• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rachael Leigh Cook remakes her "Brain On Drugs" commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphor!a

Banned
Was Rosa Parks a criminal or a victim?

Run away slaves?

2oAqBOr.gif

Go on. Let's follow this train back to the station.

I wonder if you legitimately think that being gay and being black are basically the same as shooting heroin.

I wonder if you legitimately think that being gay and being black are basically the same as shooting heroin.
I wonder if you legitimately think I'm going to ignore your poor attempt at dodging the question of whether an illegal act renders someone incapable of being a victim.

You want to try again? Here, I'll post another gif for you.

8nYOUmj.gif

It's insane to me that in 2017 people believe folks' only motivation to use drugs is to "feel good", so find another way to feel good and you don't need drugs.

That's not how it works and you're discounting literally millions of reasons as to why someone would make the choice to break those dumb laws.

Euphor!a

Banned
I wonder if you legitimately think I'm going to ignore your poor attempt at dodging the question of whether an illegal act renders someone incapable of being a victim.

You want to try again? Here, I'll post another gif for you.

8nYOUmj.gif

Not inherently. Obviously one can't choose to be black or be gay, thus they can be the victim of unfair laws. But you choose to shoot heroin or do meth. There is an obvious difference and trying to compare one's choice to do illegal drugs versus something that simply isn't a choice seems disingenuous and silly.

Not inherently. Obviously one can't choose to be black or be gay, thus they can be the victim of unfair laws. But you choose to shoot heroin or do meth. There is an obvious difference and trying to compare one's choice to do illegal drugs versus something that simply isn't a choice seems disingenuous and silly.
You're still dodging.

I did not claim it was illegal for Rosa Parks to be African American. I am drawing your attention to the fact that it was illegal for her to occupy a reserved seat on a bus. Was she victimized by this law, Euphor!a?

Answer the question.

Let's try this a third time.
koEL1J7.gif

So if a part of society actively uses something like pot on a standard and recreational basis, and then the people in power decide one day to just make it illegal, the members of that section of society should just stop just because the people in power say so?

Euphor!a

Banned
You're still dodging.

I did not claim it was illegal for Rosa Parks to be African American. I am drawing your attention to the fact that it was illegal for her to occupy a reserved seat on a bus. Was she victimized by this law, Euphor!a?

Answer the question.

Let's try this a third time.
koEL1J7.gif

I never said it was impossible for a criminal to be victimized by a law, I literally just said the opposite.

So if a part of society actively uses something like pot on a standard and recreational basis, and then the people in power decide one day to just make it illegal, the members of that section of society should just stop just because the people in power say so?

You're free to do as you like. Edit: As far as I am concerned. Obviously.

The war on drugs, the whole policy has been a disaster from the get go it's not its enforced that's the only racist component but it's entire purpose of existing and its creation in and of itself was racially motivated to begin with in primarily targeting groups who opposed the Nixon's administration. If this country really wanted a "war" on drugs it should've been focused on addiction treatment instead of incarceration and stronger restrictions and the ridiculousness of Marijuana's DEA classification which was only likely done because of who smoked it. In focusing on treatment it would've been infinity (though okay zero times infinity is still zero) more successful and cost a fraction of what it has over the last 40 years.

Are you seriously going to misrepresent my post by cutting out the part where I was clearly referencing illegal drugs? You're better than that, or maybe you're not...

According to your own original argument, it doesn't matter. If it's illegal, you're a criminal.

Are you seriously going to misrepresent my post by cutting out the part where I was clearly referencing illegal drugs? You're better than that, or maybe you're not...
Are African Americans being victimized by discriminatory enforcement of drug laws, Euphor!a?

Euphor!a

Banned
Are African Americans being victimized by discriminatory enforcement of drug laws, Euphor!a?

They are disproportionately charged and arrested for drug crimes, this is a fact and I am not disputing it. They are however choosing to do those drugs, so no, they are not victims in this instance.

Euphor!a

Banned
So you're just going straight literal. Fine. Then that means that Rosa Parks was a criminal, and so were all those people arrested for sodomy.

If you do something illegal, you are a criminal. I don't know what you want me to tell you. I have already conceded that it is possible for unfair laws to victimize people, just not in the instance of choosing to do drugs.

They are disproportionately charged and arrested for drug crimes, this is a fact and I am not disputing it. They are however choosing to do those drugs, so no, they are not victims in this instance.

Bullshit laws designed to destroy black communities certainly makes them victims of institutional racism

Quick

Banned
If you do something illegal, you are a criminal. I don't know what you want me to tell you. I have already conceded that it is possible for unfair laws to victimize people, just not in the instance of choosing to do drugs.

Others have already made good points, but I'd like to mention that there's more to this than simply "choosing to do drugs".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I genuinely don't understand how this could possibly be construed as victim blaming, the drug users are the ones breaking the law. Unless the argument is that the drugs were planted or simply made-up, they are not a victim, but a criminal. Though, maybe we should arrest more white people.

That's your solution? Fill the prisons even more?

Everything you've been saying in this thread is myopic and callous, but seriously, this one takes the cake.

But they are only criminals because of a corrupt State. You could definally pose an argument about criminality of drug dealers but for the User; in an upstanding society they should be treated as victims as taking drugs is far different from other crimes that are punishable.

Euphor!a

Banned
Others have already made good points, but I'd like to mention that there's more to this than simply "choosing to do drugs".

Obviously there are many simple or complex reasons one gets to that point. But ultimately, yes, it is a choice.

Here, I'll get real personal so that you might catch a glimpse into the mind of a drug user.

I am a normal member of society who suffers from severe anxiety attacks due to my current job and mental health. I used to battle daily with depression and stress, but ever since I started smoking, I have become more productive, have gained back my mental faculties, and I am currently up for a really fantastic job opportunity. I can't move because of the various stresses involved in that, as well I have set up a rather nice life for myself in Pennsylvania.

I'm not addicted to pot, I stop every so often, even for weeks on end. But I will continue doing it because I'd rather not fall down that hole again.

Because the last time that happened, I ended up in the hospital. Twice.

I choose to use drugs because they have helped me become a better person and have improved my life significantly. And I use them even though they are illegal.

I won't give you any other anecdotes because that's all they are. I know too many people who went down my path, using drugs to better themselves, and were then arrested because the thing that would help them was illegal.

So I'm a criminal for breaking the speed limit every day and connecting to unsecure wifi networks and playing poker for money in people's homes?

good to know

Ok. What about opioids and their addictive effects?

You CAN be a drug user and a victim. People die from this. We had how many stars die? How many regular people from pain killers? Come on man.

Anyway this discussion is a no-brainier(see what I did there?). To those offended, I envy you. Must be nice.

Mechazawa

Save everyone the time and just get to what you're really thinking: You don't care about the under-served that turn to drug use to make up for the discrepancies in economic status and injustices in their lives.

That's the only real reason anyone would feel the need to bellow out hardline "do the crime, do the time" rhetoric like what you and Paulink are choosing to plant your flag on.

Euphor!a

Banned
Here, I'll get real personal so that you might catch a glimpse into the mind of a drug user.

I am a normal member of society who suffers from severe anxiety attacks due to my current job and mental health. I used to battle daily with depression and stress, but ever since I started smoking, I have become more productive, have gained back my mental faculties, and I am currently up for a really fantastic job opportunity. I can't move because of the various stresses involved in that, as well I have set up a rather nice life for myself in Pennsylvania.

I'm not addicted to pot, I stop every so often, even for weeks on end. But I will continue doing it because I'd rather not fall down that hole again.

Because the last time that happened, I ended up in the hospital. Twice.

I choose to use drugs because they have helped me become a better person and have improved my life significantly. And I use them even though they are illegal.

I won't give you any other anecdotes because that's all they are. I know too many people who went down my path, using drugs to better themselves, and were then arrested because the thing that would help them was illegal.

I appreciate it, but I don't need any more glimpses into the mind of a drug user, I've had more than enough for several lifetimes.

Skittles

Obviously there are many simple or complex reasons one gets to that point. But ultimately, yes, it is a choice.
Here's a fun change up. Do you believe that illegal immigrants are exploited in jobs like farming even though they "choose" to work there?

Someone living life with only absolute sounds delusional. You can be a drug user and a victim of the war on drugs. Let's ignore addictions and underage drug use that leads to longer term drug use.

I'm posting this image again so certain people can have some goddamn perspective.

tmp_fzZlKU

This shows that all 50 states are racially discriminatory in their policing, with black Americans arrested at levels from 2x to well over 20x as much as white people for the exact same shit. The majority of the states are sitting at well over 3x.

To think Rachael Leigh Cook's fucking commercial making you feel weird is an issue worth discussing for fucking hours today instead of these discrepancies shows us the obvious, ironic truth in LizardKing's idea that white people just don't give a fuck unless it's about them.

Whoa this is really eye opening. Thank you for posting this. Is there an updated chart?

They are disproportionately charged and arrested for drug crimes, this is a fact and I am not disputing it.
I appreciate that you don't dispute it. Your conceding this point means we don't have to argue over whether the war on drugs violates the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment. Which renders this remark:

They are however choosing to do those drugs, so no, they are not victims in this instance.
...Wrong.

You see, Euphor!a, well over a hundred years ago the Supreme Court recognized in Yick Wo v. Hopkins that racist, discriminatory laws applied with "with an evil eye and an unequal hand" were unjust. At the time, bigoted white Californians were arresting Chinese Americans for breaking a law crafted to target their communities and enforced with extreme prejudice. The court wrote, ""The Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution is not confined to the protection of citizens. It says: 'Nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.'"

So, here we are. A century and some change later. If the 14th Amendment rights of African Americans are being violated, which you admit they are, how are those arrested due to selective enforcement not as much victims as the "criminals" the Supreme Court vindicated in 1886?

Edit: Actually I don't want to phrase that as a question. Let me state plainly: You're wrong. In an era where black men and all women could yet not vote, USSC was cognizant enough to establish the fucking obvious fact that selective enforcement victimizes. This is a stupid debate, and yours is a narrowminded opinion.

No, I don't.

I legitimately have no idea.

Then why brush off my post by saying you don't need anymore stories?

Drug usage is much more complicated than just choosing to use it. You seem hard set on not giving any ear or legitimacy to the idea that drug users may be victims persecuted by the government and society.

Drug usage is much more complicated than just choosing to use it. You seem hard set on not giving any ear or legitimacy to the idea that drug users may be victims persecuted by the government and society.

Or you know, recovering from an injury. Did I spell opioids wrong? I'm out politiGAF.

I appreciate the actual points that are made in good faith and intellectual honesty.

Before I started becoming a frequent poster on OT I felt that an individual's density would always prevail over logic. By having a discussion that highlights the ridiculous logic used by those being disingenuous you are still impacting those that are watching from the sideline. Maybe Euph!ora and LizardKing won't recognize their own intellectual dishonesty in arguing false points and semantics, but I think your random lurker can leave with new knowledge and a new point of view.

Yeah well. I at least think this thread highlights why it's so difficult bringing about change in America even in the face of damning data.

Some battles just aren't worth it. They leave you annoyed and wondering how anyone can be so damn hard-headed and unwilling/incapable of reasonable thought.

Like the ostrich, they prefer to keep their heads buried in their conformable bubble.

Euphor!a

Banned
I appreciate that you don't dispute it. Your conceding this point means we don't have to argue over whether the war on drugs violates the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment. Which renders this remark:

...Wrong.

You see, Euphor!a, well over a hundred years ago the Supreme Court recognized in Yick Wo v. Hopkins that racist, discriminatory laws applied with "with an evil eye and an unequal hand" were unjust. At the time, bigoted white Californians were arresting Chinese Americans for breaking a law crafted to target their communities and enforced with extreme prejudice. The court wrote, ""The Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution is not confined to the protection of citizens. It says: 'Nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.'"

So, here we are. A century and some change later. If the 14th Amendment rights of African Americans are being violated, which you admit they are, how are those arrested due to selective enforcement not as much victims as the "criminals" the Supreme Court vindicated in 1886?

Edit: Actually I don't want to phrase that as a question. Let me state plainly: You're wrong. In an era where black men and all women could yet not vote, USSC was cognizant enough to establish the fucking obvious fact that selective enforcement victimizes. This is a stupid debate, and yours is a narrowminded opinion.

According to the link you posted a law must be conceived under undeniable racist intentions to apply the equal protection clause. I don't believe this to be the case and as of now I don't think the courts do either.

Because I disagree with the idea of doing illegal drugs not being a choice. You can say it is more complicated all you'd like, and it can be, but it is ultimately a choice.

I accept that some people just wanna "maximize" the reach of the message, but "don't bring up race because it makes white people uncomfortable" isn't defensible . Nobody should be offended by the *fact* that some people are more affected than others and that it isn't right. If someone's put off by that message they need to check themselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom