• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

Parshias7

This probably won't be something I'd end up using much since I already have a Steam Link. Although it would depend since it sounds like this would be able to stream things other than Steam so it would have some edge case uses.

I've had some experiences with my computer hooked up through ethernet streaming to a Steam Link on 5GHz WiFi, and... it can be shaky sometimes, so I have my doubts on the ability to stream to the Switch undocked with good performance.

So for those who keep mentioning Nintendo not noticing, is there a reason why Nintendo wouldn't allow it? Doesn't hurt sales from the majority of their titles and presumably wouldn't offer a window into piracy if it's just streaming.
Um...Nintendo probably wants you to spend your time and money on their experiences, not PC. That's a pretty big reason right there

Fredrik

This probably won't be something I'd end up using much since I already have a Steam Link. Although it would depend since it sounds like this would be able to stream things other than Steam so it would have some edge case uses.

I've had some experiences with my computer hooked up through ethernet streaming to a Steam Link on 5GHz WiFi, and... it can be shaky sometimes, so I have my doubts on the ability to stream to the Switch undocked with good performance.
Depends on what you're comparing it to. On a game that is supposed to be 60fps locked you might notice a dropped frame here and there if your wifi signal is shaky but, well, does it really matter? When most multiplat console ports run at 30fps or even lower you could still get a better version through Steam Link than the native console versions, plus you can run them at PC ultra settings. It'll be glorious to have this functionality on Switch. But I doubt that it'll get green lighted past beta.

AColdDay

This will not happen. Absurd that people think this is an actual possibility. I love Borderless Gaming and I'm happy for all the success and goodwill that codesoftusa has but I flat out refuse to believe it until I see it.

mclem

Um...Nintendo probably wants you to spend your time and money on their experiences, not PC. That's a pretty big reason right there

The thing is, though, for the most part this app doesn't actually enable that. If the app didn't exist, you'd just play those titles on the PC.
The only bit where I can imagine it'd be awkward would be situations where the same title is 'competing' between Steam and eShop. One interesting question would be whether this only works on an internal network (like Steam Home Streaming), or if it'll also be effective over the greater internet.

MUnited83

For you.
Sweet so in theory, I could buy games like Sonic Generation on steam and play it on the Switch.

Is that device any good, been looking to get a small laptop for work purpose.

Well that depends entirely on the kind of work you do really. They are coming with a laptop model more oriented for people wanting to do some work on the go
iexne2yadtyrwg5vyec8.png

1-3-1.fw.png

I swear to god about 90% of you have never streamed video games

or you sillyheads wouldn't be suggesting that people are going to, en masse, buy all their games and stream from their gaming PC (which everyone apparently owns now!) instead of purchasing the native, portable version for the Switch. Or that that would even be a serious consideration on Nintendo's part.
I'm -never- going to buy a PC version to play on Switch (with inherent latency, a drop in visual quality, and no portability outside of my home) instead of just the Switch version. That's a silly thought.

Durante

Is that device any good, been looking to get a small laptop for work purpose.
I think the GPD Win is surprisingly good for its purpose and especially at its price, and it's awesome to be able to pocket large parts of your PC game library, but I'd say it's too small to do useful work on.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

or you sillyheads wouldn't be suggesting that people are going to, en masse, buy all their games and stream from their gaming PC (which everyone apparently owns now!) instead of purchasing the native, portable version for the Switch. Or that that would even be a serious consideration on Nintendo's part.
I'm -never- going to buy a PC version to play on Switch instead of just the Switch version. That's a silly thought.

The PC version is typically cheaper and offers better graphics; I can imagine most Switch owners that own Gaming PCs would likely go the streaming route most of the time.

Same. It could kill third-party support.

1) it's going to suck or not work at all unless you are at home.
2) even in the home, a game running on the switch is going to have a lot less lag than a game running through streaming. Moreover, the stream is likely to be capped at a res of 720p with a low bitrate to sustain streaming video.
3) there's some setup likely to be involved on the windows side so it's going to discourage those who don't like to fiddle to make things work.
4) the person has to own a decent rig to make it worthwhile.

So, with all that said, this thing would almost certainly only be used in cases where there will never be any chance of the game coming to Switch.

The PC version is typically cheaper and offers better graphics; I can imagine most Switch owners that own Gaming PCs would likely go the streaming route most of the time.

No, I can imagine most Switch owners actually going with the version that doesn't require additional running hardware to use. I can imagine most Switch owners going with the version that runs natively without latency both portably and docked, anywhere they want, if they actually intend on using the Switch to play that game.

I can't believe people actually think this. Have you ever used in-home streaming? It's great but it's not native. It's not as good and people will never see it as being as good, or as convenient, as just running a game natively.

In my home I've got three gaming PCs
three PS TVs
three Steam Links
an Xbox One and PS4 Pro
and a Vita

and all but the Vita are wired to one another on a home network and hooked up to a great router. Shit's great. I've got the best possible setup for remote play.
EVEN SO I wouldn't consider streaming from PC a replacement for games running natively on capable hardware.

Cerium

You can't kill what's already dead /s

No but really people are overestimating how widely this feature would be used and how much it would affect native games. It caters to a very small niche. And the most attractive part of native Switch software, the ability to play it anywhere unconditionally, is unaffected.

I don't get why this is such an outlandish thing to most people here. Moonlight is available on iOS and the Google Store as well and does the same thing.

So are a gazillion clone games with stolen assets and names deliberately chosen to piggyback on the success of the game being cloned. Somehow I doubt we'll see a flood of these on Switch.

DocSeuss

You underestimate the implications of this App. This App would basically allow other platforms to use Nintendo's own hardware. Even if that other platform is the PC it makes literally no sense at all to allow this. Unless Nintendo actually wants to introduce something like this themselves and has set guidelines, this will never happen.

EA Access does this to a degree and Sony said no as well. MS said "screw it, all our games are on PC too anyway and we need EA".

No sense?

It:

1) is consumer friendly (so yeah, for Nintendo, this makes no sense)

2) it gets people into the Switch ecosystem ("ooh, I'll buy a switch to do this! now that I own a switch, I might as well buy games that work on the hardware, rather than games that are running on my PC and displayed on my switch!")

3) it isn't giving devs access to the switch hardware any more than steam link gives devs access to steam link hardware, lol

You can't kill what's already dead /s

No but really people are overestimating how widely this feature would be used and how much it would affect native games. It caters to a very small niche. And the most attractive part of native Switch software, the ability to play it anywhere unconditionally, is unaffected.

We're talking about less than one percent of the user base using a feature that's only useful around the home. With lag. I'd use the heck out of it, because I'm a technology nerd. Millions won't.

Alienfan

If this doesn't happen, aside from wishing a PR nightmare on Nintendo for not allowing it, I really hope someone finds a way to get apps onto the system without going through their store. This would be absolutely amazing being able to play steam games while in bed, another use for the system that has very few at the moment. Latency on the Xbox one to PC streaming isn't that noticeable, so. I think people might be exaggerating how bad it would be

ramparter

Banned
If this doesn't happen, aside from wishing a PR nightmare on Nintendo for not allowing it, I really hope someone finds a way to get apps onto the system without going through their store. This would be absolutely amazing being able to play steam games while in bed, another use for the system that has very few at the moment. Latency on the Xbox one to PC streaming isn't that noticeable, so. I think people might be exaggerating how bad it would be
Lol PR nightmare for not allowing sonething they were never supposed to and never promised and 97% of consumers wont find about?

Since this news dropped I've been imagining an Nvidia Gamestream announcement at E3.
It'd definitely be a megaton level announcement for me. Gets the Switch closer to what I always wanted it to be: An Nvidia shield with the Nintendo seal of quality (maybe Nintendo will consider android again next gen, but I kind of doubt it. The Switch hardware as is with added google play store support that treated the joy cons as a gamepad would have been amazing. It'd be the end of software droughts and would have made some mobile experiences more appealing to the physical buttons crowd).

That's cool but there's no way that Nintendo or Microsoft would be cool with this. They're not content to just sell you the hardware and let Valve make all the real cash on software.

So really, do we have confirmation that this guy has a dev kit and approval to launch on the eshop? Or is this another seasons of heaven, faith trust and pixie dust type deal?

Akai XIII

Ah well that solves that then. Thanks for the insight.

Well I'm not sure you'd buy a Switch for this and this alone. Besides, you would need a fairly decent(ish) PC to make the most of it.

It's not like it detracts anything from the Switch. If third parties aren't porting to the Switch anyway, what does Nintendo care if people play them via an app on their hardware?

The only problem could be emulation.

I'm not sure Nintendo will be keen on having an open source github project on the eshop, though. That's asking for someone to program in an app permissions-level exploit and open up unsigned code execution.

Insaniac

I'm -never- going to buy a PC version to play on Switch (with inherent latency, a drop in visual quality, and no portability outside of my home) instead of just the Switch version. That's a silly thought.

This is my thought too. It'd be nice to play Undertale on my switch, or try out various other steam games, but i'd always opt for the switch version of a game over streaming from my PC.

Well I'm not sure you'd buy a Switch for this and this alone. Besides, you would need a fairly decent(ish) PC to make the most of it.

It's not like it detracts anything from the Switch. If third parties aren't porting to the Switch anyway, what does Nintendo care if people play them via an app on their hardware?

The only problem could be emulation.

Zero people could use it and Nintendo would still say no. We're taking about the same company that takes 3 years to give games price drops. You think opening this can of worms is on the agenda? Hell no.

And the third party talk I'm seeing in this thread is complete fan fiction. So because Nintendo's third party situation sucks you think they'll just throw their hands in the air and say "fuck it?" All that does is decrease demand for money-making games on their popular system. It's not happening.

Piers

I can understand why this would be useful, just can't imagine how, exactly.
Won't most people who have access to the PC be gaming there regardless? If someone had else had to use it, wouldn't the game be hogging up resources for them? (Or likewise, web browsers for the game)

Cerium

I can understand why this would be useful, just can't imagine how, exactly.
Won't most people who have access to the PC be gaming there regardless? If someone had else had to use it, wouldn't the game be hogging up resources for them? (Or likewise, web browsers for the game)

It's for when people feel like PC gaming on the couch or in bed.

tkscz

It really couldn't. First, you assume everyone who owns a Switch owns a gaming PC. While there are those who do, the majority of switch owners probably do not. Second, streaming isn't good enough to straight up replace having the game yet, still issues to work out there.

Top Bottom