• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

sp3000

burgerdog said:
Would it be worth it to get this on pc over consoles if I have an e8400 paired up with a 6870?

It would have higher res but thats about it. Otherwise this is a straight up console port with zero graphical extras for the PC.

Sort of sad having to see Carmack compromise his engine so badly to run on 2005 hardware.

Derrick01

Banned
Pretty excited for this. If anything Carmack deserves my attention as the man is a living legend and I want to see how good this new engine really is. I just hope they let us change settings on the PC version as I really don't trust the game to get it right, they always think my system is worse than it is.

Salsa

Liquid_Bike said:
So is this open world like fallout or is it more along the lines of borderlands?

more like Borderlands i guess, but not really like either.

Its not completely open world but there's sidequests and different paths. I imagine something similar to Deus Ex HR in terms of where you can go.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Oh yes, this will be mine. First day 1 PC purchase for me in a while.

I have this on pre-order based on developer lineage alone. Nothing I've seen has really excited me, maybe I'm just burned out on post apocalyptic games.

Looking forward to impressions though.

unomas

Banned
Not sure if want, I'm definitely picking up Batman and Assassins Creed, and Rage looks interesting, but is there any type of team death match online?

Salsa

cooljeanius said:
Mac OS X is listed under the platforms in the OP, was this ever confirmed?

not confirmed, but thrown around by bethesda guys more than a couple times. My bad.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jesus Carmack pic is perfect.

I'm so hyped for this. Give me a shotgun and let me rock.

SalsaShark said:
from OP:

BAM!
OPs are only good for the pretty photos damn it!!!

I think its pretty crazy that id got Sony to allow them to do a mandatory 8GB install, while installing the 360's 3 disc is 22GB! Sooo much awesome gaming.

Effect

The focus on single player is a huge plus I feel. However I hope the game's length is worth the price. Have they said anything about how much freedom one has to explore the game world? Side-quest ala Fallout? Playthrough time (with and without side-quest if there are any)?

EagleEyes

Square Triangle said:
OPs are only good for the pretty photos damn it!!!

I think its pretty crazy that id got Sony to allow them to do a mandatory 8GB install, while installing the 360's 3 disc is 22GB! Sooo much awesome gaming.
What are the odds that i'll be able to install that 22 gigs faster on my 360 then the 8 gig install on PS3. Pretty good I think.

Derrick01

Banned
Someone was throwing around the 20 hour number in one of the previous Rage threads but I haven't seen any official confirmation on length yet.

FrankT

Elginer said:
Have my 360 version paid in full. In Carmack I trust.

Indeed. Feel like I've been waiting a lifetime for this. 60fps with visuals like these will be a bar setter this gen for me.

Loxley

I re-watched Carmack's hour and a half-long keynote from this year's Quake-Con again yesterday. Half the time I have no clue what the hell he's talking about when it comes to tech, but he's just so damn passionate about it I can't help but be absolutely fascinated by everything he says. I love that he's not afraid to be very candid about his attitude towards the consoles and what they can and and can't get away with in terms of graphical and processing power.

Hearing him say that RAGE will be a 22 gig install on the 360 blew my mind, especially when he said that if you don't install the game on the 360, it can take up to 15 seconds to load all of the textures in some areas. Either way, sure glad I upgraded to the 250g hard drive recently :)

The focus on single player is a huge plus I feel. However I hope the game's length is worth the price. Have they said anything about how much freedom one has to explore the game world? Side-quest ala Fallout? Playthrough time (with and without side-quest if there are any)?

I don't think they've ever given an exact length estimation, but based on what we have heard, I'd assume it's at least a 12-15 hour campaign. Although I've heard even higher estimates like 20 hours, which hey, I'd be all for.

SalsaShark said:
Competitive MP is a car combat game, wich looks surprisingly awesome

Other than that it has co-op missions.

splitscreen co-op or just online co-op for console? I'm deciding between pc and console version, normally I'll just get pc version but since the console version will ran smooth, I think I'll be fine with console version if it has splitscreen co-op. I love splitscreen co-op. spent weekend playing Resistacne 3 co-op with my cousin when he come over. so good.

Loxley

Callibretto said:
splitscreen co-op or just online co-op for console? I'm deciding between pc and console version, normally I'll just get pc version but since the console version will ran smooth, I think I'll be fine with console version if it has splitscreen co-op. I love splitscreen co-op. spent weekend playing Resistacne 3 co-op with my cousin when he come over. so good.

Split-screen and online.

DenogginizerOS said:
I am definitely buying this, but I don't know when.
id_software.gif

sp3000 said:
It would have higher res but thats about it. Otherwise this is a straight up console port with zero graphical extras for the PC.

Sort of sad having to see Carmack compromise his engine so badly to run on 2005 hardware.

Point out how its being compromised! PC game engines should be versatile due to variations in computer hardware.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Derrick01 said:
Oh god that looks even better than I thought. I love it when enemies react to getting shot, too few games actually do this and it's sad because it can often be hilarious. It was one of Goldeneye 64's best "features".

Yeah, it's definitely cool to see it. I love how they drop/throw their guns dramatically when they're shot or grenaded.

Great OT SalsaShark! I can't wait to get my hands on this, id's never let me down over all these years. The car combat is going to be a breath of fresh air for sure.

andylsun

an id software game, always exciting and something to look forward to. My backlog is too big at the moment, but may pick this up at Christmas - PS3 is better from the single disk perspective over 360, should they be graphically the same?

Top Bottom