• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX Vega thread

dr_rus

Given Fury's mediocre hashrate to price, I'm thinking miners won't be as interested in Vega?
Miners seems to be interested in everything which is faster than 1050Ti/560 these days.

Die-shot of Vega:

taken from here https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-releases-vega-gpu-die-shot

Still with two stacks. How they managed to get 16GB with two stacks remains a mystery. Maybe this is an 8 die stack?

That's not a die shot, it's not even a die shot painted upon by artists later, it's just a painting.

FingerBang

Miners seems to be interested in everything which is faster than 1050Ti/560 these days.

Well, I browsed around lately and GTX 1060/1070/1080/1080ti are super easy to find at retal price. Go for a RX580 and you'll struggle to find one for less than a 1070. (In Japan at least)

I know people mining and the most popular one seems to be the RX570, since it offers the most bang for the buck. It makes sense especially if you plan to buy 6-8 of them.

dr_rus

Well, I browsed around lately and GTX 1060/1070/1080/1080ti are super easy to find at retal price. Go for a RX580 and you'll struggle to find one for less than a 1070. (In Japan at least)

I know people mining and the most popular one seems to be the RX570, since it offers the most bang for the buck. It makes sense especially if you plan to buy 6-8 of them.

All 1060s, 1070s, 1080s and 1080Tis went out of stock here in the recent couple of weeks. Whatever 1080Tis you can find got their prices up by ~20%. Same with everything starting with RX550 on AMD's side. I know this because I'm eyeing a 1080Ti for an upgrade right now, and during recent couple of weeks miners have made this upgrade completely pointless for me - cards are just too expensive to justify a switch from a 1080.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I don't know how to argue with you. It is for me. Telling me it isn't doesn't change that.

By the way, this is only in Vulkan mode for me. The game has weird artifacts at times and has odd stuttering (almost like highly uneven framepacing). The framerates are sky high though. OpenGL mode runs buttery smooth for me on my 1080 at 4K.

Missed the point completely. I'm saying blame the OS and your mobo not the game and the vulkan api setting for creating the stuttering. Fix certain settings as doing this may not fix the fact your mobo's IO chip sucks so you have to deal with bad settings windows forces consumers to use till you disable them.

I'm not arguing I'm saying debloat and set your system right and you might/should get different results. Otherwise like I tell all users you're stuck with a bad mobo until you get rid of it.

You could keep using opengl as well. If your vulkan performance sucks there are underlying reasons at a global level that should be fixed before the game is blamed. If the game was stuttery it would produce stuttering across the board for everyone. I"m not even close to your hardware specs but my framepacing is more solid and it's a nv based card in vulkan one that performs technically less in vulkan situation compared to your 1080.

Seriously what are people even mining these days?

Bitcoin haven't you heard.

lmimmfn

All 1060s, 1070s, 1080s and 1080Tis went out of stock here in the recent couple of weeks. Whatever 1080Tis you can find got their prices up by ~20%. Same with everything starting with RX550 on AMD's side. I know this because I'm eyeing a 1080Ti for an upgrade right now, and during recent couple of weeks miners have made this upgrade completely pointless for me - cards are just too expensive to justify a switch from a 1080.
Damn, I was also planning on getting a 1080Ti at the end of the month

Ploid 3.0

Just found out Rx 480s are selling for a lot on ebay and amazon. Should I sell mine? I paid $200 for it on a new egg sale + rebate which showed up this weekend, just recently got it too. Rx 480 8gb, I'd have a second chance at waiting for vega or something.

Just found out Rx 480s are selling for a lot on ebay and amazon. Should I sell mine? I paid $200 for it on a new egg sale + rebate which showed up this weekend, just recently got it too. Rx 480 8gb, I'd have a second chance at waiting for vega or something.

Sell it now if you aren't planning to mine yourself and want to put the profits towards a new card. We're at peak.

Ploid 3.0

Sell it now if you aren't planning to mine yourself and want to put the profits towards a new card. We're at peak.

You're the HP computer deal thread person, did you sell the card from that pc? Didn't you buy multiple? What a score if you did, crazy!

I have no idea what this mining is everyone's talking about. What are you people doing? Sounds bad.

Mining for bitcoin or whatever, which is money, and legal. Uses a lot of energy so it is only good in certain locations.

https://youtu.be/ePsXt53t8Lo?t=346

Crypto currency mining, it's called.

llien

All 1060s, 1070s, 1080s and 1080Tis went out of stock here in the recent couple of weeks. Whatever 1080Tis you can find got their prices up by ~20%.

Nothing like that in Germany. 1060 6Gb is to be had for 250 in stock, 80Ti for 700 (usual price here).
All Polaris cards are sold out.

You're the HP computer deal thread person, did you sell the card from that pc? Didn't you buy multiple? What a score if you did, crazy!

I did, I bought three of them. Gave one card to a friend. But kept the other two. Was trying to set up some friends with a nice PC to start from, but they apparently decided to wait and see what the Scorpio brings. I'm trying to sell the PC without the GPU right now, just to make my cost back, not having much luck where I live. The parts alone are still like $700+ if you tried to build it yourself before GPU.

I have no idea what this mining is everyone's talking about. What are you people doing? Sounds bad.

Mining for bitcoin or whatever, which is money, and legal. Uses a lot of energy so it is only good in certain locations.

https://youtu.be/ePsXt53t8Lo?t=346

Crypto currency mining, it's called.

Currently my mining rig is actually using less than $160w. I have 5.56 cents per KW/H because based Hydro-Electric. But, that's really the reason the Radeon cards are just so damn popular. 28-30 MH/S for 65-70w.

Take a look (Assuming the prices hold, which they probably wont, one way or another.)

Ploid 3.0

Wow even the rx 580s are out of stock. I'd have to go Nvidia if I do this. Thankfully I still have my EVGA GTX 760sc to hold me over I also have my Asus GTX 460 for the pc I planned to put the 760 in for a family member. Vega better get here quick, or maybe I crawl back to Nvidia. I think I'll only be doing this to get my money back at least, shipping, and risk of getting scammed on ebay, and ebay's cut. hmm.

If I go through with this I'll definitely wait for Vega or get 1070/1080 though (no 4k tv or monitor). I have a feeling Vega will be the better deal though, and more interesting.

These mining dedicated cards couldn't come soon enough. It sucks for people that just want a amd card for gaming, I suspect this could be bad for AMD too right? Out of stock, and they could have had a cheaper to produce (less license fee) cards out there to be able to keep supply steady alongside the real gaming cards.

Randam

Just found this thread. Totally out of the loop.

Do we have any dates, prices, benchmarks for the new AMD cards?

Melubas

I bought an MSI Gaming X 1080 ti this friday, couldn't wait any longer. Really wanted to support AMD but without any real information for 4k performance I didn't want to wait in vain.

kami_sama

I bought an MSI Gaming X 1080 ti this friday, couldn't wait any longer. Really wanted to support AMD but without any real information for 4k performance I didn't want to wait in vain.

yeah, I remember last yearish, when my 7950 died. Was going to wait for Vega (polaris didn't interest me), but decided against it and bought a 1070. A great decision considering how much time it has passed.

Just found this thread. Totally out of the loop.

Do we have any dates, prices, benchmarks for the new AMD cards?

Unfortunately no. We know they launch sometime this summer--allegedly--and that on he high end they will be competitive with the GTX 1080 and maybe trade blows with the 1080 Ti. Outside of that, no information on launch, price, availability, etc.

ZOONAMI

Ethereum. It had a massive price increase in the last couple of months so suddently there's tons of interest and everyone's buying GPUs, mainly Polaris cards.

Nah people don't use GPUs for those anymore.

Yeah I just set up nicehash and apparently I'll make about $150 profit with a 1070 after electric increase. All wind power plan so it's cool.

Actually considering grabbing another 1070. Would be about a 350w machine total which isn't bad at all. And that would come close to paying my rent every month lol. (It won't actually make that much because it really won't be running 24/7.)

And what amd chips are only using 70w?

Rx 480 only does about half as much as a 1070 Sol/s and I would think pulls the same if not more power.

Alastor

Well, I guess I have this thread (and miners) to thank for my unexpected upgrade.

I just sold my half-year old R470 4GB for a price of a new R580 8GB. Immediately ordered that second card, but there's zero in stock here and new shipments are expected at the end of the month.

Hopefully I'll manage to grab one. In the meantime, back to my old trusty 6850!

Randam

Nothing yet, on all three counts.

Unfortunately no. We know they launch sometime this summer--allegedly--and that on he high end they will be competitive with the GTX 1080 and maybe trade blows with the 1080 Ti. Outside of that, no information on launch, price, availability, etc.

On performance, I'd say what we have seen points to:

1070 < smaller Vega < 1080 < bigger Vega < 1080Ti

is there a date yet, when we will get those infos?

thelastword

Banned
On performance, I'd say what we have seen points to:

1070 < smaller Vega < 1080 < bigger Vega < 1080Ti
Smaller Vega is actually 56 ROPS and is 11 TFLOPS, with a little extra push on the clocks, it may have enough to reach 13 flops......Also with the new architecture that Vega is based on, with the pixel engine etc...it may have other features that lightens the load of old architectures and thereby increase performance even more...

FYI, as per rumors of the NV cards before launch, don't know if anything changed, they were specced at 9TF for the GTX1080, 10.8TFlops for the 1080 Ti and 11TF for the TItan XP..so take that for what it's worth....

Big Vega at 64 ROPS is pegged at 12.3 TF or so....depends on the clocks actually, but remember factory clocks are at 1600MHZ. If these Vegas can reach 1800 MHz or even 2000MHZ, they will be beasts on top of the new architecture...

PFD

Smaller Vega is actually 56 ROPS and is 11 TFLOPS, with a little extra push on the clocks, it may have enough to reach 13 flops......Also with the new architecture that Vega is based on, with the pixel engine etc...it may have other features that lightens the load of old architectures and thereby increase performance even more...

FYI, as per rumors of the NV cards before launch, don't know if anything changed, they were specced at 9TF for the GTX1080, 10.8TFlops for the 1080 Ti and 11TF for the TItan XP..so take that for what it's worth....

Big Vega at 64 ROPS is pegged at 12.3 TF or so....depends on the clocks actually, but remember factory clocks are at 1600MHZ. If these Vegas can reach 1800 MHz or even 2000MHZ, they will be beasts on top of the new architecture...

Sure but comparing FLOPS between AMD and nVidia doesn't lead to any meaningful conclusions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sure but comparing FLOPS between AMD and nVidia doesn't lead to any meaningful conclusions

Yeah. Take the 980 Ti and Fury X, for instance: the latter has a 3TF "advantage" but, generally speaking, is pipped by the former at 1440p or below and only lands slightly ahead at 4K.

In other words, get hype!

In a subsequent tweet, he elaborated that the reason why AMD delayed Vega was to make enough units for it to not be a paper launch.

Of course, AMD releasing a new graphics card generation in the middle/tail end of a cryptocurrency mining boom? It's going to inevitably be a paper launch.

dr_rus

VEGA(1).jpg

https://exxactcorp.com/index.php/product/prod_detail/2565

So it seems that 1.6 GHz Vega FE consume 375W. Consumer cards will probably be clocked lower than that.

Two Vega cards are listed at Scan UK and Sabre PC: the air-cooled version and liquid version of Vega Frontier. Both are listed with the exact same specifications. The new part is 13.1 TFLOPs FP32 compute performance. In other words, Vega Frontier has GPU clock of 1600 MHz.

Both cards are equipped with 16GB HBM2 memory and Vega 10 GPU with 4096 Stream Processors. Frontier Edition has four display outputs: 3x DisplayPort and HDMI

The Radeon Vega Frontier Liquid will be available for $1,799 USD, while the air-cooled edition will retail at $1,199 USD. Both models are in stock at one of the retailers.
Source - Videocardz

That's a bit more pricey than I was hoping for.

thelastword

Banned
No, same exact clock for the Frontier Edition cards. So weird.
EDIT ADDED: At least that's how I'm seeing it.
Doesn't make sense though, that would essentially mean that you're paying about $600.00 just for the air cooling...And why would the TDP be higher on water if it's just hitting the same clocks as the air cooled unit....It can only mean one thing tbh....Ehhhh, just visited Wccftech...

"The second card has also been shown and comes in a brushed golden texture on the shroud. It features the same logos but those come with blue LED lighting. The card is exactly the same aside from the fact that it will feature liquid cooling as shown by the tubing extended out of the front. The liquid cooled model ships with a TDP of 375W which is 75W higher than the air cooled variant but will operate at much faster speeds due to extra cooling."

Link

dr_rus

Aren't the liquid cooled cards clocked significantly higher?

They don't actually show clocks, they show peak math throughput which is achieved at ~1.6GHz in case of Vega 10. It's completely logical to assume that peak math throughput will be achieved at peak power usage which is 375W in the same spreadsheet. Air cooled version will probably be able to hit the same peak throughput in some cases but will be significantly slower when looking at sustained figures. This is also somewhat hinted at by the price difference between AC and WC versions which is $600 - such difference makes sense only if the WC version will be significantly faster in practice.

The spreadsheet is also a bit misleading in Titan Xp comparison again as it doesn't actually show peak math throughput for Titan Xp but the sustained one, derived from its rated boost clocks while the card runs significantly higher than that in practice (~14.5 Tflops peak FP32).

Hesemonni

Banned
The assumption was that Vega was going to have really short supply also? I mean now miners buying all the cards again good luck getting a decent Radeon anytime soon.

dr_rus

Btw, I was looking at the Vega engineering codenames and it occurred to me that these look pretty close to what was announced / is expected right now:

cAxc.png

Code:
6863:00 	8GB 	1000 	?
6861:00 	16GB 	1000 	700
These two looks like they are a good fit for that new iMac announced several weeks ago. Low clocks and the same clocks across both models (hinting at them being used in the same cooling environment) and also a 16GB model which is not FE.

Code:
687F:C3 	8GB 	1200 	700
687F:C1 	8GB 	1500 	925
And these look awfully close to what you'd expect from a 4096 SPs GCN chip which is trying to compete with GTX 1070 (with some CUs disabled for defects) and GTX 1080.

So it's true - 300W TDP for slower one (1500MHz) and previous leak had water cooled one at 375W

And at 1500MHz it has whopping 0,3TF more than full GP102 Titan officially has.

This makes even Fury X look like successful design - at least Fury X could outperform reference 980ti in few games.
Looks like Vega is going to struggle even in Doom or Sniper Elite to match 1080ti just going by pure TF number.

Which puts AMD 500mm^2 die HBM2 300W gpus as direct competitor with midrange GP104.

Top Bottom