• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question for Vaio owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

john tv

So I'm thinking of buying a Vaio laptop soon...

One thing I'm wondering, though, is if Sony makes it difficult to wipe out all the bullshit preinstalled software they throw on there, or if it's easy enough to just wipe it clean and start fresh (should I decide that I want to). Is it easy to find drivers and stuff on the net, or are you pretty much forced to use their install disc no matter what?

Any info would be great. Thanks!

segasonic

there's a backup partition with all the stuff that comes with the notebook, once you have burned it's content to a DVD-R you can repartition the HDD and install whatever you want.

Or re-install but without the backup partition that only wastes space...(7 Gig iirc)

john tv said:
So I'm thinking of buying a Vaio laptop soon...

One thing I'm wondering, though, is if Sony makes it difficult to wipe out all the bullshit preinstalled software they throw on there, or if it's easy enough to just wipe it clean and start fresh (should I decide that I want to). Is it easy to find drivers and stuff on the net, or are you pretty much forced to use their install disc no matter what?

Any info would be great. Thanks!

Sony seems to have a decent driver page for the computers, if you want to install a fresh copy of WIndows.

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-p-n.pl

LaneMeyer

im curious why youre looking at a VAIO? why pay the premium for a sony over a dell? (not trying to start shit, just curious)

john tv

Just a consumer whore, is all. I live in Japan, we're allowed to be like that here. :)

Glad to hear it won't be hard to wipe it clean if need be. I hate when PC manufacturers force you to use all their crappy software.

HooDoo

LaneMeyer said:
im curious why youre looking at a VAIO? why pay the premium for a sony over a dell? (not trying to start shit, just curious)

I'd say the screen.
As far as I'm concerned that was the main reason to buy a Sony product instead of something else, as good but cheaper. The overall design is sexy too.

But man, the 16/10 X-black screen is so great I'm happy Sony took all of my money. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom