• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break appears on Steam's Top Sellers list at #3

Apathy

Game that was released to limited crowd sees huge uptick when released to a large crowd. Shocking. This is what ms needs to understand, stop trying with the windows store. PC gamers want games on steam. Sorry you lost your chance to get in good and early and valve didn't. Consumers made their choice a long time ago.

Gravijah

False equivalence; Steam, Origin, The Artist Formerly Known As Battle.net are all on the same platform - the PC.

I mean, you probably could make the argument that the Win10 Appstore doesn't count, because it deliberately prevents things like Steam frindslists from working, but to suggest that "Steam or bust" stops people who want to buy a title from buying a title on a different store is demonstrably wrong for the most part, for other regular executables.
It's like saying nobody would buy Halo on Xbox if it didn't have achievements.

Then call it Content Delivery Platform, Storefront, whatever you want.

Game that was released to limited crowd sees huge uptick when released to a large crowd. Shocking. This is what ms needs to understand, stop trying with the windows store. PC gamers want games on steam. Sorry you lost your chance to get in good and early and valve didn't. Consumers made their choice a long time ago.

Steam needs competition, not competitors giving up.

LordRaptor

You seem to be implying that not releasing on Steam is an automatic death sentence because fanboys / monopoly when thats clearly and demonstrably not true.
It also downplays just how bad UWA is.

Blam

Honestly competing with Steam is not that hard. Their client sucks dick, and can be vastly improved upon.

Microsoft still hasn't rolled out their competitor to steam. People keep thinking the W10 Store is their answer to that. It isn't. They've already said it before.

Composer

The biggest annoyance surrounding this game isn't the game it self, but its people's awulf usage of the term 'optimization'. The game has had minor optimization issues but it isn't completely broken.

The game and engine is just seriously pushing more effects than 99.99% of games have tried to do before, and if you've got a decent system, it looks spectacular. Simply put, modern graphics card can't run it at higher settings just simply because of what the engine is doing. And that is not an optimization issue. Its just doing a lot more than we are capable. In a way its future proofed, but more importantly, it is just flat out impressive what the game/engine does. The visual effects and output are fantastic. So please stop perpetuating this, 'unoptimized game' myth. It's exactly the opposite. It is the closest thing we have to Crysis this gen.

Honestly competing with Steam is not that hard. Their client sucks dick, and can be vastly improved upon.

Microsoft still hasn't rolled out their competitor to steam. People keep thinking the W10 Store is their answer to that. It isn't. They've already said it before.

Problem is, no other competitor has a better client.

pizzacat

Banned
I'm just looking at how gears 4 can be huge if it's not for this Windows exclusivity

You're already putting it on PC like cmon :(

Blam

Yet... From what I've heard about Microsoft's Steam Competitor it'll definitely be much better than the store is right now.

Holding games hostage to force people to use your crappy store no one wants to use voluntarily isn't competition.

Just because a game is on a different platform doesn't mean you are holding it hostage. You can say the exact same thing about Origin, Uplay, etc. It's just preference. I've never had problems with the Windows Store. So I might be a bit biased, but people need to get off of this circlejerk.

Nzyme32

Honestly competing with steam is not that hard. Their client sucks dick.

Indeed. The point here is that next to no one is against competition, as is seemingly slapped around in these debates. The PC platform itself, all its games, services and vendors, revolve around competition with each other driving further iteration, innovation and benefits for customers. MS have been terrible at this for over a decade and continue to be so. Their focus is consistently on their own service alone and what applies to Xbox with poor care towards the different nature of PC gaming. No one has an issue with competition - just make it good competition that still maintains and builds upon the features, usability, compatibility, services and interoperability that are expected with games and the platforms that have been a mainstay for decades. People are right to complain.

Holding games hostage to force people to use your crappy store no one wants to use voluntarily isn't competition.

Just because a game is on a different platform doesn't mean you are holding it hostage. You can say the exact same thing about Origin, Uplay, etc. It's just preference. I've never had problems with the Windows Store. So I might be a bit biased, but people need to get off of this circlejerk.

There is nothing wrong with doing that for their own products. If the service is shit though, overly restrictive, with poor policies or actively preventing interoperability with many peripherals, applications, user customisation etc etc - it is there loss when customers rightly say "fuck that" and forgo MS offering rather than conform to such failings

jacobeid

Banned
Yet... From what I've heard about Microsoft's Steam Competitor it'll definitely be much better than the store is right now.

At least Origin and UPlay don't require one specific operating system. There are valid criticisms of the Windows store compared to those two. I couldn't even download FH3 without getting the anniversary update, which I now despise because I have to use Cortana to search my computer which requires two steps instead of just hitting the 'start' button and typing.

All to play a game that isn't optimized and all and runs like complete shit. UWP in a nutshell.

Competition is good. UWP and the Windows store are not good.

Kaydan

Banned

Someone wasn't around when steam launched...

This is the first big retail game to launch on the windows store. Gotta give the platform some time to mature.

LordRaptor

What Microsoft need to realise is that they don't have to - and shouldn't - compete with Steam.
They already own the Shopping Mall. They don't need to build their own shop in it too.
What they should be doing is making that shopping mall super attractive to both customers and shopkeepers, because that shopping mall being popular directly benefits them.

It really is a tragedy that gaming is in the hands of the Xbox division, who think small and have a shitty console wars mentality.

Mifec

At least Origin and UPlay don't require one specific operating system. There are valid criticisms of the Windows store compared to those two. I couldn't even download FH3 without getting the anniversary update, which I now despise because I have to use Cortana to search my computer which requires two steps instead of just hitting the 'start' button and typing.

All to play a game that isn't optimized and all and runs like complete shit. UWP in a nutshell.

Competition is good. UWP and the Windows store are not good.

I don't. She didn't even come back with the update after I disabled her during the original install.

Ascheroth

This is the first big retail game to launch on the windows store. Gotta give the platform some time to mature.

I hate this argument. If you want to compete with Steam, you have to compete with Steam as it is now, not as it was 10 years ago.
Besides this isn't even Microsofts first try, they had GFWL.

Nzyme32

Steam launching in 2003, with Valve as a far far smaller company without the infrastructure or any industry foresight into what digital distribution of games properly looked like, is a terrible comparison for services starting off now, who certainly should not have such issues over a decade later when the world has move far far beyond - particularly MS, failing at every attempt on PC and continually prioritising their own Xbox interest over that of the actual user and what PC gamers do and expect. MS has no reasonable excuse, and at this point does not deserve any benefit of the doubt

Unai

Honestly, Microsoft had a decade to do things better on PC, but only made it worse. Microsoft doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to PC gaming. Maybe one day the Windows Store / UWP will be at least as good as Origin, but until then I want nothing to do with it.

Deadbeat

Banned
Id say Origin is cleaner and quicker for games. But the point is we need to look at the win10 store from a year ago and look at it now. How the hell is it supposed to catch up to anything when its still a pile of shit and has progressed so little? Win10store needs to be at minimum Uplay level by now. By next year it will still be inferior to Uplay. Its dumbfounding to think that MS gives a fuck about their PC initiative because they sure havent shown it.

If you want to compete you must first attempt to compete. MS has signed up for the race, but has shown up in jeans and a dress shirt when everyone else is in track suits.

Zedox

What are you talking about? Windows Store is this "Steam competitor".

Actually Windows Store + Xbox App = Steam competitor. Windows Store itself won't change to be like Steam, you just get your apps from there. It's literally just a storefront. The Xbox App has all of the social features that Steam also has. It is smart for MS to have them separate as their store is not only meant for games.

I don't know where that user found information on "Microsoft's Steam competitor", MS doesn't have a 1:1 with it. It just has a Storefront, to me Steam is much more than a storefront. The Xbox App is more Steam like than the Windows Store. Yes, Microsoft still needs to fix things with the Store on PC (preloading, downloads being saved in progress, download speed are the biggest ones I see).

Anyways, I'm just happy more people are buying Quantum Break, it's still my favorite game this year (until Gears 4, and Titanfall 2, gotta see about those first). I want a damn sequel. I need to see the end of time and I need to find out about Jack/Beth (granted I have the most logical explanation of a "how"). It's also not surprising that it's selling better at Steam than Windows Store. #shrug

LordRaptor

I don't know where that user found information on "Microsoft's Steam competitor"

He probably listened to some of the things Phil Spencer was saying about how super important PC gaming is, then took a look at the Storefront they actually have and thought to himself "well they're obviously not talking about that..."

Id say Origin is cleaner and quicker for games.

Have you, uh, actually used Origin recently? As in, since their big overhaul?

MUnited83

For you.
What are you talking about? Windows Store is this "Steam competitor".

I'm not quite sure that a store that as such a small library, a library that for the most part isn't available elsewhere is considered a "competitor". They're not doing any actual competition whatsoever.

Win10 store isn't competition, and it isn't ever going to be competition.

jrcbandit

Really? That's crazy...

Quantum Break doesn't support SLI so of course it can't do that, especially with taxing true Global Illumination... But the lack of SLI support isn't surprising, that seems to be the norm nowadays than a rarity. Or even if there is SLI support, they tend to have poor scaling, although 4k scaling tends to be a bit better using high bandwidth bridges.

dr_rus

Anyways, I'm just happy more people are buying Quantum Break, it's still my favorite game this year (until Gears 4, and Titanfall 2, gotta see about those first). I want a damn sequel. I need to see the end of time and I need to find out about Jack/Beth (granted I have the most logical explanation of a "how"). It's also not surprising that it's selling better at Steam than Windows Store. #shrug

I'd say with Remedy moving away from big AAA games chances for sequels to either AW or QB are very slim. QB is also a MS IP which means that for a sequel to happen they need to want to finance it and with how QB did in sales I don't see this happening, Steam is unlikely to change that.

So they ruined it? If so, you_had_one_job.jpg

Yeah, new Origin client is kinda bad but you don't have to open it as it's basically a copy of what they have on the Web now: https://www.origin.com/

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I totally understand MS not wanting to give 30% or whatever it is on their first party software. Makes perfect sense. It's just that they have the infrastructure and resources to be able to do it right, and they've done it completely wrong. Even the first releases of the reviled UPlay and Origin, made by 2 companies that don't have the resources of MS, were much smoother to get going.

Sure, let's give Microsoft another 10 years so that they can get it right by 2026 what Steam was doing 10 years earlier. That's a bullshit excuse.

Flux

I can't fault them for pushing the Win10 platform initially. Other services took awhile to catch on, but the market is much better for the consumer with healthy amounts of competition.

Glad, the game is finding success, it didn't light the sales charts on fire on W10 or Xbox as far as I know.

Arulan

Steam has competitors, such as GOG. The difference is that GOG actually offers real value to consumers. It isn't doesn't solely exist to create arbitrary exclusives to force people to use it if they wish to play certain games. GOG offers a lot of pro-consumer policies including guaranteed DRM-free content, putting effort into making sure their content works on modern OS with a money-back guarantee, seeking out games whose publishing rights are in legal limbo in order to finally make them available digitally and legally to purchase, and at times rewarding owners of past physical copies or even Steam copies with their own version of the game. I wish I could say the same for these other clients and/or storefronts.

jacobeid

Banned
Probably through Group Policy and registry if I had to guess.

Better than nothing but that's kind of a pain in the ass. Thanks, I'll go to google from here.

The fact that I had to update for a game that doesn't even work well is still completely bonkers and a valid reason to criticize Microsoft's handling of the platform, especially in my post when I replied to the person comparing it to Uplay and Origin.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Akronis

Only number 3 on launch day with a reduced price?

Game didn't review super well and has notable performance issues. I'm actually surprised it's that high.

Better than nothing but that's kind of a pain in the ass. Thanks, I'll go to google from here.

The fact that I had to update for a game that doesn't even work well is still completely bonkers and a valid reason to criticize Microsoft's handling of the platform, especially in my post when I replied to the person comparing it to Uplay and Origin.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Completely agree

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm about two hours in and having a genuine great time with it. Didn't expect that.. It looks great and it's silky smooth and solid 60 at Ultra. Didn't expect that either.. Nice surprise.

Akronis

When I was installing windows I turned her off, so I never had her on, didn't come back when I updated to anniversary.

didn't change any registry settings.

Registry settings are only necessary on non-Pro Windows 10 as you do not have access to the Group Policy editor. They accomplish the same thing.

Does the Steam version include the bonus documentaries from the physical edition? Getting frustrated that Amazon still has not shipped this damned thing.

tioslash

Does the Steam version include the bonus documentaries from the physical edition? Getting frustrated that Amazon still has not shipped this damned thing.

It does not include it.

And regarding Amazon, have you seen the current status on the product page? "Usually ships within 1 to 4 weeks." So yeah, it will be a while.

That would make sense if their goal was solely to sell more games. It's not, so you there's nothing they need to understand in this save from matching steam features with their store.

Top Bottom