• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX Vega thread

I'm glad I convinced my friend to bite the bullet and get a 1070 back in January (he was using my old 6950 in the meantime). He was worried about Vega coming out shortly afterward but yeah, not really a problem.

My last couple GPUs have been Nvidia (1070, 970) but I'd be keen on an AMD product again. Just wish it weren't so slooooooow to roll out.

I'm glad I convinced my friend to bite the bullet and get a 1070 back in January (he was using my old 6950 in the meantime). He was worried about Vega coming out shortly afterward but yeah, not really a problem.

My last couple GPUs have been Nvidia (1070, 970) but I'd be keen on an AMD product again. Just wish it weren't so slooooooow to roll out.
If they werent banking so hard on HBM in the consumer space we would have Vega by now.

I swear RTG makes some really dumb decisions :l

So in db super terms how powerful is rx vega?

Can I give you DC levels?

ColorlessNeighboringFireant.gif

Pooya

That was such a worthless presentation. They didn't give any insight in what new things they are doing with these products, instead they're like wow look at this so awesome, 32 threads in task manager you look at that! You don't have to enter technicalities for that, this was less informative than a product label.

so threadripper must be like $2000, that was a veeery large CPU.

That was such a worthless presentation. They didn't give any insight in what new things they are doing with these products, instead they're like they like wow look at this so awesome, 32 threads in task manager your look at that! You don't have to enter technicalities for that, this was less informative than a product label.

Blender is the new Ashes of Singularity yo.

ViciousDS

Banned
That was such a worthless presentation. They didn't give any insight in what new things they are doing with these products, instead they're like wow look at this so awesome, 32 threads in task manager you look at that! You don't have to enter technicalities for that, this was less informative than a product label.

so threadripper must be like $2000, that was a veeery large CPU.

the only worthy part of the conference was how nice the graphs are finally. They all seem well proportioned for once.

I actually didn't like that they demoed the gaming vega GPUs with the thread ripper. To me it implies that crossfire would be needed to compete with nvidia high end offers.

The Vega + Threadripper demo made no sense cause it was all look at these tiny performance windows.

No numbers or comparisons to existing tech to gauge performance.

And well we all know how laughable that Prey demo was.

With or without HDM they're not taking Nvidia's crown on the high end anytime soon.

Sadly.
Well thats been known.

Problem is that would have been okay if they launched sooner. We're not seeing Vega until August, a couple months before Volta comes out and AMD's chip won't even be better than Pascal.

Its always timing that they fuck up on more than anything else.

So, now I'm back to a RX 480/580 vs used 980ti for the time being (I plan to get a 21:9 1080p).

I could get a Vega later this year, but I probably will wait for Volta.

ROTFL

The 980ti is much faster but you'll need to make sure it's in decent shape and hasn't been overclocked too hard.

It seems that Vega will be dead on arrival. I just don't see how they can compete with Nvidia in the high end market. I also saw their laptop gaming line up. I saw a massive laptop that only has a 4GB rx 580 which is only slightly faster than the GTX 1060 you can find in compact gaming laptops.

FingerBang

The 980ti is much faster but you'll need to make sure it's in decent shape and hasn't been overclocked too hard.

Yeah, the 580 is close to a 1060, while a 980ti is a bit behind a 1070 stock for stock.

For 2560x1080@60fps I think the RX580 is probably enough (and I could use freesync) but knowing I could get a much more powerful 980ti for the same price...

But yeah, I'll probably visit a few used shops and see what they have.

Locuza

Ok so I missed this.

Any price/power/release date for Vega?
Price, no.
Power, no, aside from the already known ~12,5 TF FP32 throughput.
Date, Vega Frontiers Edition in June 27th, RX Gamer Vega around Siggraph from the 30th July to the 3rd August.

Newboi

No, 25TF for frontier, No.

That 25TF number was probably related to FP16 performance, so the FP32 performance will be around 13TF.

I definitely had a feeling that AMD would wait to formally reveal RX VEGA after the launch of the frontier edition.

I thought it was hilarious that they demonstrated the power of the RX VEGA by using 2 cards to run Prey...

rtcn63

For 2560x1080@60fps I think the RX580 is probably enough (and I could use freesync) but knowing I could get a much more powerful 980ti for the same price...

But yeah, I'll probably visit a few used shops and see what they have.

If you're doing anything above 1920x1080, I'd recommend the 980ti unless you're okay with medium settings in more demanding titles down the line. The 580/1060 can do between medium and ultra at 1080p *currently* depending on the game (and CPU paired with it).

scoobs

Ya, doesn't bode super well for the card if it can't run Prey at 4K w/ a decent frame rate. That game isn't even very demanding.

That was one of the least impressive "reveals" i have ever seen.

Top Bottom