• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radamel Falcao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

i don't really follow the scene anymore, but i thought this guy is high on the pecking order in as monaco? didn't they buy him for a lot of money back then? why in the world would monaco agree to this?

Lakitu

st5fu
Hate to say it but Man Utd have bought extremely well. I just can't believe they didn't buy a CB. I guess their philosophy will just be attacking.

Porcile

Funny how no one else in Europe wanted him. Falcao was a great player but that injury last year makes him a liability.

Nyx

22 million euros per year
1.8 million euros per month
420.000 euros per week
60.000 euros per day
41 euros per minute

Damnit!

kharma45

420.000 euros per week
60.000 euros per day
41 euros per minute

Damnit!

Just as well United aren't paying him his full salary. We're giving him ~£12m p/a, presume Monaco are making up the rest.

D_prOdigy

i don't really follow the scene anymore, but i thought this guy is high on the pecking order in as monaco? didn't they buy him for a lot of money back then? why in the world would monaco agree to this?

He just wanted to move to the greatest club in the world in the best league in the world.

He even took a pay-cut to do so.

phaze

Monaco's owner lost a few billions because of divorce.

TimmmV

Took until post 3 for a United fan to shoehorn something about Liverpool into the discussion

Honestly, for such a successful club they spend a lot of time about how Liverpool/City/Leeds are shit, instead of why they're so good.

Tc91

Took until post 3 for a United fan to shoehorn something about Liverpool into the discussion

Honestly, for such a successful club they spend a lot of time about how Liverpool/City/Leeds are shit, instead of why they're so good.

Cause Brendan Rodgers was being a fucking idiot with what he said.

You don't have to offer CL football to be able to sign some of the best players in the world, just show them the project and obviously the money and they'll come. (Just like City did when they signed Yaya Toure, David Silva, Robinho etc not being in the CL)

They all know how successful United has been over the past 20 years and 1 little dip because of the greatest manager ever leaving and being replaced by a fucking goblin doesn't mean we won't be back to the top in 2-3 years.

Kikarian

Well when Brenda say's "United won't attract any world stars without champions league football", he's well in his right to comment on that.

Uzzy

It does amuse me that after buying Rojo, Shaw, Herrera and Blind, the response of some is 'why isn't LVG buying defenders and midfielders?'

Still, I'm well annoyed that Welbeck's gone. Sure, Falcao's going to be a huge upgrade, but replacing an academy lad with an expensive foreign player just rubs me the wrong way.

Pennywise

420.000 euros per week
60.000 euros per day
41 euros per minute

Damnit!

QglMxwg.jpg

TimmmV

I don't think anything Rodgers said was unreasonable (or even inflammatory to be perfectly honest)

"We still have a lot of work to get in to the Champions League," he said.

"But when you're not in it, even though this club is a worldwide, monumental club, we found it difficult because the best players want to play in the best competitions.

"This was Liverpool and we weren't in the Champions League. In order to get in some of the type of players we want, that's where we need to be and we're trying to be.

"Any club will suffer the same when they're not in there. There is no doubt it will hurt you, but they (United) will know that."

"We were talking about the great Liverpool teams - one year becomes two and then all of a sudden it was 20 years since they won the title," he added. "It can get away from you very quickly.

"It's our focus and drive to arrive back (in the Champions League). We have a long way to go but have shown great potential to be in there. I believe if we can get to that level then it gives us a massive advantage as a club."

All hes said it that it gets harder to sign players if your club isn't in the Champions league - and I think thats proven right by the fact that United have had to spend so much on the players they've bought, especially considering that by all accounts United haven't really had much competition from other clubs (with the exception of Shaw, when it is pretty well reported that Chelsea weren't prepared to pay him even close to the money United were)

Dharma

Neo Member
He's currently in the right league to be a mercenary that's for sure. Is it what United needed though? They already have Mata, Rooney and RVP in attack were as they have Fletcher and Carrick in Midfield :(

Nyx

Can you imagine Falcao taking a shit earns him more money than me working the entire day?

If he had a big diner the night before and it turns out he has to poop for 10 minutes, he makes more during that time than me in a week.

Note to self : Find better job.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
He's currently in the right league to be a mercenary that's for sure. Is it what United needed though? They already have Mata, Rooney and RVP in attack were as they have Fletcher and Carrick in Midfield :(

Top class players are hard to get; you don't easily turn down the opportunity to sign a player like Falcao. He's an improvement on Welbeck/Hernandez. That they have a weak defence and midfield is accurate (though it is exacerbated by their current injury crisis) but also irrelevant. United are a money making machine and have largely under-invested in recent years. Falcao didn't come at the expense of another defensive/midfield signing, it came because the opportunity arose.

Pennywise

Can you imagine Falcao taking a shit earns him more money than me working the entire day?

If he had a big diner the night before and it turns out he has to poop for 10 minutes, he makes more during that time than me in a week.

Note to self : Find better job.

He makes more money a day than I've got for a year (student)....

jbzcH0F5U6uMjI.png

lmbotiva

I still believe Real Madrid signed the wrong Colombian, JamesR is not worth 80 million euros and that's putting a lot of pressure on him, you can see the way the guy plays now, nervous all the time, falcao should have been the first choice for Madrid but united have signed one hell of a striker, before he got injured he was the best forward striker in the world, it seems that he hasn't lost his touch, in the games that he has played after getting back on the pitch he has score goals so this will be good for united, it's gonna be interesting now having angel di Maria and falcao in the same team

Fantastic player, and good signing. Even though it isn't really a player they needed, he will certainly make them better. Though, I still have huge questions about United's midfield, backline and how they can adapt to the 3-5-2. Their back line is their weakest point, by far. And in a 3-5-2, you have to have a strong backline, but as it stands currently their wingbacks seem to have to play super cautiously to protect them, and that really hurts the overall team chemistry and leads to Mata, and the strikers being isolated. The times the wingbacks did get forward this season, they got killed on counters. So, not sure what they are going to do here. Despite all the money they spent they seem to have spent the majority of it in the wrong places.

Also, why are people saying he took a paycut? lol. He is on a loan, meaning he didn't sign a new contract. So unless Monaco are paying part of his wages, United are paying for one season for his 340k+ a week wages on his contract that runs till 2018.

The only reason this deal is even happening is because Monaco's owner lost half his fortune in a divorce and wanted to dump his wages, that's why he was being offered to every and any club that would take him. I mean who the **** loans out Falcao? lol. Clear wage dump. Not even Madrid and the mad king Perez were crazy enough to pay those wages for one year of services.

In short, huge Gamble by United, considering they still have a lot of weakness, and there are so many teams in the Prem that are so strong, I think it is wrong to spend this insane amount of money and put a ridiculous amount of pressure on LVG, it probably would have been better to let him rebuild the team first and get his system working rather than desperation moves like this from minute one.

NateDog

lol this thread, everyone shifting blame and insults onto everyone. United's spending has been pretty crazy this year, I didn't realise that the fair play financial rules had no bearing on a club not in Europe for a season, seems like a pretty big thing to miss for FIFA. I just don't understand why they've signed those that they have. Rojo, Blind and Shaw all play left-back, or at least left-sided predominantly, Di Maria is a super player and despite all the talk about Ronaldo and Bale last season he was one of Madrid's best in the run to the Champions League trophy and I can see why Calderon was unhappy that he wanted to leave, even with James signed up now Di Maria was an important player for them. But then United loan out Nani and apparently pay his £5m wages for him at Sporting too, so they only have Di Maria and Valencia as wingers (and Valencia has been dire for a while). Falcao signing makes sense in the context. Monaco are presumably going the way of Malaga, a failed attempt at buying trophies and a successful brand, it's the only reason why I can see them actually notifying clubs 48 hours before the transfer window shuts making sure they know Falcao is available, with more time they could have gotten a great deal. I find it hard to believe Falcao is not getting over £300,000K a week, it makes sense especially with United's unbalanced team and not being in Europe this season and seemingly not next season either. United will make money from image rights and shirt sales thanks to him (heck I don't really support anyone but I love watching Falcao so much that I will make an effort to watch United when I can to see him), but long term I'm not quite sure what will happen.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
lol this thread, everyone shifting blame and insults onto everyone. United's spending has been pretty crazy this year, I didn't realise that the fair play financial rules had no bearing on a club not in Europe for a season, seems like a pretty big thing to miss for FIFA. I just don't understand why they've signed those that they have. Rojo, Blind and Shaw all play left-back, or at least left-sided predominantly, Di Maria is a super player and despite all the talk about Ronaldo and Bale last season he was one of Madrid's best in the run to the Champions League trophy and I can see why Calderon was unhappy that he wanted to leave, even with James signed up now Di Maria was an important player for them. But then United loan out Nani and apparently pay his £5m wages for him at Sporting too, so they only have Di Maria and Valencia as wingers (and Valencia has been dire for a while). Falcao signing makes sense in the context. Monaco are presumably going the way of Malaga, a failed attempt at buying trophies and a successful brand, it's the only reason why I can see them actually notifying clubs 48 hours before the transfer window shuts making sure they know Falcao is available, with more time they could have gotten a great deal. I find it hard to believe Falcao is not getting over £300,000K a week, it makes sense especially with United's unbalanced team and not being in Europe this season and seemingly not next season either. United will make money from image rights and shirt sales thanks to him (heck I don't really support anyone but I love watching Falcao so much that I will make an effort to watch United when I can to see him), but long term I'm not quite sure what will happen.

We are under FFP and we could have bought 5 Falcaos and still be under it :3

HabeeNo

Glad for Man U fans, but I think the team should've invested the money into a defensive player.

(My first post at GAF :D)

Kill3r7

Glad for Man U fans, but I think the team should've invested the money into a defensive player.

(My first post at GAF :D)

Easier said than done. Rumor had it that we tried to sign Hummels and/or Benatia. Also the whole Vidal saga.

In all likelihood I expect Woodward to put in a bid during the January window for Hummels and Strootman/Vidal.

NateDog

We are under FFP and we could have bought 5 Falcaos and still be under it :3

I thought it goes from year to year? I get the Ronaldo sale a few years ago means they have money in the bank but didn't United still spend decent amounts in recent years? I thought Ronaldo sale was before FFP.

I thought it goes from year to year? I get the Ronaldo sale a few years ago means they have money in the bank but didn't United still spend decent amounts in recent years? I thought Ronaldo sale was before FFP.

FFP measures against your loss/profitability in a given financial year.

These transfers will be counted against the current financial year, ending next Spring. United will probably make close to £100m in profit in that period - so the cost of the transfers is easily affordable to them.

Also player cost is amortized across the life of the contract. For instance, ADM cost £60m. He signed a 5 year contract. In the current financial year the cost of owning his contract will be registered as - £12m.

Jimrpg

Chelsea and Man City made it impossible to compete,

even Arsenal are having to spend (Sanchez, Ozil)

Really? Man United won the prem three years in a row after those Chelsea years. They can do it again they just can't do it without fergie

Jimrpg

In short, huge Gamble by United, considering they still have a lot of weakness, and there are so many teams in the Prem that are so strong, I think it is wrong to spend this insane amount of money and put a ridiculous amount of pressure on LVG, it probably would have been better to let him rebuild the team first and get his system working rather than desperation moves like this from minute one.

Pretty much how I feel. Should have let lvg rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom