• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

I don't get why this is such an outlandish thing to most people here. Moonlight is available on iOS and the Google Store as well and does the same thing.

tsab

off TV play my steam games to Switch? fucking day one.

I was kinda wishing this, but always thought that Nintendo will decline this kind of apps

On the one hand, if Nintendo were to allow this, they would open themselves to the risk of people simply not buying games for the Switch, reducing Nintendo's own potential profit margins.

On the other hand, this could encourage people who view the switch as a cool tablet, but aren't that big on Nintendo games, to buy the system anyway - which is still some profit of Nintendo, as I believe they don't sell these things at a loss. Plus once a system is in people's hands, then they can at least be coaxed to try and purchase exclusive titles.

I mean, this could be used to have the Switch supplant the GPD Win as a de facto, 'portable' (with the GPD Win being genuinely so) PC, which feels like it'd be a neat little place for the Switch to position itself.

If Nintendo allow it though.

The best compromise would be to block streaming games that have a Switch port, so you can stream all the rest. I would be down with that

Zaph

I don't get why this is such an outlandish thing to most people here. Moonlight is available on iOS and the Google Store as well and does the same thing.

Because non-Nintendo approved games can essentially be 'played' on a Nintendo system. Apple and Google aren't game companies.

I would love for it to happen, but I won't believe it until it's on my Switch.

Cepheus

I hope this happens so badly. Then I wouldn't have to buy a second Xbox One controller to play Nidhogg, Gang Beasts etc and I won't have to wait for them to get Switch ports.

Nbz

It's outlandish because this is Nintendo we're talking about. iOS and Google aren't apt comparisons when they are open to pretty much anything

Sevenfold

Was Civ the best example? I mean we can't use touchscreen surely, and even if we could, touchscreen + latency? Eugh. Regardless, this is awesome news.

Vuze

Yeah, won't believe it until I see this on the store. I would have considered Nvidias GameStream to have a very low chance of making an appearance on Switch but a completly third party app for streaming games? Nah.

It would be dope af though.

Durante

People are adamant something like this won't be in the shop but I've been of the opinion that Nintendo would bundle Nvidia's Grid into their online subscription service. That would allow Nintendo to earn royalties from every game streamed through Grid.
How do you think this would work?
  • Nvidia reducing their royalties so that Nintendo gets some? - Doesn't seem likely, both companies like their profit margins.
  • Nintendo sharing royalties with the publishers? - Why would they.
  • Higher cost to the customer on Switch than on other platforms? - Sounds like a PR nightmare.

In general, I'm still of the opinion that people playing games outside their ecosystem on Switch is the last thing Nintendo wants.

The best compromise would be to block streaming games that have a Switch port, so you can stream all the rest. I would be down with that
If you're streaming from a PC there's no way to do that.

off TV play my steam games to Switch? fucking day one.

I was kinda wishing this, but always thought that Nintendo will decline this kind of apps

That would depend on the nature of the streaming. If it's general, then there's no way to verify (and thus, block) games based on whether or not there's an available switch port. If it's specific to Steam and such, then maybe, but I imagine it would become an annoyance, even if an understandable one.

Kouriozan

Would be very interest for replaying my old PC games like Sonic Generations (while waiting for Forces).
I see in the Reddit thread it's going to be free, I'd pay for this honestly.

Shengar

If it can stream emulators from your PC to your Switch, that reduces a big revenue stream for Nintendo.

Because people would be playing games they bought on Steam or the App Store (also apparently streams mobile games) rather than games they bought from Nintendo.

You're overestimating the overlap between majority of Switch and PC owner. Not to mention streaming from PC to portable isn't that well used outside of enthusiast community.

I dont see a problem since those who want high fidelity and performance already buy their games on pc. Nobody's goona buy a high end pc for stream games to the Switch so,I can see Nintendo allowing this

ParityBit

I wonder if it will show up on the eShop and then get removed? Maybe it is one of those things you have to jump on within the first day or something.

FStubbs

If this happens, third party support for the Switch, especially Western third party support, would wither and die. They'd just make PC versions and tell you to stream it. Switch would instantly become just an NVidia shield with Nintendo first party games.

No way Nintendo actually lets this app get through. At best it launches for a couple of days and then gets yanked for violating the terms of service.

I can't see Microsoft allowing it either. If you're going to stream from PC to Xbone it's going to be through some Windows 10 baked in service curated directly by Microsoft.

It's outlandish because this is Nintendo we're talking about. iOS and Google aren't apt comparisons when they are open to pretty much anything

Don't they have similar restrictions Nintendo has? As in, they don't allow emulators on their store, etc.

This is basically just a streaming app. I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo does indeed allow it on the store, which could be interesting, especially since the 'lack of third party titles' problem could be reduced this way.

The smart move by Nintendo would be to allow this or to even make their own version of this thing, so you could stream whatever content you want to your Switch. People would buy a Switch for Nintendo games and the portability aspect and could still play third parties if they have a beefy-enough PC in their home.

Also, remember that there's been rumors that Valve will start partnering with TV Manufacturers to build their STEAM Link right into TV sets - Like it or not, streaming is going to be here to stay and Nintendo allowing this would just mean they're showing a lot of foresight this time around.

MUnited83

For you.
Solid argument.

No, they are not literally lawsuits, but they can lead to litigation. Companies have been sued over less, and just opening yourself up to these things is more than I'm willing to bet Nintendo wants to do.

Examples are challenging. Let me clarify, do you think any company that is trying to sell copies of a product on Switch are going to be happy with people streaming it from their PC? Nintendo made a huge deal about Skyrim in their Switch announcement, yet this app kinda destroys that concept.

The latter is the most likely scenario. I should have made that more clear.

Was unaware Nintendo controlled the Android App Store. But on a serious note, that's Nintendo's business and as far as I know they are in fact regularly taken down, and every so often they slip through the iOS store and are immediately taken down as well.

Steam Link allows you to stream Steam to your TV. TV's are not exactly a competing platform. Steam Link is no different than running a 20 foot HDMI cable across the room, but it does it wirelessly. This is streaming to other platforms, some of which compete within the gaming space.
Factually wrong. Nintendo has never taken down a emulator on Android. Because they can't, emulators are completely legal and they have no rights whatsoever over them. The IOS Store doesn't allow them as a store rule, Nintendo is not taking any of them down in IOS either.
The only emulators actually being taken down in the Google Play Store are the ones stealing the code from other emulators.

Durante

Steam Link allows you to stream Steam to your TV. TV's are not exactly a competing platform. Steam Link is no different than running a 20 foot HDMI cable across the room, but it does it wirelessly. This is streaming to other platforms, some of which compete within the gaming space.
Steam also allows me to stream to this:
nierad6u29.jpg

I don't think there's anything anyone can do to prevent that.

However, what Nintendo can and will probably do is not allow this app to be sold on their platform

Good luck getting this to work with the Switch's joke of a WiFi antenna

It can't be any worse than the PS4's. My Pro seems better, but my base PS4 would sometimes get a reduced signal when it was literally in the same room as my router.

If the Switch has an objectively weaker antenna than the PS4 did, please correct me. If not, I'll say I've had no issues with my Switch wifi range. I'm not worried.

BooJoh

I wonder if it will show up on the eShop and then get removed? Maybe it is one of those things you have to jump on within the first day or something.

The eShop isn't like the App Store. Nothing gets listed without Nintendo checking it out themselves.

Piccoro

If this happens, third party support for the Switch, especially Western third party support, would wither and die. They'd just make PC versions and tell you to stream it.

This doesn't make sense. The Vita also has remote play, and you don't see any devs saying: "We'll just make a PS4 version, if you want it on Vita, stream it." Vita versions are still coming out, despite of Remote Play.

Good god, some of the negative predictions in this thread is incredible

The app would be a great convenience, but that's about it.

This doesn't make sense. The Vita also has remote play, and you don't see any devs saying: "We'll just make a PS4 version, if you want it on Vita, stream it." Vita versions are still coming out, despite of Remote Play.
Yep!

Quasar

Wonder how well it work over wifi. I thought for instance that steam link only worked well over gigabit Ethernet.

Majukun

well i think anyone has already a tablet in his/her own home so i doubt people would use their switch over those.

Durante

well i think anyone has already a tablet in his/her own home so i doubt people would use their switch over those.
Having a single unit which integrates a screen and decent gaming controls is preferable to having them separate, at least in my opinion.

Valahart

I went from extremely excited as I was reading OP to immediately skeptical. First problem is I don't know if it would work that well, seems too miraculous. But main thing is, there's absolutely NO WAY Nintendo would even consider allowing this.

I really can't see Nintendo being okay with this, but on the other hand this would probably be a fairly unknown solution that likely wouldn't make a huge dent into Nintendo's third party sales (if/when they ever get games) so I could see it being possible.

Still super unlikely.

But god if this comes out I'm never going to need another console again. I'd probably only use it for old games that I replay all the time and new games which still miss the Switch.

jono51

Banned
Any progress on Switch hacking yet? It will probably best to emulate Switch games on PC and then stream to Switch, plus of course you would have the benefit of streaming PC games to the Switch too.

pronk420

Are other PC streaming devices able to do 60fps (over wifi)?

Edit: looking at reddit they are also saying it will work on Starbucks wifi.

I'd love to see it happen, but I'm slightly skeptical.

The Hermit

Say what?!

Man, homebrew in the switch will be amazing

While I doubt that Nintendo will approve this it would really be in their best interests to consider it as it would allow players to do most of the functions that they would have wanted from homebrew.

This is true actually. Nintendo allowing an official streaming app would greatly reduce the interest of people wanting to hack it, except pirates.

Or it can open a loophole to actually make hacking easier. I don't know actually.

Fredrik

Are other PC streaming devices able to do 60fps (over wifi)?

Edit: looking at reddit they are also saying it will work on Starbucks wifi.

I'd love to see it happen, but I'm slightly skeptical.
Steam Link runs at 60fps in my house with 5ghz wifi, not sure about other devices.

Top Bottom