• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

90 hours for me

Don't worry if it makes you feel better I have 1400 hours on DotA 2

Haha, it never bothers me much. Damn that's an insane time in DotA 2. I've always been a League pleb and you don't wanna know my time in that... (or money spent on cosmetics 😨)

Still watch it competitively though, because it's so much more interesting than LoL competitive play.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
This may be a minor thing but not making noise separates the average from the good. I've had too many times where I was able to take out a guy easily because I heard him or her slightly moving around in a corner. Maybe this isn't a thing in ranked (I wouldn't know since I've just started playing the game) but this seems to be a thing in casual. With good headphones, you can literally hear everything around you and if the enemy improperly moves near you, you will know basically where they are.

thats the othjer thing the ps4 gold headset is shit for this game, i configured many diff settings and you cant hear shit. You can hear footsteps vaguley, but in no way can I hear other movements clearly which again is irritating because this headset for overwatch is fantastic, this game not so much. Not enough umph in it to hear the things i need to hear

thats the othjer thing the ps4 gold headset is shit for this game, i configured many diff settings and you cant hear shit. You can hear footsteps vaguley, but in no way can I hear other movements clearly which again is irritating because this headset for overwatch is fantastic, this game not so much. Not enough umph in it to hear the things i need to hear

I think it's this game. I have more trouble with this game than any others by far, as far as audio is concerned. I have Astro A40 TRs for reference.

nOoblet16

Yeah trying to nerf Glaz some. They moved the smokes to Jackal and Fuze. Trying to make those characters more useful and bring the pick rate down a little on Ash and Thermite, and boost Jackal and Fuze.

Also making it from 2 body shots to down with Glaz to 3, and making recoil a bit more. This Brazilian team in the finals is really good, but Penta is too.
See people pick Thermite because his utility is too good + claymore and good gun. But you can do without him because of Hibana and there are operators with similar/better guns, so it's not like old days when he was absolutely must. However Ash's utility is far less useful as any walls worth breaching are usually reinforced and her launcher is better used to get rid of shields, barb wires and the occasional kill from blowing up the floor underneath someone.

Unlike Thermite however, people don't pick Ash for her utility but because of her tiny hitboxes and 3 speed mixed with her good fun. Often it almost feels like cheating going up against ash due to how enormously hard it is to hit her and how good her gun is at killing. I don't get this feeling when going up against Thermite.

Though the one thing I'd like to be looked into is Thatcher's emp, there's basically no point putting mute charge or batteries in most matches anymore because Thatcher can take them all out in one go from the outside without even 1% risk. That bit at the end right there is why I want it to be looked into, it takes no skill and zero risk to get rid of all these devices as you can emp everything from the outside. Compare this to the other operator that's capable of disabling electronics i.e. Twitch who actually has to risk her drones and manually get rid of each devices one by one from the inside.

I guess you could say that one of the reasons Thermite is so prevalent and powerful in terms of utility is because of how easy, safe and quick it is to disable everything using Thatcher.

andycapps

See people pick Thermite because his utility is too good + claymore and good gun. But you can do without him because of Hibana and there are operators with similar/better guns, so it's not like old days when he was absolutely must. However Ash's utility is far less useful as any walls worth breaching are usually reinforced and her launcher is better used to get rid of shields, barb wires and the occasional kill from blowing up the floor underneath someone.

Unlike Thermite however, people don't pick Ash for her utility but because of her tiny hitboxes and 3 speed mixed with her good fun. Often it almost feels like cheating going up against ash due to how enormously hard it is to hit her and how good her gun is at killing. I don't get this feeling when going up against Thermite.

Though the one thing I'd like to be looked into is Thatcher's emp, there's basically no point putting mute charge or batteries in most matches anymore because Thatcher can take them all out in one go from the outside without even 1% risk. That bit at the end right there is why I want it to be looked into, it takes no skill and zero risk to get rid of all these devices as you can emp everything from the outside. Compare this to the other operator that's capable of disabling electronics i.e. Twitch who actually has to risk her drones and manually get rid of each devices one by one from the inside.

I guess you could say that one of the reasons Thermite is so prevalent and powerful in terms of utility is because of how easy, safe and quick it is to disable everything using Thatcher.
Yeah Ash is still going to be a must pick. Her gun and speed make if so you can Ash rush teams and get a couple kills while they're still setting up and give your team intel if you die.

Anon67

Damn that sucks. I'm rocking the $60 Turtle Beach X11s from 2011 and while the quality could be better, it gets the job done.

I'm using Steelseries H Wireless and they're incredible (think they've been rebranded as SIberia 800 now). Able to hear pretty well everything, can even occasionally hear Cav while she's silent stepping. My friend does drastically better when I'm spectating him and can tell him when someone's going to try and sneak behind him.

Sound is fine on my Sennheisers. Only minor issues with going into drone cams having inverted sound or the ocassionally really strange sound location sources. Mostly great though.

Maddocks

How healthy is the player base on PS4? Tempted to get this while it's on sale on PSN

Lots and lots of people. Me and my friends still play it nightly, and never really have trouble finding matches. Longest wait for a match was 8 minutes, shortest was 3 seconds. Average wait for me is 2 minutes.

it is fun, always changing, a lot of great operators even though I only use one ash, since I have 70 hours on her alone lol I'm at 380 hours with the game and I don't plan on stopping because its the only game that is never the same match in and match out. Always changing and always new ways to attack and defend. 380 hours and just yesterday I leaned something new on a map I have played hundreds of times. Get it and you will not regret it.

Anon67

How do you have your mics set up? Do you connect your headphones to your controller and get audio from there? I instead connect my headphones to an optical cable using a converter to get uncompressed audio.

How do you have your mics set up? Do you connect your headphones to your controller and get audio from there? I instead connect my headphones to an optical cable using a converter to get uncompressed audio.

Mod mic attached to my Sennheisers that I use on both PC and PS4. Since my PC has a dedicated sound card, I don't have to worry about much there.

On PS4, I use the Astro Mixamp to connect to the PS4 via optical and plug in my headphones and mic into that. Allows me to control game audio and party audio individually via the mixamp which is nice.

Keihart

you can hear sound good enough even with 10 buck earphones connected to the ds4 jack, is all about interpretation. I made the test a while back, the sound is different but it's not limiting.

DoomGyver

I just upgraded from a first gen astro mixamp to the newer astro pro tr and the equalizer adjustments made my Sennheiser PC360s come alive. With the older mixamp I had a difficult time placing the direction an enemy was coming from. Now I can even tell if they're on the floor above me, or coming from any direction. A good mixamp and a good pair of headphones completely changes the game.

Keihart

I just upgraded from a first gen astro mixamp to the newer astro pro tr and the equalizer adjustments made my Sennheiser PC360s come alive. With the older mixamp I had a difficult time placing the direction an enemy was coming from. Now I can even tell if they're on the floor above me, or coming from any direction. A good mixamp and a good pair of headphones completely changes the game.

you can do that with basic headphones or earphones, just have to know how sound works. When a sound is muffled, when a sound follows the shortest path what surface is in which direction , etc. You can even tell which operator is by the sound of the gun after a while and even the sound of an a attacker or defender checking cameras and drones close to you.

I normally use some A40s but i have played with cheap earphones, they are just as useful.

KodaRuss

I think i am going to be replacing my Golds as well. I kinda hate how the sound works with this game and the Golds. I am constantly either not hearing footsteps or just off on where it sounds like the enemy is.

DQDQDQ

I use the Golds and have no trouble hearing everything I need to. As somebody mentioned, you can pick out things down to knowing it's a Blackbeard or Glaz or etc shooting near you. I can hear people hopping on and off cameras, certainly not a problem with the Gold headset.

Sometimes weird things seem to happen with the sound propagation, but that's something I see complained about by many people and is not exclusive to any particular headset. None of us who have played this game a lot should be surprised that weird broken things happen at times in Siege.

And I don't mean to be condescending, and I'm not naming any andys here, but do make sure you're wearing the headset the right way if you're hearing things that aren't matching what you end up seeing. Know one person who was literally wearing the headphones backwards. The side with the mute button should be on your left ear. Make sure you have virtual surround sound turned on. Then use the switch on the front of your left ear (as you're wearing them) to lower and raise the game volume in relation to party chat.

I do have to make small adjustments to the levels based on who I'm playing with. Most people I can hear fine but somebody's son can range from quiet mumbling to excitable screaming and you just have to use the balance switch in combination with volume until you can hear both the game and your teammates.

I use the Golds and have no trouble hearing everything I need to. As somebody mentioned, you can pick out things down to knowing it's a Blackbeard or Glaz or etc shooting near you. I can hear people hopping on and off cameras, certainly not a problem with the Gold headset.

Sometimes weird things seem to happen with the sound propagation, but that's something I see complained about by many people and is not exclusive to any particular headset. None of us who have played this game a lot should be surprised that weird broken things happen at times in Siege.

And I don't mean to be condescending, and I'm not naming any andys here, but do make sure you're wearing the headset the right way if you're hearing things that aren't matching what you end up seeing. Know one person who was literally wearing the headphones backwards. The side with the mute button should be on your left ear. Make sure you have virtual surround sound turned on. Then use the switch on the front of your left ear (as you're wearing them) to lower and raise the game volume in relation to party chat.

I do have to make small adjustments to the levels based on who I'm playing with. Most people I can hear fine but somebody's son can range from quiet mumbling to excitable screaming and you just have to use the balance switch in combination with volume until you can hear both the game and your teammates.

I think you made all of this up. Sad!

andycapps

That wasn't even with the Gold's though. I never use them because I dislike how they sound.

DQDQDQ

That wasn't even with the Gold's though. I never use them because I dislike how they sound.

You know the point isn't what headset it was, but simply that sometimes people put them on backwards without realizing. I think it's a bit tougher to do that with the Golds given the way they're shaped, but still possible.

The Golds work just fine for Siege, anybody placing blame on them for sound cues not being accurate is either not bothering to adjust the levels or looking for excuses. A more expensive headset may sound better to an audiophile, but it isn't going to really pinpoint sound any differently. If you aren't hearing footsteps wearing Golds, you're doing something wrong.

A40's were a lot more comfortable when I was trying sets on, but in the end decided it wasn't worth over double the price for me.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

what setting you use then?

Just remember that sound works differently in Siege than in another games. The propogation means it will travel via the quickest way rather than directly through something. Think there's a couple of YouTube videos that explain it far more clearly and allow you to use it to your advantage far better.

andycapps

Says gameplay & animation fixes in the PS4 notes, so I expected some changes.
Think they just did what someone else said, changed the background picture and reset ranks. Maybe they did some behind the scenes work to prep for patch 2.2.1 but they didn't say anything about it.

KodaRuss

HOLY SHIT ITS UPDATING DOES THIS MEAN THE MATCHMAKING IS FIXED

Matchmaking has been stellar in Casual for a little bit now. I am rarely waiting more than a minute now.

Back to the headset stuff, I need to mess with my settings a little bit as I used the Golds a lot last night but I think my biggest problem is when my team wont shut up.

Teammate that is dead - "How did you not hear that guy"

Me - "All I could hear for the past 30 seconds was your dog barking and your mom yelling at you to go to bed"

Matchmaking has been stellar in Casual for a little bit now. I am rarely waiting more than a minute now.

Back to the headset stuff, I need to mess with my settings a little bit as I used the Golds a lot last night but I think my biggest problem is when my team wont shut up.

Me - "All I could hear for the past 30 seconds was your dog barking and your mom yelling at you to go to bed"

I have the in-game voice chat volume to 50. I'd rather miss a call out than in-game audio tbh. And I mute liberally because screw heavy breathing noises, kids yelling etc.

--

Also, Operation Health deploying with 0 fixes is a joke. I'm firmly going with the popular theory that they had a map and operators ready to go before realizing how filled with bugs it all was. And this is just an attempt to save face at the very last minute. They probably came up with Operation Health a couple of days before they announced it.

How do you not have a single patch to go after an entire seasons worth of work?

There are a bunch of 12 year old kids with microphones playing Siege that will spend the entire game backseat driving everybody else on the team. I'll be the last one alive and I'll be desperately listening for footsteps and all I can hear is some kid prattling away about some YouTube video he watched about team comp or whatever. Then when I die they will just lay into me about how I should have done better. It drives me bananas because they are kids, so I don't feel comfortable telling then to shut up like an adult who is pissing me off.

Auctopus

Whatever matchmaking issues that seem improved in this update are a placebo effect. The patch just rearranges some Operator load outs, changes Glaz a bit but doesn't take away his smokes and puts a dumb looking main menu up.

Auctopus

I know they're easy targets but starting your Operation Health Dev Diary with your Brand Director and Creative Director say a lot.

I know their System/Network Architect comes up a little later but it should've got straight to the down and dirty.

KodaRuss

I know they're easy targets but starting your Operation Health Dev Diary with your Brand Director and Creative Director say a lot.

I know their System/Network Architect comes up a little later but it should've got straight to the down and dirty.

All I really have to say is the next three operators and the next map better be damn good with not a single bug
LOL!!!

Whatever matchmaking issues that seem improved in this update are a placebo effect. The patch just rearranges some Operator load outs, changes Glaz a bit but doesn't take away his smokes and puts a dumb looking main menu up.

Ubi-Zoro said that the Glaz balance changes aren't in this patch, i assume he meant they will be in 2.2.1

So they didn't actually fix the matchmaking!? I was one of the people stanning for this game early on, but at this point I'm just done. I don't even want to think about how much time I spent this year staring vacantly at the matchmaking screen.

Ubi really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory on this game. GG.

DQDQDQ

what setting you use then?

I assume you're playing in a party for this. There's not a magic setting. You use the rocker button on the front of your left ear to adjust the level of game sound vs party sound. Some people talk quieter or just have a mic that is harder to hear.

If you click up on the rocker, it will make the game sound louder with the tradeoff of party chat being quieter. If you click it down, the reverse.

I use this in combination with the overall volume (rocker button on the back of left ear) to get it where it needs to be. Generally if I'm with somebody harder to hear I adjust it so the party chat is slightly too quiet for my liking, then raise the overall volume a notch or two. This does make the game itself louder than I would normally have it at if I weren't playing a game with party chat, but it lets me hear everybody without sacrificing the important game sounds.

You need to get used to the controls and be able to adjust them on the fly in the middle of rounds when necessary. If you want my specific settings I will zero it out and count the number of presses for you, but how you like it probably won't be the same as how I like it.

As others have said, if people are yelling unhelpful call outs over the top of your game volume or screaming about how unfairly they died for 30 seconds after they died, you're still going to have trouble, but that's not a problem with Golds either.

andycapps

So they didn't actually fix the matchmaking!? I was one of the people stanning for this game early on, but at this point I'm just done. I don't even want to think about how much time I spent this year staring vacantly at the matchmaking screen.

Ubi really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory on this game. GG.
Think one step matchmaking is on the TTS right now. I could download that and see.

Ended platinum 1 end of last season. After 10 placement games 7W 3L I placed gold 2. Feelsbadman
Back to earning 99 points for a win and 67 for a loss I guess (real numbers)

Disgraced

like you guys couldn't even launch this with new cosmetics

those plain black and/or blue uniforms everyone asks for every day

a single item for doc

something that isn't a wallpaper

something

some

thing

Top Bottom