• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queens of the Stone Age - Villains |OT| One Last Feel-Good Hit of the Summer

Bronx-Man

Banned
Villains-COVER.jpg

AVAILABLE AUGUST 25TH
BUY IT NOW

queens-of-the-stone-age-the-way-you-used-to-d-L-uoxjO4.jpeg

TRACKLIST

1. Feet Don't Fail Me
2. The Way You Used to Do
3. Domesticated Animals
4. Fortress
5. Head Like a Haunted House
6. Un-Reborn Again
7. Hideaway
8. The Evil Has Landed
9. Villains of Circumstance

WORLD TOUR
Sep. 6
Capitol Theatre
Port Chester, NY

Sep. 7
Festival Pier
Philadelphia, PA

Sep. 9
Budweiser Stage
Toronto, ON

Sep. 10
20 Monroe Live
Grand Rapids, MI

Sep. 12
Express Live! Outdoor Pavilion
Columbus, OH

Sep. 13
Stage AE (Outdoors)
Pittsburgh, PA

Sep. 15
Agora Theatre
Cleveland, OH

Sep. 16
Riot Fest
Chicago, IL

Oct. 9
The Complex
Salt Lake City, UT

Oct. 10
Red Rocks
Morrison, CO

Oct. 12
Peabody
St. Louis, MO

Oct. 13
Crossroads KC
Kansas City, MO

Oct. 14
Roy Wilkins Auditorium
Saint Paul, MN

Oct. 15
Eagles Ballroom
Milwaukee, WI

Oct. 17
Fox Theatre
Detroit, MI

Oct. 18
Old National Center
Indianapolis, IN

Oct. 20
The Anthem
Washington, DC

Oct. 21
Agganis Arena
Boston, MA

Oct. 22
State Theatre
Portland, ME

Oct. 24
Madison Square Garden
New York, NY

Nov. 4
Unipol Arena
Bologna, Italy

Nov. 5
Stadthalle
Vienna, Austria

Nov. 6
Samsung Hall
Zurich, Switzerland

Nov. 7
Accorhotels Arena
Paris, France

Nov. 9
Konig-Pilsener Arena
Oberhausen, Germany

Nov. 10
Zenith
Munich, Germany

Nov. 11
Velodrom
Berlin, Germany

Nov. 12
Ziggo Dome
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Nov. 14
Tap1
Copenhagen, Denmark

Nov. 15
Sporthalle
Hamburg, Germany

Nov. 16
Sportspaleis
Antwerp, Belgium

Nov. 18
SSE Arena Wembley
London, UK

Nov. 19
Manchester Arena
Manchester, UK

Nov. 21
The O2 Arena
London, UK

Nov. 23
Usher Hall
Edinburgh, UK

Nov. 24
3Arena
Dublin, Ireland

REVIEWS

Vulture
Villains feels purposeful and sinister even in the T. Rex strut of “Un-Reborn Again” and the nearly seven-minute barrage of riffs assaulting “The Evil Has Landed.” It’s like a snarling, evil thing cut loose and raging. I couldn’t ask this band for more.

Pitchfork
Villains reaffirms what makes this band so special to begin with: their willingness to blow up the status quo as established by their riff-rock brethren, and even themselves.

hughesta

Banned
haven't heard the leak and only peeped the singles once.

not really a massive QOTSA fan but I loved Like Clockwork and can't wait to dive into this tomorrow night.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Might be produced by Ronson but this is 100% Queens. A great mix of Vulgaris, lullabies and Songs. Just a great record and the deluxe vinyl set is a beaut.

Shit got me heated I still gotta wait almost 24 hours to hear this. Can't believe it's been more than 4 years since LC, it simultaneously seems like it hasn't been that long but also feeling like a new Queens records is long overdue. Haven't heard any singles or the leak, Josh is one of the maybe 5 or so artists who will always get blind buys from me. I'm ready to lift a car tonite.

Van Bur3n

Have only listened to the singles and they're awesome. Excited to listen to the full thing. QOTSA is one of the few bands where I can't think of a single song I don't like from them.

Ninhead

This album is the definition of a grower. Only comparison I can make is to Bowie's "Diamond Dogs". Can't wait to hear everyone's impressions.

Oddly inconsistent album considering it only has nine tracks and TWYUTD is officially the worst QOTSA single ever (and possibly their worst song overall). Sounds like it was made for a car commercial or something, it's horrible.

Villains and Evil are both classics though.

Despite my mixed feelings for the album I'm waiting for the deluxe vinyl to show up anyway.

Yesss. Great album art by the way. Excited to see what the tiniest bit of Mark Ronson influence brings to the album.

Shit sounding drums.

YaBish

This album is the definition of a grower. Only comparison I can make is to Bowie's "Diamond Dogs". Can't wait to hear everyone's impressions.
That's the best comparison I never would have thought of.

Album is good, but I'm looking forward to the official release for the full sound quality.

Nothus

None of the songs I've heard prior to release did anything for me so chances are I won't like the album, but I'm still going to buy it. My avatar demands it.

sasliquid

haven't heard the leak and only peeped the singles once.

not really a massive QOTSA fan but I loved Like Clockwork and can't wait to dive into this tomorrow night.

I'm the same, never gave my mind to them but ...Like Clockwork may be one of my favourite rock albums do the decade so far. Didn't care for the first single of Villains tho, hope the other tracks are a bit heavier or more adventurous

Oddly inconsistent album considering it only has nine tracks and TWYUTD is officially the worst QOTSA single ever (and possibly their worst song overall). Sounds like it was made for a car commercial or something, it's horrible.

Villains and Evil are both classics though.

Despite my mixed feelings for the album I'm waiting for the deluxe vinyl to show up anyway.

Shit sounding drums.

Sick sick sick is probably their worst single

No way!

Love that song

Anyway, I'm an odd Queens fan as I find Like Clockwork to actually be their worst album. Total waste of Jon Theodore and just felt like the band mostly spinning their wheels

Judging by others tho, this is seemingly a highly controversial opinion, lol

Ernest

Banned
Indie retailer exclusive cover:
744861112587-1.jpg

And the deluxe vinyl, if you care about this sort of thing, is pressed at Pallas in Germany, one of the better vinyl mastering/pressing facilities in the world.

It also comes with these lyric/art cards:
817wnBEVOmL._SX522_.jpg

No way!

Love that song

Anyway, I'm an odd Queens fan as I find Like Clockwork to actually be their worst album. Total waste of Jon Theodore and just felt like the band mostly spinning their wheels

Judging by others tho, this is seemingly a highly controversial opinion, lol

The song is ok, I don't hate it, but it's the worst of their singles!

PS

I love the artwork of the last 2 albums

While I'm not a massive fan of Sick, Sick, Sick, it's much better than tampon-ad-soundtrack-in-waiting TWYUTD.

My personal Villains track rankings...

The Evil Has Landed - Villains of Circumstance - Feet Don't Fail Me - Domesticated Animals - Fortress - Head Like A Haunted House - Un-Reborn Again - Hideaway -

- The Way You Used To Do

For those who haven't heard it, Hideaway sounds like Josh has been listening to a fair bit of Sade recently. It's a grower though.

And the deluxe vinyl, if you care about this sort of thing, is pressed at Pallas in Germany, one of the better vinyl mastering/pressing facilities in the world.

This is great news, I'm fed up with crap-sounding brand new vinyl.

For anyone with Apple Music, Alligator Hour w/ Josh Homme returns on Beats1 in about 2 and a half hours.

'ello Bronxy.

Alligator Hour was the best bit of the Apple Music trial. WRTJ was great too.

Shame it screwed the living fuck out of my existing iTunes library and sent me scurrying to Spotify.

While I'm not a massive fan of Sick, Sick, Sick, it's much better than tampon-ad-soundtrack-in-waiting TWYUTD.

My personal Villains track rankings...

The Evil Has Landed - Villains of Circumstance - Feet Don't Fail Me - Domesticated Animals - Fortress - Head Like A Haunted House - Un-Reborn Again - Hideaway -

- The Way You Used To Do

For those who haven't heard it, Hideaway sounds like Josh has been listening to a fair bit of Sade recently. It's a grower though.

This is great news, I'm fed up with crap-sounding brand new vinyl.

I didn't like the way you used to at first but it ain't so bad now. Still my least favorite on the album tho

Ninhead

Just picked up a CD copy while waiting on my vinyl. Sounds much better than the leak. Still missing the crunch, but much improved.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
It's not the 25th.

Because I checked, I went to the store and was like wtf where is it.
The google all access store, but still. effort

Seijuro

Only got into QOTSA in the last few years. One of my most anticipated albums this year, looking forward to the album tomorrow. Also looking forward to seeing them live for the first time in November.

Maridia

Album is blowing me away. Gonna get lots of spins. I laughed delightedly when
the sax came in on Un-reborn Again.

Dead

well not really...yet
Deluxe LP supposed to arrive tomorrow...hope the hurricane shit doesn't fuck it up :/

As someone who isn't afraid to admit that some of their earlier albums were at times just too much for me, I think this could be my favorite. Man.

Going to have to listen to them all this week and see.

XAL

Life long Queens fan here, listening to the singles I was convinced that Josh had gone too far down the Eagles of Douche Metal rabbit hole. The stuff just reeked of low-effort wankery.

I'm listening to this album now, I'm currently digging Fortress. This is maybe not as bad as I expected it to be. Still not a fan of those tracks that dropped before the album came out, gave those more than enough of a chance.

QOTSA still deserve credit for constantly pumping out new albums with distinct new styles/feels. A lot of rock groups just kind of fall into their own schtick, glad this one at least follows that trend even if I don't love all of it.

bosseye

I really liked TWYUTD but now you guys have pointed out it sounds like a car advert backing track that's all I can hear.

Damn you GAF.

Top Bottom