• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putting rice in a burrito is like putting pineapple on pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

berval

If some people don't like certain foods, why don't they just not eat it and move on? Instead, they go around trying to convince others that they are doing things the wrong way. It's pretty annoying. I like rice on my burritos and pineapple on my pizza and it's cool if you don't. Everyone has different tastes.

KKRT00

You know how when you have an office pizza party, and there's that one dude who always insists on getting pineapple, so at the end of the party you have 6 slices of pineapple leftover and no sausage or pepperoni? These are those guys.
Which is funny, because i know maybe only few people that dont like pineapple on a pizza.
And i dont think that i ever was on a party where any pizza left, even if that was eating it next morning.

flyover

Rice takes space away from meat and guac, it has a negative effect on the quality of a burrito.

Yeah, it's just filler. I mean, I've had plenty of burritos with rice that were great, but given the choice, I don't want or need it.

Patriots7

Allergic to pineapples. But Pizza should only be enhanced with meat (sausage, bacon or ham) and peppers (I like green but I can fuck with banana or jalapeños). Topped with a fried egg and green onions are acceptable to if we're being fancy.

But I like rice in my burritos.

Ronin Ray

If some people don't like certain foods, why don't they just not eat it and move on? Instead, they go around trying to convince others that they are doing things the wrong way. It's pretty annoying. I like rice on my burritos and pineapple on my pizza and it's cool if you don't. Everyone has different tastes.

No pineapple on Pizza should be banned. Think of the children sir!!!!

ZeroX03

Banned
Pineapple changes the taste and flavor of a pizza dramatically: that's why it's polarizing.

Rice merely adjusts the texture and adds a bit more size to a burrito. I'm cool with having a bit of it.

Einbroch

Banned
You're right. It is. Small, thin slices of pineapple on a pizza is good, just like some rice in a burrito is good.

It's when you overload them that they're ruined.

Nori Chan

Pineapple on a pizza is shit.

Rice in a Burrito is awesome as long as it's not like Taco Bell status where it's nothing but rice.

Where I went to college, there was a great little burrito place, Pancheros*, and their tagline for their big 2lb "El Gordo" burrito was that it was "as big as your head." Two pounds, and not a single grain of rice. Tortilla, refried beans, meat of your choice, some cheese, some sour cream, maybe some salsa... wrap that shit up, put it back on the grill to sear the tortilla, you got your fuel for your drunken walk back to the dorm. Glorious. Went back there a few years ago, to relive the memories and I about gagged on the Chipotle-ized rice.

Now that I've had a few more, and experienced other chains that use rice too, I'm used to it, and it's alright but... it's definitely the inferior option. I highly recommend giving refried beans a try. Only reason I can think of using rice is for the cost. Once you go refried, you won't want to go back.

(* Just looked them up on Wiki to see if they documented their recipe, and discovered that although it's a chain now, my drunken memories are from their very first store.)

1) Rice in burritos is essential
2) Pineapple on pizza is delicious
3) Fries in a burrito with guac (California Burrito) is also delicious

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
refried beans are grooossssssssssssss

On paper these things sound objectively bad, yet I love both. I can at least explain why I enjoy rice in my burrito (cilantro and lime are two of my favorite things, it's more filling, I like the texture, ...) but I cannot put into words why I enjoy pineapple (paired with ham, of course) on a pizza. Sweet pizza is wrong, but I will order "Hawaiian" any chance I get. Some day I'll pay for my sins, but in the mean time leave me alone to wallow in my sweet, greasy delirium.

Rice Pizza

wheat-free-rice-crust-pizza.jpg

Pineapple burrito

cantina3.jpg

linko9

Topic is correct, but OP is turribly misguided. These things are indeed similar in that they both are required for making the optimal form of each food. Different in that Pizza can be Pizza without pineapple, Burrito without rice is silliness.

i've said it before and i'll say it again

pineapple has NO BUSINESS being on pizza.

but spanish rice always belongs in burritos

so your half right OP

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
-"rice is a side dish, it has no place in the burrito"
-puts fucking french fries inside the burrito

Look, I'm not even arguing that it's delicious, I'd eat a french fry+meat burrito right the fuck now, but that's some god-tier cognitive dissonance right there.

What the hell is that crispy looking thing in Exhibit 1? Are there Fritos in that burrito?

Edit: French fries I guess.... Exhibit 1 looks like Taco Bell, while Exhibit 2 looks like an actual burrito.

That's a "california burrito". It's delicious and not a Taco Bell thing at all.

Rice doesn't belong on every burrito just as pineapple doesn't belong on every pizza. To say that pineapple never belongs on pizza and that rice never belongs in a burrito is objectively incorrect. Even taking the subjective nature of opinions into account.

Los Angeles burritos are absolute dogshit.

More objectively terrible opinions.

ReAxion

Rice is a blank slate, it cannot negatively affect the flavor of a burrito, merely clouds the main ingredient. I don't find this acceptable.

Pineapple can and does negatively affect the taste of the pizza it's on. If you like it, then fine. Go ahead.

People from SF take bags of SD burritos home with them on the plane. I seent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom