• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris on Switch is the most fun I've had with a puzzle game in years

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yo so Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Switch is the most fun I've had with a puzzle game in like years. Hell maybe since OG Gameboy Tetris.

I love all the modes. I like that it has a single player campaign. I love all of the single player arcade stuff. Local MP is so easy especially since you always have two joycons.

Plus online is really addicting even if I totally suck. It's fast to get into a match, and it's one of those games that's easy to say just one more. Plus the options to customize what game types you want to queue up for are great. I've also had fun playing online against some of my GAF friends.

Seriously I don't think I've been that into a puzzle game of this ilk in forever. Plus the unlocks are nice as another little carrot for all the playtime. Never thought Puyo Puyo Tetris would be one of my favorite games of the year, but here I am. Plus the discounted price especially if you go digital is great as well.

img_20170719_22043677za7.jpg

img_20170719_2204299zycu.jpg

img_20170719_220431r1l0e.jpg

img_20170719_220433aoacz.jpg

img_20170708_225023dqlvc.jpg

img_20170708_225040e1xx0.jpg

I sold a Switch based only in PPT. It was a blast with my coworkers and it still is. Table top mode was made for this game IMO.

I imported it for PS4 when it came out and put in a solid amount of hours on that, but having it on Switch really took it to a whole different level for me.

Terrell

I would have taken just a straight-up eShop only Tetris game, personally. But for what is offered, I really can't argue with the quality of what's been crafted. It's just really pricey for a Tetris game for me.

1upsuper

Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Tetris DS are probably my top three puzzle games.
Followed by Picross 3D.

Tain

as someone who likes TGM, it's been a lot of fun practicing four-wide on the Tetris side and the God Damn Basics on the Puyo side

The only physical game I have for Xbox One :D

It's really good.
I really wish we got a US version over here - I don't play my copy much just because the online is dead, even when I try the 3DS or Wii U versions it's dead. Of course the only US versions are for consoles I don't own...

I've been playing the demo for a very long time with a friend and by myself on the train. I didn't want to pay $30 for Tetris (the only part I play) but I recently decided to buy the full version because I really wanted to unlock and learn about all the characters in the game. I was surprised that the story mode was fully voice acted and lasts a pretty long time so it turned out to be worth it even though I really only do Tetris battles.

Wish there was more story though, I'm not satisfied with the ending leaving things the way it did.

You guys need to just keep practicing puyo. I'm awful at it but IMO since I bought the game it came out, I think it's way better to play than Tetris usually now.

I had some friends over and we played 4 player Tetris a few weeks ago and had a blast, definitely one of the better puzzle experiences I've had myself.

breakfuss

Absolutely! This is like one of the few games my girlfriend will actually play. And she stomps my ass most of the time. I'm not typically into the anime fanservice but the game is actually really charming and hilarious. The presentation is top-notch. There are numerous modes of play. Hell, there's even what appears to be a fleshed out campaign/story.

Everyone with a Switch needs this game.

Nick

This is my favorite game on the Switch, and that includes Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8.

Fireblend

Banned
It's an outstanding game. I've played it more than BotW, about 90 hours now. Not a day goes by that I don't get at least a couple of Puyo games in before bed.

Also, for the Puyo Puyo haters/frustrated: Practice makes perfect. I could barely make chains when I started and I still have a long way to go, but 10-chains are starting to be less rare for me, and I'm definitely better at setting good chains up. In fact I'm probably better at competitive Puyo Puyo than Tetris now. A good Tetris player can trash me pretty easily.

The only game I can compare it with is Tetris DS, easily one of my most played games ever. I can see this being up there too eventually.

It's not the most fun I've had with a puzzle game (Puzzle League, baby!), but damn is it extremely close. I absolutely love it in every way, and I'm glad it was my first purchase on the Switch.

I was surprised by just how much of the adventure mode there was, and that it was all voiced (with good voice work). It's all very cute and funny. Really, the game is just plain adorable, but will destroy you.

$30 (digital) was more than a fair price for me. I can see myself losing hundreds of hours in this, and the breadth of game modes is to be commended. Swap is really fun!

I'm mega shit at the game for now, but I hope to improve in both modes (but moreso Puyo).

Fireblend

Banned
Is it better than Tetris DS? That game was GOAT.
As someone who ranks Tetris DS as one of their favorite games ever, I would say it's about as good, removing some stuff and adding others from the Tetris DS formula. It has similar variety in terms of modes, plus a really good online and a very robust single player mode. Not to mention plenty of unlockables (characters, music, backgrounds, skins, etc). The style I think is very reminiscent of Tetris DS. In terms of visuals and music/sound design it's outstanding.

It's way more multiplayer focused since Puyo is an inherently competitive game, but it still has some decent single player offerings like the usual Tetris sprint/marathon modes, Puyo fever and endless modes, etc. The AI is also very good and has tons of variety in terms of difficulty and play styles so you can practice against it.

devonodev

It's up there with Tetris and Dr Mario as my favourite puzzle game. I consider myself pretty good at Tetris, I was top 5 on the Aus regional leaderboards in PPT for a while, but I had never played a Puyo game.

That just made it better! Finally a new puzzle game where I don't know how everything will fall into place. I struggle so much and I love it.

One of the best local multiplayer games on the Switch, story mode was much more fun than expected, and presentation all throughout the game is 10/10. So much better than the dark and moody Tetris Ultimate.

I even liked the English voices.

If I had to make one complaint though, Endless Tetris actually is endless. The pieces don't spin forever like in Tetris DS, but the drop speed never gets so fast that I can't keep up, it maxes out at level 15. I had a game that went over 2.5 hours, which I gave up due to boredom. Tetris Ultimate did a much better job of ramping up the difficulties at higher levels.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I thought that endless spin mechanic had been mandated by the tetris holding company. Wonder if they changed their mind.

Tailzo

My brother only plays soccer or dbz games. But now he has started to ask me to play this game every time he comes over.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man, people rage quit on Puzzle League mode ALL THE TIME. I was watching my wife play yesterday, and she had like 6 ranked matches, and like 4 different people quit the match. That sucks when you can't even finish 50% of your online matches!

Other than that, we LOVE the game here, it's our most played Switch game. I've tried to get my wife to enjoy Snipperclips, Death Squared, and Bomberman R... none of them have stuck.

This is also a great party game. I can get any adult to play this because virtually every adult on the planet over the age of 30 has played Tetris in their life. And introducing them to Puyo is pretty darn easy, match four colors... again every adult on the planet over 30 has played a shitty "match four things" game on their cell phone, so they can get the basics of it quickly!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd love to get it, but charging Switch owners £10 more for it is daylight robbery and I ain't supporting that.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Puyo Puyo Tetris is the best competitive puzzle videogame ever, simple as that.

Hmmmmm.... Panel De Pon or Puzzle Fighter? Puyo Puyo Tetris may win out because it literally has TWO of the best puzzle games ever in the same game, whereas the others just have, one. Obviously, lol.

I'd love to get it, but charging Switch owners £10 more for it is daylight robbery and I ain't supporting that.

It's not $29.99 on XBL/PSN?

I played the demo and was swiftly reminded why these sort of puzzles are my absolute worst genre, presentation and content seemed great though so I'm keeping it in mind when its cheap enough for my less puzzle orientated self to not get buyers remorse over a game I struggle with.

RRockman

Banned

Do you prefer physical? It's 29.99 on the eshop.

They did add a couple bonus Keychains to the physical version to balance out the extra cost.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People seriously need to learn to gitgud in Puyo. Yeah it's a bit hard to master and requires more complicated setups than tetris, but man it pays so well when you get it right.

Also I find it hilarious that in my side of the country it's actually cheaper physically lol

Top Bottom