• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about jesus origin story

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Red_Man said:
So first off this isn't suppose to be a religion vs atheism or anything like that thread, I was just re-watching Bil Maher's documentary Religulous, and he brings up the point about how there are a variety of different diety stories that are either exactly the same, or very similar to the Jesus Christ story, that came before the Jesus story. I was wondering if anyone knows more about this? Also I'm curious how the church reconciles this point.

The Church rarely reconciles anything.

"God's will".

/story

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tkawsome said:
I'm curious too. I thought the Beast was the one to reign for 1000 years. It's been a while since I read Revelations though.

I'm pretty sure you're right, and that the 1000 years refers to a 1000 year period where satan is free to do what he wants, and tempt all the sinners, and then once this 1000 year reign is over Jesus will come down and separate the sinners from the believers, and destroy Satan.

Chichikov

Teh Hamburglar said:
I find your post threatening to my world view and choose to ignore it.
I know you're joking, but it's worth mentioning that biblical criticism is not inherently at odds with religion.
In fact, many "mainstream" religions embrace biblical criticism, including the catholic church.

There are theological rationalizations to the similarities the OP asked about.
Some of them are even more compelling than "LOL plagiarism!".

It+s+Magic+I+ain+t+gotta+explain+shit_100a6a_663520.jpg

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Qwomo said:
I like how the well-sourced Wikipedia article contradicts the unsourced nonsense article you posted right below it.
I can't compare yet, but if true, one of the comments is some icing: "Concise and scholarly as always, Willie. I love your work."

C.Dark.DN

Banned
jaxword said:
I think it's a sign of the changing attitudes towards religion and the martyr complex that is increasing. You've seen this, an example would be claiming persecution at the slightest dissent from the religious belief, regardless if it's related to the debate.
Sacrifice in fiction is powerful and good storytelling. Usually doesn't have to to with religion. Sometimes it's to protect the world if they have super powers. Being directly effected by sacrifice is powerful. The Martyr complex is psychological need for your own sake is it not? The video was insulting Jesus's sacrifice and people watching and retelling not other people who do it and then get defined as having a martyr complex.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What I don't get is why people get so upset over what other people believe in the first place. Many people are looking for something larger than themselves to believe in and they find comfort and community in churches. Sure, it's easy to reason away what someone else believes, but what good does that do?

ReBurn said:
What I don't get is why people get so upset over what other people believe in the first place. Many people are looking for something larger than themselves to believe in and they find comfort and community in churches. Sure, it's easy to reason away what someone else believes, but what good does that do?
Because those beliefs affect others.

And as others have said, an awful lot of the 'Jesus is just like other Gods' is wrong.

Tron 2.0

ReBurn said:
Because people's beliefs affect others.

I don't care if someone believes in a magical man from the sky, but I do care that they think that gives them a right to dictate my life.

Pastry

Banned
Kalnos said:
There are a ton but I think they're talking about Horus.

As to how the church reconciles the point... probably just try to point to historic proof that Jesus actually existed (though that's sketchy in and of itself).
I think the better question for this thread is who the historical Jesus really was.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tron 2.0 said:

I don't care if someone believes in a magical man from the sky, but I do care that they think that gives them a right to dictate my life.

Or be bigoted towards others life choices.

Air

Banned
DeathIsTheEnd said:
Because those beliefs can affect others.

And as others have said, an awful lot of the 'Jesus is just like other Gods' is wrong.

Fixed. I understand what you mean, and generally agree though, but I don't think it will always affect others.

Tron 2.0

Red_Man said:
Or be bigoted towards others life choices.
Yes. That's probably a better way of putting it.

Air said:
Fixed. I understand what you mean, and generally agree though, but I don't think it will always affect others.
I don't know how it possibly couldn't, but to varying degrees.

Air said:
Thank you for spotting that.

My parents who are Christians in the most vague sense possible since I think they merely like the idea of a heaven, are an example of that.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pastry said:
I think the better question for this thread is who the historical Jesus really was.

I think Jesus was a talented gay street magician, who got a lot of shit off people and tried to educate them, and had a dislike of authority.

Air

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
Yes. That's probably a better way of putting it.

I don't know how it possibly couldn't, but to varying degrees.

Well it only affects people when you act on it. Some beliefs can simply stay in one's head, and that person may never act on it; but you seem to get what I was saying, so its cool.

StuBurns

Banned
It's a little off topic, but I just want to recommend everyone watch The Man From Earth for some interesting Jesus stuff.

cheststrongwell said:
I like how that chart says Jesus was born on Dec. 25th. Lol.

Or you can take it as the date his birth is celebrated on. The fact that it is celebrated during a period which historically was used to celebrate a pagan solstice probably adds to the intrigue into the origins of Christian customs.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Meus Renaissance said:
Or you can take it as the date his birth is celebrated on. The fact that it is celebrated during a period which historically was used to celebrate a pagan solstice probably adds to the intrigue.

That still wouldn't work for the point that chart is trying to make. Just about everything on the Horus line is bullshit.

Yeah, having just finished Hero with 1000 faces it's clear that the Jesus origin story is just another virgin giving birth to the son, the son to know and become one (through death) with the father (himself).

Don't forget that Jesus resisted temptation from the devil while isolated in the desert, the Gautama Buddha resisted temptation from the devil while isolated under the Bodh tree

Just like Moses in the reeds is a replication of many many stories, including Sargon of Akkad, Abraham, Buddha, etc.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Tron 2.0 said:

You must really hate politicians that you didn't vote for.

Qwomo

Meus Renaissance said:
Or you can take it as the date his birth is celebrated on. The fact that it is celebrated during a period which historically was used to celebrate a pagan solstice probably adds to the intrigue into the origins of Christian customs.
What? How does it "add to the intrigue"?

pestul

DECK'ARD said:
I think Jesus was a talented gay street magician, who got a lot of shit off people and tried to educate them, and had a dislike of authority.
God I would love for them to find irrefutable historical evidence of this.. for the epic meltdowns and lulz.

Tron 2.0

ReBurn said:
You must really hate politicians that you didn't vote for.
I genuinely hate very few people, but is it frustrating for me when someone votes against gay marriage because Jesus told them to? Yes. Yes it is.

Qwomo said:
Because like many other things about the Jesus myth it was co-opted from another belief system and grafted onto Christianity.

AlexMogil

Alpha-Bromega said:
is where and by what means he died really relevant?

Well, if it is specifically pointed out on a comparative chart to link different religions figureheads together, then... yeah it is relevant. And he wasn't born December 25th.

For that matter neither was Jesus.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
jdogmoney said:
I wonder why the wall of text Christians never post in threads like these.

What in this thread would threaten a Christian? Vague similarities between myths isn't something to be threatened by. I see that list and similar lists posted in discussions like this all the time. I love how people take it at face value.

Qwomo said:
I don't know about that but what it does do is make it easier to sell to a populous, tell them to celebrate the same way the same point of the year but to a different God and it will be a easier conversion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_polytheism#Christianisation

People forget the Christianity was a late comer to the party, it had to be forcefully spread through the world.

MC Safety

Tron 2.0 said:
I genuinely hate very few people, but is it frustrating for me when someone votes against gay marriage because Jesus told them to? Yes. Yes it is.

Because like many other things about the Jesus myth it was co-opted from another belief system and grafted onto Christianity.

I believe the anti-homosexuality parts of the Bible appear in Deuteronomy, not the New Testament. But I am years away from the biblical and classical literature course I took in college.

AlexMogil

Additionally not a single deity was marked by heralding of angles. That chart is wrong.

I would say a manger would have some pretty interesting angles, though.

Qwomo

Tron 2.0 said:
If you think evidence of syncretism in Christianity debases the religion as a whole, then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what religion is.

Orayn

ReBurn said:
Some of those other people want to uphold their own bigotry by force of law and teach mythology in science class. I won't stand for any of that.

pestul

AlexMogil said:
Additionally not a single deity was marked by heralding of angles. That chart is wrong.

I would say a manger would have some pretty interesting angles, though.
My wife makes that mistake all the time.

Qwomo said:
If you think evidence of syncretism in Christianity debases the religion as a whole, then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what religion is.

the theological, not social, aspects are delegitimated

ReBurn

Gold Member
MC Safety said:
I believe the anti-homosexuality parts of the Bible appear in Deuteronomy, not the New Testament. But I am years away from the biblical and classical literature course I took in college.
This is what I was thinking. The teachings of Jesus never condemned homosexuality. They did condemn hypocrisy. And people who make blanket judgments of Christians and their beliefs because they believe that all Christians are trying to judge them are full of the latter. Maybe that's what really ticks them off.

Orayn said:
Some of those other people want to uphold their own bigotry by force of law and teach mythology in science class. I won't stand for any of that.
Some is the operative word. Some atheists are just as far off of their rockers, too.

Live and let live I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom