• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX 8000 “RDNA 4” GPUs To Utilize 18 Gbps GDDR6 Memory for entire lineup

Loxus

That was chiplet though. I thought RDNA 4 was going back monolith?
It should still be chiplet-based in regards to GCD and MCD.
bJqIEu5.jpeg

Not in regards to the GCD being chiplets.

A Chiplet-based RDNA4 was supposed to be like this.
m9BAFB2.jpeg

h01ob9A.png

klNeFWP.jpeg

SoloCamo

Why would you do that though. Who is pairing a 75 buck cpu with a 4090?

His example is extreme, but the minimum fps shows the biggest difference. My 11900k will fair better long term with a Radeon GPU than a similar Nvidia GPU. My 4790k lasted me till 2020 and this was part of the reason (that and being paired with 32gb of cl10 DDR3 2400).

Last edited:

SoloCamo

Less than 256 bits should be a crime.

All depends on the architecture, cache, etc.. My Radeon VII was 4096 bit (HBM2) and put out 1.02 TB/s bandwidth yet my 6900XT with half the bandwidth and a small bus absolutely smokes it.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Just give me 16 GB and the real price up front instead of a year later.

This right here would solve a lot of problems for AMD. Don't wait to try and get the maximum from early adopters, price it where the majority of the units are going to sell from the beginning.

Crayon

This right here would solve a lot of problems for AMD. Don't wait to try and get the maximum from early adopters, price it where the majority of the units are going to sell from the beginning.

My friend asked me if there's a big difference between amd and nvidia. And I told him nvidia's are straight up better unless you are using linux (which he does often as a developer who is comfortable with it), but the amd's are a better deal without the bells and whistles with one huge caveat... the prices aren't good till they cut them a year after they come out. The amd's obviously would have been MUCH more attractive if they had those prices when new.

SoloCamo

My friend asked me if there's a big difference between amd and nvidia. And I told him nvidia's are straight up better unless you are using linux (which he does often as a developer who is comfortable with it), but the amd's are a better deal without the bells and whistles with one huge caveat... the prices aren't good till they cut them a year after they come out. The amd's obviously would have been MUCH more attractive if they had those prices when new.

Horrible advice.... Purchases should not be judged based on the brand making it alone (and this goes for any consumer product). Narrow it down to individual price points and review from there... I'm sure all those 8gb Nvidia buyers are completely happy with their "straight up better" products.

Crayon

Horrible advice.... Purchases should not be judged based on the brand making it alone (and this goes for any consumer product). Narrow it down to individual price points and review from there... I'm sure all those 8gb Nvidia buyers are completely happy with their "straight up better" products.

Is it such horrible advice? He's a big boy and going to cross-shop by himself. I gave him the ten thousand foot view and I think plenty would agree. Another friend there was an avide pc gamer and he agreed that was basically the gist of it. If you want the latest, lean towards nvidia, if you are looking for deals on previous models, make sure to consider amd.

DaGwaphics

Yeah. I previously always went Nvidia, their drive support is always excellent and they tend to be more cutting edge tech wise. However, I've had to start looking at the AMD cards just based on the pricing, I'm cheap and Nvidia has basically priced me out. I picked up a 6800 for $380 and that should hold me for the rest of the generation and the early cross-gen phase, the only Nvidia options were the 4060 and 4060ti 8GB which didn't seem all that great for the price. There has to be other cheapskates out there, and this is AMD's best opening. Though I suspect that Intel is going to gun for this market as well, with maybe better tech overall.

sendit

AMD just can’t compete with Nvidia, which sucks. But to me, this is equivalent to throwing up the white flag.

DaGwaphics

AMD just can’t compete with Nvidia, which sucks. But to me, this is equivalent to throwing up the white flag.

Hmm, it could be the opposite. Having the killer budget card that's value can't be touched might get them a bigger share of the market than copying Nvidia but not being quite as good. They will certainly release new high-end cards in the future, I think it is just a matter of them getting the chiplet tech working at a high enough level (speaking of the GCD tiling or whatever they are calling it).

Crayon

Not necessarily. They got the most heat for the top models because people spending that kind of money have certain expectations. The cheaper stuff in the range was received better.

So if they finally do what everyone has been begging them to, which is release stuff at truly competitive prices, this could be a good turn. The 7800xt and 7900gre were encouraging. And besides, they can come back to high end any time.

FireFly

Is it? Why would AMD do that?
It's much cheaper to use chiplets.
"Ultimately there has to be a tipping point where simply building a monolithic silicon product becomes better for total cost than trying to ship chiplets around and spend lots of money on new packaging techniques. I asked the question to Dr. Lisa Su, acknowledging that AMD doesn’t sell its latest generation below $300, as to whether $300 is the realistic tipping point from the chiplet to the non-chiplet market.

Dr. Su explained how in their product design stages, AMD’s architects look at every possible way of putting chips together. She explained that this means monolithic, chiplet, packaging, process technologies, as the number of potential variables in all of this have direct knock-on effects for supply chain and cost and availability, as well as the end performance of the product. Dr. Su stated quote succinctly that AMD looks for what is best for performance, power, cost – and what you say on the tipping point may be true."

Notably AMD's laptop APUs have remained monolithic.

SoloCamo

Is it such horrible advice? He's a big boy and going to cross-shop by himself. I gave him the ten thousand foot view and I think plenty would agree. Another friend there was an avide pc gamer and he agreed that was basically the gist of it. If you want the latest, lean towards nvidia, if you are looking for deals on previous models, make sure to consider amd.

Fair enough. It's just ptsd on my end from all the years of people simply saying always buy Nvidia regardless of AMD having the better product at the time. But I wouldn't go as far as to say previous models only, AMD and Intel are the only competitive ones in the low-mid range for new and old. I'd also suggest that the 7900XT and 7900XTX are competitive too, if you don't care about RT or upscaling. I'd pick up a 7900XTX over a 4080 without thinking twice as I want as much horsepower at 4k as possible with a reasonable power envelope and no need for a mega heatsink on my gpu taking up huge amounts of space.

Last edited:

Crayon

Fair enough. It's just ptsd on my end from all the years of people simply saying always buy Nvidia regardless of AMD having the better product at the time. But I wouldn't go as far as to say previous models only, AMD and Intel are the only competitive ones in the low-mid range for new and old. I'd also suggest that the 7900XT and 7900XTX are competitive too, if you don't care about RT or upscaling. I'd pick up a 7900XTX over a 4080 without thinking twice as I want as much horsepower at 4k as possible with a reasonable power envelope and no need for a mega heatsink on my gpu taking up huge amounts of space.

For what it's worth, he had a real life examples sitting with him as the other friend likes to future proof, and buys just high end nvidias, while I like a bargain and my last few cards were amd. And we were both happy. :>

SoloCamo

For what it's worth, he had a real life examples sitting with him as the other friend likes to future proof, and buys just high end nvidias, while I like a bargain and my last few cards were amd. And we were both happy. :>

Ironically unless you buy the top dog Nvidia GPU's (Titan Class / xx90 class ) Nvidia is the least future proof simply due to vram. I'm looking to future proof as much as possible but I'm also looking for the best price / performance in doing so which is why I've been on AMD (for my main gaming pc) since 2012.

Crayon

Ironically unless you buy the top dog Nvidia GPU's (Titan Class / xx90 class ) Nvidia is the least future proof simply due to vram. I'm looking to future proof as much as possible but I'm also looking for the best price / performance in doing so which is why I've been on AMD (for my main gaming pc) since 2012.

Oh yah I warned him about the vram... Which he ignored and got a 4060 lol. No matter. I just told him great choice and 6 months later he's telling me this morning how much fun he's having w bg3. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm glad he's actually using his PC this time. He goes through this long interval cycle where he builds a gaming PC (does all his work on macs) , then just gets a PlayStation. Thats why he wasn't up to date on hardware news. Even this time I told him just get the PS5 because we all know what's going to happen lol. But so far at least he's proven me wrong.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
But it also has 80 compute units, it is limited by power limit and memory bandwidth and both can be fixed to some extend.

8700XT/8800XT (?) is rumored to have 64, I don't doubt it will reach stock 7900GRE levels but more? Of course this is about raster, RT performance can be on another level.
We’re expecting performance/watt gains with RDNA4, yes? I’m also assuming the clocks will be substantially higher.

simpatico

7900 GRE equivalent for $299 and I’m in. Feasible too. AMD is so bad with their pricing that the only conclusion one can draw is that they’re working with Nvidia.

hinch7

7900 GRE equivalent for $299 and I’m in. Feasible too. AMD is so bad with their pricing that the only conclusion one can draw is that they’re working with Nvidia.
Yeah thats not happen. Allthewatts did say that Navi 48 (8800XT?) will be faster than the low 31 (7900 GRE).

At best I'd say $450 but its probably going to be closer to the $500 mark.

Last edited:

hinch7

They can it sell for 400$, but that won't happen. Just 500$+
RTX 5070 not releasing this year.
Edited just as you posted lol. But yeah, there's practically no competition in that this tier this year. All Nvidia has is 12GB GPU's in that category with worse overall performance. Assuming AMD sorts out FSR and RT they'll have midrange locked until Q1/Q2 2025. Or whenever Nvidia decides to release the 5070.

There's also Battlemage, but who knows if Intel can pull that off or when that releases.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

Oh yah I warned him about the vram... Which he ignored and got a 4060 lol. No matter. I just told him great choice and 6 months later he's telling me this morning how much fun he's having w bg3. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm glad he's actually using his PC this time. He goes through this long interval cycle where he builds a gaming PC (does all his work on macs) , then just gets a PlayStation. Thats why he wasn't up to date on hardware news. Even this time I told him just get the PS5 because we all know what's going to happen lol. But so far at least he's proven me wrong.

Ha, I really do wish I didn't know as much as I did with parts at times, would save me a lot of money on upgrades long term just being happy with what I have. I did take a AMD 290X from 2013 to 2018/2019 and at this rate my 6900XT might be in my system as long, too. Glad he's using his pc though, that's all that matters.

One cam dream. I'd probably swap out my 6900XT for that to have some newer features and reuse the 6900XT in my living room.

Last edited:

simpatico

Yeah thats not happen. Allthewatts did say that Navi 48 (8800XT?) will be faster than the low 31 (7900 GRE).

At best I'd say $450 but its probably going to be closer to the $500 mark.
They're so close to being able to price wallop Nvidia. Think back to GTX 200 series vs ATI Radeon 4xxxx series. The value wasn't even close. Almost half the price for the same perf. (HD 4870 is a underrated card on the all time GOAT list. Probably was the king until GTX 1080) They need to get that 8800 XT (Nvidia x070) level perf down to $300-350. Just suffer through near zero margins to win some mindshare and deal Nvidia a blow.

Loxus

Next Gen Bandwidth
Nvidia: 2048GB/s
AMD: 576GB/s
Where did that 2048GB/s comes from?
I'm pretty sure this is Blackwell bandwidth.
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5090 & RTX 5080 “Blackwell” GPUs Rumored To Launch In Q4 2024
  • GB202 - 512-bit / 28 Gbps / 32 GB (Max Memory) / 1792 GB/s (Max Bandwidth)
  • GB202 - 384-bit / 28 Gbps / 24 GB (Max Memory) / 1344 GB/s (Max Bandwidth)
  • GB203 - 256-bit / 28 Gbps / 16 GB (Max Memory) / 896.0 GB/s (Max Bandwidth)
  • GB205 - 192-bit / 28 Gbps / 12 GB (Max Memory) / 672.0 GB/s (Max Bandwidth)
  • GB206 - 128-bit / 28 Gbps / 8 GB (Max Memory) / 448.0 GB/s (Max Bandwidth)
  • GB207 - 128-bit / 28 Gbps / 8 GB (Max Memory) / 448.0 GB/s (Max Bandwidth)

twilo99

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5090 & RTX 5080 “Blackwell” GPUs Rumored To Launch In Q4 2024

I’m guessing the 5090ti

MikeM

Eyeing that 5080 hard.

hinch7

They're so close to being able to price wallop Nvidia. Think back to GTX 200 series vs ATI Radeon 4xxxx series. The value wasn't even close. Almost half the price for the same perf. (HD 4870 is a underrated card on the all time GOAT list. Probably was the king until GTX 1080) They need to get that 8800 XT (Nvidia x070) level perf down to $300-350. Just suffer through near zero margins to win some mindshare and deal Nvidia a blow.
Hmm I'm not sure they care about mindshare right now. And eating margins like that will do no good. Which is why they aren't bothering with competing with RDNA 4 and instead moving forward with RDNA 5. Being second best isn't going to capture peoples attention. They'll need to be faster and offer similar feature sets that are competitive and not lagging behind Nvidia's; with their hardware and software stacks. Having a lower cost, high performance mid-range GPU would be a start but its not going that exciting, nor is it reasonable to expect this to sell for sub $350. Manufacturing costs and BOM costs have gone up significantly the last couple years.

They'll need at least a couple of generations of being the king of performance to gain marketshare. Raster, RT, upscaling and other features need to up there with the best, if not be the best.

Last edited:

phant0m

The last time AMD was in the position of not competing on the high end was RDNA1

251 mm² 5700XT

331 mm² Radeon VII

So not quite 7900XTX but hopefully faster than 7900XT

TQ3qblI.png

I had a Radeon VII, card was garbage when compared to the 3080 that came out a year later, which had not only vastly superior RT capabilities but also DLSS at the same price point

Not to mentioned terrible refresh/HDMI negotiation with even FreeSync-certified monitor. Trash drivers. I'll never buy another AMD card again.

Last edited:

Loxus

N36 was exist in AMD labs, but canned due high Power Consumption etc

it's more than 144WGP/384Bus. There was some hint can be ~200WGP
I would of still release it regardless of power consumption. They could of made a limited edition N36.

Yea, I saw that 200WGP somewhere.
AMD wasn't messing around creating these chips.

SolidQ

AMD wasn't messing around creating these chips.
RX 7600 16WGP - RTX 4060 24SM
RX 7800XT 30WGP - RTX 4070 46SM/4070Super 56SM
RX 7900XT 42WGP - RTX 4070ti 60SM/RTX 4070ti Super 66SM
RX 7900XTX 48WGP - RTX 4080 76SM/RTX 4080super 80SM

Thats is comparision. That show how RDNA4 144 was going vs 5090 192??

Hmm, it could be the opposite. Having the killer budget card that's value can't be touched might get them a bigger share of the market than copying Nvidia but not being quite as good. They will certainly release new high-end cards in the future, I think it is just a matter of them getting the chiplet tech working at a high enough level (speaking of the GCD tiling or whatever they are calling it).

No offense but I don't know what you're smoking. The 3060 alone murdered AMD.

Nvidia will come up with some new killer tech that has everyone talking for the 5000 series.

SoloCamo

I had a Radeon VII, card was garbage when compared to the 3080 that came out a year later, which had not only vastly superior RT capabilities but also DLSS at the same price point

Not to mentioned terrible refresh/HDMI negotiation with even FreeSync-certified monitor. Trash drivers. I'll never buy another AMD card again.

So what you are telling me is that a card from a prior generation released in February of 2019 based on a much older architecture was slower than a card released in Sept of 2020? These cards never competed so I'm not sure what you are on about.... and please, unless you are going to bring anything of value why did you post? I mean we all know why, especially with the old tried and true "AMD drivers are bad"... yawn. Aside from a noisy stock cooler the Radeon VII was a very solid card, especially if you did more than game. Let's just say when I sold mine I had more than enough to pay for a crypto mining inflated price 6900XT.

phant0m

So what you are telling me is that a card from a prior generation released in February of 2019 based on a much older architecture was slower than a card released in Sept of 2020? These cards never competed so I'm not sure what you are on about.... and please, unless you are going to bring anything of value why did you post? I mean we all know why, especially with the old tried and true "AMD drivers are bad"... yawn. Aside from a noisy stock cooler the Radeon VII was a very solid card, especially if you did more than game. Let's just say when I sold mine I had more than enough to pay for a crypto mining inflated price 6900XT.

Of course cards a year older will be slower, but usually not HALF as slow (FP TFLOPS of the 3080 are double that of the VII) at the same price point.

And yeah man “bad software yawn”. I’m just making shit up right? Let me get you some “value”:

RX 7600 16WGP - RTX 4060 24SM
RX 7800XT 30WGP - RTX 4070 46SM/4070Super 56SM
RX 7900XT 42WGP - RTX 4070ti 60SM/RTX 4070ti Super 66SM
RX 7900XTX 48WGP - RTX 4080 76SM/RTX 4080super 80SM

Thats is comparision. That show how RDNA4 144 was going vs 5090 192??
Who says that Navi 50 is the biggest variant. Its supposed to be MCM.

SoloCamo

Of course cards a year older will be slower, but usually not HALF as slow (FP TFLOPS of the 3080 are double that of the VII) at the same price point.

And yeah man “bad software yawn”. I’m just making shit up right? Let me get you some “value”:

Edit: not worth it

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

No offense but I don't know what you're smoking. The 3060 alone murdered AMD.

Nvidia will come up with some new killer tech that has everyone talking for the 5000 series.

Nvidia has the mind share, sure. They also have a situation where their GPUs can be used in AI rigs and thus they factor that in to their pricing. It limits what they can do at the bottom of the stack because too much value there cannibalizes the rest of the stack. I don't think the success of the 480/580 and 5700XT was a coincidence. Remember "winning" isn't really important in business, staying alive is. AMD risks growing irrelevant in the space if they don't try to stake claim to something. I assume we all would prefer a three-way battle between AMD/Nvidia/Intel but Intel will try to erase AMD before they take on Nvidia. AMD has to try and position themselves for that.

Value is where AMD can secure the most sales IMO. Nvidia offers the 4060ti for $400, AMD is currently offering the 6800 for $400.

What has been diluting the value message for AMD is the fact that the cards typically aren't released in their best position value wise. Which means most of the reviews and recommendations (made near the launch window) won't present the cards in their best light which can color the public interest for the lifetime of the product. Which is what I believe @ Crayon Crayon was getting at.

Last edited:
Top Bottom