• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo |OT| The True Puzzle Fighter

Kouriozan

It makes me really happy to see that Puyo Puyo is about to become an internationally recognized franchise.

Same and about time!
Long time lover of Puyo Puyo and Panel de Pon (Puzzle League), let's hope Nintendo will release a new entry soon (and in the West) and I couldn't be any more happier.

S2

Translated Taipei Game Show interview with Puyo producer Mizuki Hosoyamada
http://puyonexus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3241

Some excerpts:
The Puyo Puyo Series has got many supporters overseas already at the start, but when Sega released the English versions of Puyo Puyo Fever in US/EU, sales figures were not up to expectation. Thinking that perhaps overseas players might not have high acceptance for puzzle games, so for a long time there hasn't been any overseas versions. In fact, as Hosoyamada began to produce Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary (2006), he had considered whether to release overseas versions, but worrying about both not recovering localization costs and insufficient player numbers, overseas versions did not become a reality after all.

Many players asks if the traditiinal Chinese version of Puyo Puyo Tetris for PS4 will use separate servers for online battles, or if players could battle overseas players. Hosoyamada reveals specially that all PS4 ports of Puyo Puyo Tetris will use the same server. This detail might not be known even to Japanese players, being first revealed in this interview. Therefore, players can link to players from other overseas regions at any time, making no need to worry not being able to make any matching. Sega has been trying hard to push Puyo Puyo Tetris to the whole world for more people to play, and in Japan it is made to almost all major console platforms.

yay preorder items
tumblr_ok97lnl5Tr1ueqs8po1_1280.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
Watched some chaining videos and started practicing with Puyo Vs today in preparation of the switch version. I see many lunch break Puyo Puyo matches in my future :D

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Watched some chaining videos and started practicing with Puyo Vs today in preparation of the switch version. I see many lunch break Puyo Puyo matches in my future :D

I've actually been doing the same.

I can build up to a second floor more consistently now but my color management always goes to shit and I keep popping key pieces too early.

S2

yay preorder items
tumblr_ok97lnl5Tr1ueqs8po1_1280.jpg
tbh I thought SEGA was just gonna rehash some Japanese Puyo Tetris merch but it looks like they made some new keychains just for the Switch release (at least, I think they're new). They're nice!

I've actually been doing the same.

I can build up to a second floor more consistently now but my color management always goes to shit and I keep popping key pieces too early.
hey, if you've got replays, I can take a look and maybe see how you could be placing the pieces better

Which videos have you watched so far? I'm trying to figure out what's most helpful for beginners.

XaosWolf

I'm disappointed that PPT wasn't unveiled during the Switch presentation. That would have blown me away even more than Mario Odyssey.
I didn't think this had a snowball's chance in hell of getting localised considering the Teris/Ubisoft license purgatory.

I bought a copy for PS4 and Vita already despite being no good at Puyo, but the Switch is the perfect system considering there's 2 controllers built in.

I think Tetris will always be the king in the west but even if those who buy it over here exclusively play Tetris when online then at least the Japanese players can get in on some crazy equal grounds for Puyo vs Tetris. =D

Now to stick around in this thread and the inevitable OT on release for some sweet Puyo tips. I can get 5 chains pretty consistently now but its all over when garbage start appearing or more colours come into play. =/

Tetris I can hold my own on at least!

Well, finally got some time to sit down with Chronicles proper. As someone not super versed in Puyo, it's been... fine, I guess lol

Can't really shake the feeling of same-y-ness with 20th. Characters are minus a few, plus
, modes are minus a few, plus Big Bang from PuyoTet... it's just a bummer to have another anniversary game but with what feels like so little new. Especially confusing is the decision to make the remaining 20th characters and a few Madou characters RPG mode-only despite having near-complete voice and animation sets. It just seems super arbitrary.

Obviously the RPG mode is the big focus for new content, but it just felt like a real drag to me. Identical environments and constant enemy recolors gave off the impression that they were really stretching what they had thin. Plus, even as a Puyo novice, enemy battles just weren't very engaging at all. On the positive side, it was nice to have so much story and dialog, the writing and voice acting were really charming, and I think the 3D models look great but... I really would happily trade the RPG mode for more multiplayer content.

So, I mean, I'm having fun with it, but at the same time it's been a bit underwhelming. Haven't messed with online yet so I don't really know if anything's changed or improved there. That's my unqualified opinion on the game thus far, lol. Apologies if I'm mistaken about anything.

I'm disappointed that PPT wasn't unveiled during the Switch presentation. That would have blown me away even more than Mario Odyssey.
I didn't think this had a snowball's chance in hell of getting localised considering the Teris/Ubisoft license purgatory.

I bought a copy for PS4 and Vita already despite being no good at Puyo, but the Switch is the perfect system considering there's 2 controllers built in.

I think Tetris will always be the king in the west but even if those who buy it over here exclusively play Tetris when online then at least the Japanese players can get in on some crazy equal grounds for Puyo vs Tetris. =D

Now to stick around in this thread and the inevitable OT on release for some sweet Puyo tips. I can get 5 chains pretty consistently now but its all over when garbage start appearing or more colours come into play. =/

Tetris I can hold my own on at least!

The Puyo discord went pretty wild during the Switch presentation as the night went from rumors of localization -> PPT appearance in sizzle reel -> people noticing the Japanese website mentioning worldwide netplay -> official confirmation of western release

Sega seems to have finally settled on 4-color as the general standard, so you don't have to worry about terrible, awful 5-color boards

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

I really hope those Joycons don't feel like shit for 2D/digital games.

It seems like the D-buttons + face buttons should suffice fine when playing solo but I'm a little skeptical of how it'll feel when using just 1 of those controllers at a time.

XaosWolf

Sega seems to have finally settled on 4-color as the general standard, so you don't have to worry about terrible, awful 5-color boards

Oh good. For me 5 colour feels like someone snuck a pentomino in with the usual Tetriminos.

It seems like the D-buttons + face buttons should suffice fine when playing solo but I'm a little skeptical of how it'll feel when using just 1 of those controllers at a time.

I'd love it if there's an option of flipping the single joycon and using the buttons as a Dpad with the stick as the rotation. Would lose triggers though... maybe a vertical orientation so you can still press them.

That isn't gonna happen though.

S2

Yeah I'm worried too... I can manage Puyo with an analog stick but Tetris? It will take a lot of getting used to.

Well, finally got some time to sit down with Chronicles proper. As someone not super versed in Puyo, it's been... fine, I guess lol
even I thought Puyo Puyo Chronicle was a drag tbh lol.
I appreciated how you actually needed to know how to do 12 Chains if you wanted to kill the bosses quickly. But other than that the dungeons were really boring and uninspired... it's really all just a contrivance to give you grindy things to do.

The netplay is pretty good for a 3DS puyo though. Coop Boss battles are pretty exciting too if you can find another friend to play it with.

Argonomic

Also a long time puyo puyo fan (and panel de pon and its many variants).

Back in 1999 or so in college, I even wrote a quake 3 mod that turned the game into puyo puyo.

Some brains gotta match tiles? Only if chains are involved, mind you.

Argonomic

I must know more!

As a long time modder with a wider games interest, I had a long habit of recreating games in id's engines. Of the few to see public release, my side scroller "Target Quake" was probably the most substantial. I also created "Doom Must Fall", a Total Conversion of Doom, using One Must Fall assets.

My spin on the NES classic "Kings of the Beach Volleyball" within Quake 3 helped get me in the industry door, at 2015.

Eventually I transitioned to just making my own small games in OpenGL, mostly for the entertainment of my coworkers. Then I got into WoW and started making WoW mods instead.

Link1110

Awesome thread. Just last night I picked up puyo puyo 2 for super famicom off taobao. Very interested in 20th and Tetris as well.

Though I disagree with op about fever. I have a huge soft spot for it and own like 4 different versions of it. Played the hell out of it back in the day

Peltz

I love these games. I will likely pick up the Switch version.

The only versions I own now are the Dreamcast version and Kirby's Avalanche.

S2

god i wish this was launch. never played puyo puyo before!

It's a launch title in Japan at least, so if you want, you could make a JP account on your Switch and DL it from the eShop.

I think I might be doing that I can't wait until April to climb the leaderboards again lol

S2

So who else is downloading the JP version of Puyo Puyo Tetris Switch tomorrow? We need to fight and become friends!! unless I die from the wait.

S2

OK I got the game. Here's my friend code! 4391-7804-1128

I'll probably be active a ton this following week because I'm on spring break. I think I have a realistic chance at hitting a top 20 spot...!!!

I am thiiiiiiis close to buying Puyo Puyo Tetris from the Japan eshop. Fell in love with the demo. Just feels great to play Tetris again..and that Fusion mode is genius.

How's the online? Any known issues?

I can't even find a Switch yet but I already have my preorder in for Puyo Tetris. Lol
My wife and I are huge fans of both games so the crossover was a dream come true for us.

S2

My ranking so far! I float around #12 in the world (the small, limited world of the Switch version lol)
aBdK31v.jpg

How's the online? Any known issues?
In terms of the userbase, netplay is really rough... most of the people online just play Tetris which sucks if you play Puyo lol. The current top 5 are 100% Tetris players.

The lag... well, 80% of the time it's smooth for me, 15% of the time it's the joycons extending or dropping my inputs, and 5% of the time the server lag will actually drop an input. Maybe slightly worse than PS4 netplay, but practically almost as good.

When does the mobile app come out? Unlike the PS4 version, you can't invite people from your friendlist to your casual club rooms...

-----

In other news, the English version of Puyo Puyo Tetris switch is also at this weekend's Switch and Play event in Los Angeles:
https://twitter.com/Kiyobi/status/838245292260515841
C6ILo3_U4AAffiG.jpg:small

OK I got the game. Here's my friend code! 4391-7804-1128

I'll probably be active a ton this following week because I'm on spring break. I think I have a realistic chance at hitting a top 20 spot...!!!
Added, getting game tomorrow. Pls body me thx <3

StayDead

qikzsd - 2065-0888-5698

I'm in the UK with the game on Switch (JP version obviously)

I'm not very good, but I'm looking for some non randomers to play if anyone else has it here (I see a few)!

I'm slowly getting better, but damn the people online are good. I don't suffer from any lag what-so-ever playing with people from Japan which is awesome.

S2

qikzsd - 2065-0888-5698

I'm in the UK with the game on Switch (JP version obviously)

I'm not very good, but I'm looking for some non randomers to play if anyone else has it here (I see a few)!

I'm slowly getting better, but damn the people online are good. I don't suffer from any lag what-so-ever playing with people from Japan which is awesome.

Sent you a friend request!

Since the Switch doesn't let you send messages or game invites to your friends (lol)... how about joining the Puyo community discord server? The link is in the OT. https://discord.gg/0k41S8ARwvY2iTIQ. We can set up a match there.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Me and PreyingShark had some really fun matches the other day, it was recorded: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/126901345?t=1h19m

Added

I want to play more Zelda but this game man.

And yeah those matches were great. I found some of them to be genuinely funny to be honest though, lol

The game looks clean on my 1080p monitor whereas games like splatoon like blurry as hell so i'd like to say it runs at 1080 when docked but i'm not 100% sure. It's certainly cleaner than zelda though.

Top Bottom