• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Yay Best Buy -_- Now to go to the store tomorrow.

JgSYVvhh.jpg
Holy shit. Did you get another copy?

Kovacs

Whelp, I've learnt very quickly that if I try to play Tetris like I'd usually play Tetris I'll get my rear handed to me in a battle.

Got to get in the Twenty-Twenty sprit and out of the 5-Day Test mindset.

Looking forward to learning Puyo-Puyo as well.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Having a blast with this. Been playing most of their afternoon, both docked and in portable mode.

My Pro controller d-pad does suck and register unintentional up presses which is lame, but the game plays well with the stick too and can always use the joycon grip (or separate joycons) docked to use the buttons which work great. I'll end up mostly playing portably after the first few days (especially when MK8 starts eating my docked gaming time.

Ludist210

I'm really digging this. The last Puyo Puyo game I played was Fever on DS, and having that mode in there makes me happy. Story mode is fun as well.

Well worth my $32 (thanks Best Buy GCU).

jonno394

Whelp, I've learnt very quickly that if I try to play Tetris like I'd usually play Tetris I'll get my rear handed to me in a battle.

Got to get in the Twenty-Twenty sprit and out of the 5-Day Test mindset.

Looking forward to learning Puyo-Puyo as well.

Huh?

I make a room online and my friend goes to " Join Friend" and I don't show up for him. He had to go find me in whichever mode I chose.

How does Join Friend work?

I got the digital English copy. If my buddy buys the JP release to avoid the nasty English dub will we be able to play online together? I'm guessing not with the two different SKUs on the eShop.

jonno394

I honestly never knew about T-spin until this game. How does the community feel about them?

Yeah I've just learned about this spinning stuff too. I think i preferred when things just simply slotted in. I doubt my family will be able to grasp it, so now that i know it exists im not gonna be able to not use it :/

Cindro

Does the story mode do a good job of teaching the basic mechanics and advanced mechanics of puoy/tetris/fusion? That will probably be the deciding factor on whether or not I pick this up!

is everyone buying it for the switch?

If you have a Switch, why wouldn't you buy it for Switch? It's a perfect portable, multiplayer game (two sets of joycons and you have 4 controllers, I still don't have 4 controllers for my PS4 after years of owning), and it's not demanding graphically.

Persona7

Banned
Do all physical Switch copies include the keychains or was that just for preorders?

I saw an unboxing of the NA copy without keychains or a cardboard box (it was in south america, I think) but everyone else is saying every copy comes in a cardboard box with the keychains.

Big Chungus

If you have a Switch, why wouldn't you buy it for Switch? It's a perfect portable, multiplayer game (two sets of joycons and you have 4 controllers, I still don't have 4 controllers for my PS4 after years of owning), and it's not demanding graphically.

i dont have 3 people to play locally :(

the people that i got to play the demo with showed no interest

MrBS

I only managed to watch the opening cutscenes of adventure mode before work this morning. Already amazing. I hope the Tetris movie can sport this kind of silliness.

Wallach

Explain, what is T-spin??

Rotating a T block in place to get it into a position you couldn't have otherwise dropped it into, basically. You have time to rotate a block on a line before it settles, and you can spin a T block into some tight spaces if you are careful.

I'm buying it for both. I wanted the PS4 version too because I think it will be quite hard to find in the future and I'd like to earn all the trophies.
Then I can go back and do the same on my imported Vita copy. :p

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Does the story mode do a good job of teaching the basic mechanics and advanced mechanics of puoy/tetris/fusion? That will probably be the deciding factor on whether or not I pick this up!

Story mode isn't really there to "teach" you. It's just there to give you increasingly difficult challenges for every mode. It's pretty easy to beat overall, but 3-starring every stage requires a fair bit of competency in both games.

The Lesson mode covers all the basic and intermediate how-to's for each game style. You can check out the Youtube channel for pro MLG tips if that's not good enough.

Borman

Holy shit. Did you get another copy?

Going to try tomorrow. Cant leave my parking spot.

OUCH

I won't be surprised if this is how my copy from Amazon looks like. It wouldn't be the first time either.

Best Buy has been good to me lately, shipping in boxes. They didnt this time, and shipped it in a bubble mailer. I could have dealt with the outer box being damaged since im lazy, but the inner box being wrecked means I get to go to the store tomorrow and hope for the best.

DKL

Thanks for this! Always heard about T-spins but never took the time to learn them. Now is the time, lol.

Looking to add you guys if you're down for some games: 1837-2728-2488

(I'll be getting MK8 as well)

It's still pretty hard even with the video lol

I can't seem to figure out all the combinations needed to get the square block with the chip on the top right corner for the second section of the board.

Gonna have to grind indefinitely >_>

EDIT:

Also, bought on Switch for portability.

alf717

OUCH

I won't be surprised if this is how my copy from Amazon looks like. It wouldn't be the first time either.

Yea they didn't do a go job with these. I was willing to let the small dent in the box go but even the label is pressed in and bent in in areas when there are no holes in the box. Also the clear plastic film on my case is wrinkled. This bummed me out real bad with Wii U games and now it looks like nothing has changed with Switch games. The game is really fun but the collector inside me is really annoyed. Went to the local Gamestop to pick up another copy and even those looked like a train wreak.

It's still pretty hard even with the video lol

I can't seem to figure out all the combinations needed to get the square block with the chip on the top right corner for the second section of the board.

Gonna have to grind indefinitely >_>

EDIT:

Also, bought on Switch for portability.

I could imagine how frustrating it'll be. Good thing this is portable so we can practice anywhere and everywhere, lol

S2

For video and explanation, I found this tutorial for T-spin setups pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVzKVVgy0Mg

I assume it's still relevant and that the rules haven't changed in decades :v
Thanks for this! Always heard about T-spins but never took the time to learn them. Now is the time, lol.

Looking to add you guys if you're down for some games: 1837-2728-2488

(I'll be getting MK8 as well)

I wouldn't rely too much on the ST Stacking Setup shown in this video. In Puyo Puyo Tetris's style of battle Tetris, the focus is more on stacking low so you can clear garbage holes. Take a look at the T Spin tutorials on SEGA's youtube channel or the setups on the Hard Drop wiki. Links in the OP.

So is t-spin better than a Tetris now?
In a mathematical sense, yeah. It only requires you to stack up two lines yet does the same damage as a Tetris.
You should still go for Tetrises if you need to clear garbage holes though.

weekev

Banned
I wouldn't rely too much on the ST Stacking Setup shown in this video. In Puyo Puyo Tetris's style of battle Tetris, the focus is more on stacking low so you can clear garbage holes. Take a look at the T Spin tutorials on SEGA's youtube channel or the setups on the Hard Drop wiki. Links in the OP.

In a mathematical sense, yeah. It only requires you to stack up two lines yet does the same damage as a Tetris.
You should still go for Tetrises if you need to clear garbage holes though.
thanks for this. Can't believe it's 2017 and I'm about to try a new skill (for me) in Tetris. What a time to be alive.

Tetris portion of this game seems a bit easy.

I've been doing an endless marathon for 25 minutes right now.

At 1.3 million before I paused.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Got my PS4 copy! Watched each Beginner level Tutorial then played through Act 1 of Story! Fun cast of characters and gameplay! But hearing those Puyo sound effects brought back horrible Mean Bean Machine memories... x.x; Hoping this games story mode will go much much easier on me!

Love the "ghost block" thing btw. Its pretty helpful so far, cool idea.

Top Bottom