• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest 2 owners do you plan to upgrade to the Quest 3

Do you plan to upgrade to the Quest 3

• Yes as soon as I can

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • No interest

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • Maybe down the road

Votes: 41 39.4%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I got my Quest 2 for Xmas 2020 back when the 64gb version was $300. I bought the elite headstrap, extra battery pack and accessories and that brought the price closer to $400. The most popular software on the platform is mostly the software that has been available since launch. Looking at the Quest 3, it appears to be a decent upgrade. Better Processor, better fov, better resolution, better controllers, etc. The issue in my book is that I cannot justify the $500 price tag. I think Meta let the success of the Quest 2 get to their head. The $299 was a good consumer friendly price. I do not see many consumers dropping $500 on the Quest 3 that doesn't do much more than what their current Quest 2 does.. The augmented reality is a neat angle but there isn't much software available to really push it.

The software is the biggest problem. Most of the Quest 2 store does little to currently support the Quest 3. There isn't any Quest 3 exclusives to my knowledge. My point is unless your a tech geek like me there is little reason to upgrade the Quest 2 or convince newbies to buy the Quest 3. Sure a handful of developers are making updates for the Quest 3 but the vast majority are not. If there is a price drop and better software I may consider it down the road. As a tech geek even I cannot convince myself there is a good reason to buy the Quest 3. Just my opinion.

MarkMe2525

There aren't any mixed reality games worth the upgrade atm and while it does have a clarity advantage, it isn't completely transformative. If I owned a Quest 2, I wouldn't be upgrading at $499 plus all the accessories. I was coming from the OG Quest so it made more sense.

P.s. I still love my Quest 3. It isn't perfect, but it's a really good kit. Now they need to get their pro controllers down to the $150 range. The lack of a ring is introducing drifting on certain games where you point the controller away from you (like golf).

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
As someone who.just made the jump from 2 to 3, I'd say you are right. A lack of new software and massive jump means sitting this one out might made sense, unless you use your quest 2 a lot. And agreed, if the price was lower it's an easier sell.

Zuzu

No probably not. I’m gonna sell my Quest 2 and that will likely be the end of my VR journey for a fair while. There’s not enough high quality games on the platform and tbh it’s still an awkward, inconvenient and somewhat uncomfortable way to play games.

If it had eye tracking at that price I might be tempted. Quest pro is too spendy for what you get even with its price cut, at least it is for me. I’m excited about the potential of the improved passthrough for alleviating the feelings of disorientation and isolation especially in newbies, but I would really like to see some more innovative software that utilizes mixed reality’s full potential and gives us some truly new experiences. The quest line is a great entry point and easy to share with friends, but as I get more invested in VR I’m looking at saving up for something like a big screen beyond to maximize the PCVR experience.

I don’t need another quest unless this quest 2 breaks, which may indeed happen at the pace I’ve been playing it. Therefore, maybe down the road.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Definitely upgrading soon. I'm looking forward to the increased clarity of pancake lenses, color passthrough, and AV1 support for Virtual Desktop. I recently upgraded my PC and haven't really played much VR through my Quest 2 since I'm waiting to get a Quest 3 to get a simultaneous wow factor. Looking forward to playing Asgard's Wrath 2, AC Nexus, Arizona Sunshine II, and Lego Bricktales MR. Pretty exciting lineup of games in the next month or 2.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Quest 3 is a massive upgrade compared to Quest 2 for me. The clarity has got to the point where it’s a viable option to replace a monitor/tv. Games look spectacular in it.

I didn’t think mixed reality would be that great but I was wrong. I use it all the time now.
Finally the performance increase is very impressive. Some games look like PCVR titles.

Fredrik

Asgards Wrath 2 is pretty awsome. Not sure if people consider it AAA but its impressive.
Yeah I saw the IGN 10/10. Assassin’s Creed seems cool too.

But I’m not jumping in until I see a decent list of great games released, I’m tired of investing in potential and spend money on plastic that will likely collect dust in half a year. I’m already questioning why I have consoles, I have more hours logged on Starfield alone on Steam than all my hours on all consoles combined this year.

Quest 3 seems interesting for the lenses tho, sounds great to not have to worry about a sweet spot. I wish there was demo stations at electronics stores.

MarkMe2525

But I’m not jumping in until I see a decent list of great games released, I’m tired of investing in potential and spend money on plastic that will likely collect dust in half a year. I’m already questioning why I have consoles, I have more hours logged on Starfield alone on Steam than all my hours on all consoles combined this year.

Quest 3 seems interesting for the lenses tho, sounds great to not have to worry about a sweet spot. I wish there was demo stations at electronics stores.
The lenses are that good. My wife had issues with the Q2 regarding finding her IPD sweetspot. She can put the Q3 on and the IPD adjustment barely matters. She is in the mid 60's and can use it set to my 59 without issue.

I use mine exclusively for vr link, i dont really have the need or interest to drop another $500
You would absolutely see a significant benefit, but I would also be torn on spending $500 if I weren't using any of the standalone features.

Last edited:

RavageX

I don't think so. I like VR and have Quest 2 and both PSVRs, but I don't think I can justify the upgrade right now.

Killer8

I just bought a Quest 2 in the last hour on clearance as a CV1 upgrade. Gonna just be happy staying one gen behind (I have a PSVR2 too).

MScarpa

I understand. FYI Game pass just released on Quest today, so you can stream now on the Quest devices. Its amazing.

I got my Quest 2 for Xmas 2020 back when the 64gb version was $300. I bought the elite headstrap, extra battery pack and accessories and that brought the price closer to $400. The most popular software on the platform is mostly the software that has been available since launch. Looking at the Quest 3, it appears to be a decent upgrade. Better Processor, better fov, better resolution, better controllers, etc. The issue in my book is that I cannot justify the $500 price tag. I think Meta let the success of the Quest 2 get to their head. The $299 was a good consumer friendly price. I do not see many consumers dropping $500 on the Quest 3 that doesn't do much more than what their current Quest 2 does.. The augmented reality is a neat angle but there isn't much software available to really push it.

The software is the biggest problem. Most of the Quest 2 store does little to currently support the Quest 3. There isn't any Quest 3 exclusives to my knowledge. My point is unless your a tech geek like me there is little reason to upgrade the Quest 2 or convince newbies to buy the Quest 3. Sure a handful of developers are making updates for the Quest 3 but the vast majority are not. If there is a price drop and better software I may consider it down the road. As a tech geek even I cannot convince myself there is a good reason to buy the Quest 3. Just my opinion.
Quest 3 is a good PC VR headset, without a PC it's nowhere near as good. Still better than PSVR2 overall though.

Justin9mm

I have my Quest 2 through PCVR + a PSVR2. I think I'm content with these two devices for now. I don't really use my Quest 2 locally anymore as PCVR is obviously a much better experience. Quest 3 would be nice for an upgraded experience on local games/experiences but not sure if really worth buying at this stage. By the time I get around to getting one on a good sale, something else will probably be around the corner. I would probably skip 3 and wait for Quest 4. I think Quest 2 PCVR and PSVR2 will see me through.

Last edited:

Shakka43

It honestly doesn't feel like a generational leap and I haven't been using my Quest 2 enough to have me wanting to upgrade. PSVR2 looks more attractive to me at the moment but even there I'm waiting for a good enough discount before I jump on it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
No desire at all after seeing what psvr 2 has to offer so far. 99% of the games still look like ass.
Q3 is still in its infancy. Not even crawling yet. If Red Matter 2 shows us anything, it’s that Q3 games can look pretty good.

I look at VR differently. I don’t need drop dead visuals. What I want is fun that can’t be had on a tv. Playing Bonelab on a Q2/Q3 is just insane. Then you add some n that you can add player made mods to it and holy shit. And on top of that, strap a Q3 to a OC and you have a top shelf VR headset.

Then there’s the mixed reality stuff that looks fun as hell.

MarkMe2525

It honestly doesn't feel like a generational leap and I haven't been using my Quest 2 enough to have me wanting to upgrade. PSVR2 looks more attractive to me at the moment but even there I'm waiting for a good enough discount before I jump on it.
The graphics will come as devs have time to optimize, but that’s really not where the generational leap really is. The lenses are the best on the market and have a huge impact. The AR seemed gimmicky at first, but playing pool, bowling, table tennis, and racket ball in MR while still being able to be grounded in reality has been awesome and has transformed my use more than anything. And of course, the sleeper feature that will have a big impact is the upper body tracking that just released to devs a few days ago. Torso tracking will have a big impact in how we control locomotion in VR, and bring more realism to social interactions.

MarkMe2525

Any suggestions about games with Moss-like relatively similar type of camera?
Very much an underrepresented style of game. Luckys Tale is one, Fisherman Tale has a similar style camera as well. Check them out on YouTube to see if it fits what you are looking for.

Edit: yurinka yurinka I forgot to mention "Demeter" which releases at the end of January, check it out as it is 3rd person camera but heavily reliant on MR for the Q3.

Last edited:

Beechos

Q3 is still in its infancy. Not even crawling yet. If Red Matter 2 shows us anything, it’s that Q3 games can look pretty good.

I look at VR differently. I don’t need drop dead visuals. What I want is fun that can’t be had on a tv. Playing Bonelab on a Q2/Q3 is just insane. Then you add some n that you can add player made mods to it and holy shit. And on top of that, strap a Q3 to a OC and you have a top shelf VR headset.

Then there’s the mixed reality stuff that looks fun as hell.
For me its the opposite for vr. The lack of detail in most vr games break the immersion for me. So far I've had the quest1, quest 2, psvr and psvr 2 there is the occasional outlier but the majority of stuff still has such simple polygon models that look like they belong in the og xbox/ps2 days and the image quality/screen door effect is still an issue.

People will post screen captures of vr games from a monitor but for anyone who has played vr knows nowhere in game it looks anywhere close to that.

yurinka

Very much an underrepresented style of game. Luckys Tale is one, Fisherman Tale has a similar style camera as well. Check them out on YouTube to see if it fits what you are looking for.

Edit: yurinka yurinka I forgot to mention "Demeter" which releases at the end of January, check it out as it is 3rd person camera but heavily reliant on MR for the Q3.
All 3 look interesting, thanks!

Hot5pur

I would say depends on what you have and what your plans are.
Do you already have a Quest 2? Do you mostly play standalone? I would consider waiting and maybe buying next year when there's a sale.
If you are buying today 100% get the Q3.
If you are into PCVR, will want to have crisp graphics and use quest game optimizer, and are into lots of sports games, I recommend Q3.
That last point is less salient, because augmented reality in sports games is a huge deal. The guardian is not enough to ensure your safety in some cases, so having high quality passthrough in games like ping pong, boxing, and some of the rhythm games is a huge deal.
Ever since getting my Quest I haven't touched flatscreen gaming. It's super immersive and the fact that it's so physical makes it really special. Also if you like sim racing it's absolutely amazing (I generally dislike racing games, but now I'm wanting to learn!).
Also since when are the referrals $60? I believe it's $30.
At any rate if anyone wants to use mine here it is:

Top Bottom