• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rachael Leigh Cook remakes her "Brain On Drugs" commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I really do want to know the root cause of Americas war on drugs. The data has been there for decades: It doesn't work, it targets blacks disproportionately, its a burden on our healthcare system and preoccupies our law enforcement with non violent arrests.

My guess is that corporations, government and professionals (lawyers, healthcare etc.) all have major financial gains from it. Basically it's become a massive portion of our economy at this point right? And the prison industry probably gives so many jobs to private construction and corrections.

Also Probably why I have to piss in a cup before I can get a job, because background check companies and the drug testing industry grabbed hold and won't let go of this cash cow.

Follow the money right?

All in violent drug users should be pardoned from prison and I believe that. But then prison life is harder to rehabilitate than drug use.

What a fucked up world

aasoncott

According to the link you posted a law must be conceived under undeniable racist intentions to apply the equal protection clause. I don't believe this to be the case and as of now I don't think the courts do either.

This is going to be awkward, then:

“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

Quote courtesy of Nixon's domestic policy chief, John Ehrlichman.

I really do want to know the root cause of Americas war on drugs. The data has been there for decades: It doesn't work, it targets blacks disproportionately, its a burden on our healthcare system and preoccupies our law enforcement with non violent arrests.

My guess is that corporations, government and professionals (lawyers, healthcare etc.) all have major financial gains from it. Basically it's become a massive portion of our economy at this point right? And the prison industry probably gives so many jobs to private construction and corrections.

Also Probably why I have to piss in a cup before I can get a job, because background check companies and the drug testing industry grabbed hold and won't let go of this cash cow.

Follow the money right?

All in violent drug users should be pardoned from prison and I believe that. But then prison life is harder to rehabilitate than drug use.

What a fucked up world

HAVE I GOT A BOOK FOR YOU:

22245552.jpg

Chasing The Scream by Johann Hari.

Probably the book that started my thirst for knowledge about the drug war. Has many interviews with people who are part of the drug war, whether directly or indirectly.

But if you need a quick link that might start off your crusade, Let's talk about the man that started it all: Harry J. Anslinger.

Jobbs

Banned
People suffering from drug addiction have an illness. They need help. It's just so strange that they're treated as criminals.

“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

I hadn't read that quote before, goddamn Nixon was a racist psycho.

Great ad.

I think the original ad was affective in getting the message across that Heroin is a bad drug. I remember that commercial as a kid and it left a lasting impression on me. It didn't stop me from using other, safer drugs like marijuana, but it still stuck out in my mind.

Though I more so remember the "This is your brain........ This is your brain on drugs" scrambled egg commercial.

Still, today, heroin is an awful drug. Though commercials against it don't need to focus on getting addicted to heroin, but more so getting addicted to prescription opioids that lead to heroin abuse. I would like to see a national ad campaign against prescription opioids, controlled substances that are fully legal, yet largely lead to people abusing heroin.

While Nixon is one of the worst presidents, neurotic, and unstable, it's worth recognizing that Ehrlichman is a disgraced criminal who was looking to blame all of his problems on the Administration he worked for, and he was also the chief architect of the Watergate break-in and the wiretapping of other cabinet members in the White House. Nixon was a terrible president, but this quote should be a reflection of Erlichman, a person mostly forgotten to history outside of Nixon or Kissinger biographies.

I have seen the original many times, thanks to YouTube, and then thanks again to Doug Walker, but this a case where the sequel is much better than the original. Original was memorable, but otherwise, it was like many DARE and "Drugs are bad" commercials from the 90s. This commercial, on the other hand, almost serves a counterpoint to the original, and sends a much more effective and true message. It will probably garner some controversy, though.

”The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

Everyone should read this.

I think this audio is also played in The 13th on Netflix (or something similar I've watched).

I have seen the original many times, thanks to YouTube, and then thanks again to Doug Walker, but this a case where the sequel is much better than the original. Original was memorable, but otherwise, it was like many DARE and "Drugs are bad" commercials from the 90s. This commercial, on the other hand, almost serves a counterpoint to the original, and sends a much more effective and true message. It will probably garner some controversy, though.
I think what I appreciate about the new ad is how it's the result of actual research and critical thinking, whereas DARE-type ads were obviously government or corporate programs meant to brainwash, and which celebrities and people bought into as "common sense." The new one also represents people using their voice to make positive changes in the world rather than as a disciplinarian way to sow confusion and compliance. We've come far on this issue (well, some of us, I should say, after reading this thread).

I hadn't either.

This thread resulted in me finally watching The 13th. I avoided doing so for ages because I knew the content would upset me. And it did. Looking back over the discussion that sprang from the OP is even more frustrating now.

Whoa isn't she Tifa's voice actress???

I didn't know she was in that drug commercial!

Kind of sad those are two things many know her for. She was in a ton of stuff in the 90s and early 2000s and she still looks great. No reason why she shouldn't be doing bigger things these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom