• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queens of the Stone Age - Villains |OT| One Last Feel-Good Hit of the Summer

I sometimes wonder how often bands do this. There is some queens in tcv and vice versa. I remember a story Iggy pop told about David Bowie and the song scary monsters. Bowie had been working on the song off and on for the better part of a decade. Collaborated with Iggy on how to get the song improved but he had nothing. Then 7 or 8 years later Bowie finally got it right and the song was released. I love reading about stuff like that. Makes me wish I had that type of dedication and vision in music

Happens all the time. Sometimes you have a verse or chorus but the rest of the song isn't clicking. Then years down the road you write something else but it's missing a part. Then you realize that thing you wrote years ago fits in perfectly with the song.

I think is a pretty solid album. Enjoyed it more than Clockwork.

• Feet Don't Fail Me
    That 5:05 minute is incredible. And the song is catchy and has nice replay value all along. I won't be getting tired of this one for quite some time.
    "Time to go, regret it later
    We're going take it as it comes
    Future tense meets middle finger
    We take the long way home"

• The Way You Used To
    Probably my least favorite track of the album. Very solid though, but I feel I will be bored with it after a while.
  • Domesticated Animals
    If not my favorite, a close second. The second bridge is amazing and makes the whole song something special.
  • Fortress
    First listen was... strange. It gave me a Foo Fighters commercial vibe. Didn't like the melody. Second listen I focus on the lyrics... and damn, Josh is truly mastering his skills. And making it personal for his daughter is really nice:
    "I believe I know you
    Yet, I don't truly know myself
    I pray you won't feel as alone as I have felt
    I don't want to fail you so
    I tell you the awful truth
    Everyone faces darkness on their own
    As I have done, so will you"

• Head Like a Haunted House
    Strike down from Era Vulgaris I fucking love this song! I really want to hear it live and loud. The "Black Flag" down-stokes in the last part are amazing chance of pace.
  • Un-Reborn Again
    The most Lullabies type of song in the record. I really like it. And all around well written,
    witty, strong track.
  • Hideaway
    Like a continuation from Clockwork. Really nice song but nothing amazing besides Josh falsettos.
  • The Evil Has Landed
    All I can say is that I can't wait for this song live. I hope it blows me away... And that 5:07 minute with the "Here. We. Come." followed by the most first album melody in a WHILE.
    It's just great...
  • Villains Of Circumstance
    I won't lie... I like the acoustic version better. But it's a great song...

Overall a really nice album. Happy QotSA is here...

9/10

Bronx-Man

Banned
This honestly might be favorite QOTSA album. But while I love almost every track (Fortress is just ehh to me), I can't say any song on here matches the highs of I Appear Missing.

Robot Pants

This honestly might be favorite QOTSA album. But while I love almost every track (Fortress is just ehh to me), I can't say any song on here matches the highs of I Appear Missing.
It's gonna be very hard to top I Appear Missing. Which is probably their best song ever

High five! I Appear Missing is like my top 5 all time songs of any band and my favorite QOTSA song.

I do like Villians. It's different then LC and no where near as grimy, it's still a really cool album upon first listen, which means it's only gonna get better.

Standout tracks: feet don't fail me, domesticated animals, fortress is really cool, un-reborn again is really great and I think the evil has landed is my fave track.

Overall I'm happy with this album. Good stuff for sure, can't wait to really get into it.

Edit so much I appear missing love! Awesome!

Tuffty

I'm in that headspace where there are some definite stand out tracks after the first listen (Villians of Circumstance, Domesticated Animals, Unreborn Again) but need to give others a few more ties to see if I appreciate it all better. Happens with every QOTSA album in fairness. The live performances of The Evil Has Landed and The Way You Used To Do sound a lot better than the studio version, so I'd love to hear how the rest sound. I don't think Villians will be one of my favourite QOTSA albums but never the less it still makes QOTSA one of the best bands around.

AcridMeat

Banned
When y'all have time you should check out Oh Sees' new album Orc as well. It's also dope, this week has been awesome for music.

Ristifer

I gotta say, so far I am a bit disappointed by this album, which is a surprise for me. I am usually all for QotSA, but this album just isn't doing it so far. The songs just don't feel like they have the same fun surprises that I'd expect from the band. I remember hearing If I Had A Tail for the first time and it had that really heavy part near the end, or I Appear Missing, which had that cool galloping part that sounds like you're actually falling (the whole song is a beast). I don't hear any of those really cool moments here. The songs just seem plain to me so far.

I ended up seeing the band on the LC tour and I was absolutely pumped to see those songs live. Keep Your Eyes Peeled, If I Had A Tail, I Sat By The Ocean, I Appear Missing, the title track, etc. I wanted to hear all of those songs. I think Head Like A Haunted House and Un-Reborn Again may be the only songs I'd really want to hear live from this album. I'm sure the rest would be fine live, but I don't feel the same excitement.

I'll listen to it a few more times and see if my opinion changes. But yeah, I feel kinda disappointed with it at the moment.

Gotten through about 5 listens at this point.

I like it a lot, it's solid, great even in spots and I think consistency is a really undervalued quality in rock or music in general. You know when you sit down with a Queens record you're gonna find at least a handful of jams to take with you.

This has that, and it moves briskly to boot but I really wished it sounded a bit better. Everything sounds a little thin, this is really noticeable on TWUTD, which can grate at times because the guitars sound simultaneously tiny and overbearing. I got them stuck in my head but I can't tell if it's in the good way or bad.

Also how you gonna have Jon Theodore in your band and not let him bust out at least ONE monster beat? Or let the drums in general get the short end of the stick? No lie, You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar was probably the first track I ever heard that opened my eyes to drumming so it's a huge bummer that the drums don't really get a moment to shine here.

Missing the heaviness too, outside of the last really fun minute of The Evil Has Landed, it's really not a heavy record at all, nothing like Misfit Love, If I Had A Tail, Millionaire, etc.

Lack of guests is kinda weird too, though I guess it goes a long way in making the record feel consistent. All my sound complaints aside it's a really enjoyable record, I don't think there's a single song here I wouldn't keep or want to skip.

I like it a lot, it's solid, great even in spots and I think consistency is a really undervalued quality in rock or music in general. You know when you sit down with a Queens record you're gonna find at least a handful of jams to take with you.

This has that, and it moves briskly to boot but I really wished it sounded a bit better. Everything sounds a little thin, this is really noticeable on TWUTD, which can grate at times because the guitars sound simultaneously tiny and overbearing. I got them stuck in my head but I can't tell if it's in the good way or bad.

Also how you gonna have Jon Theodore in your band and not let him bust out at least ONE monster beat? Or let the drums in general get the short end of the stick? No lie, You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar was probably the first track I ever heard that opened my eyes to drumming so it's a huge bummer that the drums don't really get a moment to shine here.

Missing the heaviness too, outside of the last really fun minute of The Evil Has Landed, it's really not a heavy record at all, nothing like Misfit Love, If I Had A Tail, Millionaire, etc.

Lack of guests is kinda weird too, though I guess it goes a long way in making the record feel consistent. All my sound complaints aside it's a really enjoyable record, I don't think there's a single song here I wouldn't keep or want to skip.

one interesting thing on the way you used to is that the "claps" you hear aren't overdubbed or added, it's literally jon playing that on drums (along with the other stuff he's doing). i saw an interview with josh yesterday where he talked about it. pretty awesome, but i do agree this isn't an album that showcases jon's incredible talents. Still, while it's not some incredible drumming performance, it is extremely solid given what he is being asked to do.

I get that they don't want 'musicians of the moment' to pop in on the tracks, but no Lanegan? The Mark they truly needed on this LP. I've been listening to the album for the past couple of weeks and nothing has made me believe Ronson was the right choice. Ultimately good songs shine through regardless but still.

Anyway I presume they're still good friends, Josh turned up on Lanegan's album a few months back.

I get that they don't want 'musicians of the moment' to pop in on the tracks, but no Lanegan? The Mark they truly needed on this LP. I've been listening to the album for the past couple of weeks and nothing has made me believe Ronson was the right choice. Ultimately good songs shine through regardless but still.

Anyway I presume they're still good friends, Josh turned up on Lanegan's album a few months back.

when i heard of no guests, the first thing i thought of is maybe too many guests caused delays in getting the records out? You take a look at how long it took from era vulgaris to like clockwork (6 years!) and it's too much. Who knows if that is part of it (probably wasn't given that their first few albums had guests and had no problem getting them out every 2-3 years) but if no guests means we get more queens sooner then i'm fine with it.

I gotta say, so far I am a bit disappointed by this album, which is a surprise for me. I am usually all for QotSA, but this album just isn't doing it so far. The songs just don't feel like they have the same fun surprises that I'd expect from the band. I remember hearing If I Had A Tail for the first time and it had that really heavy part near the end, or I Appear Missing, which had that cool galloping part that sounds like you're actually falling (the whole song is a beast). I don't hear any of those really cool moments here. The songs just seem plain to me so far.

I ended up seeing the band on the LC tour and I was absolutely pumped to see those songs live. Keep Your Eyes Peeled, If I Had A Tail, I Sat By The Ocean, I Appear Missing, the title track, etc. I wanted to hear all of those songs. I think Head Like A Haunted House and Un-Reborn Again may be the only songs I'd really want to hear live from this album. I'm sure the rest would be fine live, but I don't feel the same excitement.

I'll listen to it a few more times and see if my opinion changes. But yeah, I feel kinda disappointed with it at the moment.
Damn, this feels true too. Almost everything here is 5 minutes long and they don't feel like it, but they don't feel as dynamic as some other QOTSA songs, they sound too streamlined.

one interesting thing on the way you used to is that the "claps" you hear aren't overdubbed or added, it's literally jon playing that on drums (along with the other stuff he's doing). i saw an interview with josh yesterday where he talked about it. pretty awesome, but i do agree this isn't an album that showcases jon's incredible talents. Still, while it's not some incredible drumming performance, it is extremely solid given what he is being asked to do.
Haha that's actually pretty neat, I have no doubt I'm probably not picking up tons of little surprises in the mix but I still wish he got the chance to cut loose, I wanted a One Day as a Lion Theodore type of track lol.
when i heard of no guests, the first thing i thought of is maybe too many guests caused delays in getting the records out? You take a look at how long it took from era vulgaris to like clockwork (6 years!) and it's too much. Who knows if that is part of it (probably wasn't given that their first few albums had guests and had no problem getting them out every 2-3 years) but if no guests means we get more queens sooner then i'm fine with it.
Maybe, but I still feel like 4 years is a really long wait. Granted, we still got Josh side projects in between then but still, nothing compares to a real Queens record, maybe sometimes that TCV thing did the trick in spots.

It's also a little strange it doesn't seem to be getting brought up that much considering people seemed let down the guests on LC didn't get to do much, though I liked the use of them there, but really this doesn't seem like something with much room for another personality on a track I guess.

Damn, this feels true too. Almost everything here is 5 minutes long and they don't feel like it, but they don't feel as dynamic as some other QOTSA songs, they sound too streamlined.

Haha that's actually pretty neat, I have no doubt I'm probably not picking up tons of little surprises in the mix but I still wish he got the chance to cut loose, I wanted a One Day as a Lion Theodore type of track lol.

Maybe, but I still feel like 4 years is a really long wait. Granted, we still got Josh side projects in between then but still, nothing compares to a real Queens record, maybe sometimes that TCV thing did the trick in spots.

It's also a little strange it doesn't seem to be getting brought up that much considering people seemed let down the guests on LC didn't get to do much, though I liked the use of them there, but really this doesn't seem like something with much room for another personality on a track I guess.

i didn't even know that was trent on kalopsia until like a year after the album came out. also, seems like josh is writing more about his kids lately (kalopsia, fortress). i secretly hope there is a treasure trove of unreleased queens stuff but i doubt it. i'm still puzzled as to why The Fun Machine Took a Shit and Died and Era Vulgaris weren't included on lullabies/era vulgaris (respectively)

Protome

I'm really liking it but I'd place it firmly in the middle of their catalogue in terms of quality.

I love how inspired by Bowie a couple of the songs are though (in particular they sound very like something from Scary Monsters which is great.)

I'd probably go

Like Clockwork > Songs for the Deaf > Lullabies to Paralyze > Villains > Rated R > Era Vulgaris > QOTSA

JNT

I have been listening to this album for ten hours straight now. I would rate Villains behind several previous albums such as Songs for the Deaf, Rated R, ...Like Clockwork, and their self-titled album. That being said, it is not by any means a bad album. In fact, it's a really, really good album. It just so happens that it is competing against so many other good albums from the same band.

I really appreciate how some of the songs add some Disasterpiece-esque synth and others take their cues from Eagles of Death Metal.

Fantastic album. I doubted Mark Ronson but his production is masterclass. The drums are dead in some tracks and funky in other, but this is modern QOTSA at its finest, taking influence from all of their records and creating a beautiful piece of music.

I'd say it's a great album to listen in it's entirety, though I'm not sure if I have yet found a song that I'd jam to on its own. Domesticated Animals and Fortress are so much fun to listen to.

Hesh

QOTSA is playing in California on October 7th at Cal Jam, just a heads-up since that isn't in the OP for their tour dates.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
The album is trash, I gave it two full listens but never again. QOTSA is one of any favorite bands too :(

There's just nothing memorable, no groovy sounds. Not really feeling the new sound at all.

I'll still see them again for their upcoming concert.

Bliddo

I hated the first listen.
Then I played it again, then again, and it hit me.
I'll put this on par with ...Like Clockwork and Songs for the deaf.
Really looking forward to seeing them this November.

AcridMeat

Banned
The album is trash, I gave it two full listens but never again. QOTSA is one of any favorite bands too :(

There's just nothing memorable, no groovy sounds. Not really feeling the new sound at all.

I'll still see them again for their upcoming concert.
Sorry but I'm not sure how you can listen to the opener and not think that's groovy.

Ernest

Banned
My QOTSA album ranking!

1. Rated R*
2. Like Clockwork
3. Them Crooked Vultures**
4. Songs for the Deaf
5. Villains
6. Lullabies to Paralyze
7. Era Vulgaris
8. self-titled

*I was an OG Kyuss fan, but didn't discover QOTSA until Rated R, so that was my intro to the band, so a very subjective #1.
**I consider TCV to be a QOTSA album. I mean, Homme unlike his other side-projects, wrote all the songs, sings and plays guitars. Jones and Grohl were essentially the same hired hands like he gets for QOTSA albums.

Veal

What Jon is doing in Feet is downright magical. That song is like the closest they've ever sounded like the idea that drove Josh's style for so long. Specifically the one of sounding like broken disco robots. I can't think of another song from them that grooved that hard.

THe evil has landed is amazing, as well as fortress. After a few listens I'm already gettin songs stuck in my head. This is a really great album, QOTSA always delivers. Man their discography is fire.

1.fortress
2. The evil has landed
3.head like a haunted house

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Sorry but I'm not sure how you can listen to the opener and not think that's groovy.

That song doesn't start until the 1:30 minute mark and then basically comes to another stand still at the 4:00 minute mark.

When the music actually opens up it's a bit too fast to call it groovy. I do like this song, gave me hope for the album but it's mostly boring

Probably a great song to hear live though but didn't enjoy it during the album experience

Ristifer

I'm slowly starting to come around on this album. Still not sure how I would rank it. I'm still allowing it to soak in. I'm not really used to this with QotSA. I have always instantly liked their albums, so this is new territory. I'll have to see if I enjoy it more and more as I listen to it.

Wamb0wneD

I think I listened to Villains of Circumstance 10 times in a row now. So fucking good. This is ...LIke Clockwork level of good. Fuck me I love this album.

III-V

Saw these guys maybe 15 years ago in a tiny club in my hometown. About 200 peeps. They were ok, but the opening band they were touring with blew the house down. Really wacky band, I don't remember too much about them but really far out.

AcridMeat

Banned
Listening to Bowie's Scary Monsters again. Think they listened to it quite a bit when recording.
That song doesn't start until the 1:30 minute mark and then basically comes to another stand still at the 4:00 minute mark.
Not sure how that's relevant to groove. The builds adds to it.

When the music actually opens up it's a bit too fast to call it groovy. I do like this song, gave me hope for the album but it's mostly boring
Fair enough. I harken it to early RHCP in terms of pace, maybe funky is a better term for it, but it instantly gets me moving which I think is groovy.

Listening to this now finally...

I thought the mix for The Way that you used to was a YouTube issue when i first heard it, but evidently not. WTF is up with the bass mix in it!?

http://www.stereogum.com/1959943/the-10-best-queens-of-the-stone-age-songs/franchises/10-best-songs/

Thought y'all might get a kick out of this. Pretty good but still some key omissions imo. Normally don't care for them but fuck it, I love this band,

10. Fortress
9. God is in the Radio
8. No One Knows
7. If I Had a Tail
6. If Only
5. You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar , best Nick song bar none, probably the first song that got me into Queens, it's just so scorched earth that I couldn't turn it off.
4. In the Fade , LIVE TILL YOU DIE. Deluxe version tho, gotta have that Feel Good reprise connected.
Do It Again
, feel like this one is under appreciated, one of the best rockers in their catalog and I can never hear the last minute without wanting to play airbass and swing my hair around. One of Josh's best choruses too.
I Appear Missing
, I adore the last two minutes of this song, it gives me such a whirlwind of emotions everytime I hear it, and the bass is fucking delicious again.
Misfit Love
, I've listened to this song 565 times, practically two days of my life spent on this shit, it makes me feel like concrete can be crushed with my footsteps.

Including stuff from Villains was hard, still too fresh, but if it wasn't Fortress it was gonna be The Evil has Landed of FDFMN.

http://www.stereogum.com/1959943/the-10-best-queens-of-the-stone-age-songs/franchises/10-best-songs/

Thought y'all might get a kick out of this. Pretty good but still some key omissions imo. Normally don't care for them but fuck it, I love this band,

10. Fortress
9. God is in the Radio
8. No One Knows
7. If I Had a Tail
6. If Only
5. You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar , best Nick song bar none, probably the first song that got me into Queens, it's just so scorched earth that I couldn't turn it off.
4. In the Fade , LIVE TILL YOU DIE. Deluxe version tho, gotta have that Feel Good reprise connected.
Do It Again
, feel like this one is under appreciated, one of the best rockers in their catalog and I can never hear the last minute without wanting to play airbass and swing my hair around. One of Josh's best choruses too.
I Appear Missing
, I adore the last two minutes of this song, it gives me such a whirlwind of emotions everytime I hear it, and the bass is fucking delicious again.
Misfit Love
, I've listened to this song 565 times, practically two days of my life spent on this shit, it makes me feel like concrete can be crushed with my footsteps.

Including stuff from Villains was hard, still too fresh, but if it wasn't Fortress it was gonna be The Evil has Landed of FDFMN.

i saw this yesterday and just disagree with most. Queens has very few songs i don't like, so i'm not going to argue too much but songs like Avon, song for the dead, i'm designer, auto pilot.... the list goes on. it'd be tough to come up with a top 10 and i would suspect most fans top 10 might change from week to week

Top Bottom