• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

jts

...hate me...
Could be good for Nintendo to expand even further the Switch's reach.

Come for PC streaming, stay for Nintendo games (and otherwise native games).

Murdamonk

If this actually happens, it'll be game over. Switch will dominate the console cycle.

Imagine all those 3rd party PC games playable on Switch. No more "Switch has no gamez."

As long as your Switch is connected to wi-fi you could stream PC games to the Switch from your PC.

It will be like Remote play and Nvidia Gamestream then?

Wondering if you will still need a Nvidia cards on your PC, tho..

You really think that it will dominated the PS4? It still has a long way to go before it reaches ps4 number.

Could be good for Nintendo to expand even further the Switch's reach.

Come for PC streaming, stay for Nintendo games (and otherwise native games).

I think both the pc and ps4 userbases are big enough and different enough from what switch offers that this feature would be good to poach users into the switch ecosystem from both without harming their own software sales in any meaningful way.

Assuming this actually releases for the Switch, I might finally be able to sell my Nvidia Shield Portable (also assuming that the streaming is at least as good as on the Nvidia Shield Portable).

The Shield Portable still sells for a pretty decent price too, which surprised me when I was looking into selling it a while ago. The only thing I think i would lose is real triggers, since the Switch's are just button clicks.

I actually use my Shield pretty often for streaming games. It works pretty well (assuming you have at least a decent router) and I love being able to pretty much any PC game with it (that supports controllers of course). The only problem is that faster paced games aren't the best to use with it since you will get at least a little lag. Shooters are probably the hardest to adjust to when streaming.

I call BS. Or if I'll make a guess their "update" is probably a generic "Hi, we've received your inquiry for your software to be released on the Nintendo eShop. We hope to take a closer look and get back to you shortly."-email that'll end up with a rejection because they haven't actually looked at it yet, and when they do they sure as hell won't allow it.

Good publicity to make people hopeful for it to happen even though it never will, though.
Thinking the same but gonna hope for the best.

jonno394

Regardless of whether or not Nintendo lets this live, a small team has already figured out streaming on Switch? So, could Twitch get their act together and push an app already? Or at least, you know, Netflix, which works on the freaking 3DS?

Does any proof of this exist?

zenspider

What would the reason be for Nintendo NOT to allow this on the eshop?

My guess is it undermines indies and ports coming to Switch - why buy, say, Enter thr Gungeon again if you can stream over your PC copy?

I personally would be psyched. I have a nice little library from Steam sales but I kind of hate playing games on my PC.

Piccoro

As I said before, even if Nintendo, MS or Sony don't allow the app, it will still be possible to use this through the consoles' Internet browsers. Rainway only needs a compatible browser.
And Nintendo will sooner or later release the Switch's browser.

The Hermit

giphy.gif

JJ is Nintendo and Peter is Gaf

Drek

Regardless of whether or not Nintendo lets this live, a small team has already figured out streaming on Switch? So, could Twitch get their act together and push an app already? Or at least, you know, Netflix, which works on the freaking 3DS?

If Netflix cared to put that level of effort in it would already exist. Early in a console's life it takes the first party pushing for support to get most streaming apps on a device.

The Wii U had Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube very early in it's life simply because it was a focus for Nintendo then. It isn't on the Switch. When the unit gets close to whatever Netflix sees as critical mass they'll get with Nintendo and work something out.

Wikzo

This would really be a killer app for Switch. It seems very unrealistic - but you never know with Nintendo.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for this. Now I'll no need to drag out my laptop and controller to play my PC games in another room.

This would really be a killer app for Switch. It seems very unrealistic - but you never know with Nintendo.

Plus, we're pretty much midway through this gen. I'm sure if the right cards are played, future big titles will release on Switch alongside PS4, XOne and PC, but PC gamers who already have games from this gen already, it'd be nice to have a Switch to stream them on at the very least. I already have plenty of games I want to play on Switch, but future purchases will probably be on Switch natively except shooters. I tend to shift between controller and M&K for those games like Call of Duty.

pvpness

I ended up with a switch, which is just hanging out in a case right now but this would be amazing. Switch would end up with the most play time hands down.

I can't see how they'd NOT approve this.
Assuming it works both ways (streaming PC games to Switch and Switch games to PC) it would only be beneficial to Nintendo either way.

Your need a Switch to stream PC games to. Likewise you'd need a Switch to stream Switch games from.
It'd be 100% win-win situation for Nintendo.

Maybe this would even make it possible to stream Switch games as they appear in handheld mode, which in turn would make it possible to play games like Voez on a bigger screen and even make LPs of.

Nintendo should totally go for it in my opinion.
The fact that the official Rainway Twitter account said that they'd been contacted by Nintendo and that the devs would probably be back with good news makes me hopeful that Nintendo actually isn't leaving potential money on the table for once.

The Hermit

I can't see how they'd NOT approve this.
Assuming it works both ways (streaming PC games to Switch and Switch games to PC) it would only be beneficial to Nintendo either way.

Your need a Switch to stream PC games to. Likewise you'd need a Switch to stream Switch games from.

Maybe this would even make it possible to stream Switch games as they appear in handheld mode, which in turn would make it possible to play games like Voez on a bigger screen and even make LPs of.

Nintendo should totally go for it in my opinion.
The fact that the official Rainway Twitter account said that they'd been contacted by Nintendo and that the devs would probably be back with good news makes me hopeful that Nintendo actually isn't leaving potential money on the table for once.

People, think this through:

More time people play Steam on the Switch = less time buying/playing Switch games.

Has Rainway already said how exactly the PC-to-x-device streaming would be implemented from the PC side? I could see Nintendo potentially agreeing if it's exclusively hooked into Steam, but if it allows emulators to be streamed (or any other desktop app for that matter), there's no way.

Dremorak

Banned

What? This has exactly zero to do with online video streaming, this is about streaming games from your pc, similar to nvidia shield, limewire, etc.

Also, the reason it doesnt have netflix or twitch isnt a technical issue, almost any device can steam videos.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If this happens I'm not buying a single indie game on Switch anymore when they are dirt cheap on PC. Best of both worlds.

And it'd be hard to blame ya. Heck, no sense in buying any third party release for the Switch anymore assuming there's a PC version. Looks better and is cheaper.

This is the kind of business where they'd rather sell 10 million pieces of hardware and 100 million pieces of software than 100 million pieces of hardware used for streaming unrelated games.

And it'd be hard to blame ya. Heck, no sense in buying any third party release for the Switch anymore assuming there's a PC version. Looks better and is cheaper.
There's still plenty reason. Can play away from home, games start up far quicker while st home. I'd use this a lot, but only for games either not on Switch or ones that look/run significantly better on PC

Dambrosi

Banned
...but now with slight lag. Action games need not apply.

Also, colour me surprised that Nintendo hasn't already slapped a C&D notice hard into this project's face. It really doesn't strike me as the sort of thing Big N would allow - too many vulnerabilities for hacking, surely?

Edit: However, if this does, by some miracle, manage to see eShop release, I look forward to using the Right Joy-Con as a makeshift mouse for Unreal Tournament.

King_Moc

Banned
There legitimately has to be some sort of misunderstanding.

Or the quality is trash.

The Switch is 5Ghz wifi with a 720p screen. If you have a 5Ghz modem then streaming technology should work at a quality where you'd be hard pushed to notice it wasn't being ran on the device natively.

I just have a very hard time believing that this is actually happening.

People, think this through:

More time people play Steam on the Switch = less time buying/playing Switch games.

This is the kind of business where they'd rather sell 10 million pieces of hardware and 100 million pieces of software than 100 million pieces of hardware used for streaming unrelated games.

...so if 10 million hardware owners out of those 100 million go on to buy 100 million pieces of software while the other 90 million proceed to buy just the hardware for streaming, then did Nintendo really lose out? You all keep acting like the Nintendo faithful have gaming PCs at the ready. I'd be willing to bet that the hardcore Nintendo fan and the PC enthusiast don't intersect as much as everyone on GAF really wants to believe.

Besides, if PC gamers go out to buy Switches in droves, they are going to buy Nintendo software. Plus there are people like me, who would rather have games native on the Switch for portability even though I have a good gaming PC. I don't believe this app will officially be approved, but if it is then it's tough to see Nintendo really losing out.

...so if 10 million hardware owners out of those 100 million go on to buy 100 million pieces of software while the other 90 million proceed to buy just the hardware for streaming, then did Nintendo really lose out?
I mean, the last time they had a hot item they couldn't sell further software on it was the NES Classic and they stopped making it.

prag16

Banned
Has Rainway already said how exactly the PC-to-x-device streaming would be implemented from the PC side? I could see Nintendo potentially agreeing if it's exclusively hooked into Steam, but if it allows emulators to be streamed (or any other desktop app for that matter), there's no way.

Even then there could be ways around it. You can stream origin games via steam in-home streaming by adding the Origin client itself as a non-steam game. I guess they could just bar it from working with non-steam games if it uses steam for example.

pronk420

The Switch is 5Ghz wifi with a 720p screen. If you have a 5Ghz modem then streaming technology should work at a quality where you'd be hard pushed to notice it wasn't being ran on the device natively.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, they specifically mention being able to use it in coffee shops etc, which makes me think either they have made something amazing, or have no idea what they are talking about. If it is the latter, I'd take the whole Switch thing with a pinch of salt too.

prag16

Banned
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, they specifically mention being able to use it in coffee shops etc, which makes me think either they have made something amazing, or have no idea what they are talking about. If it is the latter, I'd take the whole Switch thing with a pinch of salt too.

I'm not expecting this to work well (or at all) outside of your own home local network (where the host PC resides).

zenspider

You can use PS4 remote play in coffee shops - hell, I played my PS4 in North Carolina on my Vita in NJ - it's just prone to lag, drops, etc.

I've been using my Vita as a portable PS4 for a bit now, even when I'm like, 300+ miles away. It works pretty well as long as the connection at home is solid.

ASaiyan

Banned
What? This has exactly zero to do with online video streaming, this is about streaming games from your pc, similar to nvidia shield, limewire, etc.

Also, the reason it doesnt have netflix or twitch isnt a technical issue, almost any device can steam videos.
I meant 'Twitch support' as in streaming games from Switch to Twitch, a la the existing system on PS4/XBone. Ninty said they were "working on" allowing users to capture game video on Switch, which I assumed meant there were still technical hurdles to getting that working. I'll admit I know next-to-nothing about this technology, so so sorry if it was a but dumb question, but what I meant was: If these devs can successfully stream games to Switch, would it be simple enough to reverse the process and stream from the Switch? Or is that a completely different animal?

Dremorak

Banned
I meant 'Twitch support' as in streaming games from Switch to Twitch, a la the existing system on PS4/XBone. Ninty said they were "working on" allowing users to capture game video on Switch, which I assumed meant there were still technical hurdles to getting that working. I'll admit I know next-to-nothing about this technology, so so sorry if it was a but dumb question, but what I meant was: If these devs can successfully stream games to Switch, would it be simple enough to reverse the process and stream from the Switch? Or is that a completely different animal?

Its a different animal. :p streaming from switch to twitch would be basically sending a video stream of whatever is happening on screen to twitch where people log on and can watch.

This is more like what the wiiu gamepad does, a video stream is sent from the console itself to the device (gamepad or in the case the switch) and inputs are send from the gamepad/switch to the console itself/ the pc.

So games installed on your pc can be pretty much viewed from your switch screen and the inputs you make are sent back to the pc and interpreted as a pc gamepad

Rainway‏ @RainwayApp 10h10 hours ago
More
To clear up confusion, Rainway is free, you do not need to buy any additional hardware or pay a subscription to use our platform.

this is weird, how do they make money then? Ads?

Pizza

Dude if I can go out and have my fucking labyrinth of games within arms reach like

lol

Bust off the joycons and belt out some sonic 3&k irl

Or like halo wars

Or gta

I hope this is good

Bsigg12

I'd be down for being able to play Nier on my Switch or Xbox One. That would be pretty great.

Also, I would probably start using my Switch more. I only play Zelda and Mario Kart on it.

Skyzard

Banned
Awesome news!

Latency with moonlight for phones and vita has been very good (uses nvidia's gamestream). Not fighting game good, but racing game (not wipeout) good.

Personally, I didn't notice that much of an upgrade when I swapped my router from 2.4 for 5GHz. I upgraded purely for streaming. I did notice a difference going from vita - > Samsung 6 edge (probably the cpu).

Top Bottom