• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.Mika's Critical Art is censored in the latest build of SF5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGerbils

Welp, that's it guys, video games officially aren't art anymore as long as this blatant censorship of a true artist's vision is happening.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
There's a difference between a dev removing something because it doesn't fit the game and a dev removing something because they don't want to offend anyone's sensibilities.

This also didn't really get removed, they just moved the camera so you couldn't see it.

The "this is what game devs do" argument doesn't really apply here since the animation is still there.

Cloyster

Banned
All this proved to me is..we definitely aren't getting dead or alive extreme west side..*cries

Cheer up! It's getting an english release in Asia! You can always import!

MOVE OVER MIKA YOU'VE BEEN REPLACED

SpanishVagueAnkolewatusi.gif

ConcernedSereneBubblefish.gif

Nope, those posts are clearly joking. I'm talking, as I said, about the posts that represent anger at the changes. I'm taking those at face value. Nothing more, nothing less.
Yeah I just misread and thought you were talking about the majority of the thread when you were talking about people calling it 'censorship' which I guess at some point morphed into people who expressed anger. I was more talking about the thread as a whole thread but ended up making it seem like I was just referring to the subset of people who used the word conspiracy. In the end I think there's a big variance between not caring and being made and I think a lot of the people who dislike the change are closer to not caring than people are giving them credit for.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to write sorry.

PKrockin

No one does and that's why I would love Capcom to say something soon. It's just back and forth speculation and it's getting pretty silly.
If Capcom somehow actually responded and said "The pose caused an issue with clothing/clipping/physics and it was easier to change the pose" or even just "We like the new camera angle better" would the people outraged about this believe them?

Puruzi

Banned
Sometimes there is an inverse proportional relationship between how sure someone is on a subject and the amount of knowledge that they have on that subject.

What are you basing your theory on? Because it feels like paranoia.

There's a difference between a fact and a guess.

Everyone is just theorycrafting and guessing right now. I can't think of any other reason why they would suddenly want it out, so that's my guess. I'll continue to think that until we get a statement from capcom.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
stopping by the apt during a sat night bar run:

1) if you're 14 pages of concerned about r mikas digital butt on a saturday night while being single - you need to reprioritize your life ASAP

2) you can tell who here jerks off to video games and who here actually plays Street Fighter: shorter supers = better game. anyone who wants a longer CA prolly wont even buy the game or play it 1 month after launch lol

bonus protip: look up the word 'censorship' before using it

There's a difference between a fact and a guess.

Yes, and the only fact we have at this moment is that Mika's super was changed in a very haphazard way around the same time the game was rated by ESRB. Anything beyond that, on either side of this discussion, is guesswork.

This also didn't really get removed, they just moved the camera so you couldn't see it.

The "this is what game devs do" argument doesn't really apply here since the animation is still there.

I agree. If this really was a change in their vision for the game, she would have gotten a different animation.

1) if you're 14 pages of concerned about r mikas digital butt on a saturday night while being single - you need to reprioritize your life ASAP

2) you can tell who here jerks off to video games and who here actually plays Street Fighter: shorter supers = better game. anyone who wants a longer CA prolly wont even buy the game or play it 1 month after launch lol

The CA isn't any shorter. It's the same animation. The camera is just adjusted. As for the bolded part, a lot people on both sides of this argument could benefit from that.

If you are making a game and one of your devs suggests something that doesn't fit with your vision of what the game needs to be, then you fix it. And your idea of what the game needs to be is, itself, a moving target. It's far too fluid to point at a single instance and pin down what it means. When I sit down to write a poem, I will self-censor it hundreds of times. When I am working on a game my partner and I are constantly hashing things out. We are trying to make a thing that people will enjoy. We are trying to create a specific mood, a specific feel.

In this case the original decision to put the buttslap in was inherently also an act of (the dreaded) self-censorship. All of the other things that could have happened there were set aside. Every single thing in a game is the result of conscious effort. It's all intentional. Focusing on one instance and then trying to extrapolate an entire narrative when you don't know anything about what is actually going on in that studio is completely fruitless.

So self-censorship isn't even a thing? It's all just the creative method? I think now we're getting to a point where we're undermining words.

I can't believe it took this long for someone to post DOA gifs. Better late than never, though.

Also, how the hell is this thread still unlocked? :0

Spman2099

If Capcom somehow actually responded and said "The pose caused an issue with clothing/clipping/physics and it was easier to change the pose" or even just "We like the new camera angle better" would the people outraged about this believe them?

Nope. Because, let's be honest, it would be BS.

As is, it is minor enough that they can just ignore it and in a week or so people will have moved on (with the occasional grumble here and there).

That being said, just reverting it would probably be a good move.

Puruzi

Banned

These kinds of posts aren't necessary, and the super isn't any shorter.

They'd all say that Capcom was lying, there is no way out of their waifu world.

Tripon

Man, winning by timer scam is just as legit as any other win.

woah man epic bro high five

Yeah I just misread and thought you were talking about the majority of the thread when you were talking about people calling it 'censorship' which I guess at some point morphed into people who expressed anger. I was more talking about the thread as a whole thread but ended up making it seem like I was just referring to the subset of people who used the word conspiracy. In the end I think there's a big variance between not caring and being made and I think a lot of the people who dislike the change are closer to not caring than people are giving them credit for.

Yeah, it just seems like we entered into this back-and-forth with some misunderstandings and there was a bit of drift as well. It can happen. I wasn't trying to get your dander up or anger you. I apologize if that happened.

Some dislike the change. That's cool. I'm down with that, as I believe people should make their voices heard. Like so:

1. I don't believe they changed it because of complaints. I don't recall almost any complaints about this in particular.
2. If they did change it because of complaints, people have the right to complain, and they have the right to change it.

My guess is that it is more likely related to ratings, or to the image they felt the game was projecting, rather than complaints about the butt slap. Like they went after this, even though it is pointless to do so, because it is easier than making a substantial change to the design.

Having said that, people have the right to complain about this apparent change too, and I'm going to. It is misguided. I have problems with Mika's outfit and the CA itself, but I had no problem with the butt slap. If anything, the slap was necessary to put the rest into proper context. Without it, and especially by seeming to censor it, the tenuous value of the rest of the design is made to seem more, rather than less, exploitative. The slap is effective at expressing personality... the extremity of the revealing outfit, by itself, is not imo. If you "censor" the slap, why have that outfit? And if the slap is vulgar (which I wouldn't have thought before), doesn't the outfit have to be as well?

qR1cLn4.gif

Some are joking about it, while also wanting it changed back. That rocks too. I was referring to those who seem legitimately angry at these changes.

Cloyster

Banned

to be fair.

it's like 3 AM here.

...that isn't any better huh

RM8

Yes, and the only fact we have at this moment is that Mika's super was changed in a very haphazard way around the same time the game was rated by ESRB.
Then how come it was done to "not offend" people? It was in order to keep a rating. And if it was because of the ESRB indeed, then it's definitely not coming back.

Everyone is just theorycrafting and guessing right now. I can't think of any other reason why they would suddenly want it out, so that's my guess. I'll continue to think that until we get a statement from capcom.

You seem quite certain for theory crafting. I doubt we ever get a statement from Capcom and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Camera moves back to show more of the slap. This is all in flux. People are ascribing malice to something that could be a simple camera bug.

My main point is that the people actually working on the game are going to make the best version of the game that they can make. People who have a problem with this or anything else, will have plenty of time to decide whether or not they want to buy the game when it's in its shipping state.

Mik317

to the people going "the game changes a lot when its being made", I think most people get that.

Normally we don't see many of the changes but with how SFV is being made, we are and thus in a sense are apart of the process...and some don't agree with the changes and are complaining about it. Its Capcom's game so they can do whatever they want with it...but people still can voice their opinions in hopes of being heard. More so since it apparently has an effect now.

kurahador

Then how come it was done to "not offend" people? It was in order to keep a rating. And if it was because of the ESRB indeed, then it's definitely not coming back.

Considering Senran Kagura Burst managed gets a T rating, this screams self-censorship to me.

Yeah, it just seems like we entered into this back-and-forth with some misunderstandings and there was a bit of drift as well. It can happen. I wasn't trying to get your dander up or anger you. I apologize if that happened.

Some dislike the change. That's cool. I'm down with that, as I believe people should make their voices heard.
Yeah I'm sorry too, I edited that in and I really do mean it. I think the real issue with these things is that they fall into a divisive back and forth that just ends up with people screaming at one another over nothing, as I was previously doing.

Exodust

Banned
I can take or leave the Cammy crotch shot, but the Mika butt slap gives a sense of levity to the character. Then before I know it Vega doesn't lick his claws anymore!?

Mighty fine way to describe popping a boner.

It's just a butt slap, Mika will be Mika regardless. It's just funny that people who don't even play Street Fighter, haven't cared about it before, probably didn't know who Mika was till she had a reveal trailer with butts and boobs all over are coming in to voice their displeasure of censorship. And how a few small frames of butt being removed is detrimental to her character.

Please, it doesn't matter. Fanservice doesn't matter at all whether it's there or not. Getting up in arms over it getting cut shows strange priorities.

Removing things in a haphazard attempt to lower your games rating is pretty similar imo. You're still removing things because people might find them upsetting in some way. Also, I highly doubt Mika's ass slap was the deciding factor in this game's rating.

If this had anything to do with the ESRB, then it's a bigger mess than anyone thought. You've got games like Uncharted where you can brutally murder characters from either shooting them in the head or just snapping their necks and it gets a T rating, but a butt slap can up a goofy fighting game to a M?

Why would you want the Super to be shorter when it takes the whole goddamn match to fill it up? I want long Super animations for my hard work of not dying immediately and somehow managing to actually connect said Super in the first place! Like, I want my Supers to be 24 minute episodes of anime long. "You win the match because your opponent exited the lobby because they didn't want to watch your entire Super" long. How else am I going to get all those trophies for winning online matches?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't understand. Devs don't control the camera?

Devs control everything in their game and if they didn't think this animation fit with R. Mika's character then it would be removed and replaced.

Why is it still there but just hidden? It's obvious that this is self censorship.

Saying that things change during game development and that that's all this is is disingenuous. When's the last time you played a game where a dev thought a level wasn't all that good but still had you play it but just kinda moved the camera way so you couldn't see everything?

Removing things in a haphazard attempt to lower your games rating is pretty similar imo. You're still removing things because people might find them upsetting in some way. Also, I highly doubt Mika's ass slap was the deciding factor in this game's rating.

So you can sell your game.

These are consumer products at the end of the day.

So self-censorship isn't even a thing? It's all just the creative method? I think now we're getting to a point where we're undermining words.

You can call it self-censorship if you like, but it is a key part of any creative endeavor. Especially something as complex as game development. I really don't care what you call it. It feels like you are talking about a subject (game development) that you don't understand.

Everything in a game is intentional and it has to be there in consensus. The arguments inside a studio are where the good stuff happens. Almost all of my good ideas have come from me defending bad ideas. That's how it works. That's the process.

RM8

Why would you want the Super to be shorter when it takes the whole goddamn match to fill it up? I want long Super animations for my hard work of not dying immediately and somehow managing to actually connect said Super in the first place! Like, I want my Supers to be 24 minute episodes of anime long. "You win the match because your opponent exited the lobby because they didn't want to watch your entire Super" long. How else am I going to get all those trophies for winning online matches?
Long Supers suck. You might enjoy Castlevania Judgement :p I swear those Supers were JRPG cut-scenes.

Puruzi

Banned
You seem quite certain for theory crafting. I doubt we ever get a statement from Capcom and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Camera moves back to show more of the slap. This is all in flux. People are ascribing malice to something that could be a simple camera bug.

My main point is that the people actually working on the game are going to make the best version of the game that they can make. People who have a problem with this or anything else, will have plenty of time to decide whether or not they want to buy the game when it's in its shipping state.

Look dude, all i'm saying is that it's likely self censorship. If you don't agree, that's fine, but you ain't changing my mind on this. If it is a glitch, i'll be wrong, feel like an idiot for a little and then it'll be done. If i'm right, then i'm mildly annoyed, but i'll still get the game. That's it.

Mighty fine way to describe popping a boner.
That's the craziest thing about this whole thing, I'm not even an ass guy.

Please, it doesn't matter. Fanservice doesn't matter at all whether it's there or not. Getting up in arms over it getting cut shows strange priorities.
Look you can keep calling me a pervert or sexual deviant all you want, I just still think it's an unnecessary cut, sorry.

FyreWulff

Devs control everything in their game and if they didn't think this animation fit with R. Mika's character then it would be removed and replaced.

Why is it still there but just hidden? It's obvious that this is self censorship.

Saying that things change during game development and that that's all this is is disingenuous. When's the last time you played a game where a dev thought a level wasn't all that good but still had you play it but just kinda moved the camera way so you couldn't see everything?

Bungie cut marines being decapitated by Brutes in Halo 2. Their models still contain optional textures to show their neck being severed.

So while all the pieces were there, the content was adjusted to not show it.

Because when you are a developer, games change while being developed and it's your game, and your speech to make, not anyone else's.

There's a serious lack of buttock slapping in games these days, Capcom not capitalizing here is a real tragedy.

I've not wittnessed R.Mikas buttslap myself with sound, only the gif in the op. It looked like a meaty and loud slap, which makes this tragedy all the worse. A good buttslap is a marriage of visuals and sound, it needs to be reminiscent of Indiana Jones disarming Nazis with his whip.

You have to be startled everytime it happens.

The perfect buttslap would simulate the tingling pain in the palm of your hand, but that's only for generations past ours to experience in VR with special gloves that burn your hand ever so slightly... no thanks to Capcom tho, a pioneer you are not, you could have been among the people on the mayflower here!

I like booty as the next guy but imo this is for the best.
Mika was too sexualized. She looks like a porn star more than a wrestler. Street Fighter is about martial arts, not about sex.
It's ok to have a few sexy caracters (like Cammy) but Mika's ass slap was too much.

Now nerf Laura's boobs Capcom. A bjj grappler with big tits doesn't make any sense.
The last and only booby pro-fighter I know is Brye Ann Rusillo. She was forced in an upper class because of her tits and she's trying to make them to look smaller also.
Still Rusillo looks to be more a stiker than a bjj grappler.

You can call it self-censorship if you like, but it is a key part of any creative endeavor. Especially something as complex as game development. I really don't care what you call it. It feels like you are talking about a subject (game development) that you don't understand.

Everything in a game is intentional and it has to be there in consensus. The arguments inside a studio are where the good stuff happens. Almost all of my good ideas have come from me defending bad ideas. That's how it works. That's the process.

Well that's not what I'm saying. I just can't tell if you're using self-censorship here in a sarcastic way or if you believe it's something that actually can't happen. It just seems like you'd suggest any self censorship is just some acceptable part of a creative process, like removing a gay couple from a show to get it to test better in the mid west.

Because when you are a developer, games change while being developed and it's your game, and your speech to make, not anyone else's.

Dunno why this keeps getting repeated. So, I'll repeat no one suggested we go wrest control of Capcom for our own or file an injunction so we obviously know they have the right to do whatever they want with the game, we have the right to disagree with that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom