• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest 2 owners do you plan to upgrade to the Quest 3

Do you plan to upgrade to the Quest 3

• Yes as soon as I can

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • No interest

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • Maybe down the road

Votes: 41 39.4%

• Total voters

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Did, and returned it. While it really is much better, the lack of new software was glaring.
Not worth the current price tag. Once it's cheaper, will likely grab it.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Aw man. I just ordered my quest 3 and now the referral is down from $60 to $30.

Bummer. Oh well.
Maybe only certain people can hand out the $60 referrals. Mine still show $60
kuZqkP1.jpg

Drizzlehell

Banned
Nah. Been thinking about it but now I'm even considering getting rid of Quest altogether and replacing it with a different PC headset. I don't really feel comfortable keeping a device that spies on me at home anymore.

Romulus

For one, it just came out. Your post and others read like Quest 3 has been out a year and there aren't any reasons to buy.

The best games do have upgrades. Red Matter 2, Asgards Wrath 2, walking dead, Into the Radius etc all have significant upgrades over quest 2, in fact more than most ps4-ps5 upgrades do. That's just the beginning.

Not to mention every game gets an auto resolution bump of 30% and better FoV.

Significant.

And pcvr is a big upgrade. I test alot of mods on Quest 2 so my battery doesn't drain on Quest 3. When I get everything the way I like it, then I switch to Quest 3. Let me tell you the screen is a massive upgrade, there's just no way around it. The wider fov, huge sweet spot, and much better clarity is a one heck of combination over Quest 2.

Not to mention the AV1 option for streaming for Quest 3.

Having said that, Quest 2 is fine. Does the job.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I gave VR two tries; PSVR and then Quest 2. These were a couple of years apart but the same thing happened both times fun for two weeks then the kids and myself lost interest.

I am officially out on VR. Waste of time IMO, not what I am looking for in a gaming experience. I don’t rule out if there is some revolutionary device that combines VR/AR and haptics but that’s the only thing that will make me waste money on this again.

Klik

As someone who had Quest 2 and upgraded to Quest 3 and been using it for last 2 months, its an amazing upgrade in any way possible.

Better edge to edge clarity

Pancake clarity, huge sweetspot unline in Q2. On Fresnel lens even if you move your eyes for 1mm it looks crappy because sweet spot is so small, with this you can move your head/eyes as you wish and clarity is still there, its amazing

Wider fov

Lens dont fog AT ALL even after hard workout in boxing VR

Good passthrough, you can play table tennis basically in your room and see clearly around you. I would say its 720p res

Much better ventilation and forehead doesnt sweat AT ALL unlike in Q2

Room scanning is much easier

There are so many things that are better than Q2 that are worth the upgrade.

I play mostly Eleven table tennis and simracing

Last edited:

Bond007

Not big enough of an upgrade for me. Especially as someone that isn't some sort of VR Connoisseur.
I have Quest 2 paired with PS VR2 - so atleast for me, I'm good for a while.

I did and let me tell you, it's been worth the extra cash. Those pancake lenses are like magic. No more struggling to find the sweet spot

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
https://www.meta.com/referrals/link/MarkMe2525

use referral beforehand and we both get $60 store credit.

Edit: this goes for everyone. Dont have to use my referral, but get one from someone you know and like to get $60. This is running until the end of the year. Works even if you currently have a Quest 2.
I was planning on getting a Quest 3 512GB from Walmart for in-store pick-up tomorrow. I wonder if it works for other retailers?

Also, when I click it, it says, "There was an issue accepting this referral. You may not be eligible because the country or region is not supported, you referred yourself, or you already accepted this referral." On your end, does it show I accepted it? Or is it because I have to wait for the new device, or remove the Quest 2 from my account? I'm a little confused. The game referrals work no issue.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I was planning on getting a Quest 3 512GB from Walmart for in-store pick-up tomorrow. I wonder if it works for other retailers?

Also, when I click it, it says, "There was an issue accepting this referral. You may not be eligible because the country or region is not supported, you referred yourself, or you already accepted this referral." On your end, does it show I accepted it? Or is it because I have to wait for the new device, or remove the Quest 2 from my account? I'm a little confused. The game referrals work no issue.
It works with any retailer. You click the link and give them your email. When you activate the headset and use that email, we both get $60.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just got quest 2 for my nephew this christmass... let's hope he doesn't know about quest 3 existing :messenger_confounded::messenger_tears_of_joy:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Quest 2 is great for kids and very first entry into VR. It’s all uphill from there.

Great Uncle purchase.
I've not installed anything on it obviously to leave him with fresh experience/setup.
He is 9 I think.
Is that too early for re4 lol ? probably....
What games to recommend to his parents to get? is there anything free?
Obviously side quest + mods for classic games is one thing (doom3, half life1, doom1,2, rtcw- all the stuff I had on quest1 back in the day but sidequest was completely different so I have no idea what to do now).
I am just thinking Robo Recall + beat saber is A MUST.

https://www.meta.com/referrals/link/MarkMe2525

use referral beforehand and we both get $60 store credit.

Edit: this goes for everyone. Dont have to use my referral, but get one from someone you know and like to get $60. This is running until the end of the year. Works even if you currently have a Quest 2.

Shame it seems region based. Picked up a Quest 3 at the weekend so thought I'd try your link but it says may not be eligible because the country or region is not supported (I'm in UK) :messenger_grinning_sweat: ah well, still got my free Asgard Wrath 2 and 25% off welcome offer to grab something on the store with

Bridges

I wish that I wanted to. I was so into the idea of VR and played the Rift nonstop originally, but I barely use the Quest 2. The new upgrades seem incredible but if it is just fo a higher res Best Saber then that's not at all worth it to me.

With the exception of Asgard's Wrath 2 (which is apparently amazing) it feels like all of the "must haves" of VR are exactly the same as they were when I first picked mine up. There's just not a steady enough stream of content to justify it.

Neither here nor there but I'm also still a bit miffed that there was zero backwards compatibility for my existing Oculus Rift library to the Oculus Meta Quest.

Hot5pur

I don't think it's region based (though some are excluded) and I also don't know if it's $60, that might be very targeted, but a few things may be happening. If you are transitioning from a Quest 2 to a Quest 3 you won't get anything because you're already in the ecosystem, ie. no need to be referred.
Of course you can always make a new account to get the referral.
If you've already set up a new Quest 3 but accidentally didn't accept the referral. There is still hope if it's within 7 days.
1. Delete all your device data and unlink the new quest from your account here: https://secure.oculus.com/my/devices/
2. Reset the headset according to this method (doing it from headset may be more reliable): https://www.meta.com/en-gb/help/que...essories/troubleshooting-factory-reset-quest/
3. Use a fresh meta account that doesn't have a Quest tied to it to accept a referral. You can use mine: https://www.meta.com/referrals/link/Hot5pur
4. Set up the device as before and register the headset with the fresh meta account

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
We'll be opening ours (or: my son will, but it's just as much for me) on Christmas.

Our Quest 2 has terrible stick drift anyway, so there are multiple reasons to make the jump... plus we're planning to set this up to try multiplayer with my son and I using both headsets, something we've never been able to do before.

I'm a bit disappointed hearing about the lack of Q3-exclusive titles on the shop. But I hold out hope for the likes of TeamBeef and their ports. Given what they've already done with Quest 2, I can't wait to see what new categories of retro games are ported onto Q3 with the additional power. EDIT: they already updated their Doom3 port for Q3, with dynamic shadows on top of the higher refresh and higher resolution.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Wait... should I refer myself (create a new Meta account on the Q3, and use my own referral code from Q2)?

Then I'd have $60 to spend to re-buy the games on the new account that we want for multiplayer, plus get credit on the old one. Seems like a win-win even if it requires me to split into 2 accounts going forward.

Hot5pur

Wait... should I refer myself (create a new Meta account on the Q3, and use my own referral code from Q2)?

Then I'd have $60 to spend to re-buy the games on the new account that we want for multiplayer, plus get credit on the old one. Seems like a win-win even if it requires me to split into 2 accounts going forward.
I believe you could also activate on the new account by referring yourself, then gift games you buy from new account to old account, then switch to old account. Just careful where you accept Asgard's Wrath 2 for free (on old account ideally). I haven't done this but it should work for any of you who are going from Quest 2 to 3, and if you want to keep everything on one account.

MarkMe2525

Shame it seems region based. Picked up a Quest 3 at the weekend so thought I'd try your link but it says may not be eligible because the country or region is not supported (I'm in UK) :messenger_grinning_sweat: ah well, still got my free Asgard Wrath 2 and 25% off welcome offer to grab something on the store with
Yeah, that's lame. It should be for everyone

MarkMe2525

I don't think it's region based (though some are excluded) and I also don't know if it's $60, that might be very targeted, but a few things may be happening. If you are transitioning from a Quest 2 to a Quest 3 you won't get anything because you're already in the ecosystem, ie. no need to be referred.
Of course you can always make a new account to get the referral.
If you've already set up a new Quest 3 but accidentally didn't accept the referral. There is still hope if it's within 7 days.
1. Delete all your device data and unlink the new quest from your account here: https://secure.oculus.com/my/devices/
2. Reset the headset according to this method (doing it from headset may be more reliable): https://www.meta.com/en-gb/help/que...essories/troubleshooting-factory-reset-quest/
3. Use a fresh meta account that doesn't have a Quest tied to it to accept a referral. You can use mine: https://www.meta.com/referrals/link/Hot5pur
4. Set up the device as before and register the headset with the fresh meta account
I would be afraid this dummy account would mess up the asgards wrath redemption and it gets stuck on the wrong account.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I've not installed anything on it obviously to leave him with fresh experience/setup.
He is 9 I think.
Obviously side quest + mods for classic games is one thing (doom3, half life1, doom1,2, rtcw- all the stuff I had on quest1 back in the day but sidequest was completely different so I have no idea what to do now).
Those a great choices. I think if you can buy one more, Walkabout Minigolf is a must.

Hot5pur

I would be afraid this dummy account would mess up the asgards wrath redemption and it gets stuck on the wrong account.
Yep that's a good point. It gives you a screen to redeem it so people best not redeem it on an account they don't want. I don't think it's automatically activated but I can't remember anymore.

MarkMe2525

Yep that's a good point. It gives you a screen to redeem it so people best not redeem it on an account they don't want. I don't think it's automatically activated but I can't remember anymore.
Yeah, I was explaining the dummy account process to someone when they pointed that out. I'm glad they caught it, I would of felt like shit if I took part in someone missing out on their free game. On the flip side, the game is $60 but then you have to add taxes (hence why I have a fake Oregon address that doesn't get charged sales tax 😉)

MarkMe2525

He is 9 I think.
Lots of free content like Gym Class, RecRoom, Roblox

Haha yes, 9 is too young for RE4 (especially in VR)

Last edited:
Maybe but I lost interest in VR for now. I got PSVR and quest enjoyed my time with them even paired my quest with my pc and enjoyed that for a bit especially half life Alyx. But I think I’ll skip PSVR2 and quest 3 for now.

draliko

had a quest2, didn't really use it for long (from no vr legs to hard to find sweet spot), but had a couple of fun nights with it... then sold it after a year. Now sincerely the quest3 bug is biting me... the price isn't much of a concern, but i really need to decide if i want to get serious about vr gaming or no... i'm a bit burned from console/pc gaming right now (too much story in the games, gameplay got left behind long ago, i game for the interactive side of things, otherwise i could watch a film or an anime...) so this could be the new spark or the nail in the coffin... gonna see a couple videos on youtube and decide... anyway ther's someone that was burned from quest2 and decided to buy a 3 and is happy?? sorry for the small rant..

Caio

I bought Meta Quest 3 for my young son, and he's loving it. We have no experience with Quest 2, so I can't talk about improvements, etc, but I see many others have. I also tried it, I found it fantastic and so immersive.

j0hnnix

I have barely used my Quest 2 since my gf got it for me on Xmas 2021. I probably will soon, setting a small area just for it. I haven't seen the need to upgrade at this point. Unless I missed it I wish manufacturers setup return for upgrade. Either way, once I get more time with Q2 maybe in the future I'll upgrade. Q3 with body motion detection, ar etc are really interesting to me.

Also, The fact that finally the whole need for Facebook account is gone which screwed me over the first year setting it up was a blessing after all the headaches.

FunkMiller

Played a bit of Asgard's Wrath 2 on a friend's Quest 3, then picked it up for my Quest 2.

The difference in quality is far too small for the upgrade.

Great game though.

Majukun

eveery now and then i get the impulse, then i remember i'm not rich and there are better uses for that much money, especially for how little i use vr nowadays

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
eveery now and then i get the impulse, then i remember i'm not rich and there are better uses for that much money, especially for how little i use vr nowadays
Totally understandable. VR is not for everyone. And the entry price can be very overwhelming to newcomers.

Romulus

Played a bit of Asgard's Wrath 2 on a friend's Quest 3, then picked it up for my Quest 2.

The difference in quality is far too small for the upgrade.

Great game though.

40% resolution increase and 90fps vs 72fps. I noticed it instantly switching back and forth but not worth buying a Q3 for

Last edited:

FunkMiller

40% resolution increase and 90fps vs 72fps. I noticed it instantly switching back and forth but not worth buying a Q3 for

Honestly didn’t feel anything like a step up enough to justify the upgrade. I was actually very surprised at how well it runs on Quest 2.

Romulus

Honestly didn’t feel anything like a step up enough to justify the upgrade. I was actually very surprised at how well it runs on Quest 2.

It runs really well on Q2, but switching back and forth the upgrade is instantly apparent. We're only on patch 1 for Q3 though and 2 more visual patches are planned in 2024.

Wonko_C

had a quest2, didn't really use it for long (from no vr legs to hard to find sweet spot), but had a couple of fun nights with it... then sold it after a year. Now sincerely the quest3 bug is biting me... the price isn't much of a concern, but i really need to decide if i want to get serious about vr gaming or no... i'm a bit burned from console/pc gaming right now (too much story in the games, gameplay got left behind long ago, i game for the interactive side of things, otherwise i could watch a film or an anime...) so this could be the new spark or the nail in the coffin... gonna see a couple videos on youtube and decide... anyway ther's someone that was burned from quest2 and decided to buy a 3 and is happy?? sorry for the small rant..
The bolded has been me from the tail end of the 360 generation upwards, retro+indie games were the only thing keeping gaming alive for me... Until I got a PSVR back in 2017, and later on a Quest 2 in 2022.

Back on topic, I'm skipping the Quest 3 and will wait for the Quest 4. At the rate they release then feels like they keep releasing mid-gen refreshes like the PS4 Pro, anyway. Quest 2 was like a Quest 1 Pro and I figure Quest 4 will be my Q3Pro.
Also I want a PSVR2 for the exclusives, still have to get a PS5 too though. It will take me a fair while to save enough for them.

sigmaZ

After using VR for nearly 7 years now, I've found that VR just isn't that great for long-term gaming. While it's not all bad, I think the issue is that it's not limited in scope enough so you get a whole bunch of neat little thralls but very little of thorough substance. If I were Nintendo or someone and I made a VR platform I would focus on the 2D games in VR like Moss. I would love a Mario platformer a proper JRPG like that. And they are easy to play and be immersed for a long time without getting worn out.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So for those that jumped on Quest 3, how has it been?

I’m seriously thinking about jumping back into VR this summer, from the old Oculus Rift. Mainly PCVR but I’m not quite sure if it’s worth going impulse price and still capable Quest 2? Or is the extra couple hundred bucks for Quest 3 worth it to have the most recent model?

Is screen door effect still a thing?

Reallink

So for those that jumped on Quest 3, how has it been?

I’m seriously thinking about jumping back into VR this summer, from the old Oculus Rift. Mainly PCVR but I’m not quite sure if it’s worth going impulse price and still capable Quest 2? Or is the extra couple hundred bucks for Quest 3 worth it to have the most recent model?

Is screen door effect still a thing?
Not so much in your face screen door, but the low resolution is still obvious compared to your modern monitors or TVs. The lenses and resolution upgrade from a CV1 will be massive, but the LCD's inferior contrast/colors and lossy PCVR compression artifacts will be equal part downgrades. I've never touched or seen a Quest 2 in person so I can't really speak to differences or worth, I used an Index during that "generation". If the extra $200 ain't gonna have you skipping meals or pawning stuff off, I'd get the Q3 for its superior SOC performance (which also benefits PCVR, it can stream higher bitrates) as there's likely to be a Quest exclusive game you want to play in the future (like Asguards Wrath or Ass Creed).

Last edited:

Romulus

After using VR for nearly 7 years now, I've found that VR just isn't that great for long-term gaming. While it's not all bad, I think the issue is that it's not limited in scope enough so you get a whole bunch of neat little thralls but very little of thorough substance. If I were Nintendo or someone and I made a VR platform I would focus on the 2D games in VR like Moss. I would love a Mario platformer a proper JRPG like that. And they are easy to play and be immersed for a long time without getting worn out.

So you were playing games with no substance for 7 years in VR? That actually speaks volumes to the technology. There's absolutely no platform I would play crap games for 7 years on.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

So you were playing games with no substance for 7 years in VR? That actually speaks volumes to the technology. There's absolutely no platform I would play crap games for 7 years on.
I used it for socializing and watching movies on apps like Bigscreen and VR Chat. It's fantastic for that kind of thing.

Top Bottom