• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Silvergun XBLA Launches Sept 14!

ctrayne

Gaspode_T said:
they are all awesome in their own way so try to not impose your bias upon others unless you really have a vendetta against a small niche genre that needs all the love it can get
Thanks for saying this, I agree.

ccharla

I'm very excited that this date has been released!

By the way, if you are a Treasure / RSG fan, Microsoft Studios worked with Mr. Maegawa at Treasure to create a small number of signed art prints to celebrate the launch of the game on Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Normally these types of things just go to the press, but in this case, we are saving about 1/3 of the total number to give directly to Treasure fans.

The full image will be released later (probably via our @playxbla Twitter feed) but you can see Mr. Maegawa signing them in this pic:

rs_maegawa.jpg

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ccharla said:

By the way, if you are a Treasure / RSG fan, Microsoft Studios worked with Mr. Maegawa at Treasure to create a small number of signed art prints to celebrate the launch of the game on Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Normally these types of things just go to the press, but in this case, we are saving about 1/3 of the total number to give directly to Treasure fans.

The full image will be released later (probably via our @playxbla Twitter feed) but you can see Mr. Maegawa signing them in this pic:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh99/ccharla/rs_maegawa.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

dude doesn't age much... how do we enter to win or whatever?

Dave Long

Banned
ccharla said:

rs_maegawa.jpg
Wow. That is super cool. How will they be given away?

ccharla

levious said:
dude doesn't age much... how do we enter to win or whatever?

We haven't finalized the contest rules yet, but I'll post here or in the OT (if there is one) once we know.

There are only a few dozen of these prints available, and we want them to go to people who really love Treasure and RSG, so we want to do something special.

LiK

ccharla said:
We haven't finalized the contest rules yet, but I'll post here or in the OT (if there is one) once we know.

There are only a few dozen of these prints available, and we want them to go to people who really love Treasure and RSG, so we want to do something special.

ME FIRST!

Theonik

Dave Long said:
Wow. That is super cool. How will they be given away?
Hopefully not twitter!
Edit:
ccharla said:

Sounds good.

ccharla said:

I'll post my treasure collection :)

SOME-MIST

Smision said:
Ikaruga is up on XBL

then:
--Raiden 4
--Deathsmiles 1
--Deathsmiles 2 (only on games on demand, no retail)
--See the cave shooter thread for a list of region free modern Cave games
ikaruga on XBL sucks, but a new player to the series can't really tell. the timing/scoring/spawn times are off compared to the GC and DC versions. I remember my first hands on with it I was somewhat disappointed.
Tho, for someone new to ikaruga, it's much more user friendly since you can start off from the furthest stage you've beaten. I guess it doesn't matter if you're just playing for survival and not trying to compete for score.

regarding cave games - even tho everything but original mode is brutal, futari is a good introduction to the danmaku genre. It's just an all around solid experience.
I think guwange and deathsmiles have the most interesting mechanics (other than akai katana which is region-locked) and are also good introductions as well.

I have mixed feelings about Raiden 4 :/

as for RSG, I'm happy to finally be able to play it with my HRAP EX-SE. Lets just hope it's a better port than ikaruga XBLA or I might just have to stick to the saturn version.

0 HP

Ikaruga was probably one of the easiest shmups I've ever played (normal difficulty w/o chaining). It always amazes me when people go on about it because honestly I'm not even that good at most games lol

XLant

Neo Member
diffusionx said:
It doesn't suck but it's not as good as the hype suggests.
No game can match that level of unrealistic hype.

Game is fun as hell, and it's always good to see something relatively obscure make a big comeback.

Videogames need Treasure.

kaioshade

Radiant Silvergun is pure bliss. I have sank more hours into that game than any other shooter. Save for Possibly ESPGaluda II

Gaspode_T

Ikaruga is still kicking my ass...so hard to play through the "real" mode with no continues and default setting, I keep making stupid mistakes on Stage 3. I want to be able to go to the Sega arcade in Akihabara and play through this game one 100 yen :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Oemenia said:
Ikaruga was a major disappointment to Treasure or even hardcore SHMUP fans, its far from being the greatest shooter either.

Radiant Silvergun is the very pinnacle of the genre.
lol, wow.

I'm not going to pretend that I didn't enjoy this game. Heck, I think it was worth the $130 that I paid for it. But lol.

Ikaruga doesn't punish you for ignoring its chaining system, and its chaining system is a lot more fun and better thought-out than RSG's to begin with. Ikaruga gets better and more impressive the more you play it. The reverse is true of its predecessor. RSG isn't half the game Ikaruga is.

But that speaks more about how much I love Ikaruga than anything else. RSG is still a great game and I'm on board for this release just to see what they've done with it this time around.

discoalucard said:
You can't really do that with Radiant Silvergun - it wasn't made for the hyper scoring, 1 cc mentality.
This is literally false. Directly contradicted by the game's director in interviews (that I am too lazy to search for and link at the moment). The entire reason that weapon levels are tied to score is that they wanted to try and force the player's hand into playing the game seriously. Fuck, the voiceover on the final stage is supposedly some hilarious BS metaphor for the death and rebirth of the game industry and how this game is a love letter to hardcore gamers who love to play these kinds of game over and over again to get better. Not even joking.

I'll agree with you about the Saturn Mode being the only sensible way to play this game (but without using the save feature). The Arcade Mode is stripped-down to shorten the total length of the game. It has nothing special going for it.

kaioshade

ikaruga may not have punished you for lack of chaining, but trying to get any decent grade at the end of a stage required you to almost chain like a GOD.

Gaspode_T

kaioshade said:
ikaruga may not have punished you for lack of chaining, but trying to get any decent grade at the end of a stage required you to almost chain like a GOD.

Even on the first stage of Ikaruga there are some moments where trying to chain in a fancy way is likely to get you killed, let's say you want to shoot opposite polarity, suddenly a flood of bullets is coming at you from the other side and you actually have to dodge them instead of soaking them up with same polarity if you are not worrying about chaining. That's the beauty of the risk/reward system, if you don't care and you just want to play through it casually, you technically can. I'm not sure about RSG, but I think it will be similar where 95% of the people who play it will not care about chaining at all and just want to survive. Some of the Japanese players who play shmups literally play nothing but that single game for months on end, putting 100s of hours into a single game. Obviously that is not the majority of the XBLA market, so I don't think it's fair to turn people off of the game by warning them about something they likely won't care about anyway...

Tain

Sixfortyfive said:
This is literally false. Directly contradicted by the game's director in interviews (that I am too lazy to search for and link at the moment). The entire reason that weapon levels are tied to score is that they wanted to try and force the player's hand into playing the game seriously. Fuck, the voiceover on the final stage is supposedly some hilarious BS metaphor for the death and rebirth of the game industry and how this game is a love letter to hardcore gamers who love to play these kinds of game over and over again to get better. Not even joking.

lol, that is wild.

I take back what I've said in the past re: this game's length, I think. Saturn mode without saving does sound like the way to go, assuming the difficulty curve is smooth throughout.

andymcc

Banned
Tain said:
I take back what I've said in the past re: this game's length, I think. Saturn mode without saving does sound like the way to go, assuming the difficulty curve is smooth throughout.

i still can't get behind a chaining/combo system that pretty much forces you to not shoot in a shooter. the level design is very remedial and uninspired in comparison to the awe-inspiring bosses. (how many times have i mentioned how much i want a boss rush mode?)

Daigoro

looking forward to picking this up.

not even close to my favorite Treasure game or shmup, but i feel 100% required to purchase this asap.

also, i love Merry dogs. i want a t-shirt with a Merry dog on it.

I usually am one not to complain about too many good games being released around the same timeframe but dam why did they have to release so close to so many other titles. I just spent the majority of my points on third strike. Guess I'm off to buy a points card tomorrow.

Upon reading the thread title, my balls dropped. On the 14th I will truly become a man. I've waited years Treasure. I can't waitto find all of those psycho-ass dogs again.

It's been too long good friend, far too long.

Daigoro

I Push Fat Kids said:
2 questions:

1) Which is the better of the two Raiden games on the system?

2) Game is 800, right?

Raiden Fighter Aces is one of the finest collection of shmups ever. it has 3 games and they are all better than IV. IV is decent though, a good buy for cheap.

Pug said:
RS pissed all over Ikaruga back in the day and guess what? It still does.

k

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Do we have official confirmation that this date is for a universal release? Patrick Klepek tweeted that this date is for the Japanese store, as far as he knows. Hopefully, it comes out for the US and other countries too, but don't want to get people hyped and then have it not be available on that day in their region.

I Push Fat Kids said:
2 questions:

1) Which is the better of the two Raiden games on the system?

2) Game is 800, right?

Raiden Fighters Aces, since it comes with Raiden Fighters Jet and that game is boss.

Gaspode_T

Eggo said:
Do we have official confirmation that this date is for a universal release? Patrick Klepek tweeted that this date is for the Japanese store, as far as he knows. Hopefully, it comes out for the US and other countries too, but don't want to get people hyped and then have it not be available on that day in their region.

I think you can rest assured, the other way happened recently (Torchlight wasn't released in Japan even though they said it would be) but I am 99.999999999999999999% sure it is coming out in US on Sept 14th. Or Mr. Charla can confirm here if he is so kind as to do so :)

Reversed

Gaspode_T said:
I think you can rest assured, the other way happened recently (Torchlight wasn't released in Japan even though they said it would be) but I am 99.999999999999999999% sure it is coming out in US on Sept 14th. Or Mr. Charla can confirm here if he is so kind as to do so :)

"Our frothing demand for this game increases."

Seriously, though. better "Be Praying." RSG got rated by the ESRB, and Microsoft Studios is in charge of publishing (I think). I'm also wondering that, if released here, is going to have dubbed scenes.

Tain

I actually don't own RFA. Question for RFA owners:

Do you know how the game handles speed/timing? Like, are there timing options in the options menus? All the games in that package were meant to update at 54hz, which is a HUGE leap from 60hz, so I can only assume that they were either heavily reprogrammed, they visually stutter a little bit, or they run a chunk faster than the arcade originals.

andymcc said:
i still can't get behind a chaining/combo system that pretty much forces you to not shoot in a shooter. the level design is very remedial and uninspired in comparison to the awe-inspiring bosses. (how many times have i mentioned how much i want a boss rush mode?)

I don't know if I'll ever get into the chaining, yeah. In the past, though, I've said that the game is simply "too long". It might be true in this case, but there's nothing inherently wrong about a longer shooter, is what I meant.

Reversed said:
"Our frothing demand for this game increases."

Seriously, though. better "Be Praying." RSG got rated by the ESRB, and Microsoft Studios is in charge of publishing (I think). I'm also wondering that, if released here, is going to have dubbed scenes.

It has to be Subbed.... HAS TO. :mad:

Reversed

Subbed for those who enjoy hearing japanese VAs (Creator the robot and its paused voice sounds funny for me). Dubbing it would be a nice plus, but I don't consider it essential.

epmode

Tain said:
I actually don't own RFA. Question for RFA owners:

Do you know how the game handles speed/timing? Like, are there timing options in the options menus?
GAME SPEED - 60 FPS/54 FPS (BLEND)/54 FPS (TRUE)/54 FPS (WAIT)

edit: That's for the Japanese version. I'm pretty sure the US release is identical but I haven't confirmed.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
andymcc said:
The game practically is a boss rush already. It's at least 50% of the game.

Lord-Audie said:
It has to be Subbed.... HAS TO. :mad:
There was a fandub a few years ago that was of surprisingly good quality, actually.

Dave Long

Banned
epmode said:
GAME SPEED - 60 FPS/54 FPS (BLEND)/54 FPS (TRUE)/54 FPS (WAIT)

edit: That's for the Japanese version. I'm pretty sure the US release is identical but I haven't confirmed.
I haven't played in awhile, but that's what I remember from the US release as well. RFA is worth every penny!

Top Bottom