possible.

Except most of the time, said content is inconsequential stuff like skins or cheats that don't impact enjoyment of the game if you don't use them. Plus, one amiibo can work across multiple games, adding to their value. There are some poor implementations of amiibo, but don't blame the amiibo itself, blame the people using it. But of course, this is the internet. Everything Nintendo does is either 100% perfect or the worst thing in the entire industry. There's no winning with either side.

This was a sound argument – hell I've made it myself. But it breaks down when Nintendo start offering multiple version of the same character amiibo.

How many Links are we up to? Marios? Samus (Samuses? Samui?)? Inkling Boy/Girl/Squid? Peaches? I think we're up to three Bowsers at this point, but damn if I can find a Rosalina&Luma. And they all do something different, depending on the game in question? The ”Multi-Game, Multi Generational" rationale is rapidly falling apart.

*shrug* I dunno, I still think it wouldn't be a problem. Special edition amiibo would unlock new things so there's still incentive for people to buy the digital versions just like there's incentive to buy the special editions of the physical versions. How many people do you think own both the Classic 8-Bit Mario AND the Modern colored one, for example? Or the ROB and Famicom ROB amiibo? Those in particular do the exact same thing, Famicom ROB offers nothing unique over NES ROB, yet many people (including myself) own both for whatever reason. Also the new "Player 2" versions of the Bayonetta and Cloud amiibo.

I have a Gold Mario and two 30th Anniversary Marios and I'm gonna get Mario Odyssey Mario. They all have overlapping features but they also have unique features too. The digital versions would be exactly the same. $12 for Gold Mario and you can use it in games A, B, C, D, and E, but since it's the Gold Mario you also get a special different thing in game E. You could buy Normal Mario and get the Mario skin in Mario Kart 8DX for your Mii or you could buy the Gold Mario and have the Mario Mii in MK8DX and the Gold Mario skin in Mario Maker. That kind of a thing.

Going back to the original idea, people already buy DLC piecemeal for every game individually, so even multiple versions of the same digital amiibo that works across dozens of games while also giving you unique bonuses in some is still a good value comparatively. And hell maybe they'd make the digital amiibo a little cheaper as an incentive. I don't think they would, or need to, but they could.

Another point is that the digital amiibo would continue to make Nintendo money LONG after the physical versions are impossible to find. So you'd have people happy they can still unlock that skin or level or minigame via the digital amiibo and you have money in the pocket of Nintendo for what amounts to little more than a digital key.

But I really don't see the "multiple versions of the same character" thing being any kind of problem. People buy multiples of the same physical character for the new unlocks they offer and they'd likely do the same for the digital ones. Maybe it's even better that way, you just buy the one physical Mario amiibo you really like, and then get the rest digitally so you still have access to their unlocks without needing a shelf just for your 7 Mario figures.

It would be more fun with those Skylander portals with flashing lights and stuff.

Just putting it awkwardly on the analog stick of the Switch joycon sucks.

NeonZ

How many Links are we up to? Marios? Samus (Samuses? Samui?)? Inkling Boy/Girl/Squid? Peaches? I think we’re up to three Bowsers at this point, but damn if I can find a Rosalina&Luma. And they all do something different, depending on the game in question? The “Multi-Game, Multi Generational” rationale is rapidly falling apart.

They're still giving support to old ones though. The very first Link Amiibo can still give you the Twilight Princess tunic and Epona in Breath of the Wild, so in spite of multiple versions, they aren't breaking legacy support.

KtSlime

Have you tried doing sound effects and making dialogue with goofy voices while putting your Amiibo on your controller?

Player: "Ack so many bokoblins, I need help"
Toon Link Amiibo: "Here let me help"
Player: "What do I need fish for!"
Isabelle Amiibo: "Hi ther..."
Player: "Go Away nobody wants you!"

JC Lately

Have you tried doing sound effects and making dialogue with goofy voices while putting your Amiibo on your controller?

Player: "Ack so many bokoblins, I need help"
Toon Link Amiibo: "Here let me help"
Player: "What do I need fish for!"
Isabelle Amiibo: "Hi ther..."
Player: "Go Away nobody wants you!"

You jest, but Wolf Link saved my as countless times in the early hours of BOTW.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
This would be less of an issue if Nintendo could actually get product in the pipeline. Amiibos should not be rarities, they should be readily available for anyone who wants one.

Except most of the time, said content is inconsequential stuff like skins or cheats that don't impact enjoyment of the game if you don't use them. Plus, one amiibo can work across multiple games, adding to their value. There are some poor implementations of amiibo, but don't blame the amiibo itself, blame the people using it. But of course, this is the internet. Everything Nintendo does is either 100% perfect or the worst thing in the entire industry. There's no winning with either side.

So your defense for this is "the stuff they unlock sucks anyway"? A bold strategy, Cotton.

Fisty

Agreed with OP, the figurine quality is generally great, but their implementation is very lackluster when compared to what they are in theory capable of adding to the gameplay experience.

I would really enjoy a "coin collection" style amiibo line. Give me the bases with the data chip and nothing else. I could store them easily and efficiently without worrying about damaging the figures.

Jubenhimer

This would be less of an issue if Nintendo could actually get product in the pipeline. Amiibos should not be rarities, they should be readily available for anyone who wants one.

So your defense for this is "the stuff they unlock sucks anyway"? A bold strategy, Cotton.

I'm saying that the stuff amiibo unlocks is often in-consequential and not needed to enjoy the game, and in the case of BotW can be unlocked through conventional means anyway. Plus, if a mode is locked behind amiibo, the game usually comes with the amiibo you need to unlock said mode. Twilight Princess came bundled with the Wolf Link amiibo which unlocks that extra dungeon.

Like I said, not all amiibo support is good, but it's not "the worst form of DLC imaginable" or some hyperbolic BS. However, I do agree that Nintendo should do a better job at shipping amiibo, and stop making some of them retail exclusive.

Peltz

This was a sound argument – hell I’ve made it myself. But it breaks down when Nintendo start offering multiple version of the same character amiibo.

Thank you! Exactly my fucking point!

It would be absolutely different if one character was all you needed for everything in that series. But that's not how they work. And that's bullshit. The ecosystem of products you need to buy into is simply too big if you want to access all of a game's features. Why shouldn't I have 100% access to a game's features for a reasonable price instead?

Rncewind

I'm saying that the stuff amiibo unlocks is often in-consequential and not needed to enjoy the game, and in the case of BotW can be unlocked through conventional means anyway. Plus, if a mode is locked behind amiibo, the game usually comes with the amiibo you need to unlock said mode. Twilight Princess came bundled with the Wolf Link amiibo which unlocks that extra dungeon.

Like I said, not all amiibo support is good, but it's not "the worst form of DLC imaginable" or some hyperbolic BS. However, I do agree that Nintendo should do a better job at shipping amiibo, and stop making some of them retail exclusive.

can you tell me how i can unlock followers like wolf link in botw?

also if i buy twilight princess digital am i second rate customer? For giving nintendo more money by cutting out the retailer?

zMiiChy-

Banned
I don't mind really, I actually get a weird satisfaction scanning the Toad Amiibo to trigger hunts in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

The real problems are not having the unlockable content as purchasable DLC, and Nintendo not manufacturing enough of the things.

The figure quality of Amiibo is actually very good considering their price, but not everyone wants to keep plastic toys on hand.

That isn't true at all. BotW has a fucking TON of content you can only unlock with amiibo. There's an entire line of Zelda amiibo with 7-8 figures in it that are the only way to unlock certain weapons and armor sets. And good fucking luck finding any of them in stores if you didn't preorder, especially since the last wave of them had amiibo that were store and online retailer exclusives. I was on the ball and I still missed the Twilight Princess Link, though I have Smash Link so in the end it doesn't really matter that much, in-game content wise.

Thank you! Exactly my fucking point!

It would be absolutely different if one character was all you needed for everything in that series. But that's not how they work. And that's bullshit. The ecosystem of products you need to buy into is simply too big if you want to access all of a game's features. Why shouldn't I have 100% access to a game's features for a reasonable price instead?

No. Absolutely not. Do you think if Nintendo only ever released Smash Link and that was IT forever, people wouldn't complain and want figures representing other versions of Link from other games? They should only make one Mario and never any others based on any other games that come out over the course of 5-10 years? Ridiculous! That isn't how collectible figures work, especially now that we have a line of toys directly from Nintendo where they can make figures that would have NEVER gotten any form of collectable in the past. And that's exactly what amiibo are - collectible figures, with the bonus of unlocking content across dozens of games and different hardware.

The trade-off would be what I suggested earlier, with the digital amiibo so that you can buy the ONE Mario figure you really like, and if there are others that come out that offer game-specific unlocks, you buy them digitally like normal DLC so that you don't need to have 5 Mario toys sitting on your shelf with 12 Links and 3 Samuses.

I 100% agree that people should not be forced to buy physical amiibo. Even if Nintendo weren't completely fucking incompetent at keeping figures on the shelves and retailers could have literally unlimited space for the 100s of amiibo that would eventually come out, unless you're some mad man with a ton of money and space in your house you're not going to want to buy every one of them in figure form, and that's bullshit when they lock stuff like Fierce Deity Link behind an amiibo that was a retailer exclusive and sold out in a matter of hours before it was even available in stores. Making Fierce Deity Link a $12 DLC code is a fucking rip off too though when the Link amiibo that unlocks him also works in like 10 other games. The solution is they need to make digital amiibo, that way they will never sell out, never be hard to find, never cost people $30-40 on eBay, never force people to import from other countries, never take up a ton of space in your house. The functionality would be exactly the same, it would be tied to your Nintendo ID so you'd be able to "take them" anywhere with you just like the real thing, the physical amiibo could still exist along side them for collectors, and the world would find balance.

Nintendo made that sticker collecting game for 3DS, I can't believe amiibo have been around for as long as they have and Nintendo hasn't implemented SOME form of a digital collection tied to your Nintendo account, let alone digital copies of the amiibo and their functionality. Click on your friend's ID and you get to see their online status, what game they played last, and which amiibo they have. It seems like a no-brainer to me, like something Sony or Microsoft would have done out the gate if they ever did something like amiibo, like their Trophies and Achievements that people collect and show off to friends, but then again Nintendo's MO for the past several years seems to be "One Step Forward Two Steps Back" so I guess I shouldn't really be that surprised.

Estoc

So far, with my experience mainly being Zelda and Splatoon, I've got to say that the DLC from amiibo feels like those pre-order weapon bonuses in other games, they make your game easier, but the gears are easily replaceable. They aren't anything essential to your experience.

With that said, it does suck that they are locked behind rare-ish physical items.

As for the "not fun" part, I've never given it much thought, but I guess since I only buy them for the figure, I just view the whole unlocking as a cool little extra.

I guess my attitude towards amiibo is rather neutral, I just wish they are more available. It sucks having to camp my local shops for restock... (Online shopping isn't that..hmm 'available' where I live)

Peltz

No. Absolutely not. Do you think if Nintendo only ever released Smash Link and that was IT forever, people wouldn't complain and want figures representing other versions of Link from other games? They should only make one Mario and never any others based on any other games that come out over the course of 5-10 years? Ridiculous! That isn't how collectible figures work, especially now that we have a line of toys directly from Nintendo where they can make figures that would have NEVER gotten any form of collectable in the past. And that's exactly what amiibo are - collectible figures, with the bonus of unlocking content across dozens of games and different hardware.

I don't mind them having multiple types of Link amiibo. I was actually saying that all zelda amiibos should unlock all Zelda amiibo content. That way you don't have to buy a specific figurine for a specific piece of DLC.

Once you buy into the series, you should be good to go. You could of course buy more if you want more figurines. But they shouldn't unlock different types of content per amiibo in the same game.

The way it's set up now is prohibitively expensive if you want all of the content in a game.

I don't mind them having multiple types of Link amiibo. I was actually saying that all zelda amiibos should unlock all Zelda amiibo content. That way you don't have to buy a specific figurine for a specific piece of DLC.

Once you buy into the series, you should be good to go. You could of course buy more if you want more figurines. But they shouldn't unlock different types of content per amiibo in the same game.

The way it's set up now is prohibitively expensive if you want all of the content in a game.

Ooooh ok I see what you're saying. That wouldn't really work from a business perspective but yes, it would be nice if they let all amiibo of a certain character work the same across all games.

I totally get the OP's argument, and it's a very good one. But at the same time I also fully admit that I sorta like Amiibo for the simple reason that I like toys, and having collectible figures of Link and Zelda that happen to unlock in-game cosmetics is the kind of jam I will get behind even if it's essentially nothing but physical DLC. Thus far we haven't seen any MAJOR types of content being completely locked behind Amiibo, though - ie, extra story modes - and I think if we ever do see that sort of thing, I'll very much draw the line and call it out as bullshit.

BTW, after looking at a lot of the Amiibo gripes in this thread I think a lot of the problems people have with them are also issues with Nintendo of America and the fact that in the US these things are retailer-exclusive. If I lived in the US and was forced to hit up Best Buy or Amazon to get 'em I'd probably be pissed. Here in Hong Kong, though, we get 'em straight from Japan and there's not nearly as much of a shortage, so I guess that could be an additional reason for my tolerance.

Top Bottom