• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris on Switch is the most fun I've had with a puzzle game in years

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I played the demo and was swiftly reminded why these sort of puzzles are my absolute worst genre, presentation and content seemed great though so I'm keeping it in mind when its cheap enough for my less puzzle orientated self to not get buyers remorse over a game I struggle with.

It helps if you play locally with someone else at your skill level. My wife and I both sucked at the game when we first played, but as we only play together we've both gotten better at the game together. It's fun!

People seriously need to learn to gitgud in Puyo. Yeah it's a bit hard to master and requires more complicated setups than tetris, but man it pays so well when you get it right.

I did a 6-chain combo (personal best!) once on my wife in Puyo and filled her screen to the top, but didn't KO her... then it switched over to Tetris and I LOST on the Tetris side. Heart breaking.

petran79

Banned
Puyo Puyo Tetris is the best competitive puzzle videogame ever, simple as that.

Cultris supports up to 10 simultaneous players. I tried it once but their level was far too high

maxresdefault.jpg

Joey Ravn

Banned
Puyo Puyo Tetris is great... but I don't like Puyo Puyo. The Switch needs a good and pure Tetris game. So not that Ubisoft shit or "Tetris Axis".

Tetris DS HD for Switch now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Do you prefer physical? It's 29.99 on the eshop.

They did add a couple bonus Keychains to the physical version to balance out the extra cost.

Should note, I'm in the UK, where there's no difference in price between physical and digital.

Man, people rage quit on Puzzle League mode ALL THE TIME. I was watching my wife play yesterday, and she had like 6 ranked matches, and like 4 different people quit the match. That sucks when you can't even finish 50% of your online matches!
They just announced a patch was in the works last weekend that would give harsher penalties to ragequitters, and I think give you the win when it occurred?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
They just announced a patch was in the works last weekend that would give harsher penalties to ragequitters, and I think give you the win when it occurred?

Yeah, I read that on their Twitter. My wife would enjoy playing someone from GAF who won't quit out. Anyone want to play tonight around 9 PM CST? We can setup a Discord channel!

I just discovered Discord and I'm trying to actually use it

vanty

Puyo Puyo Tetris is great... but I don't like Puyo Puyo. The Switch needs a good and pure Tetris game. So not that Ubisoft shit or "Tetris Axis".

I don't think there can ever be another Tetris Switch game since this game exists both physically and digital in all territories on the system. Tetris Company rules. OG GameBoy Tetris got pulled from the eShop a while ago because of this I think in order for something else to come out.

So question: I have the official Tetris app on my phone. I don't think I would like Puyo Puyo as much, but the jury's still out. But I do love Tetris as a little break in the day.

What's the appeal of this game over having Tetris on the phone?

8bit

Knows the Score

Unless something changed from the Vita version you can play it in Classic Tetris (or Puyo Puyo) mode.

FloatOn

I've played this with 66 year old mom.

goes to show you how timeless the gameplay is. truly an incredible game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So question: I have the official Tetris app on my phone. I don't think I would like Puyo Puyo as much, but the jury's still out. But I do love Tetris as a little break in the day.

Multiplayer is awesome, lots of game modes, getting 2 games in 1... I mean, try out the demo, it gives you a good feel for what the game is.

Playing Tetris on the phone, without buttons, sounds HORRIBLE. Props to you if you can actually play it that way...

Koren

I love the game, too, except for ONE thing: Fusion mode (well, I'm not fond of Tetris fever mode either). It's... strange, and really akward to plan for this.

Also, the campaign is far too easy, and I would like the computer not to be that weak (yes, online ranked is far more interesting, but most of the time, when I play Tetris/Puyo, I can't access online :( )

There's some great Puyo players online, I really wonder how they design their huge combo walls. I can do 15+ combos, but I use common structures, and half of the time, it's hard because I don't get what I want... They seems to drop puyos randomly in pack of 3, and when they drop the last one, everything works perfectly...

Unless something changed from the Vita version you can play it in Classic Tetris (or Puyo Puyo) mode.
It hasn't change, you can play pure Tetris if you want... Only the story mode will make you go through all modes, but you can skip story mode if you want, it's not unlocking anything of value.

(and online, you freely select the modes you want to play, and you only get those)
Playing Tetris on the phone, without buttons, sounds HORRIBLE. Props to you if you can actually play it that way...
I'd say it depends whether you want to play it in slower speeds, or if you really want to have a challenging rythm.

I have no issue playing lower levels on phone, but I wouldn't want to play competitive Tetris on phone. Actually, I wonder whether I should buy an arcade stick just for Tetris (I suspect it helps in really high speeds)

Fireblend

Banned

Tetris on a touchscreen just ain't right, man.

And for those basing Puyo Puyo, do give it an actual chance. Making chains upwards of say, 4, isn't something that's going to come super naturally to you unless you're a gifted Puyo player, IMO. That's the reason the full game comes with tutorials to teach you the ropes.

Sega also released some really good tutorial videos on their YouTube channel, and finally I wholeheartedly recommend the Puyo Nexus Wiki tutorial which is really good at introducing the basic and complex concepts of the game.

It's all about pattern matching and mechanical memory; at some point its about creatively setting up your combos yourself too, but you're not going to stumble upon a good, consistent base pattern without research and studying. It's like trying to get into the competitive fighting games scene but never looking at the tutorials or reviewing the games' meta.

If anything I like that the AI is as hard as it is (though there's definitely some weak AI characters too for people who really don't want to bother) because you really aren't playing Puyo Puyo until you can pull off longer combos and recognize patterns in the upcoming Puyo pieces. Finally pulling off a 10 chain is ridiculously rewarding and there's nothing like it in say, Tetris.

I love this game and I want to see every Puyo game come to the west from now on.

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
Plus online is really addicting even if I totally suck. It's fast to get into a match, and it's one of those games that's easy to say just one more.

What times of day (and in what timezone) do you usually play? I haven't tried recently, but when I did a while back, it was usually hard to even find an online opponent.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What times of day (and in what timezone) do you usually play? I haven't tried recently, but when I did a while back, it was usually hard to even find an online opponent.

I play in the evening East Coast time here. I get people from all over the world. From Germany to Japan and anywhere in between.

Shifty1897

Everytime I see someone rant about this game I get one step closer to buying it. The last puzzle game I was obsessed with was Dr. Mario on the Wii.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Everytime I see someone rant about this game I get one step closer to buying it. The last puzzle game I was obsessed with was Dr. Mario on the Wii.

Dr. Mario is my wife's FAVORITE puzzle game of all time... until Puyo Puyo Tetris. So take it from a fellow Dr. Mario fan, this game rocks.

Question: What is the deal with Fusion mode? When my wife and I play we go on FOREVER, the matches take soooo damn long. Are they supposed to, or do we just both suck at that mode and can't end a match? What are other people's experiences in Fusion mode like?

Fireblend

Banned
Dr. Mario is my wife's FAVORITE puzzle game of all time... until Puyo Puyo Tetris. So take it from a fellow Dr. Mario fan, this game rocks.

Question: What is the deal with Fusion mode? When my wife and I play we go on FOREVER, the matches take soooo damn long. Are they supposed to, or do we just both suck at that mode and can't end a match? What are other people's experiences in Fusion mode like?
Do you understand how combos work in Fusion? Unlike in other modes, your chain isn't broken when a combo "ends" and the next piece drops. You have a short time window to extend your combo during that time by either completing lines or popping Puyos.

What you're supposed to do is have a ton of "pops" and "lines" ready to go (again, don't worry about patterns or chains too much, just have 3 reds next to each other, 3 blues, 3 yellows, etc and a couple of almost-completed tetris lines), and when you want to attack, consecutively pop puyos/clear lines to accumulate a big combo which will turn into a big attack. There's a couple of good Fusion tutorials on Youtube, like the ones I mentioned on the Sega youtube channel.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Do you understand how combos work in Fusion? Unlike in other modes, your chain isn't broken when a combo "ends" and the next piece drops. You have a short time window to extend your combo during that time by either completing lines or popping Puyos.

What you're supposed to do is have a ton of "pops" and "lines" ready to go (again, don't worry about patterns or chains too much, just have 3 reds next to each other, 3 blues, 3 yellows, etc and a couple of almost-completed tetris lines), and when you want to attack, consecutively pop puyos/clear lines to accumulate a big combo which will turn into a big attack. There's a couple of good Fusion tutorials on Youtube, like the ones I mentioned on the Sega youtube channel.

Cool, I'll check them out and show my wife too.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, picked it up and enjoying it---wish I knew the Digital Version was 10$ cheaper though, but I guess the Keychains are cute.

I suck at Tetris though, took me like 20 tries to beat the second Story Mission of clearing 10 Lines but I feel it's good as a tutorial---I still don't get "T-Spins", like watching the tutorial my mind can't process how it works necessarily.

I'm a bit better on the Puyo Puyo side but not by much.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, picked it up and enjoying it---wish I knew the Digital Version was 10$ cheaper though, but I guess the Keychains are cute.

I suck at Tetris though, took me like 20 tries to beat the second Story Mission of clearing 10 Lines but I feel it's good as a tutorial---I still don't get "T-Spins", like watching the tutorial my mind can't process how it works necessarily.

I'm a bit better on the Puyo Puyo side but not by much.

2-line T-spins are not that hard, you don't even have to worry much about setting them up unless you're explicitly trying to provoke them (which is what you'll eventually want) because most of the base shape comes super naturally during normal play. Just keep your eye out for shapes like these:
Code:
X___X
XX_XX
Where X are blocks and _ the blank spaces. So basically look for a slot where a T piece would fit perfectly when oriented like a T, and then block one of the upper "corners", like this:
Code:
XX__X        X__XX
X___X   or   X___X 
XX_XX        XX_XX
Then you just drop the T on its side and when it touches the bottom, rotate it so that it fills the original T slot that you'd blocked. There's your 2-line T-spin. It's easy!
Code:
XXO_X        XX__X
X_OOX   ->   XOOOX 
XXOXX        XXOXX

3-lines T-spin are another beast altogether though lol
And I apologize for the shitty ascii art.

(mat)

I've been playing the demo of Puyo Puyo Tetris with my girlfriend for weeks. We keep saying "we should just get the full game", but the demo has juuust enough to keep us coming back to that for free. Haha.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
T spins fuck with some people because it wasn't something you could actually do in say OG gameboy Tetris. So a lot of people who haven't kept up with the series nuances don't understand some of the rotation shit you can do now when a block is about to be placed.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I've been playing the demo of Puyo Puyo Tetris with my girlfriend for weeks. We keep saying "we should just get the full game", but the demo has juuust enough to keep us coming back to that for free. Haha.

We did the same, like just played the demo for 2-3 weeks. Finally bit the bullet, it was a great decision. The game is fully worth $30, the single player content is great, especially if you have someone to play it with. My wife and I pass the controller back and forth on Story mode, or literally Swap the controller when its a Swap mode challenge! It's a lot of fun, and then there's online play and not having the hassle of having to restart the demo over and over after a 2P game.

It's awesome, buy it. If you've already enjoyed the demo, you'll enjoy the game more.

T spins fuck with some people because it wasn't something you could actually do in say OG gameboy Tetris. So a lot of people who haven't kept up with the series nuances don't understand some of the rotation shit you can do now when a block is about to be placed.

Yeah, I grew up with the GB Tetris and despite having Tetris DS, Party and Axis I still can't get my head around T (and other) spins.

It's a shame because if I'm playing standard Tetris v Tetris I win 95% of the time. But if I play against a very very good Puyo player or T spinner I feel I don't have much chance.

(mat)

We did the same, like just played the demo for 2-3 weeks. Finally bit the bullet, it was a great decision. The game is fully worth $30, the single player content is great, especially if you have someone to play it with. My wife and I pass the controller back and forth on Story mode, or literally Swap the controller when its a Swap mode challenge! It's a lot of fun, and then there's online play and not having the hassle of having to restart the demo over and over after a 2P game.

It's awesome, buy it. If you've already enjoyed the demo, you'll enjoy the game more.

Interesting. Thanks for the advice. I'm considering biting the bullet, but I just don't have the money atm. Just signed a lease on a condo I can't afford. Lol.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Fun Prank:

Play ARMS with your friends, then switch to Puyo Puyo Tetris and convince them you're playing with motion controls through a secret cheat code: Twist your writs left and right to rotate the pieces, move both joycons left and right to move the pieces, punch with both hands to hold your Tetris piece, and then punch to quick drop. Do all this while you press the buttons.

It's hilarious.

KodaRuss

Alright you have convinced me. I have heard nothing but good things about the game and its sale at best buy right now.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Okay that T-Spin explanation makes sense---the way it's shown in the in-game tutorial happens so fast it kind of confused me.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Alright you have convinced me. I have heard nothing but good things about the game and its sale at best buy right now.

GAF will guarantee your enjoyment of this game or your money back!

Please see our GAF guarantee associates at your local GameStop for your money back... at 20% of your purchase price.

Absolutely amazing game. I'm not even a huge puzzler fan, and I love it so much. I had never played a videogame with my wife, and now we play Puyo Puyo vs. all the time.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Absolutely amazing game. I'm not even a huge puzzler fan, and I love it so much. I had never played a videogame with my wife, and now we play Puyo Puyo vs. all the time.

Same here, the last time I purchased a puzzler before this was Tetris Attack on SNES... and I was 12 years old! My wife and I play nightly.

jahepi

Yeah, its a fantastic game but im not that good yet to play online, i played it once against a japanese guy who literally was a robot, i was defeated in less than 3 minutes, he was placing each piece so fast that i couldn't believe he was a human lol, i`ve never played online since then.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm so glad I saw this thread! I was still hesitant, despite buying it a few hours ago on BB, haha.

IMO it would've been a great buy at $60. At the current $23 it's an absolute no-brainer unless you absolutely, actively hate puzzle games.

Kenpa64

I have been playing the demo with my girlfriend since I bought the Switch. And we both have had a blast with it. It's really easy to take the joycons and start a game in the bed. Probably the best game to do that.
After this thread I thought it would be nice to buy it. Entered Amazon and it was at 24€. I instabought it. I guess I'll receive it by Saturday. I'm no good, but now I'll be able to train.

Wish I can play online someday.

RedToad64

I've been playing the demo for a very long time with a friend and by myself on the train. I didn't want to pay $30 for Tetris (the only part I play) but I recently decided to buy the full version because I really wanted to unlock and learn about all the characters in the game. I was surprised that the story mode was fully voice acted and lasts a pretty long time so it turned out to be worth it even though I really only do Tetris battles.

Wish there was more story though, I'm not satisfied with the ending leaving things the way it did.
Did you go back to the story mode after the credits rolled?

Peltz

I agree with the OP, excluding more adventure type games like The Witness and Portal 2.

As far as "block falling" type games, Puyo Puyo Tetris may be the best I've ever played.

Top Bottom