• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Salsa

KingJ2002 said:
random... but im looking to get this for my Mac... any screens for the OSX version?

Mac hasnt been exactly confirmed yet.

AgentOtaku said:
which is next week...
(it's monday here)

Yeah i talked with Stumpokapow about this before posting the thread for this very reason. Different time zones hooray.

aegies

SalsaShark said:
Mac hasnt been exactly confirmed yet.

Yeah i talked with Stumpokapow about this before posting the thread for this very reason. Different time zones hooray.

It's cool! I think I was just panicking a little bit, thinking I had less time to get the review done than I thought I did.

aegies said:
It's cool! I think I was just panicking a little bit, thinking I had less time to get the review done than I thought I did.

I take it you're playing it already? *jealous*

Want to break embargo and risk your career to give us some impressions? Because I'd totally be down with that!

aegies

Poimandres said:
I take it you're playing it already? *jealous*

Want to break embargo and risk your career to give us some impressions? Because I'd totally be down with that!

Played already. And nope. But I admire your chutzpah in asking.

Man

This is going to be outstanding!

Going over Eurogamer Expo looking at all the big titles it was this games visuals and framerate that stood out like sex. It was super pleasant.

Regarding the 6 year life cycle. It's funny as I remember Carmack being pretty happy years back about how they were able to develop all 3 skus at the same time with their tools. Then, at this years Quakecon Keynote, pretty sure he expressed regret with that approach ultimately.

AgentOtaku said:
Regarding the 6 year life cycle. It's funny as I remember Carmack being pretty happy years back about how they were able to develop all 3 skus at the same time with their tools. Then, at this years Quakecon Keynote, pretty sure he expressed regret with that approach ultimately.
Regret that it didn't end up coming together as he'd hoped? Or regret that it ended up taking so long to do it?

If the tech and tool chain works like they wanted, this could end up paying dividends for a long time.

NullPointer said:
Regret that it didn't end up coming together as he'd hoped? Or regret that it ended up taking so long to do it?

If the tech and tool chain works like they wanted, this could end up paying dividends for a long time.

I believe just regret in how long it took.

NBtoaster

I think he said that in 2006 he thought the consoles were just mid-high end PCs, so no problem with simultaneous development, but then 5 years later that's far from the case and he believes it was a mistake.

NBtoaster said:
I think he said that in 2006 he thought the consoles were just mid-high end PCs, so no problem with simultaneous development, but then 5 years later that's far from the case and he believes it was a mistake.

Yes.

“When we started on the game six years ago, I looked at the consoles and said ‘These are as good as the PC’, and our development strategy was to develop live on all the platforms. And now we’re looking at PCs that have ten times the horsepower of the consoles. I’m making a large change in my direction just saying ‘We should be building things efficiently on the PC and then deploying on the consoles.’ And we didn’t make that as crisp of a distinction as we could have.

Because what I look back as one of the biggest mistakes I made in this generation, was at the beginning, five or six years ago, looking and saying, "Consoles are basically as good as PCs," at the time, and developing the workflow so it worked across both of them.

Looking back now, we have PCs that are an order of magnitude more powerful, and if our workflow is instead focused on explicitly on just... you build and develop on the PC, and you decimate things into a target for the consoles. There are things that I would do very differently.

Fjordson

Marcellus Wallace said:
Pre ordered the PS3 version. People are giving me shit already, saying it's the weakest version. I'm defending it. Any truth to what they say? I know early on the PS3 version was a bit behind the PC/360, but I assume the console versions will be nearly identical.
Talking to a few friends who saw it at shows, they've all said that the PS3 version looks damn good. I'm sure pixel counters will find an off texture here or a difference in frames there, but I think you'll be fine.

Fjordson

Monty Mole said:
Have I heard correctly that this runs at 60fps on consoles?
Going by preview builds and what id has said, it does indeed. I guess we'll see if it's able to do that throughout the whole game, but in Carmack we trust!

Fjordson said:
Going by preview builds and what id has said, it does indeed. I guess we'll see if it's able to do that throughout the whole game, but in Carmack we trust!
Mindblowing stuff, really can't wait to get my hands on this!

Salsa

Fjordson said:

Game mantains 60fps on both consoles at all times by having this sort of "dynamic" resolution.

If by chance the game gets crowded to a point where framerate would drop (they still said this is not often) the resolution actually lowers a bit in order to mantain the framerate going and suffer no hiccups whatsoever, and this is supposed to be barely noticeable.

PC doesnt have to deal with that obviously, but its still a pretty neat trick to get it going on consoles if it does in fact goes unnoticed.

Fjordson

SalsaShark said:
Game mantains 60fps on both consoles at all times by having this sort of "dynamic" resolution.

If by chance the game gets crowded to a point where framerate would drop (they still said this is not often) the resolution actually lowers a bit in order to mantain the framerate going and suffer no hiccups whatsoever, and this is supposed to be barely noticeable.
Wow! I didn't know that. So cool.

Bumhead

Banned
Played the game at Eurogamer and thought it was brilliant. Game looks and runs fantastically on 360 (other than some very slow texture pop in at times), but can't wait to see how it looks and plays on a decent PC rig.

Absolutely loved the shotgun and wingsticks combination. Probably one of the more entertaining things I experienced at the entire expo.

NBtoaster

SalsaShark said:

PC doesnt have to deal with that obviously, but its still a pretty neat trick to get it going on consoles if it does in fact goes unnoticed.

Be neat if you could enable that on pc..

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jambo said:
But it's id.
Yeah, that's why he said it. I love id with all my heart, but they lost the plot with Doom 3.

SalsaShark said:
not confirmed, but thrown around by bethesda guys more than a couple times. My bad.

The producer from Rage told me last year that they had to put the OSX version on hold, but that was last year, things could have changed since then.

Salsa

Vinterbird said:
The producer from Rage told me last year that they had to put the OSX version on hold, but that was last year, things could have changed since then.

Mh, better than saying nothing about it. I still very much think its coming.

NBtoaster said:
Be neat if you could enable that on pc..

Im not sure how the technology works, but that could be extremely bothersome to people with auto-adjust monitors and whatnot, lol.

Grayman

SalsaShark said:
Mh, better than saying nothing about it. I still very much think its coming.

Im not sure how the technology works, but that could be extremely bothersome to people with auto-adjust monitors and whatnot, lol.
It would work the same way as on consoles. The image has to be converted back up to whatever resolution the game is running at before it reaches the display. Unreal Tournament 3 has a slider to do this in non dynamic fashion and older games like Wolfenstein 3d did something similar with boarders on the screen.

Salsa

Grayman said:
It would work the same way as on consoles. The image has to be converted back up to whatever resolution the game is running at before it reaches the display. Unreal Tournament 3 has a slider to do this in non dynamic fashion and older games like Wolfenstein 3d did something similar with boarders on the screen.

I remember that about wolfenstein and since ive heard this i thought it was kinda a spiritual successor to that mechanic, ha

They were showing ads for the game during season 1 of The Walking Dead here in the UK, I thought it was pretty ridiculous when I looked the game up and saw it wasn't coming out for months.

Salsa

PumpkinPie said:
They were showing ads for the game during season 1 of The Walking Dead here in the UK, I thought it was pretty ridiculous when I looked the game up and saw it wasn't coming out for months.

Well i remember reading about it like 5 years ago if that makes you feel better :p its been a long time coming, but we're at the home stretch fellas.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As an aside, on the subject of engine features that would be nice to have in the PC versions, Valve developed a data streaming system for the Xbox variant of Source since the console didn't have the minimum amount of RAM necessary to cache all of the per-map data. And here we are, some 7 years later, and it's still not present in Source proper. :p

SalsaShark said:

Ah I remember Riddick doing this trick on Xbox 1. Cool stuff.

JaseC said:
As an aside, on the subject of engine features that would be nice to have in the PC versions, Valve developed a data streaming system for the Xbox variant of Source since the console didn't have the minimum amount of RAM necessary to cache all of the per-map data. And here we are, some 7 years later, and it's still not present in Source proper. :p

I remember that but didn't the Xbox version have more loading screens anyway?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
angular graphics said:
I remember that but didn't the Xbox version have more loading screens anyway?

Quite likely, not that I would remember as I only played it up to Ravenholm, and that was 6 years ago. :p 64MB RAM doesn't exactly give you much room to swap in/out data.

Edit: By "it" I mean the Xbox version of Half-Life 2 in particular, not Half-Life 2 as a whole.

SalsaShark said:

They did something new for the PC as well. They made an OpenGL extension that both AMD and nvidia have incorporated to their drivers, that will allow the game, when it can't hit 60fps vsynced, to temporarily drop the vsync and tear, until it can again.

Top Bottom