• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

KodaRuss

Yes, because the content that we've received for Siege thus far has been amazing. We've had one or two good operators and 2 good maps in 18 months. New content isn't what's kept this game alive.

I think almost all of the new operators have been good additions to the game. The maps are somewhat hit or miss, I love Border the most and the others have grown on me. I dont hate Favela as much as others do but it has problems and I dont really like Bartlett U that much.

Regardless, the operators are the big deal because they have changed the game with each season and especially with Seasons 2, 3 and 5 with their respective operators. Seasons 1 and 4 have added decent operators as well but without changing how the game plays that much.

DQDQDQ

If they really dropped the Polish operators from Season 2, I'll try to get a refund for the season pass on Xbox.

The operators are still coming, but this wouldn't work anyway. The operators are not part of the season pass, everybody gets them. With regards to operators, the season pass specifically grants you "7-day early access to each season's new Operators." Now this season has zero operators, so you would be told to enjoy your season pass that is still technically fulfilled!

Going by the Q&A, they seem pretty confident in Operation Health. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Even slight improvements at the end of the day plus tick rate increases is huge if done decently. Put hit-reg improvements on top and it could be something great.

But I want to see a detailed patch list first. I'm honestly a bit split as to what I want Ubi to tackle more, the in-game stuff or the out of game stuff.

Pachimari

Okay, I should really get back into this game. But all of Overwatch, and now PUBG has taken a good amount of my time, not to talk about tv shows and movies. At least I'm glad to see this Operation Health, the game has needed it for a long while, and I'm excited to see how it'll be later this year.

LAM09

Called a delay on the previous page, but I'm ok with this announcement. I just hope they actually get to the root of alot of issues that have plauged the game since launch.

CrayToes

Going by the Q&A, they seem pretty confident in Operation Health. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Even slight improvements at the end of the day plus tick rate increases is huge if done decently. Put hit-reg improvements on top and it could be something great.

But I want to see a detailed patch list first. I'm honestly a bit split as to what I want Ubi to tackle more, the in-game stuff or the out of game stuff.

In game stuff is for sure more important to me. I can deal with wait times and dodgy matchmaking if there's a fully competent game underneath. The net code problems have made me resent the game more and more over the past few months.

KodaRuss

In game stuff is for sure more important to me. I can deal with wait times and dodgy matchmaking if there's a fully competent game underneath. The net code problems have made me resent the game more and more over the past few months.

If they can fix the netcode/hit-reg/tick-rate, then they will make me happy. That is a pretty big IF. I am tired at being at a disadvantage for having a very low ping.

Yea, I'm thinking the same. I'd love if the tick rate and hit-reg improvements are real and well-implemented. Not getting killed by a dude who fires into a wall as he strafes would immediately remove half the tilt I experience.

Auctopus

It's times like these that I appreciate the Jeff Kaplan Dev Updates for Overwatch. It's a shame that in relation, Ubisoft is such a faceless company.

We've just gotta sort of hope, haha.

CrayToes

Yea, I'm thinking the same. I'd love if the tick rate and hit-reg improvements are real and well-implemented. Not getting killed by a dude who fires into a wall as he strafes would immediately remove half the tilt I experience.

If they can fix the netcode/hit-reg/tick-rate, then they will make me happy. That is a pretty big IF. I am tired at being at a disadvantage for having a very low ping.

Couldn't agree more.

andycapps

It's times like these that I appreciate the Jeff Kaplan Dev Updates for Overwatch. It's a shame that in relation, Ubisoft is such a faceless company.

We've just gotta sort of hope, haha.

Epi and that Justin dude are fairly involved on Reddit. That's where their communication is for the most part.

OG Kush

Wait I'm a bit confused? What country operators were we meant to be getting this month? Are they ones pushed to August? And we're getting 3 operators in another one of the reinforcements?

KodaRuss

Wait I'm a bit confused? What country operators were we meant to be getting this month? Are they ones pushed to August? And we're getting 3 operators in another one of the reinforcements?

Hong Kong, which they have done a lot of work on. So they are pushing back the Hong Kong ones to Season 3. We get 1 Polish operator with the 2 Hong Kong ops and 1 Polish op with the 2 Korean.

So

Season 2 - Nothing

Season 3 - Hong Kong (which was supposed to be Season 2) with 1 Polish

Season 4 - South Korea with 1 Polish

andycapps

Instead of 2 the next 3 seasons you're getting none this next one and 3 the 2 after.

nOoblet16

It's so infuriating when people kick you simply because you are the last person to be alive.

Was in a match where I was playing Jaeger, the map was consulate, location was garage and game mode bomb. I obviously can't cover every fuckin area with my ADS so why not just fuckin camp near my ADS if you wanna camp in a room that is open for fuze to bomb?

They all die in less than a minute and kill no one, its 1 v 4 (the enemy team kills one of their own by mistake) and I'm alone, I take a guy out and the 2nd guy gets a peekers advantage and kills me. Game over in 2 minutes and I get kicked.

Wtf? Not my fault you guys can't survive or kill for shit !

nOoblet16

if I bought year2 id be pissed by this delay lol
since i didnt im not too upset, more time to grind renown
I don't really care about that tbh.
Cause all the renown I get would go for skins and stuff.

The only thing I find annoying is that when you buy season pass they give you 1200 R6 credit, which is alright but it's just a little bit less than what you need to even buy one vintage skin. Lol

It's so infuriating when people kick you simply because you are the last person to be alive.

Was in a match where I was playing Jaeger, the map was consulate, location was garage and game mode bomb. I obviously can't cover every fuckin area with my ADS so why not just fuckin camp near my ADS if you wanna camp in a room that is open for fuze to bomb?

They all die in less than a minute and kill no one, its 1 v 4 (the enemy team kills one of their own by mistake) and I'm alone, I take a guy out and the 2nd guy gets a peekers advantage and kills me. Game over in 2 minutes and I get kicked.

Wtf? Not my fault you guys can't survive or kill for shit !

Every match I play, there is someone spectating because they were always the first to die screaming what to do. If they were so smart, they still be alive. They don't see it that way

It's unfortunate that it's delayed and yeah it would be great if they could do the new operators and map at the same time as these fixes, but honestly if that's what they need to do then they should do it. As long as they get it right.

TCRS

Banned
I like all maps. It really depends where the container/bomb/hostage is.

also kind of neat they are investing so much time and resources in a game that old with probably not that many players. at least on ps4 I keep seeing a lot of same names day in day out. or maybe they just play at the same time as me.

KodaRuss

I like all maps. It really depends where the container/bomb/hostage is.

also kind of neat they are investing so much time and resources in a game that old with probably not that many players. at least on ps4 I keep seeing a lot of same names day in day out. or maybe they just play at the same time as me.

We do not have official sales numbers but the game has done well and has extremely strong legs. I have not paid much attention to the other platforms but it has been in the Top 20 on PSN sales almost every month after last summer when the word of mouth finally took off.

It doesnt seem like they have really had to try to get people to buy the game recently either, no free weekends in a long time and they have not gotten that creative with the packages you can buy with the game (especially not on consoles).

Don't waste the time trying to fix a game that is broken in the code base and releases next year a sequel.

I am not so sure we will see a sequel for this game for a while. Just keep adding to this one and fix it for good.

Honestly, if they are really thinking about a sequel I hope they keep everything about the MP the exact same and even keep all of the maps but add some new modes.

But for the sequel add a co-op campaign and they will sell like crazy imo.

DQDQDQ

add some new modes.

I'm looking forward to the E3 where they announce the sequel with "all new game modes" like "triple spectator mode" where three people can spectate a private match, and "blinking HUD game mode" where all the text on the HUD endlessly blinks, available in custom matches only.

I'll be here all week

KodaRuss

Just read the interview on PCGamesN (never heard of it before) but there is some good detail there.

Xavier Marquis: For the first pillar we are going to remove any part of the core that's still using peer-to-peer systems.

We have reworked all the hitboxes for every character, meaning you don't have moments where you shoot some operators that have bigger helmets and it registers as a hit - now the hits are registering purely on the human silhouette and not the whole silhouette of the operator. The second aspect is purely on hit registration. Basically, we're switching to faster servers, which is obviously going to have a direct impact on hit registration. It's going to be better and more reliable. To be very precise, [our] server was running at a tickrate of 50, and we're switching to servers with a tickrate of 60.

How is the player base split across PC and other platforms?

AR: It is almost 25% on PC, and 75% on console.

Good stuff for the most part, not sure how much of a difference we are going to see from a 50 tickrate server to a 60 but we'll see.

I thought that PC player base number was going to be higher as well.

They said they had 3 Million people at peak at the launch of Year 2 Season 1 across all platforms.

https://pcgamesn.com/rainbow-six-si...peration-health-alexandre-remy-xavier-marquis

PC player base is a surprise. Figured it would be significantly larger than console.

We want to turn the game into something that’s scaleable for the future, so that the game will continue to deliver for years. It’s an investment for the long-term.

Well, they're definitely committed. Don't see a sequel any time soon. But Im still shaking my head with how they're using the test servers

PC player base is a surprise. Figured it would be significantly larger than console.

Well, they're definitely committet. Don't see a sequel any time soon. But Im still shaking my head with how they're using the test servers

I believe one of the Ubisoft fiscal reports basically indicated that you should see a Siege sequel around FY19 at the earliest and they plan on supporting the game until that launches.

Auctopus

Is increasing the tick rate by 10 really going to help

From the 'Netcode' Wikipedia article:

A single update of a game simulation is known as a tick. The rate at which the simulation is run on a server is referred often to as the server's tickrate; this is essentially the server equivalent of a client's frame rate, absent any rendering system.[4] Tickrate is limited by the length of time it takes to run the simulation, and is often intentionally limited further to reduce instability introduced by a fluctuating tickrate, and to reduce CPU and data transmission costs. A lower tickrate increases latency in the synchronization of the game simulation between the server and clients.[5] Tickrate for games like first-person shooters can vary from 60 ticks per seconds for games like Quake or Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in competitive mode to 30 ticks per seconds for games like Battlefield 4 and Titanfall.[citation needed] A lower tickrate also naturally reduces the precision of the simulation,[4] which itself might cause problems if taken too far, or if the client and server simulations are running at significantly different rates.

Games may limit the number of times per second that updates are sent to a particular client, and/or are sent about particular objects in the game's world. Because of limitations in the amount of bandwidth available, and the CPU time that's taken by network communication, some games prioritize certain critical communication while limiting the frequency and priority of less important information.[4][6] As with the tickrate, this effectively increases the synchronization latency. Game engines may also reduce the precision of some values sent over the network to help with bandwidth use;[6] this lack of precision may in some instances be noticeable.

Various simulation synchronization errors between machines can also fall under the "netcode issues" blanket. These may include bugs which cause the simulation to proceed differently on one machine than on another, or which cause some things to not be communicated when the user perceives that they ought to be.[1] Traditionally, real-time strategy games have used lock-step peer-to-peer networking models where it is assumed the simulation will run exactly the same on all clients; if, however, one client falls out of step for any reason, the desynchronization may compound and be unrecoverable.

DQDQDQ

I don't find the PC vs console numbers surprising. Is there a track record I don't know about of shooters that are on both PC and console that have more players on PC?

BF1 has 29,000 24-peak PC players vs 145,500 for console. I expect that's the norm when comparing PC player bases against combined consoles. Siege isn't a particularly good looking game that benefits from a super expensive PC. Why did anybody expect Siege to be different? Pro league support? The cheaper starter version?

Is increasing the tick rate by 10 really going to help

It's certainly not a big improvement like it would've been if the game had gone from a low tick rate (say, 30) to 60 (e.g. Overwatch). But combined with the hit-reg improvements (now just silhouette and not helmets), it should feel like a pretty good and noticeable jump. The game already got a massive boost in that regard much earlier (it was a tick rate of 30 at launch).

But that PC Gamer article just brings up something that I thought was already done. Ubisoft already stated that the servers were running at a tick rate of 60 after a patch shortly after launch . So some time after, the servers were downgraded to a tick rate of 50 or Ubisoft lied about the initial change.

Regardless, I think the bigger news here will be the hit-reg improvements and the question is how good they will be.

I don't find the PC vs console numbers surprising. Is there a track record I don't know about of shooters that are on both PC and console that have more players on PC?

BF1 has 29,000 24-peak PC players vs 145,500 for console. I expect that's the norm when comparing PC player bases against combined consoles. Siege isn't a particularly good looking game that benefits from a super expensive PC. Why did anybody expect Siege to be different? Pro league support? The cheaper starter version?

I expected the PC version to be more popular because of players trickling away from CSGO. But I guess all Tom Clancy games are generally way more popular on console so it's not really a surprise.

With that said, if you use communities like the reddit, then it gives a very skewed impression, as I'd say the majority on their, are PC players. When I have posted gifs and stuff, I have had users mock them because of 'console auto aim' and nonsense like that.

andycapps

Just read the interview on PCGamesN (never heard of it before) but there is some good detail there.

Good stuff for the most part, not sure how much of a difference we are going to see from a 50 tickrate server to a 60 but we'll see.

I thought that PC player base number was going to be higher as well.

They said they had 3 Million people at peak at the launch of Year 2 Season 1 across all platforms.

https://pcgamesn.com/rainbow-six-si...peration-health-alexandre-remy-xavier-marquis

Exec said 50 to 60 tick rate will mean a 3.33 ms faster refresh.

Top Bottom