• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World - Hunt prey, evade predators, survive as a Slugcat (March 28th, PS4/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what James said about the 2017 delay back in June
Content is wrapped up and we are doing final group testing with new players on controls and tutorial elements. The only thing left other than that is some polishing up of art / UI elements and assorted bug-fixes.

As for the change in date, the past few months we've been sprinting like crazy to hit a certain release window (that was *really* soon), but some 3rd party stuff came up last minute that couldn't be avoided and now we have to wait until the next window. Its not AS bad as you probably think, but we cant announce it until some other things get locked into place.

For some context, at this point there are a bunch of other moving pieces beyond just when the game is finished. Publishers and porting teams and platforms all have packed release schedules the next few months, and for a successful launch, everything has to line up just right for all of them. With all the time, money and blood (so much bloooood) that's been poured into this project, we have to nail these last steps.

No question that we're disappointed though, because we absolutely killed ourselves to get things wrapped up in time (seriously, its been brutal), only to get derailed by elements that were out of our control. But honestly... this is best for the game too. In order to make the sooner timeline work out, we were compromising on the quality of certain things in ways that neither of us were comfortable with. Now with this added time, we can polish the polish and add that last 5%... and get that big content update ready to go for post-launch

I was thinking about how when this game is finished and the devlog is done, it's going to feel like the end of an era, at least for me. I've been following the game for about as long as I have been seriously into indie games.

Facade and Warning Forever introduced me to indie games. Nitronic Rush introduced me to student projects and game jams. N got me into browser games. And Rain World was my introduction to the notion of devlogs and following an indie game's progress, talking with developers, and all that.

The game and its devlog is part of the many aspects that defined my mindset and passion about indie games. Which is probably why I have such strong appreciation for it and follow it so closely.

Oneself

I was thinking about how when this game is finished and the devlog is done, it's going to feel like the end of an era, at least for me. I've been following the game for about as long as I have been seriously into indie games...
Well, thanks to this game you've become an indie game reference for a bunch of us here. BTW, I discovered many things through your posts and appreciate all the screenshots, videos, news and stuff you share with GAF. The end of an era is just the beginning of another! Maybe a more badass one :)

Good news
The past weeks/months/lifetimes have been spent testing and improving the PS4 build with our porting team, Carbon Games. Things are looking REAL NICE

Its pretty crazy though: Joar is in Seoul right now, Carbon is in London, and Adult Swim is in Atlanta. I'm in Boston organizing everything, and never sleeping because as soon as one crew calls it a day, another timezone/day begins! But everything is moving along quite nicely.

For international peeps, it's official that we'll be releasing in a few languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese; which im very very excited about. I never expected things to get this big.

We plan on doing Asian languages eventually, but localization is going to take quite a bit for that and we'll have to redo our text system to accommodate, so it'll be down the line a bit.
Another cool thing now that content production is wrapped up is that I can start focusing on PR/media stuff.

For some that sounds like dirty words I know, but what I mean by it is putting together cool media to tease on the lead up to release. We're planning on a bunch of trailers showcasing different regions, gif campaigns that follow little narratives, "music videos" showcasing some of our favorite tunes in context, wallpapers and teaser art from Del.

Super super psyched to get into all of that! (Especially since the last few months have been a tedious bug-testing hellscape, haha!)

James posted this over in the devlog. Gives a good idea of how big the final game is
The game is quite large, and the only way for me to do a proper test is to "speed run" the game and take notes on performance issues, shader problems, wonkiness. I say "speed run" it in quotes because the fastest I, the person who made every room and region and know all the secrets and shortcuts, have been able to play to the win condition (skipping 3 regions!) is 8hrs. And that is ignoring all the narrative stuff and endgame content of course

Fresh new GIFs just in time for Halloween!

For some context, this is a vulture skull mask item. If I recall correctly, the effect is it temporarily scares lizards. You can see a MGS-style alert icon pop up for the lizard in the first GIF

3oriNXZER1nucOdWVi.gif
l2Jho5T3uNOT7Of3a.gif

Crispy75

Are there PNGs for these? the photo looks great but the compression makes it look blurry or something.

Those are the imgur URLS as posted on the devlog

Rain World used to have a graff-style logo, but I don't know who drew it, James or Joar.

HvWZKlP.png

Kientin

Personally the old graffiti logo is still my favorite. I love it.

So happy it looks like it's close to being finished. Can't wait to play it.

I don't want this to come off as port begging, but have the developers been asked if Rain World will come to Switch? I'm absolutely gonna buy it even if it doesn't (I have a PS4 and a PSTV so I'm covered) but I'd double dip for sure, especially if it got a physical release (on any platform, for what it's worth, I want that box art).

I wish I'd known about this game in time to support the Kickstarter but I'll gladly pay full price whenever it finally comes out to support them.

Unrelated, are there any high-res versions of the recently posted Rain World "cover" art available? We have an empty wall in our living room that my girlfriend and I are planning on covering with posters and prints from our favorite games - obviously I don't know if this'll be a favorite game yet but it looks friggin' amazing and a framed print of that art would look sweet as hell regardless of the final quality of the game.

I hope it is soon. I have been keeping my eyes on this game for a looong time and it looks better and better everytime I see a update. I am glad they are taking their time with this though. I am just so excited to play the full release lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom