• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon HD 7900 Launch set for December 22nd, 2011 - R1000 | Tahiti | GCN

If you're gonna get all cute, why not go all the way and wait for the 9800 PRO?

As for this card, I really shouldn't be able to justify upgrading my GTX 580, but this damn 2560x1440 monitor craves every gigabyte per second of bandwidth that I can throw at it.

so what you are saying is your video card is for sale, I'll Bid a mystery bag full of "stuff"

BurntPork

Banned
WiiU early dev kits sadly use something from Radeon 4xxx line.

But even 4770 has ~3-4 times the performance when compared to x360/ps3 gpu-s.

Fixed.

Seeing that Microsoft gets the latest and greatest from AMD/ATI and they create DirectX so it's a given that the Next XBOX will get a gpu that has the most current tech and some exclusive features that will not be in current gpus till some time in the future.

Even so, there's simply no chance in hell that any console will use something like this until late 2014 at the absolute earliest. It's just too big, too hot, and too expensive to cool. Well, unless you're fine with a $700 console the size of a mid-tower.

[Nintex]

Even so, there's simply no chance in hell that any console will use something like this until late 2014 at the absolute earliest. It's just too big, too hot, and too expensive to cool. Well, unless you're fine with a $700 console the size of a mid-tower.

Like with the R500 they can probably use the R1000 architecture for a viable console chip. 28nm will actually help with some of the issues you mention. It won't be the card you'll find in your PC but it could be based on it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Next gen consoles, if they come out Winter 2012, would use at most a Radeon HD6850 equivalent

Not enough stress can be placed on the "at most", as some people seem to have developed insane expectations for what will be used in a $399 console.

Hellish

Sad reality for Nvidia.. AMD will probably refreshing the 79xx series by the time Nvidia launches it's next line..

Sad reality for AMD, the 7950/70 will be on the level of the current GTX 580's

It was purported recently that nvidia's high-end 6XX cards won't hit until late 2012, but I find the notion of giving AMD an 8-10-month head start egregious.

I know, and I am thinking about swapping out my SLI GTX 480's for 2 Classified GTX 580's

grendelrt

I hope they end up being faster. I have a 5970 which the 6990 was only 20-30% faster than depending on the review site. If its only as fast as the 6990 not really worth the upgrade. Might wait and see what Nvidia does this time.

squidyj

Not enough stress can be placed on the "at most", as some people seem to have developed insane expectations for what will be used in a $399 console.

mmmmmm.... no.

There's no reason they wouldn't use the arch from the 6900 series unless you think they buy off the rack GPUs and slot them into the console.

If it comes out winter 2012 that'll probably rule out this southern islands 7xxx series just because it seems to be designed for the 28nm process which by that point won't be a desirable tech for MS, not yet. If they push to 2013 then I could see them putting out a console on that arch easily.

it's true they won't put a crazy GPU in a console for production cost and power draw reasons but they will still most likely work with AMD to develop from the most up to date architecture they can use.

As an aside it's also faulty to try to extrapolate graphics performance from the percieved PPW on PC of a GPU.

I hope they end up being faster. I have a 5970 which the 6990 was only 20-30% faster than depending on the review site. If its only as fast as the 6990 not really worth the upgrade. Might wait and see what Nvidia does this time.

Yeah, I mean, I like my 570, it does pretty much everything I need horsepower wise (OCed a fair bit, not a ridiculous monitor) but the frame buffer on it is KILLING me, absolutely killing me.

BurntPork

Banned
[Nintex];33410700 said:
Like with the R500 they can probably use the R1000 architecture for a viable console chip. 28nm will actually help with some of the issues you mention. It won't be the card you'll find in your PC but it could be based on it.

I didn't say anything about the architecture; just the chip itself. Basically, you won't find a chip with the performance of a 7970 in a console before Q4 2014 on 20nm. Half that is more realistic.

Also, keep in mind that this chip already is 28nm, so it doesn't make a difference.

BurntPork

Banned

I think that you're VASTLY overestimating the performance gap between the 6970 and the GTX 580. I'm sure that the 7950 will be at least 20-30% faster than the 580. They're not about to pull a Bulldozer.

[Nintex]

I think that you're VASTLY overestimating the performance gap between the 6970 and the GTX 580. I'm sure that the 7950 will be at least 20-30% faster than the 580. They're not about to pull a Bulldozer.

With AMD you'll never know. With Bulldozer they also tried to convince everyone that they really had something this time((and they alsmost succeeded too).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
[Nintex];33411264 said:
With AMD you'll never know. With Bulldozer they also tried to convince everyone that they really had something this time((and they alsmost succeeded too).

AMDs GPU division is entirely separately from their CPU division and has actually been even more successful since the merger/buyout thing. I'd be pretty shocked if the 7950 isn't a 20%+ improvement over the 580.

BurntPork

Banned
[Nintex];33411264 said:

They've been relatively competitive with GPUs, though. Considering the die shrink, they'd have to actively try to stay behind to not beat the 580. The 6970 was just them hitting their architecture's limit at 40nm.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
[Nintex];33411264 said:
People aren't locked into AMD GPUs though. It takes 30 minutes to swap out cards and install new drivers. AMD has to have something competitive with Nvidia's next release at that price point.

my my, junior.......what incredible evidence you have to back up that statement!

Been waiting for this for 2 years :) can't wait to upgrade my 5770 to a 7970!

wow......the sheer jump in horsepower that you'll be getting (if the 7970 is at least 10% better than a 6970)....... that is certainly worth some excitement! And one month away no less!!

pestul

Doubtful since there's no historical evidence of AMD/ATI ever doing that.. going to the 28nm process only reinforces that fact. Why would anyone hope for that anyway? Shouldn't everyone be excited for AMD to release a much faster product with solid drivers? We're only talking about graphics hardware here. :S

^lol @ solid AMD drivers

I always look at Nvidia and AMD as F1 car companies.

Both of them make damn near identically performing cars, but Nvidia's drivers are much better. AMD's drivers arrive at track day drunk as shit and didn't learn the layout of the course (game) , it takes them weeks/months to sober up and learn the course and by that time, Nvidia is working on knocking seconds off their best lap.

I just switched from a 4870 to a GTX560Ti 448 because of the issues I have with AMDs drivers. I'm platform agnostic, but I hate laziness/hands off approach that AMD takes to getting their drivers up to speed with new releases. Shit is annoying as fuck, because they seriously think the industry is going to bend to their will...when clearly they're not. Sad thing I was originally going to get a 79xx part. I just can't deal anymore.

Zzoram

My HD4870 is still rockin Starcraft 2 on Ultra and I don't feel the need to upgrade yet.

I'll hold out for the GT760 or something.

They've been relatively competitive with GPUs, though. Considering the die shrink, they'd have to actively try to stay behind to not beat the 580. The 6970 was just them hitting their architecture's limit at 40nm.

If they had made it as big as the 580 it would have been faster.

I know, and I am thinking about swapping out my SLI GTX 480's for 2 Classified GTX 580's

You're wrong, and have more money than sense.

Sorry, but those are most likely horribly fake. Someone else made up some very similar (exact same graph type/colors) benchmarks but with older games.

mkenyon

Banned
[DH] said:
AMD's Radeon HD 7900 series graphics cards for the highly anticipated answer to one of the most important questions on the official as of today got the cards out. AMD Radeon HD 7900 series for pre-press bilgilendirmesine teleconference invitation cards out on the date of publication ban on the exposed, January 9, 2012.

Source

Google Translate link

Non-official leaked benches

Leaked 7970 Picture:

600x450px-LL-601b6829_Radeon-HD-7970-Tahiti-XT-03.jpeg

lol

A 580 is on average 10-15% faster than the 6970. If AMD manages to deliver only a 10-15% improvement then they're going to get steamrolled by Nvidia even without the 28nm shrink.

Keep drinking the green cool-aid

FAKE.

Are you serious mate? I get there fake, im wondering if theyre in the balllpark range for the real performance?

Fucking hell, can you just not be a 3 year old and try your trolling elsewhere? I frequent some overclock and hardware boards where this is more common, you may want to try there.

Listen, you don't need to justify that you have Nvidia cards by coming to this thread with unsubstantiated statements about the performance of these cards in a clear instance of you angry that AMD will have the lead for at least a few months. Just go enjoy your own hardware if you don't want to buy these.

confirmed as 28nm? if it is then it'll cost a fortune and be in small quantities. Apple's taking the lions share of TSMC's 28nm production capability.

Jarmel

Banned
Ugh so conflicted. Need to update my hardware but I want to wait for Nvidia. I just don't want to wait half a year.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
lol

A 580 is on average 10-15% faster than the 6970. If AMD manages to deliver only a 10-15% improvement then they're going to get steamrolled by Nvidia even without the 28nm shrink.

Keep drinking the green cool-aid

FAKE.

You aren't reading the chart correctly...

Those GPUs that it's close to would be crossfire/sli on card (dual GPUs) while the 7970 in a single gpu

artist

Banned
You aren't reading the chart correctly...

Those GPUs that it's close to would be crossfire/sli on card (dual GPUs) while the 7970 in a single gpu
I'm reading the chart correctly. I think you are reading my post without referring to the quoted posts ..

1. Guy claimed 7970 will be as fast as 580, I said pretty sure it wont be the case.
2. The 7970 benchmarks are fake.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm reading the chart correctly. I think you are reading my post without referring to the quoted posts ..

1. Guy claimed 7970 will be as fast as 580, I said pretty sure it wont be the case.
2. The 7970 benchmarks are fake.
I don't see why not. Crossfire'd 5850s are as fast as a 580 when the drivers aren't ass. But that's a big if.

Yeah... pass.

When a new game gets released and after 2 weeks there is little to none threads about it not working correctly with ATI - only then will I jump ship from nV camp.

Drivers are king.

AkIRA_22

I'm quite surprised they have gone with the 79XX series first. I was was completely expecting the 78XX and having to wait an extra month or two to replace my 2x5870s with one glorious, relatively low power card. Bring it on!

Top Bottom