• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.Mika's Critical Art is censored in the latest build of SF5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlo

The Cammy change is pretty obvious.... don't actually mind it to be honest (dat thigh!), preferred her SFIV intro anyway as far as fan service went.... was also quicker whereas her SFV one was longer and something I would've skipped most of the time.

In the past, changes like this would've gone unnoticed because we wouldn't have been in beta. The publisher wouldn't be able to patch in changes. We're at a point now where a developer can decide to change things weeks before or years after release. And since viewpoints can evolve, things can change. Random example: What a paladin is in WoW has varied wildly since vanilla, because Blizzard viewpoint has changed. Sometimes they've moved in line with certain fan feedback, other time they went their own way. That's their right with the product.
Yeah I didn't disagree with this. You don't need to restate it every post. It's obviously their right, no one is going down to Capcom HQ with guns or trying to file a court order, we obviously know they are allowed to do this.

I just think most of the time it's "what will cause us to be given less shit" and that kind of development can lead to bad choices. Not that these are choices that are really bad or good because they're super subjective and come down to a personal opinion of if fan service shots are horrible or okay.

I mean, that's the odd thing about cries of censorship. The T&A is still there. It didn't go anywhere.

Just these seemingly trivial changes look like it might add up to a death of a thousand cuts to people, is all. I can understand the Cammy change a lot more than the Mika change, but I really don't have an issue with the game being a little servicey.

Many of the responses have clearly not been tongue in cheek. A number see this as an alarming trend coming to take their games from them.
We can't know the intent of the developer but we can know the intent of every poster in this thread, nice.

edit: You wanna go quote that guy who said the sexist shit and immediately got banned to back yourself up?

If only. Your's seem though for some odd reason.

You said it sucks. You don't think it sucks?

The reason I am upset is when people drop the PC boogeyman when things they personally don't like happen. It's a reductive way for you to justify your own feelings and dismiss the feelings of others. It has no bearing on Capcom's decisions on how they can make the best game that will get them the most return on their investment.

KarmaCow

We can't know the intent of the developer but we can know the intent of every poster in this thread, nice.

edit: You wanna go quote that guy who said the sexist shit and immediately got banned to back yourself up?

It's a little more reasonable to take what people say at face value vs trying to ascribe motivations to an unannounced camera pan change.

Vex_

Banned
Chun Li is going to be next.
bryant4_original.gif

Your waifu is being a good waifu by not slapping her ass and zooming in on her crotch for just anybody.

She will only do these things for you if you truly love her and then close your eyes and imagine it.

True love is being patient with your waifu and waiting until she's ready to slap her butt for you.

Mik317

game isn't shameless as fuck any more and nerds complaining because they cant jerk off to it anymore lol

Useless comments like this are a big reason these thread are as toxic as they are.

come on man, the insults and stupid generalizations add nothing to it.

I don't know why it always goes to the nerds jerking off to it point...people can like things and not diddle themselves to it you know.

This also just leads to the stupid back and forth. So please stop it.

Just as soon as the "lol its censorship!!!" folks can get a grip.

I mean do you guys really feel like grammar policing over that has some intrinsic value? The only even semi-valid thing I saw is that it undermines the importance of the word, but it's certainly not a misuse common to gaming forums at all, so I feel that falls a little flat. It just seems more like a meme for people to throw back and forth at this point.

Manu

Your waifu is being a good waifu by not slapping her ass and zooming in on her crotch for just anybody.

She will only do these things for you if you truly love her and then close your eyes and imagine it.

True love is being patient with your waifu and waiting until she's ready to slap her butt for you.

image.php

I just think most of the time it's "what will cause us to be given less shit" and that kind of development can lead to bad choices. Not that these are choices that are really bad or good because they're super subjective and come down to a personal opinion of if fan service shots are horrible or okay.

Pretty much.

Just these seemingly trivial changes look like it might add up to a death of a thousand cuts to people, is all. I can understand the Cammy change a lot more than the Mika change, but I really don't have an issue with the game being a little servicey.

They're just such odd changes. The camera angles shifted a bit. The characters are as buxom as ever. Nothing changed there. It seems a bit much for the anger and cries of censorship.

I'm just taking what I'm reading at face value. Your honest estimation is everyone is enjoying a good ribbing?

HEY EVERYONE! If you've posted about being angry at the changes: Are you serious that you believe the camera angle changes are a legitimate problem that make you angry or worried about censorship, or is this just some humor on your part?

S2Hxyjl.png

Would everyone be more down with this if we called it self-censorship by the way?

You can call it self-censorship if you are also willing to call the other thousands of decisions that go into developing a game self-censorship. There are dozens of voices on that design team and they all have different opinions on Art, Design, and Gameplay. In the process of hashing things out, countless ideas are left behind. That's how you make things.

It's a little more reasonable to take what people say at face value vs trying to ascribe motivations to an unannounced camera pan change.

Oh come on, I saw a person get called out for having an H-Game avatar because their avatar is Saber. Another person responded seriously to the R. Mika Burka picture was "another disingenuous argument". I'd say most people don't want to see the change, aren't particularly mad about it, but are make jokes for fun.

ChouGoku

How is stuff changing before a game releases censorship? Are unused backgrounds and unplayable partially done characters censorship too?

Vex_

Banned
How is it censorship when the dev is doing it willingly?

Source? You sure this dev who animated da booty turned around and all of a sudden said, "hey lets completely hide all the work I did animating dat booty"?

Or was it a higher up under pressure, or something else? Source? Info? Pls?

The butt slap was fun and all but can we talk about how Cammy's intro doesn't look nearly as cool now? There was a sense of motion and action to the old angle, but now it just feels like she's awkwardly sliding into the scene.

Puruzi

Banned
Source? You sure this dev who animated da booty turned around and all of a sudden said, "hey lets completely hide all the work I did animating dat booty"?

Right? I pretty much posted the same thing.

It makes no sense to think that an animator who animated that ass, and added jiggle to it would suddenly just want to remove it. This was clearly done to appease someone, to think otherwise is nonsense.

Substantiate your own claims first.

kurahador

Only if they give her pants, you should still be able to see everything they are trying to cover with intro change. Zangief's critical art also gives a giant crotch shot.

Cammy and Zangief legs are bigger than that dude who wore pants, it's enough to obscure the crotch shot.

I'm just taking what I'm reading at face value. Your honest estimation is everyone is enjoying a good ribbing?
Haha yeah, the majority of people are probably not happy with the change and having a laugh. There are plenty of posts like that, like mine for example. There are some people who are legitimately mad about it.

HEY EVERYONE! If you've posted about being angry at the changes: Are you serious that you believe the camera angle changes are a legitimate problem that make you angry or worried about censorship, or is this just some humor on your part?
God, fucking look at you. Why did I even try?

RM8

It makes no sense to think that an animator who animated that ass, and added jiggle to it would suddenly just want to remove it. This was clearly done to appease someone, to think otherwise is nonsense.
Who knows, stuff gets discarded all the time during development. Including entire soundtracks, levels, game mechanics, characters, etc.

https://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor

Exodust

Banned
Hate to have too much of that in Street Fighter right? I'm of the opinion that it was just a technical change and it probably will make it back in because it's more stylish for her to slap her ass.

Nah, I like silliness in Street Fighter. But since we're making assumptions I'll go ahead and say the disappointment is not because Street Fighter's goofy fun nature is under attack. I think you can guess why people are actually mad about it.

Yeah, that's the point. The move fit the character.

I can agree. Like I said before it doesn't bother me whether it's in or not. I just find getting up in arms over it to be dumb.

Akibared

NTMutYN.gif

I didn't notice her true love I've failed her...

Apathy

I'm offended by muscle clad bare chested video game men who portray a unrealistic body image that is unattainable and that is sexualizing men, so can capcom go ahead and cover up zangief and ryu and urien when he gets announced.

/s

Self-censorship is still censorship.

Is any act of editing self censorship? Again, do you have any idea how many things get changes/cut in game development? It's constant triage. That's how it works.

More than one person is working on SFV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom