• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX Vega thread

Thraktor

Vega 56 orders have just gone up. Anyone who's in Europe and interested in one should check Scan.co.uk, who have them for £379, which at the current £/€ exchange rate is about €410, which is likely the cheapest you'll see it at for a while (of course you have to put up with the stock cooler, though). Stock probably won't last long, though.

Edit: Overclockers.co.uk have them for the same price of £379, for anyone looking.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Vega 56 orders have just gone up. Anyone who's in Europe and interested in one should check Scan.co.uk, who have them for £379, which at the current £/€ exchange rate is about €410, which is likely the cheapest you'll see it at for a while (of course you have to put up with the stock cooler, though). Stock probably won't last long, though.

Edit: Overclockers.co.uk have them for the same price of £379, for anyone looking.

So about £400 for a custom one later down the line? I was hoping they'd be a bit cheaper :(

The Guy In Red

Neo Member
Guys, I managed to get the Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8 GB GDDR5X for £230 through a pricing error about 3 weeks ago. Currently running it with a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU.

I'm finding the GPU to be fantastic but is it worth returning the GPU to buy one of the Vegas?

Engell

Guys, I managed to get the Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8 GB GDDR5X for £230 through a pricing error about 3 weeks ago. Currently running it with a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU.

I'm finding the GPU to be fantastic but is it worth returning the GPU to buy one of the Vegas?

ehh.. no

Marmelade

Is that a joke or...?
In case you're serious, no it's not.

Yeah yeah man, you can send it to me for £230.

LOL, no you're good.

Lmao no

You got a steal, keep it. 1080 wipes the floor with vega performance per watt

V_Arnold

Seems about right. Pretty much a "don't buy unless you really want FreeSync or hate Nvidia for whatever reason" card.

What? Tell me how a Vega 56 is a worse choice than its price-competitor, the 1070. (To be clear, if 1070 was selling for its MSRP value, I would prefer that over 56.)

ethomaz

Banned
Guys, I managed to get the Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8 GB GDDR5X for £I'm not sure why you quoted me because these are not improved textures. through a pricing error about 3 weeks ago. Currently running it with a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU.

Is this a joke?

Engell

What? Tell me how a Vega 56 is a worse choice than its price-competitor, the 1070. (To be clear, if 1070 was selling for its MSRP value, I would prefer that over 56.)

Just remember that the price you see now, is most likely not the actual price the card will have in the future. Looks like when they run out of stock on this item the price will be slightly different.

VcKQTvh.png

But yes at this current price, it's a good deal

Just remember that the price you see now, is most likely not the actual price the card will have in the future. Looks like when they run out of stock on this item the price will be slightly different.

But yes at this current price, it's a good deal

The one for £482.99 has Wolfenstein 2 and Prey, the one for £383.99 does not.

Thraktor

So about £400 for a custom one later down the line? I was hoping they'd be a bit cheaper :(

£400 at least. Graphics card prices (particularly AMD) are crazy right now, and Vega stocks seem to be quite limited for the time being. If/when ethereum mining crashes things might settle down again, but who knows how long that would take.

Personally I grabbed one because I want to move to a 1440p adaptive sync monitor, and Vega 56 + Freesync monitor will be about €100 cheaper for me than 1070 + G-Sync. That said, if you don't have or plan to buy a Freesync monitor, you may as well just pick up a 1070. There's a Zotac model with an aftermarket cooler going for £349 at the moment, and I'd say it'll be a while before you can get a non-reference Vega 56 for that.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
£400 at least. Graphics card prices (particularly AMD) are crazy right now, and Vega stocks seem to be quite limited for the time being. If/when ethereum mining crashes things might settle down again, but who knows how long that would take.

Personally I grabbed one because I want to move to a 1440p adaptive sync monitor, and Vega 56 + Freesync monitor will be about €100 cheaper for me than 1070 + G-Sync. That said, if you don't have or plan to buy a Freesync monitor, you may as well just pick up a 1070. There's a Zotac model with an aftermarket cooler going for £349 at the moment, and I'd say it'll be a while before you can get a non-reference Vega 56 for that.

I have a 144Hz/1080p Freesync monitor, so my thinking is get a V56 so I can hit that 100 - 144fps sweet spot more often, as well as gaining Freesync but for £400 - £425 for a "proper" card I just can't do it, I don't have that sort of money. I will have to wait awhile and see if the prices settles down a bit in the future. My GTX 970 will have to do for awhile longer, and honestly my whole PC needs replacing really, my 3570k is starting to feel its age at times. If I had the cash I'd go for a nice Ryzen/Vega build which would be about £1100 for everything including a new case which I'm in dire need of, mine is about 10 years old.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

My comments were more about the Vega 64 (I should've specified), but why are you assuming that the Vega 56 will be available at its MSRP anytime soon and that the 1070 won't immediately come back down in price to combat against it if it does?

Thraktor

I have a 144Hz/1080p Freesync monitor, so my thinking is get a V56 so I can hit that 100 - 144fps sweet spot more often, as well as gaining Freesync but for £400 - £425 for a "proper" card I just can't do it, I don't have that sort of money. I will have to wait awhile and see if the prices settles down a bit in the future. My GTX 970 will have to do for awhile longer, and honestly my whole PC needs replacing really, my 3570k is starting to feel its age at times. If I had the cash I'd go for a nice Ryzen/Vega build which would be about £1100 for everything including a new case which I'm in dire need of, mine is about 10 years old.

I feel like Vega is a bit of a waste for 1080p, and if you're looking for 100fps+ you'll be CPU limited with the 3570k in a lot of games anyway. You're probably best off saving up for a full new build, and to be honest a 970 is still a pretty solid card at 1080p for the time being in any case.

V_Arnold

My comments were more about the Vega 64 (I should've specified), but why are you assuming that the Vega 56 will be available at its MSRP anytime soon and that the 1070 won't immediately come back down in price to combat against it if it does?

Its price is due to the mining craze AFAIK, same with Rx4/5xx lineup. Therefore, the pricing is not controlled by either nvidia/amd. The higher power consumption might make Vega less attractive to miners.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Vega is a bit of a waste for 1080p, and if you're looking for 100fps+ you'll be CPU limited with the 3570k in a lot of games anyway. You're probably best off saving up for a full new build, and to be honest a 970 is still a pretty solid card at 1080p for the time being in any case.

I dunno... I bet that 3570k with a decent overclock combined with a Vega 56 would get him to his desired 100+ FPS in a lot of games at 1080p Ultra. It would definitely be a big improvement over the GTX 970 and allow him to take advantage of FreeSync even when it's not over 100 FPS. I think it would be a pretty significant upgrade for him since he already has the monitor. The 3570k is more than sufficient for most modern games, especially with an overclock.

hitme

Anyone else got a 56 earlier? I feel I'm the only person in GAF that managed to get one.

I may wait a week or two since I got one backordered from Amazon.

Thraktor

I dunno... I bet that 3570k with a decent overclock combined with a Vega 56 would get him to his desired 100+ FPS in a lot of games at 1080p Ultra. It would definitely be a big improvement over the GTX 970 and allow him to take advantage of FreeSync even when it's not over 100 FPS. I think it would be a pretty significant upgrade for him since he already has the monitor. The 3570k is more than sufficient for most modern games, especially with an overclock.

It really depends on the games. I haven't seen recent benchmarks of the 3570k, but I'd imagine it would be a bottleneck in games like Watch Dogs 2 and ARMA 3, while he should be able to hit 100+FPS in Battlefield 1 and Doom. Freesync would definitely be a benefit regardless, and I'd almost recommend selling the 970 and side-grading to a RX 580 just for Freesync, if they weren't so crazily overpriced at the moment.

Anyone else got a 56 earlier? I feel I'm the only person in GAF that managed to get one.

I may wait a week or two since I got one backordered from Amazon.

I ordered one from Scan, should be shipping later this week if all goes well. I'll have to slum it on a 1080p/60Hz monitor for a month or two, though, until I have the cash to make the jump to 1440p/144Hz/Freesync.

joesiv

raja_koduri_and_scott_herkelman_-_radeon_rx_vega-42.png

You should probably call Raja and tell him to fix the slide then.

What does that slide have to do with anything? The pack (what your slide is detailing), was always $100 more, though it is true that the liquid version was a forced pack purchase.

Also, AMD has stated that vendors are not locked into allocations of standalone or not, they can make adjustments where necessary.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gamersnexus Destiny 2 beta test
unfortunately Vega is not looking so good in this game with current drivers

Looks a bit better without FXAA use at high settings

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/3037-destiny-2-gpu-benchmark-frametimes-graphics-optimization

AA and shadow detail in particular seem to be performance killers in Destiny 2.

I was able to get the game running at 4K/60FPS on my Ryzen/Vega computer last night. Had to go with FXAA and drop the shadows to Medium, but everything else was a mixture of High or Highest. Looked really good.

I later played it on my i7 6700k/GTX 1080 machine, but it was on a 1080p 144hz G-Sync monitor. Even with everything maxed out (except AA set to FXAA), I was easily able to hold over 120 fps. The game seems really well optimized, and considering the partnership with Nvidia, I think we should expect performance to be better there in general. Hopefully AMD can make some improvements with drivers later.

dr_rus

What does that slide have to do with anything? The pack (what your slide is detailing), was always $100 more, though it is true that the liquid version was a forced pack purchase.

Also, AMD has stated that vendors are not locked into allocations of standalone or not, they can make adjustments where necessary.

This slide has to do with the fact that it is from AMD and it clearly says "free games" on itself.

destiny 2 is a gameworks title now, isn't it?

Not really. There's nothing from Gameworks in current Destiny 2 build. It's even using HDAO which is an AMD made AO solution instead of HBAO+.

My guess would be that AMD is suffering there mostly because of their crappy D3D11 driver again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if this applies to other AMD cards, but it seems like idtech 5 games like Wolfenstein and The Evil Within are busted on the latest version of Windows 10 with Vega cards.

Framerates are dogshit and they won't run in full screen unless on the native screen resolution.

I wanted to play these games in 4K in preparation for their sequels, but it sure as shit isn't happening on a Vega 64 with the current drivers. I would have settled for 1440p, but the games don't run in full screen. Well, that sure was a waste of bandwidth downloading them :(

looks like if you flash your vega 56 with a 64 bios it will roughly become a 64 / 1080 level card. the extra 8 shader cores won't unlock, but the power limit will increase from 225 W to 300 W (respectively from 340 to 450 W at + 50% power target ) and the clock ceiling will be higher, which leads to higher max but more importantly higher avarage clock speeds, hence the card won't be running into it's power limit all the time. mind: power and heat output will increase to 64 levels also.

563muhc.png

also looks like the artifical clock limit for the memory will be solved that way.

RX-Vega-56-with-64-BIOS.jpg

https://videocardz.com/72299/amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-gets-faster-with-vega-64-bios

my 56 should be ariving tomorrow. will probably try this sometime next week.

Not really. There's nothing from Gameworks in current Destiny 2 build. It's even using HDAO which is an AMD made AO solution instead of HBAO+.

My guess would be that AMD is suffering there mostly because of their crappy D3D11 driver again.

3DAO is something new and apparently proprietary. Neither Nvidia nor AMD seem to have had a hand in that but it looks pretty great.

Destiny 2 is DX11 and so AMD GPU is going to have problems compared with Nvidia in this game. Also because of how it spawns threads, using up to 8 threads completely ignoring SMT, CPUs with more cores but less single-thread performance are not doing very well. Something about Ryzen chokes on Destiny 2, it could be the memory bandwidth or the Infinity Fabric or who knows what but right now AMD CPUs are really not having a good time.

With my 5820K and 1080 Ti, Destiny 2 runs like a dream. There are advantages to owning products made by the market leaders which you know the developers will be testing against in their development cycle.

x3sphere

3DAO is something new and apparently proprietary. Neither Nvidia nor AMD seem to have had a hand in that but it looks pretty great.

Destiny 2 is DX11 and so AMD GPU is going to have problems compared with Nvidia in this game. Also because of how it spawns threads, using up to 8 threads completely ignoring SMT, CPUs with more cores but less single-thread performance are not doing very well. Something about Ryzen chokes on Destiny 2, it could be the memory bandwidth or the Infinity Fabric or who knows what but right now AMD CPUs are really not having a good time.

With my 5820K and 1080 Ti, Destiny 2 runs like a dream. There are advantages to owning products made by the market leaders which you know the developers will be testing against in their development cycle.

CPU wise Destiny does not seem to be well optimized on intel either for what it's worth. It's not well threaded. i3 6100 is not far behind a 5960X looking at the graphs here...

http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/destiny-beta-test-gpu-cpu

In the end though nearly all CPUs are pushing over 100 fps or close to it so it's probably perfectly playable for most.

oh come on. that a bug with the depth of field effect as Richard said before. you can find the reverse situation in almost every other game, when you look for it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
oh come on. that a bug with the depth of field effect as Richard said before. you can find the reverse situation in almost every other game, when you look for it.

I do wonder if AMD will bother to go back and fix it, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm baffled that AMD can give Nvidia an 18 month head start and still release this thing as half-baked and unfinished as it clearly is. Vega is basically Steam Early Access Hardware judging by the state of drivers at this point.

Sadly seems that way :(

I'm mostly pleased with the performance when things work, but there are definitely some "teething issues" that are frustrating considering how much I paid for this damn thing. Really hope AMD gets their drivers sorted, but given their history I guess I won't get my hopes up too much.

ISee

Gamer Nexus Vega 56 hybrid at 400w (hardware mod)

https://youtu.be/KD9CRQp2YpA

Able to reach ~1730 MHz stable and outperforms a GTX 1080 reference card (no oc) at nearly double the power consumption. The big takeaway is that clock speeds are more important for Vega then the amount of shaders. A Vega 56 with +50% power (no modding needed) is able to compete with a Vega 64 card.

kuYuri

Probably needs a driver for that game. On the flip side I'm running Prey at 1440p at max settings with avg 100 frames. The power in this card is great, it runs really well with PUBG with the new driver as well.

Prey is a fairly lower demanding AAA game when compared to others out there.

With that said, I think Vega's performance is fine. It just looks bad when you consider that Pascal came out so long ago and after all the waiting, this is the best AMD could do after building all that hype.

I think it's best to wait for AIB cards unless you have an ITX build and get yourself a nice Freesync monitor for prospective Vega buyers.

Top Bottom