• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break gets Xbox One X patch for 4K

EvB

No you are right but I believe if you use a high resolution for this temporal reconstruction it will decrease the number of artifacts because you need to reconstruct less.

I suppose that depends on what your final resolution is.
If you are still trying to target a final resolution 3 or 4 times higher than you base, then you still have a lot data to fill in.

To reduce the type of artifacts that quantum break has you need to use less frames. So using a higher base resolution and finishing with the same 1080p end resolution would be one way.

I’d like to think that with 4.5x the grunt, then could get to get to at least 1800c resolution, that’s less demanding than native 1440p but would potentially net a better result, especially given the CG look they were going for.

Alebelly

I've played through all Alan Wakes and played through Quantum Break multiple times - QB is by far better then Alan Wake. Gameplay, story, dialog. Much more interesting.

Not a fan of the integrated TV show aspect. That is where the game hurts the most.

Again thanks, I bought QB, appreciate the info!

EraErr0r1

Fantastic news which will finally give me the push for a second play through. (with different in-game decisions of course)

The game is chock full of glorious detail which will finally get to shine at a higher resolution... even if it is somewhat dynamic.

ethomaz

Banned
They could have a native 1080p option in Scorpio for 1080p TVs instead any type of 4k reconstruction downsampled to 1080p.

Cant wait to see these in 4k. Will look stunning

giphy.gif

xTiQyeuAdvg5bLQ2fC.gif

KCMcd1G.gif

Qa86eMI.gif

buxyq58.gif

giphy.gif

DyquJid.gif

oLvl8dT.gif

Rirf59I.gif

quantum_break_stutter_effects_by_digi_matrix-d9yh9pg.gif

sTiTcH AU

I will replay the shit out of this game in 4k. Super excited about this.

If anybody who has not played this game yet and wants to give it a go when the X is out, please play the game on hard difficulty. Its not hard at and forces you to use all your powers effectively, each battle is sooo satisfying when you use all your powers. It honestly should have been the normal diffuculty (other than the final boss, that was BS on hard).

It would be great if is Native 4K

Yeah, but it won't be. A GTX 1080 (~9tflops theoretically, but Nvidia chips produce better performance per tflop than AMD chips) can do about 20 frames per second in Quantum Break at native 4k. Now granted that's with higher graphical settings, but even so, 4k native @6tflops isn't going to happen when the base game is 720p @ 1.3 tflops.

Hell yeah! Can't wait to see how that looks when downsampled on my 1080p set! It looks like I'll finally go back and get the full gamerscore for QB.

Alx

It would have been a good opportunity to release a "definitive edition" like Recore, maybe with a new game mode dedicated to fighting waves of enemies. I liked QB a lot and especially its plot and narration, but there's no major reason to go back to it once you've seen all the story branches.

flkraven

Man, I really wish they did a DLC with all these 4K patches. I 100%'d this game, so being able to revist it and get like a 2-3 hour DLC for like $15-$20 would be nice.

I appreciate all the help, I know it's not about me but c'mon. Real question by a real person, thank you

Thanks, I appreciate the insight

It's my favorite game by Remedy. It has it's differences from Max Payne, in that this has a far more commercial blockbuster feel to it, but in no other Remedy title is the combat gameplay superior.

Their strong storytelling absolutely is still present. In fact, I would rank it among their best, especially as it relates to a certain character's
diary

The character development is a career best for them because usually I feel like most of the interesting development is mostly happening for the main character with nothing too deeply interesting or as engaging happening with other characters. I feel that even where people might feel that last statement I made isn't true, Quantum Break was the best in that regard.

And, again, people may complain about the cool looking exploration and investigation/platforming/puzzle solving sections, but I found it felt quite good and added tremendously to the story and atmosphere. And the action has never been better in a remedy title. This is easily one of the best games Remedy has ever made. I personally feel it's their best, and the potential for and even better sequel is simply through the damn roof.

Also, the TV show was actually damn good. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. You really end up wanting it to develop into a much bigger budget, long term production. At least in my case I did.

dr_rus

QB is a bit of a mess IQ wise. If they could hit 1440p natively with 4x MSAA that would probably look as good/better if they just left it at that res and upscaled to 4k. Or did 2xMSAA at 1800p or something. In terms of what would be easiest for implementation they'll probably go with the path of least resistance which would be as you suggest, just 1440p instead of 720p while leaving everything else the same.

4x MSAA is baked into Northlight rendering pipeline AFAIR, meaning that they can't just switch to 2x at will as their unique method of doing decoupled shading and then reconstructing the geometry from MSAAed buffers depends on these buffers being 4x the resolution.

I do wonder if they'll switch to something more widespread as Ubi's / Pro's MSAA 2x based checkerboarding in the future. Their approach allow them to shade at 1/4th of the resolution which means that they can run much more complex pixel shaders than possible in 2x checkerboarding. The downside though is general lack of pixel sized details and rather noticeable motion artifacts from combining four frames into one frame buffer.

Zedox

It would have been a good opportunity to release a "definitive edition" like Recore, maybe with a new game mode dedicated to fighting waves of enemies. I liked QB a lot and especially its plot and narration, but there's no major reason to go back to it once you've seen all the story branches.

Yes. I think all QB fans want this feature. :(

4x MSAA is baked into Northlight rendering pipeline AFAIR, meaning that they can't just switch to 2x at will as their unique method of doing decoupled shading and then reconstructing the geometry from MSAAed buffers depends on these buffers being 4x the resolution.

I do wonder if they'll switch to something more widespread as Ubi's / Pro's MSAA 2x based checkerboarding in the future. Their approach allow them to shade at 1/4th of the resolution which means that they can run much more complex pixel shaders than possible in 2x checkerboarding. The downside though is general lack of pixel sized details and rather noticeable motion artifacts from combining four frames into one frame buffer.

The technique might hold up better at high resolutions, but I'm not sure. I suppose I could download all 65 terabytes of the W10 version I own and give it a whirl at 4k reconstructed to see how it looks, if I can be bothered.

nOoblet16

Insomniac's "temporal injection" tech (Ratcher & Clank/Spider-Man) is probably the closest comparison, as they both seem to be based on reconstructing a higher-resolution frame from several regular frames at a lower resolution, rather than being a sparse rendering technique like checkerboarding.
This seems to be a plausible theory, but we have so little information on temporal reprojection that's e can only make guesses here. I read once in Beyond3D during a discussion over this theory that while R&C reconstructs high resolution from several low resolution frames it also adds a micro camera jitter to achieve the final high resolution frame and that this is where Quantum Break might have gone wrong by not using a micro camera jitter causing an image that's only marginally better than 720P.

CBR doesn't need any such micro jitters obviously.

On PC, from what resolution does it reconstruct to 4k?

I believe the scaler does a 2/3 in both directions, which would make it 2560 x 1440 exactly. This makes perfect sense considering the 1440p is double 720p, and 4k is double 1080p. Double the final resolution (1080p -> 4k), double the internal resolution prior to reconstruction (720p -> 1440p).

Note that even if they disabled reconstruction, running the game at 1440p with the 4xmsaa and then simply not bothering to reconstruct would probably give a very clean, if soft image on a 4k tv. Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy on PS4 pro is 1440p, for example.

SenjutsuSage is off his rocker. QB isn't very good.

I thought it was very good gameplay wise, and the story was decent. The movie sequences are a bit unfortunate since they kill the pacing of the gameplay, and overall the game is too short. IMO it needed a score attack mode to beef out the package.

Newlove

Quantum Break looked stunning. I went back to play it recently and the environment detail is still mindblowing to me. So much attention there. I didn't progress far at all though so I'm looking forward to diving in properly again later in the year. I wonder if its just a resolution upgrade.

El_Chino

Just by estimating based on the One X being 4.6x stronger than the base model, I'm going to guess 1440p for QB then some sort of reconstruction technique to reach 4K

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Loved the story, settings, characters, and combat. Felt there was major issues with pacing (even skipping the show). Still, definitely down to replay!

anothertech

It's cheap right? Just play it and find out. I doubt you'll enjoy it as much as MP2 but is very very different from Alan Wake.
Ya, this. Also, the game was pretty awesome for most of us.

The Xbonx patch sounds interesting tho. Can't wait for the DF deep dive to see what they manage to achieve :)

Head.spawn

Horde/TimeAttack/Survival mode would've been so goddamn awesome.

What I remember from this game on Xbox One was it was very soft but the game/gun play was on par. 1440p cb and I'm back in. Now show me a sale!

Has any site got any footage of this running on the X?

Also, have MS released any videos in 4K for any of these patched games like they did with Forza? And if not, why the fuck not?

Head.spawn

Also, have MS released any videos in 4K for any of these patched games like they did with Forza? And if not, why the fuck not?

CD released some footage of an older build of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

There is some Recore footage as well.

ZOONAMI

Native 4k? I find that kind of hard to believe given how terribly the game runs on PC and even then it's still using dynamic resources shenanigans. Did they ever fix where the resolutions selected where actually half that?

On an xbone the game also looks awful on a native 4k set.

Dabanton

Probably waiting to do a glut of them. I really hope they've taken the lead of Tomb Raider and done short videos showing what improvements we can expect.

I want to see if CWII: The New Colossus will do one. That's not a game locked up in marketing is it?

Top Bottom