• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX 8000 “RDNA 4” GPUs To Utilize 18 Gbps GDDR6 Memory for entire lineup

Bernoulli

M2 slut
rumor

Now based on the latest rumor from @Kepler_L2, it looks like the AMD Radeon RX 8000 "RDNA 4" GPUs will be utilizing GDDR6 memory and no special or faster variant. They will stick with the just 18.00 Gbps speeds which are slightly lower than the current fastest models such as the 7900 XTX or the 7800 XT. The Radeon RX 7900 GRE, RX 7700 XT, RX 7600 XT & the RX 7600 feature 18 Gbps dies. The current lineup features the following:

• Radeon RX 7900 XTX: 384-bit / 20 Gbps / 960 GB/s
  • Radeon RX 7900 XT: 320-bit / 20 Gbps / 800 GB/s
  • Radeon RX 7900 GRE: 256-bit / 18 Gbps / 576 GB/s
  • Radeon RX 7800 XT: 256-bit / 19.5 Gbps / 624 GB/s
  • Radeon RX 7700 XT: 192-bit / 18 Gbps / 432 GB/s
  • Radeon RX 7600 XT: 128-bit / 18 Gbps / 288 GB/s
  • Radeon RX 7600: 128-bit / 18 Gbps / 288 GB/s
Considering that, we can expect similar bus interfaces which should give us the following memory configurations across the RDNA 4 GPU SKUs:

• Radeon RX 8000: 256-bit / 18 Gbps / 576 GB/s
  • Radeon RX 8000: 192-bit / 18 Gbps / 432 GB/s
  • Radeon RX 8000: 128-bit / 18 Gbps / 288 GB/s

Last edited:
I guess amd are confirming that all the 8000 series graphics cards are strictly ‘mid’, at best

Maybe they will try the high end next time around. But with some competitive pricing they could hold some decent ground with their cards (and supply the rumoured rt upgrades and performance fixes)

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I guess amd are confirming that all the 8000 series graphics cards are strictly ‘mid’, at best

Maybe they will try the high end next time around. But with some competitive pricing they could hold some decent ground with their cards (and supply the rumoured rt upgrades and performance fixes)
if they can make RDNA4 7800xt cards priced at 300 or less yes other than that
xXBw7uZ.jpeg

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Kepler is pretty hit and miss, this sounds kinda ridiculous TBH, even the current 7800XT uses faster memory.

The only way I can see this being true is if AMD have figured out how to get 2 GPU dies working as a single die and they will be using multiple chips per GPU and get 2x the bus width somehow, but that's pretty unlikely and somewhat optimistic.

AMD may mitigate the need for faster RAM speeds by adding larger caches to the GPU. Perhaps even implement their 3D cache technology from the cpu line?

Regardless, it has been rumoured for some time that the 8000 series wouldn't see a high end variant. Now, it is possible that AMD could revive crossfire, perhaps release a current day R9 295X2. Extremely doubtful but not entirely impossible.

Moving forward, all AMD can do if there is no high end design is attempt to offer a value proposition that simply can't be matched by the competition. I'm talking 7900XTX tier performance at $400 - $500. Again, unlikely but it would be extremely enticing and completely disrupt the plans of Intel and Nvidia. The only other thing that they need to focus on is improving RT. If they did both those things then they could come out of this in good shape. Sadly, I don't think that will happen.

Dr.D00p

So, they're hoping 7900XTX levels of performance for $500 will keep them in the game.

Okey dokey...Nvidia says hold my beer, and releases the 5070, with 50% more performance, for $600, vastly superior RT performance & image reconstruction.

You can't win, AMD.

SmokSmog

Top RDNA4 aka Navi48 has 64CU 256bit bus, same as PS5 Pro but PS5 Pro will have 4CUs disabled for yields and probably no L3 cache to save space for CPU.
Same 18Gb/s memory speed.

Xyphie

if accurate sounds like they are really trying to hit some specific price point with the downgrade from ~20GT/s bins.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

if they can make RDNA4 7800xt cards priced at 300 or less yes other than that
xXBw7uZ.jpeg

Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

AMD loves their Infinity cache, but it can only do so much.
If it's true that they are only using 18Gbps memory, makes me wonder how much L3 they are going to put in these GPUs.

There's a threshold where it just gets stupidly expensive to put cache on monolith die (rumours still put RDNA 4 monolith?) versus ramping up memory bandwidth. But let's see. I just don't think they'll compete in high end but who cares really for 1% of gamers

A mid range GPU with low price, as in a true low, not $50 under Nvidia, would probably turn in their favor. ATI used to be value king without contest for many gens. If they aim for low prices while Nvidia shows you $2000 5090, I still think RDNA 4 should sell better*

(* they better fucking improve their upscaler)

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
We’ve known for a while that they were conceding the high-end to NVIDIA this next generation.

Enjoy your $2000 5090s everyone. I’ll sit this one out.

Three

The leak doesn't make sense...

Current Navi 32 (7800 XT) has 19.5 Gbps memory speed

Why should its successor, Navi 48, have slower memory speed??

Previous leak suggested 21.7 Gbps for Navi 48 on a 256-bit bus: 693 GB/s memory bandwidth
I think that's why it's news. I'm not sure if it's true though.

SoloCamo

No happening

5700XT ($400) beat the Radeon VII ($700) until you went to 4k. AMD may be going that route again where their midrange card performs similar to the high end but with better features/power consumption. If it's anything less than 7900XT performance it's pointless unless it's VERY cheap.

So, they're hoping 7900XTX levels of performance for $500 will keep them in the game.

Okey dokey...Nvidia says hold my beer, and releases the 5070, with 50% more performance, for $600, vastly superior RT performance & image reconstruction.

You can't win, AMD.

Yea no... 4080 already loses to a 7900XTX in raster. If they could do that for $500 they'd have a very solid product. 5070 is going to be on par with a 4080 at most, Nvidia won't short themselves by offering a good price/performance card like the 1080ti ever again.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

RTX 4080 has 380mm2 die
Navi48 is rumored to have 240mm2 die

Not a chance.

dd464dd44eece5e26a3a4f8cb2a992d9ec60e77bcd130af43e35bf7f954afb3c.png

The last time AMD was in the position of not competing on the high end was RDNA1

251 mm² 5700XT

331 mm² Radeon VII

So not quite 7900XTX but hopefully faster than 7900XT

TQ3qblI.png

Gaiff

7900 XT-tier of performance and better RT for around $550 is probably what we'll get.

DaGwaphics

If this is true, it points to the chiplet designs not being quite ready for prime time. Like you said though, the rumored cards will serve the majority of the buying market anyway.

Loxus

The leak doesn't make sense...

Current Navi 32 (7800 XT) has 19.5 Gbps memory speed

Why should its successor, Navi 48, have slower memory speed??

Previous leak suggested 21.7 Gbps for Navi 48 on a 256-bit bus: 693 GB/s memory bandwidth
Yep, from All the Watts leaked specs.

Navi44
TSMC N4P
WGP: 16 (2SE, 32CU, 64ROPs)
Infinity Cache: 32MB
Memory Interface: 128-bit
Bandwith: 288GB/s
Effective Bandwith (with IF$): 515GB/s
Die-Size: ~130 mm²

Navi48
TSMC N4P
WGP: 32 (4SE, 64CU, 128ROPs)
Clock Speed: 3.0GHz
Infinity Cache: 64MB
Memory Interface: 256-bit
Bandwith: 693GB/s
Effective Bandwith (with IF$): 2770GB/s
Die-Size: ~240 mm²
TFLOPs: 50
Watts: ~215W

KfVKpdX.png

winjer

Gold Member
There's a threshold where it just gets stupidly expensive to put cache on monolith die (rumours still put RDNA 4 monolith?) versus ramping up memory bandwidth. But let's see. I just don't think they'll compete in high end but who cares really for 1% of gamers

A mid range GPU with low price, as in a true low, not $50 under Nvidia, would probably turn in their favor. ATI used to be value king without contest for many gens. If they aim for low prices while Nvidia shows you $2000 5090, I still think RDNA 4 should sell better*

(* they better fucking improve their upscaler)

Even Nvidia is putting massive caches on their GPUs. And the reality is that t has some big benefits.
Like you say, there is probably a threshold where it becomes too expensive.
Still AMD, is only using N6 and N7 for these caches. So they are not using the newest and most expensive nodes.

Bojji

The last time AMD was in the position of not competing on the high end was RDNA1

251 mm² 5700XT

331 mm² Radeon VII

So not quite 7900XTX but hopefully faster than 7900XT

TQ3qblI.png

7900 XT-tier of performance and better RT for around $550 is probably what we'll get.

I doubt it will reach 7900XT.

RDNA cards so far have more or less the same IPC, differences comes from clock speeds and memory bandwidth - this cards lacks the latter.

Difference between R7 and 5700XT was more of a architecture difference, old ass GCN vs new and shiny Navi (that was much more modern and comparable to Nvidia).

Gaiff

I doubt it will reach 7900XT.

RDNA cards so far have more or less the same IPC, differences comes from clock speeds and memory bandwidth - this cards lacks the latter.

Difference between R7 and 5700XT was more of a architecture difference, old ass GCN vs new and shiny Navi (that was much more modern and comparable to Nvidia).
7900 GRE can reach 7900 XT-level of performance with a memory OC. It also uses GDDR6/18 Gbps.

Bojji

7900 GRE can reach 7900 XT-level of performance with a memory OC. It also uses GDDR6/18 Gbps.

But it also has 80 compute units, it is limited by power limit and memory bandwidth and both can be fixed to some extend.

8700XT/8800XT (?) is rumored to have 64, I don't doubt it will reach stock 7900GRE levels but more? Of course this is about raster, RT performance can be on another level.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If they are giving up high-end this Gen that's fine by me. Intel clearly has the better chops for upscaling and rt, 2 necessities in the higher end.

All we want is a 500 dollar 7900xt and you will receive sales no other GPU manufacture could ever see in their lifetimes. Unfortunately we probably won't get that.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

You can't win, AMD.
Dawg Nvidia will never do that shit in their lifetime.
GDao2PaXIAA5Aq3.jpg

That 5070 you are describing will be their 5090ti super for 3500 bucks.

Last edited:

Bojji

Dawg Nvidia will never do that shit in their lifetime.
GDao2PaXIAA5Aq3.jpg

That 5070 you are describing will be their 5090ti super for 3500 bucks.

5080 will have less cores than 4090 and 5070 will be even more cut down, we already know that Blackwell will be Ada Lovelace part 2 in this department.

And prices will be high obviously, especially with AMD not competing.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
5080 will have less cores than 4090 and 5070 will be even more cut down, we already know that Blackwell will be Ada Lovelace part 2 in this department.

And prices will be high obviously, especially with AMD not competing.
Yep. The 5000 series is just a 4090 price drop with extra steps the same way the 4080 super was a 4080 price drop with extra steps. Realistically that's the only reason anyone should be excited for this

Buggy Loop

Even Nvidia is putting massive caches on their GPUs. And the reality is that t has some big benefits.
Like you say, there is probably a threshold where it becomes too expensive.
Still AMD, is only using N6 and N7 for these caches. So they are not using the newest and most expensive nodes.

That was chiplet though. I thought RDNA 4 was going back monolith?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
RTX 5000 series might be better right now, but once AMD releases their Fine Wine drivers, and devs get used to the new architecture thanks to PS5 Pro, and they enable the secret CrossfireX feature, RDNA4 is really going to shine.

SoloCamo

RTX 5000 series might be better right now, but once AMD releases their Fine Wine drivers, and devs get used to the new architecture thanks to PS5 Pro, and they enable the secret CrossfireX feature, RDNA4 is really going to shine.

Mock all you like but AMD's drivers at this point are still far more efficient than Nvidia regarding CPU requirements.

MikeM

Looks like my 7900xt replacement may be from Nvidia.

I really hope that RDNA4 gets some wildly better RT otherwise its looking very mid.

SoloCamo

Looks like my 7900xt replacement may be from Nvidia.

I really hope that RDNA4 gets some wildly better RT otherwise its looking very mid.

I'm in the same boat, I was going to upgrade my 6900XT to a 7900XTX but for the games I play it really wasn't worth it. That said, if I can't get similar performance for a decent price with RDNA4 I may have to go back to Nvidia when my card really starts falling behind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom