• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon HD 7900 Launch set for December 22nd, 2011 - R1000 | Tahiti | GCN

artist

Banned
Previous two topics;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453713
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434388

Google translation of Donanimhaber said:
AMD's Radeon HD 7900 series graphics cards for The much anticipated answer to one of the most important questions on the cards out todayofficial as was attained. AMD's Radeon HD 7900 series for pre-press teleconference invitation bilgilendirmesinein theDate of publication ban on the release date of the cards revealed, January 9, 2012.

Will be held in Las Vegas Consumer Electronics 2012 Fair with at the same time the world Graphics cards will be presented to the public for formality-winning features, but not yet emerged new generation Tahiti graphics chip based on the graphics processor architecture power AMD with the Radeon HD 7900 series, the R600 GPU Radeon HD 2900 series since the first out of time on the 256-bit memory bus will offer 384-bit level.

GPU Radeon HD 7950 Pro Tahiti, Tahiti, the HD 7970 XT GPU model power will new generation graphics cards for at least in parallel with the top model, the Radeon HD 7970'te 2048x process unit, and unit 128x 48x ROP unit of tissue withexpected to come from. to be used, depending on the speed of the memory chip 240with 264GB/saniye level graphics card that will offer memory bandwidth, but also improved the efficiency of Crossfire, focused on GPGPU new and 3D graphics-oriented features will offer performance improvements.
Source: http://www.donanimhaber.com/ekran-k...-7900-serisinin-lansman-tarihi-kesinlesti.htm

And based on the earlier leaked die shot;
ibsC7cnipIQv9h.jpg
3DCenter estimates;

"4.5 billion transistors on approximately 380mm ² at 28nm GCN architecture adopted in 2048 1D shader units approved 128 units textures probably 48 raster operation units 384-bit DDR memory interface (up to GDDR5) maximum clock chip slightly below 1000 MHz memory assumed 2500-2750 MHz maximum computing power: just under 4 GFlops (SP) maximum memory bandwidth: 240-264 MB / sec"
Base

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Probably Feb-March time frame. Rumored 7800 series (Pitcairn) is a die shrunk 6970 on steroids.

Yep, that's what makes it appealing. 6970 level performance with half the power consumption for (my estimate) $280ish? Sounds great to me, especially once NVidia's cards hit and we see price drops. I think the 7870 is going to end up being a bang/buck champ kind of like the 6950/560 Ti this gen, at least until the new consoles hit and we see a system requirements boost.

artist

Banned
What are you basing this statement on?
Basically what I'm hearing from the people who work at AIB partners. I could be wrong ..

Yep, that's what makes it appealing. 6970 level performance with half the power consumption for (my estimate) $280ish? Sounds great to me, especially once NVidia's cards hit and we see price drops. I think the 7870 is going to end up being a bang/buck champ kind of like the 6950/560 Ti this gen, at least until the new consoles hit and we see a system requirements boost.
Yeah, perf/$, those are the champs;

2011-12Dez-12.png

DieH@rd

Banned
FIIIIIINALLY.

femsmarktherockmic.jpg

The fact that they are launching first with the expencive 79xx speaks that they want to get rid of 69xx with not much losses.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So...
From March to Jan
Lower end to Flagship
4.5bil estimate? I don't think that much. Maybe around 4.0 They probably can make better decisions than me though. :p

I'm dubious of this, but hope everything goes well for the launch and performance wise.
As was said, 'paper type launch' might seem more appropriate (aka ship 100 to each retailer, then wait a month), but I think AMD needs to hit this one out of the park for performance and use this time window to their advantage since nVidia hasn't said anything about a release.

*If everything lines up though, we are looking at a solid 40% boost in the $350 range and I'm not going to say no to that. We've been needing a big jump for a while.
**Jan 9 has to be NDA / launch date reveal. No way is it launch imo.

[Nintex]

Yes, yes, yes awesome. Finally something to replace my HD5850 with : D

With that said I'm also crossing my fingers that a HD7000-series part powers the Xbox NextGen. It would speed up developer adaption of all the new features and powah.

Rufus

Hm, I currently have a 4890 and it's getting long in the tooth. Do I wait until 78xx are out and hit 200€, or do I get a 6950 and skip the 7xxx series? Hm. Hmhmhm.

AMD's Radeon HD 7900 series for pre-press teleconference invitation bilgilendirmesinein theDate of publication ban on the release date of the cards revealed, January 9, 2012.

AMD's invitation to the teleconference about pre-press notification of AMD's Radeon HD 7900 series contained the end date for press prohibition revealing the release date: 9 January 2012.

But I guess everybody already got that.

kamspy

Could this be Bulldozer in a PCI slot? We know it's a new engineering team. Even the 6000 series was still riding that great R700 architecture.

And the people who made the R700 have left the building. A leetle bit concerned over here.

mik83kuu

Banned
I think that settles it for me. I fucking hate AMD's drivers to the bone, but I'm only interested in two games for PC in 2012 and I guess it'll be fine since they are both big titles (D3 and GW2).

I was going to buy a GTX580 the day after tomorrow, but I guess I'll buy a cheaper card for 2D just to get my system up and running and spend the extra monies on a PS3 :)

derFeef

I think that settles it for me. I fucking hate AMD's drivers to the bone, but I'm only interested in two games for PC in 2012 and I guess it'll be fine since they are both big titles (D3 and GW2).

I was going to buy a GTX580 the day after tomorrow, but I guess I'll buy a cheaper card for 2D just to get my system up and running and spend the extra monies on a PS3 :)

I don't get what you are saying here. You hate AMD's drivers but are still going to buy a powerful AMD card (7900 series) for those two games, which will run on todays middleground hardware just fine?

Shambles

I'm in the same boat. :(

Same here. I've been waiting for the GPU die shrink for a while now and at this point i'm just going to wait until IB comes out along with the new generation of GPUs. It will give me a little more time for SSD's to come down as well as the newer GPUs to come down in price a bit by the time IB comes out. I think we'll see a lot of people doing builds at that point in time.

Lets hope this isn't the Bulldozer of GPUs. And hopefully AMD has a new driver team or something because their whole hands off approach with developer relations is fucking annoying as shit.

Need some kind of numbers before I can start fapping. I need a new upgrade soon. My 8800 GS has served me well these 3 and a half years.

pelican

Interesting...but I will stick with my 560ti to see how the land lies.

There is no need to upgrade this GPU atm. 560ti is an amazing card and very easy to oc.

mik83kuu

Banned
I don't get what you are saying here. You hate AMD's drivers but are still going to buy a powerful AMD card (7900 series) for those two games, which will run on todays middleground hardware just fine?

My display is 2560x1440 and I like proper AA in my games. Nuf' said.

I'll wait for the ATI 8800 GT i have bad feelings about the Seven series

If you're gonna get all cute, why not go all the way and wait for the 9800 PRO?

As for this card, I really shouldn't be able to justify upgrading my GTX 580, but this damn 2560x1440 monitor craves every gigabyte per second of bandwidth that I can throw at it.

I sure do, as do you :)

Seeing that Microsoft gets the latest and greatest from AMD/ATI and they create DirectX so it's a given that the Next XBOX will get a gpu that has the most current tech and some exclusive features that will not be in current gpus till some time in the future.

Top Bottom