• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R&B is coming back strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
or is it just me?

For the past few years, R&B was pretty much dominated by Trey Songz, Ne-Yo, and Usher. Their output has been pretty average to just bad as well. Trey Songz just comes off as too much as a low budget R. Kelly to me. Ne-Yo can make great singles without a doubt, but his last two albums I thought had pretty bad singles and his albums weren't good either. Not to mention Ne-Yo has the nerve to accuse other R&B singers for selling out to Europop when his singles does the exact same thing. Then, there's Usher who just makes forgettable stuff in the past few years as well, but of course he still sells.

R&B just felt like it was stagnant, like there was no one shaking up the game really and forcing other singers to step it up. There's definitely The Dream who makes really really great albums, but for whatever reason his albums don't really catch everyone's attention.

Now all of a sudden this year it seems like people have really started to try harder with their music. I think this is the best year R&B has had in a long time and who do I believe I need to thank for it? Frank Ocean and The Weeknd.

Both artist dropped free albums last year that caught a lot of singers' attention and the production of their material was pretty different. Frank Ocean didn't have the most original production, but in comparison to what R&B was sounding like for the past few years, it made his stuff sound really fresh. Not to mention dude is a great songwriting and has some great lyrics. You can say the exact same thing with The Weeknd but I'd say his production was way much more original and out of the box. While The Weeknd's songwriting wasn't all that great during House of Balloons, I believe he improved quickly by the time Echoes of Silence came out. It showed that he might has what it takes to be a great(Although I absolutely love EoS).

Now maybe I am jumping the gun a bit with that and feel free to disagree with me, but I do believe they played a big part in making others' step up their game.

So here we are in 2013 the R&B albums/mixtapes that I've enjoyed.

Jeremih - Late Nights With Jeremih
MfABu.jpg

This was quite a surprise from me. He kind of channels chocolate factory era R. Kelly so expect this to have a bit of a party vibe to it though not as smooth or catchy
Sample Track
This is a free mixtape/album so feel free just to get it here and post what you think

Arima Ederra – Earth To Arima
oXmS2.jpg

Really if you are into Erykah Badu and Lauren Hill then you should definitely check this out. Has a really chill vibe to it.
Sample Track
This is also a free mixtape/album so again feel free to just get it here and post what you think.

Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream
WC4Bc.jpg

Probably surprise of the year for me. I always thought Miguel made catchy music, but I often found him to be a bit too cheesy for me. I think he found a great balance on this album though.
Sample Track

Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE
uACR1.jpg

Great album. It definitely seems to be a love/hate type of thing. It's a very mellow album and the production doesn't stand out as much which wouldn't be a bad thing if Frank Ocean actually put his all into singing like he does on songs like Bad Religion, but regardless it's an album I think any R&B fan should check it.
Sample Track

Elle Varner - Perfectly Imperfect
CmL0a.jpg

Don't let Refill fool you into believing this chick can't sing. She truly has a beautiful voice and the point of Refill is for her voice to sound like she is pain.
Sample Track

Usher - Looking 4 Myself
RoB6g.jpg

This is without a doubt Usher's strongest album in who knows how the fuck long. Some pretty interesting electronic production too. Works really a lot better than I expected.
Sample Track

There are definitely even more stuff this year that makes me feel this way, but I feel it'd be cool if others posted R&B albums they've really enjoyed this year or I'd just make separate posts with other albums.

2013 is sounding like it could be a great year as well. D'angelo is said to drop an album sometime soon and while I still cannot get into VooDoo, I can't help but get excited. I figure The Weeknd will drop an album that year too since he didn't drop anything this year but a re-release.

There's also this singer I found called Kat Dhalia that is signed to Epic Records that might drop an album in 2013. She has an incredible voice too, check out her single. I love it a lot.

Feel free to disagree!

yeah, i've noticed a sort of resurgence recently. after the cockiness of trey songz (mr. steal yo girl? really? and girls eat that shit up? no wonder there are no ladies left, only sluts)

miguel and the weekend are good, as is frank ocean. i'd prefer they stop calling women bitches and stop "singing" about drugs, but whatever. it's way better than the lame ass drake and his horrible offkey shit.

Rochelle Jordan – P R E S S U R E
pressurecover.jpg

She is pretty much channeling Aaliyah throughout this whole album. It's pretty damn great too, another Toronto R&B artist. She'll be going on tour with Jessie Ware. Oh and it's free too.
Link to album.

yeah, i've noticed a sort of resurgence recently. after the cockiness of trey songz (mr. steal yo girl? really? and girls eat that shit up? no wonder there are no ladies left, only sluts)

miguel and the weekend are good, as is frank ocean. i'd prefer they stop calling women bitches and stop "singing" about drugs, but whatever. it's way better than the lame ass drake and his horrible offkey shit.

I believe that's really only Weeknd's lane. Jeremih tape has references to drugs in it but majority of the time it is coming from featured rappers. He is pretty clean for the most part

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Elle Varner - Perfectly Imperfect
CmL0a.jpg

Don't let Refill fool you into believing this chick can't sing. She truly has a beautiful voice and the point of Refill is for her voice to sound like she is pain.
Sample Track
I dig the groove and the "message" or lack thereof is a little refreshing. She's not trying to reassure us that we're all beautiful, she's just bitter and pissed as fuck. Not unabashedly happy, but neither is life. Thanks for the link.

OG Kush

What yall know bout THIS:
0000059708_500.jpg

some of that british garage rnb. Craig David was and still is the shit, but his first album goes.

Where's Phlo Finister and Wynter Gordon : P

There are definitely even more stuff this year that makes me feel this way, but I feel it'd be cool if others posted R&B albums they've really enjoyed this year or I'd just make separate posts with other albums.
! Thought it would be boring if I just named all the good stuff this one within the first post. So post her stuff bro

Here is the Tineshe tape that people are referring to

uufC2.jpg

Free album and I agree it's great.
Someone posted this in GAF-Hop and this was a really pleasant surprise, I pretty much like everything on there.

http://www.datpiff.com/Elijah-Blake-Bijoux-22-EP-mixtape.429180.html

I don't know how to explain the sound really, R&B usually isn't my thing. Kind of reminds me of Cocaine80s with a lot of doubling of the voices, etc.
makes sense to me. I believe he is signed under No ID label.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I second that. R&B needs more love again. But with Drake changing the game of mainstream music, labels are not to keen on a full R&B artist, and is a damn shame. When was the last time we had a solid boy or girl R&B act? Too long I say.

Co-sign.

Everybody has to be a jack of all trades, nowadays. I really miss the ones that specialized in their lanes genres. *sigh*

Listening to Rochelle Jordan now. This is good. Someone needs to make a wrap-up for R&B, for this past year...

Co-sign.

Everybody has to be a jack of all trades, nowadays. I really miss the ones that specialized in their lanes genres. *sigh*

Listening to Rochelle Jordan now. This is good. Someone needs to make a wrap-up for R&B, for this past year...

Do not HiRes me, that's basically what this thread is...everything here is a 2012 release.
also since you mentioned Elle Varner then I feel this is relevant

yeah, that surprised the fuck out of me.

Thanks for this thread. I love Elle Varner's album, and I've been meaning to check out Miguel's album since stumbling upon it on Songza. Will have to check it out.

I'll have to dig through my Rdio collection and share some of the music I've found this year.

royalan

Thanks for this thread! I'm going to have to check out some of these albums.

I've been stanning Miguel's album HARD lately.

Elle Varner's album is amazing as well...Although I don't get the Refill criticism. Her voice is just as lovely on that track as all the others. I love her raspy, swag-filled tone. Reminds me of an old-style Jazz lounge singer.

Thanks for this thread! I'm going to have to check out some of these albums.

I've been stanning Miguel's album HARD lately.

Elle Varner's album is amazing as well...Although I don't get the Refill criticism. Her voice is just as lovely on that track as all the others. I love her raspy, swag-filled tone. Reminds me of an old-style Jazz lounge singer.

That's not personally my criticism. I love the song, but I've actually heard that complaint from friends so I figured I'd add that tidbit

Nibel

Some great stuff in this thread already, but we all know who will sit on the throne next year after his debut album will drop

kKuQI.jpg

Oldschoolgamer

July 5th - Breakfast in Paris: It's not the strongest release I've heard this year, but I fuck with it, especially this: Take A Picture

David Stewart - Late Night Viewing: Lay On The Bonnet is my shit. Dunno if this counts as pop or not. The subject matter works for me either way.

royalan

Some great stuff in this thread already, but we all know who will sit on the throne next year after his debut album will drop

kKuQI.jpg

Eh, good but overrated.

As far as the men go, I think Miguel definitely brought it with KD.

Will, be checking for his debut, though.

And well already know Elle's got it on lock for the ladies.

Trey

+1 Elle Varner and Tinashe

Perfectly Imperfect and Reverie are in my top 5 overall this year. Spectacular.

MIMIC

Banned
The R&B side of me hasn't been feeling Usher since Confessions :-/ He has had some decent songs but....most of them are way too Pop. The Pop side of me is loving it, though. lol I don't think my urban radio station even plays Usher anymore.

Also, I've been liking what I've been hearing from Miguel (from the radio). Don't have his album yet.

Oldschoolgamer

What's the consensus on Brandy's album? I haven't listened to her or Alicia Keys' album yet.

Listening to JoJo's mixtape, "Agape." She crosses between pop and R&B at will. The tape is...okay? Nothing really grabs my attention, the way some of these other tapes do. Never-the-less, it's not bad. "I hot boxxed my room just to write this song."

What's the consensus on Brandy's album? I haven't listened to her or Alicia Keys' album yet.

Listening to JoJo's mixtape, "Agape." She crosses between pop and R&B at will. The tape is...okay? Nothing really grabs my attention, the way some of these other tapes do. Never-the-less, it's not bad. "I hot boxxed my room just to write this song."

Haven't listened to Brandy's yet, but Alicia Keys' album is decent. Nothing really mindblowing, not that it needs to be or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom