• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

I gotta say, I was on the fence about this game for a while, but decided to pick it up after playing the demo, and I'm having trouble putting it down. Really loving this game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Unfortunately as of right now the only solution is by manually fixing the problem ourselves.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

Wait until there's a sale on it again though. Newegg had this on sale for around 89.00 dollars a few days ago.

Apparently solid state drives make a world of difference for games that use texture streaming tech like Rage.

SSD

HDD

Thanks for this.

Still a little gross even with the SSD... but much better than the HDD.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I snagged this for $19 on Amazon for the PS3 version the other day. I enioyed the demo, hopefully the full game holds up.

nym

Neo Member
Wish for DLC - more Legends of the Wasteland and DM/TDM/CTF modes. Legends of the Wasteland is a blast. I will say that 30% of the coop games I played online were total lagfests which I suspect would translate to any type of competitive online game. Beat this awhile ago, really just holding on to it hoping for any type of worthwhile dlc...

Nekrono

Is this game fixed now? Does it perform well on an AMD card? Were the texture issues sorted out?

I'm thinking on buying this on today's sale on Steam.

Decado

Yes, it has been fixed since a couple days post-launch. You should be good to go.
So what kind of rig do you need to play this with graphics that look better than the 360?

I'd like to bite, but worry about performance issues with my decent (but buggy) PC. I don't have a HD for my 360, either (and don't want to pay a lot for one).

1-D_FTW

This game needs DM. I finished up the SP not too long ago, around 13 hours on normal with all races complete and a majority of the side quests, and frankly I have little interest in online car combat. (I am apparently not alone.)

The shooting in this game is the star; it's why you want to play -- it's simply fun to shoot shit in Rage.

So, of course, there is no MP where I can shoot my friends. Go figure.

Yup. And that's why it's always nice when a side mission has a meaty mission accompanying it. The more of those situations, the better. The shooting scenarios are so fun.

lordy88

So I bought Rage at the sweet $15 price from Steam thinking that I would be able to rock the shit out of this game with my awesome gaming right.

I thought wrong.

I didn't realize there were so many issues surrounding texture popping and simply getting textures to work with ATI 5850 HD cards. It took a good hour or two researching the steam forums, rebooting my machine, downloading this driver, removing that driver, etc. until I finally removed the checkerboard random textures, and then I had to mess around with the config file to get any sort of playable graphics that didn't involve an immense load of texture popping.

Problem is that I had to lower the texture resolution tremendously to make the game look smooth, which sucks immensely. I was really looking forward to push this game to its max, especially given that it is an ID Tech 5 game, meaning it would be quite a gorgeous game to experience.

Okay. So all of that aside, I decided to tackle the game in its sub-par graphical potential, and after soaking in a good 5 hours tonight (and not realizing so much time had passed!) I'm starting to REALLY get sucked into the game.

Lots of stuff to upgrade, many jobs (quests) to complete, shooting things IS FUCKING AWESOME (Fatboys are INCREDIBLE), the buggy isn't nearly as bad as I expected (I'm actually getting enjoyment out of it!), and the whole experience is very rewarding. I definitely understand the huge Borderlands vs. Rage comparisons, as there is only two main differences between each game's approach: Borderlands adds lootable guns and a skill tree/level up system. Outside of that, you have the same quest system, buggy experience, incredible similar over-world, and familiar feel.

Anyway, great game, and while I am a bit upset that the graphical side of the coin has been essentially ignored by the ID team for months (after their initial patch which did very little), they execute a lot very well and is making for a very pleasant surprise.

Good shit.

Mxrz

I kept running out of ammo in the demo, even after corpse-checking. Does that happen a lot in the full game too?

unomas

Banned
I'm interested in Rage especially for $19, but no online FPS multiplayer is a big no no for me. Online car combat? Ehhhh.....and I just got $125 in Amazon gift cards for Christmas, guess I'll be waiting for 2012's big games.

commissar

I kept running out of ammo in the demo, even after corpse-checking. Does that happen a lot in the full game too?
Could do if you're spamming all the time, but you can sell the other loot and purchase more ammo (as well as upgrades) at vendors in town :]

Lordy88 have you tried manually creating the swap file?
Can also make it via a system link to another hard drive like I did.
I only have a 4850 with 512MB of ram so had to have a small texture cache but had no pop in :]

Problem is that I had to lower the texture resolution tremendously to make the game look smooth, which sucks immensely. I was really looking forward to push this game to its max, especially given that it is an ID Tech 5 game, meaning it would be quite a gorgeous game to experience.
That's strange, with the new drivers and the usual tweaks I can now run this max with no problems on my 5850 and AMD quad.

Decado

Hey, I read that you can install RAGE on the 360 in instalments (8gb at a time), does that work or does it screw up when you uninstall a disc?

Hey, I read that you can install RAGE on the 360 in instalments (8gb at a time), does that work or does it screw up when you uninstall a disc?

It's just a normal disc install, so you'll benefit from it so long as you are playing the same disc that was installed. You never have to go beyond the size of one disc at a time and install time is ten minutes or less, so it's not a big deal when you have to switch out as you can simply delete the first disc install file and install the second before booting it.

If you have all discs installed, does the game still make you switch?
Yes, as you reach each point where the other disc is necessary normally. It has to be verified that you have the same disc as the one you're playing off of the installed disc image. Otherwise, the reasoning seems to be, people could install and sell off games or just rent/borrow and keep the installed disc images to use forever after.

Bebpo

Banned
I started playing this game on PC last night and the graphics are blowing my mind. This is literally the best looking game I've ever seen and it feels like the first time I've seen "next-gen" visuals. The combination of gorgeous expansive environments + great art direction (those skyboxes!) + 60fps smooth framerate with nice IQ + really good animation...it just impresses the hell out of me.

Game is just ok so far after 1 dungeon (not feeling the pistol much, but love the wingsticks). But I'll definitely stick with it for the whole ride just for these visuals.

If PS4/X720 can pump out games that look like this on a regular basis, next generation on consoles is going to be incredible.

Bebpo

Banned
btw, I bought the binocular and now I can't do iron sights with my pistol. When I hold down the right mouse button or left trigger it brings the binocular up. How do I fix this?

Decado

Well, finally installed the 20 (they should say 14) GB HD and am installing disc 1.

What is the difficulty level for this game like? Worth starting off on Hard, or is Normal fine for your average FPS player?

thx

Bollocks

I bought this the other day, pretty underwhelmed so far in terms of story and gameplay.
I do however love the art direction and animation and that it's 60fps too bad the texture popin is far from subtle but you get used to it. I just hope the story get's more interesting and it isn't drive, pick up item, return till the end.

edgefusion

I bought this the other day, pretty underwhelmed so far in terms of story and gameplay.
I do however love the art direction and animation and that it's 60fps too bad the texture popin is far from subtle but you get used to it. I just hope the story get's more interesting and it isn't drive, pick up item, return till the end.

Same here. The art direction is really what's making me stick with it although from what I've played so far it doesn't seem too bad. The setting is fantastic, what I imagine Borderlands would be were it made by people with taste. I got the PS3 version though and holy hell dat pop-in/jaggy mess. Just what the what is going on here? How did this get past QA? Playing this right after the Skyrim nightmare is making me seriously consider dropping some cash on a decent PC rig and doing away with console gaming.

panda21

bought this in GAME on PC for £12..

its terrible

just constant 'hey go fetch this' quests that force you through about 10 minutes of unskippable being talked at by npcs.

like every npc has this set few lines they will say when you walk up to them, before you are even allowed to interact with them, and then once you can they blabber on again for ages before finally giving you a quest to go do the same thing with another dude 10 metres round the corner.

they obviously felt compelled to make each npc just start talking at you before you are allowed to then 'interact' with them but struggled to write anything interesting, so every time the NPC says everything twice, it goes something like

go see NPC X for quest:
'oh hi mutants blah blah blah supplies blah blah blah radio tower blah blah blah'
*game finally brings up interact with NPC option*
'perhaps you could do something about the mutants blah blah blah fetch supplies blah blah blah, anyway go see NPC Y first'

NPC Y:
'oh hi mutants blah blah blah supplies blah blah blah radio tower blah blah blah'
*game finally brings up interact with NPC option*
'perhaps you could do something about the mutants blah blah blah fetch supplies blah blah blah blah blah blah'

if there was actually anything dramatic happening it might be interesting but its just boring.

then the combat is kind of mediocre, the weapons feel super weak, the mutant animations jump in a super disorientating unrealistic way between some well made animations, and it all happens in a way that makes it look really bad. enemies get stuck in animations and don't react to you shooting them until they come out of them

the graphics are ok, but not 22gb of ok, and something about they way it moves makes me feel sick.

oh and the vehicle stuff sucks, obviously.

so yeah i didnt like it much

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I fucking love this game. I got it on PS3 for $19, went in with low expectations but I'm having a blast with it. The shooting mechanics and weapons are phenomenal. Every weapon has it's use as does every ammo type. I'm also surprised at how much fun the minigames, particularly driving/racing, are. I usually hate vehicle sections in games but find myself wishing there were more races I could do and more ways to upgrade/customize my vehicles.

I don't mind the fact that the game has no story or that everything is pretty much a fetch quest. It's just so much fun to wander around the wasteland, shooting bandits, and finding cool stuff. The graphics are also fantastic. Rock solid 60fps makes a huge difference. The texture pop in can be pretty bad on PS3 on occasion but most times I barely notice it. I'm someone who usually is super bothered by that stuff too. The megatextures also really paid off for id. It's really refreshing to see so much minute, unique detail on everything.

I think I'm about halfway through, just finished
Dead City
and that mission was great. They did a fantastic job of making that area much more eerie than the rest of the game. Perfect atmosphere in there.

As long you know going in that the story is nonexistant and that you need to save often because of a lack of checkpoints then the few annoying parts of the game will be easer to swallow. Aside from that, it's fun as hell.

btw, I bought the binocular and now I can't do iron sights with my pistol. When I hold down the right mouse button or left trigger it brings the binocular up. How do I fix this?

there is no reason to do ironsights with anything in this game. shoot from the hip with everything unless you are sniping with a scope (or the binoc). trust me, it's the way it should be played!

As long you know going in that the story is nonexistant and that you need to save often because of a lack of checkpoints then the few annoying parts of the game will be easer to swallow. Aside from that, it's fun as hell.

you really don't need to save often. i played on hard and the only challenge seemed to be dying. if you haven't got any bandages or defib charges, sure, save often, but if you have either of the former it's painfully easy to stay alive.

there is no reason to do ironsights with anything in this game. shoot from the hip with everything unless you are sniping with a scope (or the binoc). trust me, it's the way it should be played!

you really don't need to save often. i played on hard and the only challenge seemed to be dying. if you haven't got any bandages or defib charges, sure, save often, but if you have either of the former it's painfully easy to stay alive.

Agreed. I was getting my ass kicked when I overused the ironsights.

sorry but this game is the shit. best FPS of 2011 in my opinion. it's nothing revolutionary but the gunplay is really great and the animations are so good... really gives a lot of weight and meaning to the shots you get on people rather than them not reacting at all to your shots and then they just die when their HP are gone.

some of the textures on stuff is literally PSone quality (haven't messed with any of the .ini settings though) but for the most part it is good looking. haven't noticed the texture pop in too much.

the game does have typical fetch quests and "go kill these guys" missions but i love the settings and the atmophere is really good (loved dead city level). it also cuts out a lot of the worthless clutter that some FPS have.... straight and to the point

edgefusion

Is there any way (on consoles) to view your own character without awkwardly manipulating the camera while sat on an ATV? I want to see what my dude looks like. :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't get it with this game. At times it looks beautiful, and other times there's a paint can or other stuff "painted" on the ground, which makes me think "WTF is this 1996?!?"

Bebpo

Banned
Speaking of which, what was the consensus for the best custom cfg out there? I think it looks pretty nice with default settings (and runs great), but if there are cfgs that look even better without performance hitting...definitely will give a shot.

tjohn86

Speaking of which, what was the consensus for the best custom cfg out there? I think it looks pretty nice with default settings (and runs great), but if there are cfgs that look even better without performance hitting...definitely will give a shot.

I used the high end config linked off the steam forums support thread. It worked great for me.

I beat RAGE a few days ago and really liked it. I'm not sure how people said the game was short. Steam says it look me 22 hours to do basically everything. The graphics looked great except for some terrible textures here and there. Totally worth my $15.

Yeah, my Nightmare playthrough took me 28 hours. Loved every second, some of the best gunplay, animation, and graphics this gen. Even when Carmack forsakes us (yeah whatever, game looked amazing post-patch and pop-in was nearly eliminated) id are still gods.

How they packed so much detail into every square inch of the game is just baffling to me. Play this game, heathens. I want more!

Got this over the holidays for 360, about 6 hours in and I'm completely in love. This game is flat out gorgeous. It's like Bioshock, Borderlands and Fallout had a beautifully art directed fps baby. The whole world is so wonderfully realized, so smoothly animated, and so satisfying to fight in. The hit reactions in this game, the enemy play-styles, the weapons... it's just pure fun.

Best single-player fps released last year, aside from dd Crysis 1.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Got this over the holidays for 360, about 6 hours in and I'm completely in love. This game is flat out gorgeous. It's like Bioshock, Borderlands and Fallout had a beautifully art directed fps baby. The whole world is so wonderfully realized, so smoothly animated, and so satisfying to fight in. The hit reactions in this game, the enemy play-styles, the weapons... it's just pure fun.

Best single-player fps released last year, aside from dd Crysis 1.

This is basically my reaction to Rage. It's like the dream FPS someone playing stuff like Duke Nukem back in the 90s would imagine in their lurid dreams.

And for the art, yeah - I KNOW that we've already seen Fallout 3 and Borderlands. Yes, Rage gets ribbed for being another post apocalyptic FPS. But fucking hell, the quality of the art, and the world design. There actually is a whole story being told in the scenery in this one. It's also not brown and boring, despite the theme. It's actually incredibly rich with color and attractive design choices.

Every area just oozes personality. When you're in Jackal territory? They're screaming gibberish at you and wearing antlers, and you're zip-lining through trash Endor? COME ON.

Arklite

Finished this on PC a few days ago. Very good shooter, lots of options with the weapons and secondary items. I went in expecting to be bored with the Fallout-esque world but the art style and scenery can be very eye catching. Riding the buggy and then stepping out of it in the middle of nowhere really makes you feel the scale of the game.

The "open world" facade ends up working against it in the end though, as it starts to feel sparse and rather static. Reaching Subway town is exciting at first but if you tackle the main objectives you're suddenly in the end game without much build up. The last mission area is anti-climatic as hell, especially considering previous areas had been much more exciting. I think the game could have paced itself better, but that last area is just a shame especially considering the developer.

Grayman

Finished this on PC a few days ago. Very good shooter, lots of options with the weapons and secondary items. I went in expecting to be bored with the Fallout-esque world but the art style and scenery can be very eye catching. Riding the buggy and then stepping out of it in the middle of nowhere really makes you feel the scale of the game.

The "open world" facade ends up working against it in the end though, as it starts to feel sparse and rather static. Reaching Subway town is exciting at first but if you tackle the main objectives you're suddenly in the end game without much build up. The last mission area is anti-climatic as hell, especially considering previous areas had been much more exciting. I think the game could have paced itself better, but that last area is just a shame especially considering the developer.

Try to check out the coop if you can. You skip the open world stuff and get some great shooting trips.

I really think that last level was an out of time thing or designed by people who did not work on the rest of the game. The other levels while not quite quake like do have a style of folding on themselves, multiple routes, and good use of rooms and objects that the last area does not have at all. The last fight of it did not even mix enemies like the rest of the game. Some games have quick endings or bad last levels but Rage`s is so off there has to be an exploitation.

Try to check out the coop if you can. You skip the open world stuff and get some great shooting trips.

The co-op levels are great. I think something this game would really benefit from is some sort of arcade "instant action" mode that just throws you through environments with room after room filled with enemies. That and a straight up deathmatch mode.

I'm pleased to see plenty of new people in this thread impressed with the game. It was certainly one of the most overlooked games of 2011.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Evolved1 said:
Still a little gross even with the SSD...
It's about as good as this game gets though (but note that the crazy video compression is adding it's own temporal distortions).
On the plus side - the SSD-Hybrid drive works just as well as SSD in this (in the PS3 demo anyway).

The co-op levels are great. I think something this game would really benefit from is some sort of arcade "instant action" mode that just throws you through environments with room after room filled with enemies. That and a straight up deathmatch mode.

I'm pleased to see plenty of new people in this thread impressed with the game. It was certainly one of the most overlooked games of 2011.

I've tried coop a couple of times now on PC and it's mostly sucked. I mean, the amount of lag is pretty damn surprising for this day and age. I live in Germany. So either no one is playing 'cept some dude far off on the other side of the planet, or the netcode is shit.

Is there a community at all for it on 360? I be inclined to rebuy @ $20 for acheivements and coop.

Top Bottom