• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare PS4/PS3 |OT| Over-Delivering On Value

plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfare-ps.jpg

This thread serves to welcome and prep the PS community in anticipation for the release next week (19 for US, 21 for majority of Europe, 22 for UK).

Pre-loading starts this weekend!

Official Community thread here, please refer to this for a more technical information.

What is PvZ Garden Warfare (GW)?

GW is a multiplayer only title featuring 24 player competitive modes, where you play as either the plants or zombies in class bases warfare. Garden Warfare also includes a 4 player online or 2 player split screen horde mode titled Garden Ops.

It is priced at $40/30 pounds/40 euros. All the DLC for this game is free and will be free.

What's new for the PS4?

PvZ is confirmed to be 1080p/60 FPS on the PS4.
Two expansions included in the package day one, the Garden Variety and Zomboss Town expansions (unknown if we get the recently announced 3rd DLC pack Suburbination at launch)
PS Vita remote play fully supported.
Boss mode supported by the PlayStation companion app.

Pre ordering the digital version from PSN gives the players a Fat Princess hat, as well as Sly Cooper customisation items and two sticker packs.

Media

Launch Trailer.

PS4 Overview video.

PS Reveal Video.

PS4 Twitch Designer Playthrough

Garden-Warfare-PS4-tease.jpg

What is Garden Ops?

Garden Ops is a horde type game mode with elements of base defence built into it, you must survive 10 waves until crazy Dave returns.

In between waves you could be fighting randomly chosen bosses or randomly chosen waves of specific and outlandish enemy types.

Please consult here for more specific info concerning the mode

BouJ1aTIYAAIcDH.jpg

What are the competitive MP modes/maps and is there a ranking system?

There are 4 competitive modes in GW, listed below:

Gardens and graveyards - This is a mix of CQ and Rush from BF, where the plant have to stop the zombies from capturing an area designated on the map. The map opens up the more zones the Zombies capture.

Gnome Bomb - Same as Obliteration from BF4, a neutral bomb spawn on the map, the first team to plant 3 bombs, or the most bomb plants within the time limit wins.

Team Vanquish - Team deathmatch, first to 50.

Team Vanquish confirmed - Same as kill confirmed from COD Team deathmatch, first to 50, but you must pick up the enemy orb for it to count as a score. You can deny the enemy the kill if you pick up your friends orb before they do.

There is a ranking system in the game, based on the completion of objectives (think challenges for each class), the ranking system goes up to 233.

Maps

There are 11 maps in all in the game. The following can be played in only garden ops, gnome bomb, team vanquish, and team vanquish confirmed.

Garden Centre
Suburban Flats
Sharkbite Shores
Zomboss Estate
Chomp Town
Port Scallywag
Jewel Junction

The following can be played in gardens and graveyards, these maps feature various night day version of each map:

Cactus Canyon: The Zombies have crash landed in the desert, near a top secret Plant research facility under the golf course. If the Plants don't stop them, they'll ruin everything!

Driftwood Shores: The Mega Flower is the guardian of the coast and the Zombies are trying to destroy it! Will the Plants be able to stop them?

Main Street: The Plants have deployed their secret weapon, the TACTICAL CUKE! Can the Zombies take it out before it launches and destroys Zomboss Mountain?

Wall-nut Hills: The Zombies just found out about Crazy Dave's sweet mansion and want to take it over. If the Plants can't stop them, Dave will be living on the streets!

Garden_Warfare_SlyCooper.jpg

Coins, sticker packs and micro transactions

In everything you do in GW, you get rewarded with coins to spend on sticker packs. Sticker pack vary according to what the rarity of the stickers inside are.

Stickers contain cosmetic item, bonus characters, abilities and boosts to your GW characters.

Micro transactions are in the game, but the Xbox community has been quite vocal as to the fairness of it. You can easily attain a good consistency of coins to spend in the sticker shop via normal play.

*Also blame Ody for the title, byeeeeeeeeee

Update 1: Legend of the Lawn content out, features 2 new game modes, 8 characters, 1 new map, trophies, and a host of customisation options and sticker packs.

Legends of the Lawn also added party matchmaking, this is how it works:

I was having the same problem yesterday. You need to create a party chat on the ps4 itself, and then you can select party matchmaking when choosing a game mode

Thanks to MD for posting the balance patch notes:

AUf0WUp.png

-MD-

Best multiplayer game in years. Been playing a ton on PC since launch, the new mode they gave us yesterday is awesome too.

chixdiggit

I have this on PC and absolutely love it. One of the best multiplayer games I have played in a long while on PC and Console. You guys are in for a real treat.

LNBL

Enjoy it Playstation users! Great multiplayer game, i'm still having a ton of fun with it on the XB1

Think I'm gunna pick this up. Pre-load just sweetens the deal, cus I'm staying with my parents atm and their internet is ~2mb/s. Enough to play on, but downloading takes a while.

Krakn3Dfx

Game is super fun, I'll probably just stick with it on the PC while there's a sizable player base, but great for PS3/4 owners who don't have another way to play, you're going to have a blast.

I'll probably up double dipping at some point.

MechDX

Simplistic fun. Great game

The two biggest issues I have with the One version:

1) Lots of kids playing. The issue I have with this is they ALL use Kinect for chatting and they sing, scream, holler and it is just annoying. I do mute but there is quite a few to mute every game. Should not be an issue on the PS4 though.

2) Everyone seems to use the assault zombie and peashooter. If you can get a game with a nice mix of the classes and they are used properly that is when the game really shines.

Grimløck;125188109 said:
why not? i have a full slate of games i need to go through atm. no need to purchase now only to not play it.
Could at least buy new, cheap. If you're not gunna buy it now, it'll only go down in price. I'd be surprised if you can't get it for new, less than $30, in 6 weeks.

vypek

Was super excited for it when I pre-ordered it and now I'm having cold feet and think I might not enjoy it. I'm guessing within the first day of play that I'll change my mind. I'm still looking forward to this. Seems really fun. I didn't know ALL the DLC is free. Thats crazy. Actually as I'm typing this, my hype for the game is rising again.

jmoe316

So there is local offline co-op in the PS4 version? Is it possible to play this game single player offline by myself?

Game is super fun, I'll probably just stick with it on the PC while there's a sizable player base, but great for PS3/4 owners who don't have another way to play, you're going to have a blast.

I'll probably up double dipping at some point.

So the PC community is decent? I remember there being some worry about this at launch.

Was super excited for it when I pre-ordered it and now I'm having cold feet and think I might not enjoy it. I'm guessing within the first day of play that I'll change my mind. I'm still looking forward to this. Seems really fun. I didn't know ALL the DLC is free. Thats crazy. Actually as I'm typing this, my hype for the game is rising again.
I feel the same way dude, cold feet started started as soon as release got closer.

vypek

So there is local offline co-op in the PS4 version? Is it possible to play this game single player offline by myself?

"What is PvZ Garden Warfare (GW)?

GW is a multiplayer only title featuring 24 player competitive modes, where you play as either the plants or zombies in class bases warfare. Garden Warfare also includes a 4 player online or 2 player split screen horde mode titled Garden Ops. "

vypek

I feel the same way dude, cold feet started started as soon as release got closer.

I'm not sure why I am though. I know the game is good. I have yet to hear a bad impression of it and it looks like something I can spend a lot of time playing so its got a lot of bang for the buck. Idk if its because I know exactly 6 days after I get the game I'll be back in classes again. ugh.

Do you know why you got cold feet?

I'm going to keep the pre-order cause I feel like Monday night I'm going to get hyped or hyped during gameplay. Just wish I knew why I was getting hesitant. lol

LtOrange

All the GAF praise this game was getting really made me want to try it out, but the incredible post launch support is what sold me. Now I just need to finish up The Last of Us before next week......seriously drowning in games.

All the GAF praise this game was getting really made me want to try it out, but the incredible post launch support is what sold me. Now I just need to finish up The Last of Us before next week......seriously drowning in games.

This is seriously one of those games where the first impression is "Why was this even made?" then when you play it the opinion changes to "This was a great idea".

I'm not sure why I am though. I know the game is good. I have yet to hear a bad impression of it and it looks like something I can spend a lot of time playing so its got a lot of bang for the buck. Idk if its because I know exactly 6 days after I get the game I'll be back in classes again. ugh.

Do you know why you got cold feet?

I'm going to keep the pre-order cause I feel like Monday night I'm going to get hyped or hyped during gameplay. Just wish I knew why I was getting hesitant. lol
I'm not sure either, something just seems off. I've got a friend who is beyond hyped for this and when I told him might not get it he seemed heartbroken.

But I'm gonna preorder soon. I just wish I could figure out why, maybe I burned myself out watching too much gameplay.

vypek

I'm not sure either, something just seems off. I've got a friend who is beyond hyped for this and when I told him might not get it he seemed heartbroken.

But I'm gonna preorder soon. I just wish I could figure out why, maybe I burned myself out watching too much gameplay.

Hm. Could be that. I think playing it will be different. I was thinking about watching a short gameplay video myself but maybe I should avoid it now that its so close.

I preordered this for PS4 last night. Split-screen co-op? Count me in. My wife loves to play co-op with me and there has been a severe lack of that in this new console generation.

Also, I really love PS4 pre-loading.

Top Bottom