• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

jonno394

Just finished chapter 7. The last two rounds were kicking my ass for a while. Great game. How difficult do chapters 8 onwards (the dlc stuff) get?

Chapter 7 is going to be a right bitch to 3 star :/

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The stuff after chapter 7 isn't that difficult.

The only tricky thing I remember is 3-starring 10-10. You basically have to stall with nothing but single-line clears so that you can build up enough points before the KO.

Was FINALLY able to get 3* on the stupid world 2 battle against jay and elle. I got some crazy opening set up that gave me a full clear and I just went ham from there.

Stopped at 4-10 for now, only other stage that's taken me multiple attempts was the world 4 swap battle against Ruffina. If I could get enough points I'd end up dead and if I had her on the ropes she'd die before I could score enough points. Was finally able to get the right combo where I countered her fever with my own 5 chain as a swap tetris happened.

lt519

Finished adventure mode, that was fun (oh shit reading posts didn't know there was an 8,9, and 10, awesome!). The fusion matches are certainly interesting and I got a hell of a lot better at Puyo in the little time that I played adventure mode. I'm getting good at grouping and building basic chains, but have a hard time thinking beyond 3-4 chains.

Decided didn't feel like online and wanted to tackle Endless Tetris mode. I had to give up when the game stopped counting the time...

2OwMED8.jpg

tsundoku

Finished adventure mode, that was fun (oh shit reading posts didn't know there was an 8,9, and 10, awesome!). The fusion matches are certainly interesting and I got a hell of a lot better at Puyo in the little time that I played adventure mode. I'm getting good at grouping and building basic chains, but have a hard time thinking beyond 3-4 chains.

Decided didn't feel like online and wanted to tackle Endless Tetris mode. I had to give up when the game stopped counting the time...

you didnt max the score out tho

lt519

you didnt max the score out tho

Haha, I thought about putting the Switch to sleep but didn't think 2 more hours of endless mode were worth it regardless of how much I spaced it out, had to end it to save myself. Maybe on a long flight one day.

Seik

Banned

And I thought my best friend was legit good by reaching 300K points.

This is inhuman. :lol

lt519

And I thought my best friend was legit good by reaching 300K points.

This is inhuman. :lol

My first go at it too, hence no previous high score :)

Tetris DS prepared me well, that games max level the pieces appeared instantly on your top row and you had to spin them constantly to move them around. If you didn't build level you were toast and you had to learn how to block openings and repair them immediately to stay alive.

You have to plan a few pieces ahead, but spinning pieces in place even when you have it in its spot buys you a few seconds to evaluate where you want your next piece. Like the boxes you can just keep hitting the spin button once it is in place and it gives you 3-4 seconds to plan your next several pieces. But mostly it is just instinctual.

mstevens

Okay - what the hell is up with the difficulty spike at 5-9? I've gotten 3 stars on every level (except two 2 stars) and I can't beat this guy. I played the 4 best tetris games of my life back to back and nothing sticks to him. I started off with a perfect clear, got several tetris in a row, etc etc.

3-10 just murdered a friend of mine and I. Our tetris game is clearly nowhere near the level it needs to be, and there's FOUR MORE CHAPTERS of this. Holy geez.

The crazy bit is that Tee is playing pretty slowly still, and somehow it doesn't matter. I managed to pull off three or four early tetrises, but once you make one or two little mistakes it's all over unless you're really, really good at clearing garbage, and despite that Twitch VOD from the fighting game dude, I'm nowhere near good enough with that. I keep covering up holes because there are no good options, but obviously that can't be the case, I'm just not seeing what the good options are.

ARRRRRGH. But also, so good. But also, ARRRRRRGH.

mstevens

3-10 just murdered a friend of mine and I. Our tetris game is clearly nowhere near the level it needs to be, and there's FOUR MORE CHAPTERS of this. Holy geez.

The crazy bit is that Tee is playing pretty slowly still, and somehow it doesn't matter. I managed to pull off three or four early tetrises, but once you make one or two little mistakes it's all over unless you're really, really good at clearing garbage, and despite that Twitch VOD from the fighting game dude, I'm nowhere near good enough with that. I keep covering up holes because there are no good options, but obviously that can't be the case, I'm just not seeing what the good options are.

Wait till 5-9, lol.

Finally beat it but only 1 star. Gotta shave 45 seconds off of it.

lt519

Okay - what the hell is up with the difficulty spike at 5-9? I've gotten 3 stars on every level (except two 2 stars) and I can't beat this guy. I played the 4 best tetris games of my life back to back and nothing sticks to him. I started off with a perfect clear, got several tetris in a row, etc etc.

Get a lot of Tetris ready and don't complete any lines in between Tetris, you get a Back to Back multiplier. On your 4th Tetris try and get as many line clears in a row for a 4-5 combo. I just did it fairly consistently this way, you just have to bombard him all at once.

23 seconds between my first Tetris clear and my 4th plus 1 or two double clears chained off the 4th Tetris. Can do it pretty consistently. Your other option is to learn T-Spins.

Sixfortyfive

"I'll have to give myself a pr-r-r-omotion!"

Probably not gonna last though. At this point unless your W/L ratio is seriously weighted toward the Ws it seems like rank-down matches are pretty common.

I kinda like that there's so many regional leaderboards so that players can set more intermediate goals, but GA's kinda stacked. :V

In general, the CPU isn't quick, but it's efficient at stacking cleanly and clearing garbage, so you basically just have to overwhelm and outspeed it all at once when possible.

Cerium

I cleared the campaign and my Tetris reflexes are good but I never bothered to learn the fundamentals.

Still don't even know how to T spin properly, let alone memorize patterns (I hate memorization).

I can't consistently get better than a 3 chain in Puyo.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I was going to write that I finished the main story and unlocked all characters, but then I read some replies and it looks like I'm not done yet! I really liked the adventure mode in this game. As ridiculous as the story is in the puyo games, it kept me interested enough to continue playing it and see how it would all turn out. I love this game.

MrPanic

Just had a great online session. 10 games in a row where I was about to win, the other person disconnected. Literally only ranked down because the only matches that finish are the ones I lose, even though I was beating the majority of my opponents.

Puyo Puyo Tetris was a mistake...

Wait till 5-9, lol.

Finally beat it but only 1 star. Gotta shave 45 seconds off of it.

I had quite a bit of trouble with 5-9. In all my attempts, I was rushing it, trying to clear lines as fast as I could. My best attempt was 1:31 or something like that (1 second too slow)...

Then I decided to take my sweet time carefully placing blocks and cleared the level in 56 seconds. :p
(replay here)

Jintor

i just cannot chain. for the life of me. i can' tget it. i just can't think fast enough

is there a mode in ppt that will actually train my brain for this game or do i just have to watch youtube videos and practice?

i can barely keep a decent tetris going let alone trying to learn to play puyo properly at the same time

zigg

I don't think I can do chapter 7. Fusion mode is just a big wet thud. How can this come from the same people who made the genius Swap mode?

is there a mode in ppt that will actually train my brain for this game or do i just have to watch youtube videos and practice?
I still suck, but I've got better watching a few fundamentals videos and just playing against CPUs and my kid.

Berordn

I don't think I can do chapter 7. Fusion mode is just a big wet thud. How can this come from the same people who made the genius Swap mode?

Fusion mode is easily the best mode in the game, and it's really not hard to play well enough in it to beat the CPU.

zigg

Fusion mode is easily the best mode in the game, and it's really not hard to play well enough in it to beat the CPU.
Oh, beating the CPU is fine.

It's actually achieving the points, plus enjoying the mode where I keep coming up short.

Finished the main story mode and I think I'm going to take a short break before getting into the post-game content. I struggled a bit in chapters 4 and 5 but honestly the end of the game was pretty smooth sailing. Still nowhere near 3-starring every stage, but I'm not sure if I'm that dedicated anyway.

How wacky can I expect chapters 8-10 to be?

I'm starting to get a lot better at tetris now. It's nuts how good the computer is in this game. There will be times where they just wreck a friend and me in most modes. I absolutely love this game

Cepheus

I'm on 127% in Adventure mode, so I guess the max is 130%. 10-10 wasn't nearly as difficult as 3-starring Party and Fusion stages. Fusion takes forever and isn't that fun, and I find Party to be too gimmicky to be enjoyable. Also, to 3-star a lot of the stages you basically have to hold yourself back. I felt like Dash running the race at the end of the Incredibles. You have to do really well, but not too well, or you'll defeat your opponent before you can rack up a high enough score to get 3 stars.

The only stages I haven't gotten 3 stars on are 6-5 and 10-6 (one star) and 4-10, 5-9 and 9-1 (two stars).

Kneefoil

The game randomly freezes for a few seconds in split screen multiplayer. Is this a normal problem?

Edit - on Switch btw

I've had that happen a few times, but I've just been playing single player. It's also been only a rare occurrence to me.

I own the game on a Switch cart.

Edit: And it's only been like half a second or so to me. Never multiple seconds.

I've had that happen a few times, but I've just been playing single player. It's also been only a rare occurrence to me.

I own the game on a Switch cart.

Edit: And it's only been like half a second or so to me. Never multiple seconds.

For me, it's about 2-3 seconds. I think it happened only on undocked mode so far. I downloaded the game btw.

i just cannot chain. for the life of me. i can' tget it. i just can't think fast enough

i can barely keep a decent tetris going let alone trying to learn to play puyo properly at the same time

The game doesn't have all that much hands-on interactive training at first glance, but there is enough variety in the adventure missions that you can use some them to train highly specific skills.

For instance, until this week I struggled to land anything more than a 3-chain except by accident. But once I bought the game I 3-starred everything through most of World 4, and spent about an hour just drilling one of the missions (4-4, I think) where you have to beat a score threshold in 30 seconds, and getting 3 stars practically requires a 4-chain. I just ran that one repeatedly, over and over, until I could consistently build 4-chains (and later 5-chains, though I'm still working on those) within the first 30 seconds. Then I took this to a standard Versus game to try it in a real situation.

So far I'm only doing staircase builds with any regularity, and my board vision for spotting chains in a messy mid-game (which is what Fever trains you to do) is exceptionally poor, but you would be amazed at how quickly you can improve with focused practice sessions where you work on one skill and one skill alone.

Likewise, when I still had the demo and hadn't bought the full game, I just kept on restarting Tetris over and over until I learnt the mechanics of how to even do a T-spin (and I mean the absolute basics of dropping the T into the slot and rotating it in the right direction). Worked on doubles, then worked on triples. Again, taking this into a real game where a messy mid-game pressures you into desperately clearing lines is a totally different story, but it's still worth working on, like practicing scales on a musical instrument.

steveovig

I'm starting to get frustrated with both games since apparently I'm no good at either. In Tetris, I can quickly pile up stuff and send down those straight blocks but that's it. I can't comprehend t-spins or anything else. I tried online and didn't do too well. In Puyo Puyo, I have improved a little but lately I haven't gotten much more than 4-chains. I keep practicing on sweet in Endless and sometimes on Medium though. VS. mode just destroys me especially on Puyo.

On the other hand, I had to quit Big Bang Tetris because it was way too easy.

Stopdoor

I'm starting to get frustrated with both games since apparently I'm no good at either. In Tetris, I can quickly pile up stuff and send down those straight blocks but that's it. I can't comprehend t-spins or anything else. I tried online and didn't do too well. In Puyo Puyo, I have improved a little but lately I haven't gotten much more than 4-chains. I keep practicing on sweet in Endless and sometimes on Medium though. VS. mode just destroys me especially on Puyo.

On the other hand, I had to quit Big Bang Tetris because it was way too easy.

One thing to get good at with Tetris that doesn't require T-spins is Back to Back Tetrises and combos. Just keeping a chain of clears going does extra damage. It's a bit more intuitive.

I've gotten a lot better at puyo puyo but I'm finding myself having two consistent issues

1) I'll get a bad color pair that I have no idea where to put it and that odd pair will inevitably come back to screw me later in a match

2) I'll create a few good triggers, and then make a bad break where my chain dies midway through giving me two smaller 3 chains as opposed to the big 6 chain I should have had.

Sixfortyfive

I've gotten a lot better at puyo puyo but I'm finding myself having two consistent issues

1) I'll get a bad color pair that I have no idea where to put it and that odd pair will inevitably come back to screw me later in a match

2) I'll create a few good triggers, and then make a bad break where my chain dies midway through giving me two smaller 3 chains as opposed to the big 6 chain I should have had.

I sort of have the same problems when I try to extend beyond a 7-chain or so. For the time being I don't really extend the chain much beyond the 1st floor in an actual match, and if I do, I just stack vertically on the tail end of it so that the final part of the chain is hopefully a lot larger than 4 puyos.

mstevens

I wish I could hire a Puyo Puyo Tetris coach for some private lessons lol

I can get 5 and 6 chains if I slowly build a GTR into sandwich, but the map gets really messy on the right side and I'm not too quick yet.

Party mode is by far the most annoying mode against the ai to get 3*. Beating the ai is easy, but if the ai gets a few of the really devistating abilities early on it can completely destroy any ability to combo a high enough score before time runs out.

Party mode is awful. I wish it wasn't score based and that the items blocks didn't act as a hindrance. For a mode called party I don't think it's ever being broke out for a party.

Party mode would be fun with friends in person but whenever the mode shows up in adventure I groan. In adventure mode nothing says good challenge like a last second score drain to bump you below the 3 star threshold >:[

Is there a way to randomize the "SEEEGAAA" voice at the start? The demo had a bunch of different ones, but it's just the same one voice in the regular game.

Is there a way to randomize the "SEEEGAAA" voice at the start? The demo had a bunch of different ones, but it's just the same one voice in the regular game.

There are different voices through which it cycles, but it will always start with the same voice (just like the demo). In the retail version, you'll have to wait at the menu screen until it enters demo mode and shows a match, after it which it will return to the SEGA screen with a different voice.

It's just that with the demo version it's more likely you'll hear the different voices since it kicks you back to the SEGA screen after every match you've played.

Top Bottom