• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

Gvaz

Banned
Hrm dunno what I did but now it doesn't look so bad. Put it to 4xAA but it jumps between 60 and 30fps with vsync but I think I can deal with it for the visual boost.

rage2011-10-0620-10-39nd2t.jpg

Smokey

Dizzy-4U said:
Smokey, what SLI profile are you using? The game will unlock for me in an hour and I want to be ready.

It doesn't properly support SLI as of now. Game will still run so you won't have to disable the 2nd card or anything. Only thing I'm forcing through Inspector is Vsync and Triple Buffering. Everything else is default with the custom config taking care of most of the work.

Jubbly

Dizzy-4U said:
Smokey, what SLI profile are you using? The game will unlock for me in an hour and I want to be ready.

There is no SLI or CrossFire in Rage. AFAIK, it's because of the transcoding and some other issue.

Dizzy-4U

Jubbly said:
There is no SLI or CrossFire in Rage. AFAIK, it's because of the transcoding and some other issue.
Smokey said:
It doesn't properly support SLI as of now. Game will still run so you won't have to disable the 2nd card or anything. Only thing I'm forcing through Inspector is Vsync and Triple Buffering. Everything else is default with the custom config taking care of most of the work.
Thanks.

Tom Penny

Textures up close are embarrassing. You walk up to tires and they are flat tubes. You walk away and they look like they have ridges in them. Same thing with boxes, spray cans all that stuff. :/

scitek

aeolist said:
Getting a crash to desktop during the Wellspring load screen
Same here. Luckily it quicksaves just before it freezes every time so I can just alt-tab out and hit "continue game," but it needs to be addressed.

Salsa

Just started, trying to push the best quality since im running at a low native res anway. Getting 60fps constant with this:

cfg file:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 16384
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 16384
vt_pageimagesizeunique 16384
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 16384
vt_restart
vt_useCudaTranscode 2
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

steam launch options:

+r_swapInterval 1 +vt_maxPPF 16 +cvaradd g_fov 10

Game's looking great, but i wonder if it could look better. anything i might be missing?

Gvaz said:
Hrm dunno what I did but now it doesn't look so bad. Put it to 4xAA but it jumps between 60 and 30fps with vsync but I think I can deal with it for the visual boost.
Can you post your config/launch settings? That's a pretty massive upgrade over what I'm currently getting.

Wallach

SalsaShark said:
Just started, trying to push the best quality since im running at a low native res anway. Getting 60fps constant with this:

cfg file:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 16384
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 16384
vt_pageimagesizeunique 16384
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 16384
vt_restart
vt_useCudaTranscode 2
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

steam launch options:

+r_swapInterval 1 +vt_maxPPF 16 +cvaradd g_fov 10

Game's looking great, but i wonder if it could look better. anything i might be missing?

Take the vt_maxPPF out, you don't need it.

Endymion

Hi guys, I tried your suggestions and tips and this is the result:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3RVYS35X

Virtually no pop-up whatsoever in ANY circumstance.
No slowdown in ANY circumstance (60fps all the time).
No tearing.
Jaw-drapping textures.

Never, never have I experienced such perfection in an FPS on its debut on any platform. It even tops Crysis 2.

Thank you all for a job well done.

My rig:
I7 950 OCced to 3.5 Ghz
6GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM Triple channel
Zotac AMP2! GTX 580 3GB
2 SSDs in RAID 0

The video was recorded while the game was at maximum settings (1080,16AA, full screen etc.) with Fraps recording at half-resolution and at 30 fps not locked and it did not falter for a moment nonetheless. Amazing.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Tried all this shit and the textures are better, but the pop-in is still god awful and the framerate is 30s.

Something is definitely wrong.

Salsa

Wallach said:
Take the vt_maxPPF out, you don't need it.

will do, thanks

anyway, game's looking fucking great as far as im concerned. Although i gotta say im not a fan of the AA options. 8x just doesnt seem to cut it and 16x makes everything look blurry, like it goes overboard. Playing with that, but i wish i could get a sharper image.

gotta downsample because of Steam's shitty compression, but you get the idea:

iPFXyIbEIubbe.png

iblfjy9cuIjsX0.png

And the only other issue: where are we at with the green shadows? is that supposed to be normal or what? because..

i8pDtVqdx7Z7C.png

ewww

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, it's an intentional artistic choice. Certain areas of the game have a particular colour grading scheme (e.g. caves), which also pops in because it's all pre-baked. :p

Since I've seen people asking and actually was looking for a definitive answer, I can now confirm (for us EU people who had to wait) that the game runs on an 2011 iMac 27" i7 w/ Win7 64bit.
Of course, not without tweaks, so here we go:

• get the AMD Rage performance driver here (yes, it works with Bootcamp - I was shocked)
  • open the Catalyst Control center and make sure that triple-buffering is off
  • I use these launch options in Steam: +set com_allowConsole 1 +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 +vt_pageImageSizeUnique 8192 +vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly 8192 +vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly2 8192 +r_swapInterval 1

I personally find 2560x1440 a bit too stuttery and toned it down to 1920x1080.
No other changes were made and I played through the first mission now without any issues at all (some stutters here and there, but nothing gamebreaking).

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow. Dropping the mouse sensitivity setting in game makes the mouse actually stop reading below a certain threshold (deadzone). Shameful.

Salsa

Mh, weird. When i first started the game it would run at like 5fps for 2 seconds and then go back to normal. Now i quicksaved elsewhere and when i go back and load it the game gets stuck at that 5fps performance. But i know i can handle the custom cfg i made cause after saving it i was getting constant 60fps. Its like the game goes to hell after loading the save (5fps even in menues)

any ideas?

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
Wow. Dropping the mouse sensitivity setting in game makes the mouse actually stop reading below a certain threshold (deadzone). Shameful.

Haha yes, I noticed this in my efforts to fix the fucking menu mouse acceleration. In the end I gave up and am just playing on the 360 pad.

SalsaShark said:
Mh, weird. When i first started the game it would run at like 5fps for 2 seconds and then go back to normal. Now i quicksaved elsewhere and when i go back and load it the game gets stuck at that 5fps performance. But i know i can handle the custom cfg i made cause after saving it i was getting constant 60fps. Its like the game goes to hell after loading the save (5fps even in menues)

any ideas?

The numbers in the first four lines should be 8192 not 16384. Didn't notice that the first time you posted your cfg. That's assuming you're still using that 560.

Sanic

So is AF not enabled by default? It looks like there's some kind of filtering (maybe trilinear?) going on, so should I still enable AF in the config?

Salsa

Wallach said:
The numbers in the first four lines should be 8192 not 16384. Didn't notice that the first time you posted your cfg. That's assuming you're still using that 560.

560ti, will do, but weird, since ive been using 16384 with 0 issues so far.

Wallach

Tokubetsu said:
Getting character model flickering in wellspring. Is this another ATI thing? =/

It is! Congratulations.

This fuckin' 5850 is the first and last time I give team red a serious shot.

Salsa

alright, that fixed it. 0 issues now except i still dont like 16XAA, it looks too smooth, its kinda blurry.

TheExodu5

Banned
FloppyDelux said:
they dont know how to make them properly? textures making is time consuming believe it or not.

It's not even that. That texture "might" be decent without the worst compression I've ever seen in a video game texture. It's like a blown up low quality JPEG.

Salsa

yup textures look bad up close, they always mentioned that. The reason why the game is so big its cause of the megatextures. The textures are huge instead of tiny ones, it shows in the way that you need to try really damn hard to see 2 textures that look the same.

Game looks gorgeous because of that and i doubt i'll be facing 3cm from walls so im cool with it.

Wallach

FoolsRun said:
For those of us waiting for new ATI drivers:

Yeah, going to wait until tomorrow to play it further. Getting annoyed with the occasional weapon flickering and it crashed on me again during a transition, both of which seem to be consistent AMD issues. Hoping the driver fixes it.

angular graphics said:
I've been shown this comparison: 8k^2 vs 16k^2.

2pqet.jpg

1sp4s.jpg

So yes, there's a difference, if your system can handle it.

I'm not too sure how that comparison was taken, cause I just got to that part and I'm using 8k and it looks like the "16k" shot.

rage2011-10-0621-27-12hupn.png

Edit: I went back in and took another shot, this one using 4k. Looks like the "8k" shot now: http://www.abload.de/img/rage2011-10-0621-45-482udj.png so yeah, I think that comparison is borked.

Firehead

Sax Russel said:
I'm not too sure how that comparison was taken, cause I just got to that part and I'm using 8k and it looks like the "16k" shot.

http://www.abload.de/img/rage2011-10-0621-27-12hupn.png[img][/quote]

Actually, yours looks much better from either of those pictures. What config are you using?

Pimpbaa

TheExodu5 said:
How on Earth can a 25GB game have textures this bad? Look at that compression!

Easy. When you use a very large texture to cover everything rather than smaller repeating textures. The benefit being everything looks unique rather than the same dirt texture used over and over. It also allows artists to do their job easier by now having to worry about texture budgets. The downside being stuff looking like shit close up.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just tried playing for the first time. I can't believe what a complete shit release this is.

No 5.1 sound. Terrible texture pop-in on a mid-range system running at 720p. Unbelievable.

Anyhow, anyone have any suggestions for my system:

quad core 2.77
4 gig RAM
Windows 7 64bit

So far I've put the settings file mentioned in the OP in my Base directory, as well as downloaded the ATI rage drivers.

In-game I'm running at 720p on my TV using the 360 controller, and have antialiasing set to 2x.

I get a bit of texture pop-in, but my frame rate is decent. My main issue is the game is constantly randomly hitching. Constantly. It's maddening. If I turn my head completely 360 degrees inside the first garage, I get about 3-4 hitches before I entirely turn around.

So, any more advice for those specs would be great. Thanks.

Top Bottom