• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, really. I'm on my 8th re-roll right now. I just want to play the game, but starting with a piece of shit monster isn't really the route I want to go.

Just out of curiosity what is the huge downside to this? I've been having fun with my 3* but also not taking it all that seriously. Is everybody who doesn't get a 4-5* going to reach a wall of some sort or is just that you'll have to 'level' up more?

xCobalt

Yeah, really. I'm on my 8th re-roll right now. I just want to play the game, but starting with a piece of shit monster isn't really the route I want to go.

I keep trying to reiterate this point but people are so determined to get God type monsters. Every monster you get is viable. Yes, some are better than others but they all have their own uses. Some of the low starred monsters are capable of evolving into something really good. Often times even better than god type monsters.

For what it's worth, I didn't start with a god and I'm pretty deep into the game. Over time, i got 2 god types but I don't use nearly as much as my main roster which were all drops from dungeons.

Maybe the first post can be edited with a list of acceptable monsters?

SLV

Can Android users test out APK downloader (http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/) to see if it lets you bypass the region/hardware restriction? I'll add it to the OP if it ends up working out for you.

Ok, i am downloading the apk from the play store with this now, will report back if it actually works on the phone !

So i wrote my name in and can choose one of three " things", i guess it works ! Damn what to choose, fire water or grass ?

Jinko

TBH I wouldn't worry too much, it will take you a good while to figure out all the fusion stuff so you'll prob end up re rolling again later., like xCobalt says there are plenty of alternatives to gods later on if you fuse correctly.

Can Android users test out APK downloader (http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/) to see if it lets you bypass the region/hardware restriction? I'll add it to the OP if it ends up working out for you.

I downloaded the APK off the net, because according to google this game isn't compatible with my phone .. yet here I am playing it. /sigh (I'm from the UK FWIW)

Boken

Banned
Toytops is good early on. When I was starting out, I remember using the fighters I think you get one during the tutorials. Also used an ogre.

Leader abilities are passives. Activte abilities require a certain amount of turns until it activates. A turn only counts if you made a successful match.
I understand that, its just that when i select a dungeon, then it lets me select a helper, then I see my team of 6 in order to confirm, and under the helper it says in red "Wont activate Leader Skill"

harrytang

TBH I wouldn't worry too much, it will take you a good while to figure out all the fusion stuff so you'll prob end up re rolling again later.

not in my experience. my buddy went the 5* route, while i thought it would be ok to use a 4*. 17 consecutive days and I am just now to the point where i can evo my 4* into a 5*. the worst part is waiting for the special dungeons daily. need the masks, but if i dont get a blue one today on expert, ill most likely have to wait until next week to try again. if I had the 5* could be focusing on another dragon while building my team.

if you wont be playing to beat the game you can have fun playing through so many dungeons, but I've been stuck at a serious wall for a few days now and it's frustrating.

im having to rely on friends with 5* healers to even think of getting to this point. if i didnt have an odin on my friends list i would be unable to beat expert masks today.

point is, it's worth the grief in my opinion. playing on iphone right now. started on ipad and got 5* first try. of course!!

I understand that, its just that when i select a dungeon, then it lets me select a helper, then I see my team of 6 in order to confirm, and under the helper it says in red "Wont activate Leader Skill"

cant activate leader skill on explorers. must be friends.

Kosh

Looks like I hit the jackpot after about 15 re-rolls on my phone.

jCFxk.png

Now, the starter guide says this:

Water (Orochi and Yamata no Orochi) is regarded hands down as one of the best gods in the game. It's leader ability, super sturdy, is an upgraded form of sturdy that activates at 50% instead of 70%. Also, it's active skill delays enemies attack for 5 turns. This is the only monster with the 50% sturdy. Because of its leader ability, it's best not to level it at all and keep it at the lowest level. And because of that, if you ever get one, you should just keep it as your sub account. Forms the core for sturdy teams. Try not to start with it unless you are only playing a single account or is planning to use cash.

Not sure what it's talking about with sub account, does that mean never make it the leader? But, that means the leader ability never kicks in and I thought that's why it's so good, right? Also, what's the warning at the end about only start with it if you're playing a single account.

I do have a list of useful non-gods in the OP but maybe I should expand that list a little?

I still believe you should try rerolling until you hit something in that list. My friend started with Freyr and hasn't been able to pass Castle of Satan because he can't survive the final boss. Is the flaw with his unremarkable team, or with his God leader who doesn't provide his team with any substantial advantages? I'd say it's a bit of both, but where are you supposed to go from there?

ParityBit

Toytops is good early on. When I was starting out, I remember using the fighters I think you get one during the tutorials. Also used an ogre.

OK, so lets say I use the toytops, and Ogre, my main (the Ancient Dragon guy), and some other random I guess. How do I improve? Assuming with minimal rare egg pulls? [I need to add some boxes, I only have 25]

SLV

I got a carbuncle, says level 1 and no stars, that is considered shit right ? How can i tell if it is the desired 5 or whatever ?
Does it matter which one of the 3 i choose at the beginning ?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Just out of curiosity what is the huge downside to this? I've been having fun with my 3* but also not taking it all that seriously. Is everybody who doesn't get a 4-5* going to reach a wall of some sort or is just that you'll have to 'level' up more?

It has to be pointed out that you don't ever lose the chance at getting those 4-5* monsters. As long as you get 5 of those Magic Stones, you get a shot at that Rare Egg machine.

The purpose of the reroll at the beginning is that its probably the fastest way to rack up 5 Magic Stones in a short amount of time. If you get a bad roll on the Rare Egg machine, its just faster to reset your game, and go through the stupid tutorial again. The only faster way is to actually buy the stones yourself.

The other reason to try and reroll for a good monster is that it just makes the game easier. That's it. You're not going to be locked out from getting a good monster later.

garath

I got a carbuncle, says level 1 and no stars, that is considered shit right ? How can i tell if it is the desired 5 or whatever ?
Does it matter which one of the 3 i choose at the beginning ?

I'm guessing you haven't gone far enough into the tutorial. Did you use 5 magic stones to pull the slot machine dragon? You'll get the same 3? monsters every time during the tutorial. The random is the slot machine at the end using 5 magic stones.

You'll see the stars next to the name at the top of the stats page. It took me awhile to find that too lol.

SLV

I'm guessing you haven't gone far enough into the tutorial. Did you use 5 magic stones to pull the slot machine dragon? You'll get the same 3? monsters every time during the tutorial. The random is the slot machine at the end using 5 magic stones.

You'll see the stars next to the name at the top of the stats page. It took me awhile to find that too lol.

Ah i see, so i am not done yet :D Thx for that lol !

Rapstah

I successfully side-loaded this app on Android using APK Downloader, so that totally works for EU people. I'll get back to you on being able to make an account.

SLV

And about the three that i ment, where you can choose between fire water and grass, the leader monster then vanishes after the tutorial, the one you have to choose right after writing your name in ?

mitheor

Ok, i am downloading the apk from the play store with this now, will report back if it actually works on the phone !

So i wrote my name in and can choose one of three " things", i guess it works ! Damn what to choose, fire water or grass ?

Working perfectly with Note2 from Europe. Thanks!

xCobalt

I do have a list of useful non-gods in the OP but maybe I should expand that list a little?

I still believe you should try rerolling until you hit something in that list. My friend started with Freyr and hasn't been able to pass Castle of Satan because he can't survive the final boss. Is the flaw with his unremarkable team, or with his God leader who doesn't provide his team with any substantial advantages? I'd say it's a bit of both, but where are you supposed to go from there?

It took me awhile to realize it myself but just because you have a really strong monster, it doesn't mean it has to be the leader. If Freyr isn't helping the team as a leader, just make it part of the regular roster. The Sky Dragon of Light is active right now and he could make an attempt at trying to get the Lil White Dragon. He could also try farming for one of fairy healers in the lower level dungeons.

OK, so lets say I use the toytops, and Ogre, my main (the Ancient Dragon guy), and some other random I guess. How do I improve? Assuming with minimal rare egg pulls? [I need to add some boxes, I only have 25]

Keep leveling up your team, try to farm certain dungeons for rare drops that could improve your team, if you have problems with survivability maybe add a Carbuncle.

Also, try and learn the schedule for the metal dragon spawn. I think today is the Ruby Dragon so it mostly benefits fire monsters. Check every hour at the Special Dungeon and they'll respawn again 5 hours from then. It does cost 20 stamina but the rewards can be very good. Their HP varies from about 5-25 but you'll be only doing 1 damage to them and they're pretty weak. The dragon themselves will grant thousands of exp.

seady

After playing the Japanese version for a long while, I decided to DL the US version as well after seeing you guys starting to play this…

Damn this addiction D-:

It has to be pointed out that you don't ever lose the chance at getting those 4-5* monsters. As long as you get 5 of those Magic Stones, you get a shot at that Rare Egg machine.

The purpose of the reroll at the beginning is that its probably the fastest way to rack up 5 Magic Stones in a short amount of time. If you get a bad roll on the Rare Egg machine, its just faster to reset your game, and go through the stupid tutorial again. The only faster way is to actually buy the stones yourself.

The other reason to try and reroll for a good monster is that it just makes the game easier. That's it. You're not going to be locked out from getting a good monster later.

Cool, thanks for the info. I think I'll just play it from here. Not too worried (yet) about longevity.

ParityBit

Keep leveling up your team, try to farm certain dungeons for rare drops that could improve your team, if you have problems with survivability maybe add a Carbuncle.

Also, try and learn the schedule for the metal dragon spawn. I think today is the Ruby Dragon so it mostly benefits fire monsters. Check every hour at the Special Dungeon and they'll respawn again 5 hours from then. It does cost 20 stamina but the rewards can be very good. Their HP varies from about 5-25 I but you'll be only doing 1 damage to them and they're pretty weak. The dragon themselves will grant thousands of exp.

Couple questions. Any suggestions for which dungeons to farm to make a team?

Which dungeons have the dragon spawns? I have a gold and a normal metal. But they are max level. Do you sell those? Are these the dragons you are talking about?

Seeing these level 6* creatures are making me want to start over. Plus the crappy ass pulls I got on the rare machine with my eggs. But I really like the dragon knight and my friends list!

Li Kao

I have been playing the game for some days and yeah, same boat as many here, I'm clearly not certain of the validity of my choices and what I'm doing in general.

I don't have a specific goal for the team roster and I'm multi-elements for the time being.
Fighting as much the box capacity and the coins than the dungeons themselves ^_^

About the god obsession, I wouldn't pretend to understand the game as I have already said, but keep in mind that some of them (all ?) have extremely high team cost ! Yesterday I got two gods from the gatcha... 20 team cost each. I could add one but the other risk being a really nice flower pot in my box for an eternity.

I rolled 5* Shaitan as my starter rare.

My team is now comprised of...
5* Freyr (Red) [God]
2* Sapphire Carbuncle +1 (Blue) - Healer, hope to evolve it soon, some hits hurt
2* Hobgoblin +2 (Green) - didn't have any love for his first Goblin form, but his orb scramble power is often a godsend when you have no good combination and a boss is eating at your legs
3* Machine Golem +1 (Yellow) - soon to evolve
2* Black Fighter (Purple) - Fucker is level max but I didn't find any purple mask...

In the box
5* Loki (Purple) [God]
2* Harpie Devil (Yellow)
2* Lil' White Dragon (Yellow)
4* Shaitan (Red)
3* Tyran (Red)

Can't say I didn't hit a wall some days ago, but with a little grinding and some lucky choice of friends I'm now rank 25 and working my way through erhhh... Pluto Valley.
Next goal is a fucking purple mask ! Loki is insanely pricey in team cost and I didn't level max the black fighter for nothing, damnit !

Someone mentionned the lil white dragon, is it a good character ?

PS. Kouriozan if you're still looking, we can trade presents.

xCobalt

Couple questions. Any suggestions for which dungeons to farm to make a team?

Which dungeons have the dragon spawns? I have a gold and a normal metal. But they are max level. Do you sell those? Are these the dragons you are talking about?

Seeing these level 6* creatures are making me want to start over. Plus the crappy ass pulls I got on the rare machine with my eggs. But I really like the dragon knight and my friends list!

Yup those are the metal dragons. The metal one grants 1000 exp I think, so 1500 to a dark monster. I believe the gold one is worth 2000 exp but I could be wrong on that. You can sell the gold one if you really need the money...sells for 5000 I think. There are stronger forms of these dragons in the special dungeons and they can give you 50000+ exp.

Since you have ADK, it'll probably help to farm a dungeon that'll give you a dragon. Here's a quick list of drops from dungeons. It's probably a little hard to interpret at first. The elemental dungeons preceding the giants tower have a chance of dropping dragons. Specifically the third and fifth levels. Personally, I only started farming when I hit a wall and couldn't advance without getting really lucky.

kagete

This game saved Christmas for me (freaking RO2 bummed me out) but I'll happily ignore all the hardcore endgame advice and just pick and play monsters I like based on how cool they look. It's a great phone diversion for sure and is serious GOTY material but I don't want to play while tethered to a guide or FAQ, especially since I like spending time playing on the crapper.

Tried this with my brothers on a GNEX, G2, Nexus4, ipad3, and nexus 7 and it runs hot and hard on all of them. On the nexus 7 the battery drain seems to exceed what the charger puts in but it could just be the questionable build quality or poor 4.2.1 build on the n7. If a sequel was released and sold for $15 on the appstores I would likely buy it day 1.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not full, wtf, is there a lag between friend supression and space available ? :-o

You have to leave the app once for it to fully register :p probably a couple people accepting your friend requests put you over the top.

ParityBit

Yup those are the metal dragons. The metal one grants 1000 exp I think, so 1500 to a dark monster. I believe the gold one is worth 2000 exp but I could be wrong on that. You can sell the gold one if you really need the money...sells for 5000 I think. There are stronger forms of these dragons in the special dungeons and they can give you 50000+ exp.

Since you have ADK, it'll probably help to farm a dungeon that'll give you a dragon. Here's a quick list of drops from dungeons. It's probably a little hard to interpret at first. The elemental dungeons preceding the giants tower have a chance of dropping dragons. Specifically the third and fifth levels. Personally, I only started farming when I hit a wall and couldn't advance without getting really lucky.

Thanks for that info. That helps. So I can start by farming the baby dragons and level them up? Assuming I can find some. :) Maybe I will try that tonight.

lenni

So, I've found a +1 RCV egg and want to put that on my Amaterasu. Is there a limit on how much +xx you can transfer through one feeding?
Let's say I'd feed several monsters with +xx on something, would everything transfer to the main monster, or just one of the stats?

So, I've found a +1 RCV egg and want to put that on my Amaterasu. Is there a limit on how much +xx you can transfer through one feeding?
Let's say I'd feed several monsters with +xx on something, would everything transfer to the main monster, or just one of the stats?
Everything should transfer over regardless of where and how the +stats are allocated.
Will do as soon as I finish my dungeon, sorry for spamming the thread with details.
Yeah the game is weird about that. If quitting to the title screen from the Options menu doesn't work try shutting down the app itself (taking care you aren't deleting the app of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom