• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

WTF....just drove out of town to go on the first mission....suddenly get killed by a homing missile with barely any warning...died... "loading checkpoint"....*opening FMV movie starts playing*...can't even skip it. Lol.

FatBaby

Loaded up RAGE and was stunned by the screen tearing and no option to turn vsync on in game. Forced it on in the nvidia control panel.

So fresh and so clean, clean.

I haven't even played it yet but I haven't had any problems so far *knock on wood* Although I have seen some slight texture pop in if you try and flick the mouse but it seems like you have to work for it.

I guess I am lucky?

Riptwo

Huh, I just played 30ish minutes on the PC and didn't experience any issues like in that video. i7 2600k w 2 560ti cards in SLI.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hrmm, the one guy not having issues is using an older i7.

I'm on Sandy Bridge i5 2500k. A lot of people reporting problems also seem to be on Sandy Bridges. I wonder if that's just a coincidence.

Smash88

Banned
Prodigal said:
Aside from some texture pop-in when turning around, I'm getting a great framerate and everything looks real good. Granted I just started the first quest, but I just want to bring some comfort to people having issues. If you can stand the pop-in, this game looks amazing.

Specs:

i-2500k
260 gtx
8 gig ram

You are probably not playing it maxed out, especially with that video card. The game probably auto-adjusted to med-high.

Wallach said:
You're probably fine. The real clusterfuck looks like an AMD problem.

You on the other hand pretty much have the same PC as me, you're fucked.

Well, glad I didn't preorder. It seems like its mostly ATI cards that are having issues

I'm not having any performance issues but with all the talk about mega textures I was expecting the textures to look a bit better. Some of the walls and such are quite ugly up close. I'm running 2500k with a 570 using the latest nvidia beta drivers and I'm getting pretty much locked 60 fps at 1080p with gpu transcoding on and AA set at 4X. I tried turning the AA all the way up to 16X and I still get 60fps but the image quality seems worse, like everything just got blurrier.

Salsa

Zefah said:
Hrmm, the one guy not having issues is using an older i7.

I'm on Sandy Bridge i5 2500k. A lot of people reporting problems also seem to be on Sandy Bridges. I wonder if that's just a coincidence.

:

jaxpunk said:
2500k but everything else the same. 8x AA and gpu whatever enabled runs like a dream. Game looks insane! Running the latest released drivers, no beta.

Its just fucking random, there has to be something we're missing

SuperLurker said:
I'm not having any performance issues but with all the talk about mega textures I was expecting the textures to look a bit better. Some of the walls and such are quite ugly up close.

you need to read up what mega textures are.

Fjordson

Aquavelvaman said:
Am I really going to have to buy an id game on a console? Wtf man
360 version looks really good, but I'd just wait if you want to play it on PC. There's no way these issues don't get fixed asap. These screenshots are catastrophic.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
nacire said:
Well I'm on the second disc of the retail pc copy. When I'm done installing I'll give a report.

i7@2.8
8Gb Ram
ATI 5850
I installed from the retail discs. It made me then download a ~30mb patch and the performance is right in line with everyone else's. That youtube video mimics my performance exactly.

from the looks of all the replies and my own personal experience so far it seems almost confirmed it's at the very least an ATI issue

god damnit

forrest

formerly nacire
Wallach said:
You're probably fine. The real clusterfuck looks like an AMD problem.

You on the other hand pretty much have the same PC as me, you're fucked.

Are you playing the game installed from disc or steam? Are the people that have it running smoothly also on retail disc? or steam preload?

burgerdog

Seems like my e8400 is going to hold me back no matter what even if they fix whatever the fuck is broken with the game. I'm contemplating buying one of the console versions tomorrow. This is messed up.

Smash88

Banned
Hmm, I'm sure once AMD/ATI fix their drivers everyone will praise this game again.

Even though many of the reviews I've seen state it is a generic shooter.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow! Mother fucking Colonel Campbell (MGS) is in this game!

Aaaaaaaaaand day 1 when it's out in Europe.

Friend on AIM said his game is running fine

Intel i7 960 @ 3.33 GHz
Corsair 16GB DDR3 RAM
Diamond Radeon 6970 @ 2GB

Maybe not totally AMD's fault...?

Victrix

*beard*
Me and BOTH of my friends. All three of us on ATI. Owned.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Wallach

nacire said:
Are you playing the game installed from disc or steam? Are the people that have it running smoothly also on retail disc? or steam preload?

Pre-load. God help us all if that is the problem.

Derrick01

Banned
So this looks like it's increasingly becoming a primarily AMD problem, though it's not 100% perfect on nvidia either. Some nvidia users are apparently getting moderate texture pop in, some aren't getting hardly any.

I hope the problem's fixable at least. I still can't run Dragon Age 2 that well because Bioware made AMD the focus (and because they're incompetent, but that's another story).

afbtwi.jpg

RUNNING
ID DRIVE DIAGNOSTICS...
TIME TO COMPLETE - UNKNOWN

:(

Karak

jaxpunk said:
2500k but everything else the same. 8x AA and gpu whatever enabled runs like a dream. Game looks insane! Running the latest released drivers, no beta.
Wow....wow.

Oh wow.

360 lead platform confirmed:)
My system plays it so poorly as to be a travesty to the eyes.

The 360 throws this game around like a hot bitch. I am back to that.
I actually feel really bad as I have felt Id has always done good for the PC peeps and lets be honest they would have known if it was this bad. What is going on with the weird dev builds on steam?

(._.)

Banned
This is disgusting. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to release a goddamn PC game that didn't allow you to alter the graphics is a fuckin retard. There are obscure jrpg ports that are better optimized than this game. On top of that this game runs like utter garbage on ATI cards...? This is just disrespectful especially coming from id...the guys who made DOOM. I know a PC game never runs perfectly at launch for everybody but this one seems to be a substantial mess by the looks of it. get your goddamn act together. I hope to god this is just dev build mistake like dead island.

FStop7

Banned
Sinatar said:
Wow texture pop in is awful on PC. Framerate was all over the place too.

i7 950, 12 GB RAM, Radeon 5870 GPU. I guess I know why ATI is releasing Rage specific drivers soon.

Jesus. It makes you wonder how these games make it through QA.

I think I'm going to sit out Rage until there have been a couple of point releases to fix these problems.

Anyone else playing it on PC feel like the sound is really shitty? I mean nothing is glitchy about it, but I'm using headphones and I'm fairly certain there are ZERO speaker independent sound effects...just sounds like every sound comes out of both ears, there's zero positional awareness based on sound so far.

Zimbardo

game is running perfect for me.

i5 760 @ 3.8ghz
8gig ram
2 gtx460 1gig in sli

1080p, 4xaa, vsync enabled via nvidia control panel, triple buffering enabled via nvidia control panel.

no screen tearing and getting a constant 60fps. no stuttering ...butter smooth frames.

using latest nvidia beta drivers.

also using the xbox360 pad to play at the moment.

very nice graphics. not noticing any texture pop in either.

Derrick01

Banned
Juancho9 said:
I have an Nvidia gtx580 with the newer beta drivers and am having bad texture pop-in and screen tearing.

maybe it's the beta drivers causing the problem? One guy a bit earlier said it was running perfect for him on nvidia and he wasn't using the beta drivers.

edit: well shit there goes that theory, 1 post up lol

aegies

ValleyJoe said:
I was just thinking the exact same thing. I'm going through the first mission(enjoyable so far) and the shadows just look like shit. Very green and not really dark at all. weird. Game seems fun, but there are some serious technical issues. I get some occasional texture thrashing or whatever you would call it. It's not normal screen tearing, although I have some of that too. Pretty disappointing from a technical standpoint so far. On the plus side, It's a lot smoother indoors. 60 fps steady.

It's because all of the "shadows" are textures painted on the scene. There are character generated single light-source shadows, but that's it. Everything else is like running through a painting. Look at anything shiny that moves - the "shine" that isn't a specular highlight doesn't move. Reflections never move, because they're textures. It's RAGE's secret that not many people notice. It's a generation behind DOOM 3 and Quake 4.

Top Bottom