• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.Mika's Critical Art is censored in the latest build of SF5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The framing is completely different. That "you were the sexist all along" bullshit never works.

They're much more equal now in terms of "funny" vs "yet another sexualized woman in a videogame."

The framing is different because one is a critical art (a super) and other is just a taunt. Critical arts zoom in on the character.

Rocwell

It was fine before, it's fine now. They could have found a balance and taken a wider camera angle that didn't exclusively focus on her buttocks but whatever, I guess. v( '-')v

Also her boobs are deformed in a weird way on the ko freeze lol

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's funny in the same manner. You are the one who wants to see them different (also, they're different games). Maybe you should think about it.
I mean not even mentioning the serious different intents behind the costume design i'm the one looking too into it.

『Inaba Resident』;184610153 said:
Both are pretty funny to me.
One has a more dynamic camera because it's a CA. The other is a mid game taunt.
I'm pretty sure that if Dan had a CA that involved slapping his butt, the camera would probably focus on it as well.
Point is that Dan would most likely not have a CA that involves a close up on his butt as it jiggles in the first place. Not to mention again, you absolutely would not have a legion of people declaring "censorship!1!!" if they did and then changed it during the development of the game.

The framing is different because one is a critical art (a super) and other is just a taunt. Critical arts zoom in on the character.
Read the above.

Puruzi

Banned
Woman
Ktn6GvQ.gif

Man
dancxk7v.gif

The framing is completely different. That "you were the sexist all along" bullshit never works.

They're much more equal now in terms of "funny" vs "yet another sexualized woman in a videogame."
one's a special and one isn't

the framing will obv be different

Tenebrous

*Snip* Don't need the pics.

Mika's is probably funnier to me. It's that same OTT sense of humour that helped hook me on Bayonetta - It's all just so dumb, and that's swell.

Giever

This is a fairly trivial thing to be arguing about since I don't actively disagree with the things you've pointed out. So I'll just explain my point of view and move on.

The "controversy" part was to the thread at large, since many assume Capcom changed the camera angle due to outsized complaints and commentary. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Follow the conversation.

I had followed the conversation, and I know that there are people suggesting that Capcom changed it (if they even purposefully changed it) in response to an outcry (which did not likely exist to any extent that would have caused such a change).

It's confusing when you reply directly to an individual with a point that is intended as a response to a general sentiment in the thread (especially when the individual you reply to isn't explicitly expressing that sentiment).

Note the bolded in Free's reply. Kusagari's assertion is not that there were simply complaints. It's that there were enough complaints to cause Capcom to change direction. I disagreed. The complaints were certainly not large enough in number and otherwise, fans are allowed to say they dislike something.

Just because freeofgreed brought up that people think that doesn't mean the next person to point out the facts of the matter (that there were complaints) is implicated as having that same sentiment.

First of all, Kusaragi wasn't even part of that conversation until the very end, and all he or she did was provide pertinent information to someone's query. That's my issue, because (and I am being absolutely sincere here) I very often will freely provide relevant facts to people asking about them even when I have no stake in an argument. It's just something I find helpful, and I prefer it when people can be corrected if they're spouting off misinformation.

So when I see someone just say "yeah, X was happening" and nothing else, I don't presume a whole bunch of other shit about them. That's why I found your response to them irrelevant (and also kind of accusatory), especially when you consider that there were probably a dozen other posts that were explicitly saying the kinds of things that you wanted to respond to.

Again, the general assertion is that there were an outsized number of complaints leading to this change. Hence me bringing up "controversy". We're certainly not seeing that in any larger way in relation to R.Mika.

Again, I don't disagree with you. Just found it frustratingly presumptuous. Anyway, it's a silly thing to argue over when we essentially agree on the real point you're trying to make: that there wasn't any real controversy, that it is very unlikely that any complaints influenced Capcom's decision, and that it's their decision to make anyway. I agree with all of that. So I'm dropping it and movin' on.

Eolz

Woman
Ktn6GvQ.gif

Man
dancxk7v.gif

Now put both gifs at the same speed, would be more interesting to see how long buttslaps actually stay on screen (instead of slowmo for Mika and sped-up for Dan).
And again, as others said, if there was an ultra with Dan/Zangief/whoever slapping his ass for it to be self-censored later, people wouldn't be happy as well. edit: just look at all those people wanting Urien and his thong.

poodaddy

wtf are you even going on about?

stop comparing your real life job to a fictional ass universe...

the fuck?

Wtf are you going on about?

Stop getting so mad about someone having a different view of what constitutes as exploitation and overt sexism than you...

The fuck?

See I can make short pointless angry tirades on the internet exclaiming my dissatisfaction with other peoples views of a video game too. We did it! High five to us.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
RIP awesome booty special move.

2015-2015

You were so young and so full of booty.

larrydavidfallingdown.gif

Someone wake me up when this agony I feel subsides.

Point is that Dan would most likely not have a CA that involves a close up on his butt as it jiggles in the first place. Not to mention again, you absolutely would not have a legion of people declaring "censorship!1!!" if they did and then changed it during the development of the game.

Why not? Dan already has more than one taunt that involves his butt and taunting is literally his whole thing.
It's not hard to believe that Dan would have a CA that involves taunting with his butt.
Both butt slaps are played up for comedy. In fact, all of Mika's CA is played up for comedy with how over the top it is.
And yeah, people would be upset. People don't like it when you remove stuff they like.

We can all agree this was a fantastic move on Capcom's part.

Now they just need to cover the ridiculous exposure and tone down the obscene jiggle and she will be perfect.

GavinUK86

I've never followed Street Fighter so forgive me, but why is she even dressed that ridiculous in the first place?

Bold One

It's terrible, anything that could potentially hurt anyone's feelings is "toxic" or "problematic" now.

People need to raise children with thicker skin, and people need to stop looking for things to be offended about for attention

Gaf is basically tumblr lite when it comes to these sort of issues, there is no middle ground, if you aint with the righteous indignation crowd, prepared to be lumped in with what ever pejorative 'ist' of the day they've deemed to be the enemy.

I think they mean well, but right now what we have is a loud echo-chamber of thin-skinned, emotionally fragile whiners

Ivan 3414

I'm pretty sure the important distinction between Dan and R. Mika's butt slap is that R. Mika is slapping bare skin. That's what likely got it censored.

I don't think a male character slapping his bare ass would be left uncensored either.

Mik317

Wtf are you going on about?

Stop getting so mad about someone having a different view of what constitutes as exploitation and overt sexism than you...

The fuck?

See I can make short pointless angry tirades on the internet exclaiming my dissatisfaction with other peoples views of a video game too. We did it! High five to us.

I don't get what the hell you are arguing. The guy said that there is a difference between balls in the face and swinging around and smacking your own ass (as a taunt)...you took it and ran to "WELL ID GET FIRED IF I DID THAT AT MY JOB" like that even matters.

Gbraga

I've never followed Street Fighter so forgive me, but why is she even dressed that ridiculous in the first place?

Because whoever designed her back in 98 or whatever thought it would be cool, and then whoever redesigned her in 2015 thought they should keep her similar to the original.

Not a fan of her design either, didn't understand why people cared about her until I saw some gameplay in SF V, and playing her in the beta confirmed it. Fun as all hell.

I'll still probably use an alt costume though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You jump from an argument to another. You're sexist, accept it.
So far all you have presented in this thread are incredibly disingenuous arguments, and now you're blatantly insulting me. I'm sexist for seeing the very different intent between a character like R.Mika and a character like Dan right down the framing when their both doing similar actions? Really? That's the argument you're presenting right now?

『Inaba Resident』;184610606 said:
Why not? Dan already has more than one taunt that involves his butt and taunting is literally his whole thing.
It's not hard to believe that Dan would have a CA that involves taunting with his butt.
It's not, and I'd love to see it, but we don't have an example of that. Actually, is it only female characters who have physics on their butts? And no, they most certainly would not be saying shit like some of the posts in this thread. "Feminists ruin everything" would most likely not be an argument presented, come on now.

Just because freeofgreed brought up that people think that doesn't mean the next person to point out the facts of the matter (that there were complaints) is implicated as having that same sentiment.

So when I see someone just say "yeah, X was happening" and nothing else, I don't presume a whole bunch of other shit about them. That's why I found your response to them irrelevant (and also kind of accusatory), especially when you consider that there were probably a dozen other posts that were explicitly saying the kinds of things that you wanted to respond to.

You are probably correct on this. I added my own spin on it based on Kusaragi's answer to Free.

Just found it frustratingly presumptuous. Anyway, it's a silly thing to argue over when we essentially agree on the real point you're trying to make: that there wasn't any real controversy, that it is very unlikely that any complaints influenced Capcom's decision, and that it's their decision to make anyway. I agree with all of that. So I'm dropping it and movin' on.

No worries. You've done a good job of being reasonable about it and as I said above, you're probably right that I added potentially-baseless conjecture to Kusaragi's statements.

Glad to see more and more posters calling out the "Outrage/PC culture" nonsense, always embarrassing to see.

Similarly it's always hilarious to see people blame America and how puritanical we are, in the context of Japanese media and censorship.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

She's supposed to be a Japanese female wrestler and it seems like they don't wear much clothes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jap...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMInoLLs-b_yAIVA9kmCh1mhwr1

But I assume it's mostly because the Japanese character design process goes something like this.

"Make it as cool as possible, fuck reality"

[edit]

I just remembered, pretty sure there's a wrestler who hits people with her butt like R.Mika. I remember seeing some gifs of that floating around the SFV threads when she first got announced.

Gaf is basically tumblr lite when it comes to these sort of issues, there is no middle ground, if you aint with the righteous indignation crowd, prepared to be lumped in with what ever pejorative 'ist' of the day they've deemed to be the enemy.

I think they mean well, but right now what we have is a loud echo-chamber of thin-skinned, emotionally fragile whiners

Nothing compares to the whining of the wounded when a camera angle gets changed or a costume gets tweaked.

Vex_

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if the next senran kagura and doax don't come out ever in the west at this point. Funny how SK estival currently has no release date as well.

Hmmmm...

Outside of Project M, i'm not a fighting game person, but this seems like a good thing to me.

That entire things looks like hot trash and needlessly sexual.

Prove it.

Puruzi

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if the next senran kagura don't come out ever in the west at this point. Funny how SK estival currently has no release date as well.

Hmmmm...

Nah, Xseed knows what's up, they'd never do us dirty

please xseed remain based ;-;

Lime

Is this the anti-feminist therapy thread or something? I see a whole lot of anger, but I don't know who ever deserved it because there has been almost zero backlash against that ass that I am aware of

Or are most posts just poe's law taken to the extreme?

I wouldn't be surprised if the next senran kagura and doax don't come out ever in the west at this point. Funny how SK estival currently has no release date as well.

Hmmmm...
Yooo it was supposed to be out this year was it not?! Don't tell me they quietly axed it. Damn the west is so sensitive their boobs and butts. I say ban mortal kombat and gta but aye what do i know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom