• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

The title is pretty bad for what this is.

Title makes it out to be a switch only thing while in reality the guy made it to support phones, OS X, Linux, Xbox One, Switch and so on. Anything with a browser really.

The switch not having a proper browser means this is supposedly an e-shop app, that's the real news here.

Also no way in hell it's coming to e-shop imo

pizzacat

Banned
Do you think Microsoft is going to love the idea of their PC titles being played on Nintendo Switch? Or that indie developers are going to like the idea of them working to port a title from PC/Android/Xbox to Switch and everyone just streams it anyway? That's not even getting into what happens if people use it to stream Emulators, or the shear number of exploits it opens the Nintendo Switch up to. If there's a way to stream SNES games you already own to the Switch are you even going to bother using their VC and paying them for the ability to do so?
You wouldn't download a stream

Cerium

He made another post on Reddit reiterating that the platforms he listed will receive native apps. I understand the skepticism, I have some myself, but either he's lying or it's coming to the eShop.

sirap

Gonna F5 the shit out of eShop when this thing drops. Total gamechanger if it works as well as Nvidia Gamestream or steamlink.

Fredrik

The title is pretty bad for what this is.

Title makes it out to be a switch only thing while in reality the guy made it to support phones, OS X, Linux, Xbox One, Switch and so on. Anything with a browser really.
Switch doesn't have a browser though so the Switch version should be a bit different. But yeah, I get what you're saying.
Makes you think though, if this goes through, watch how every definitive edition will soon be on a Nintendo console, a portable one. Crazy.

You literally don't know what you're talking about.

Solid argument.

none of those things are lawsuits

No, they are not literally lawsuits, but they can lead to litigation. Companies have been sued over less, and just opening yourself up to these things is more than I'm willing to bet Nintendo wants to do.

I'm not sure what the hell you are even talking about. Why would Microsoft give a damn if someone is streaming a PC game to a switch? You are still playing the PC game.

Streaming is not ideal at all, and if a game is ported to switch and it's good, people will buy it.

Examples are challenging. Let me clarify, do you think any company that is trying to sell copies of a product on Switch are going to be happy with people streaming it from their PC? Nintendo made a huge deal about Skyrim in their Switch announcement, yet this app kinda destroys that concept.

None of this is grounds for a suit. Rejection from being allowed into the eShop? Absolutely. But that is it.

The latter is the most likely scenario. I should have made that more clear.

Then why is snes, nes N64 among others on the android play store? Official store. It's been there for years now.. ninty didn't take it down.

Was unaware Nintendo controlled the Android App Store. But on a serious note, that's Nintendo's business and as far as I know they are in fact regularly taken down, and every so often they slip through the iOS store and are immediately taken down as well.

Well for starters, you can already stream anything you want through Steam Link. Is Valve currently inundated with lawsuits? Moving on from that, this would appeal to a small subset of gamers who have a highly capable PC, that own games on that PC, who also own a Switch to stream to. Furthermore this would only work within the house of the PC, anyone wanting a particular indie game or VC title that is truly portable would need to actually purchase it on Switch. You're overstating the potential downsides, the major application here is to be able to stream PC only games, or any multiplat that doesn't come to the Switch but releases on the PC.

Nintendo doesn't even give a shit about emulators either btw.

Steam Link allows you to stream Steam to your TV. TV's are not exactly a competing platform. Steam Link is no different than running a 20 foot HDMI cable across the room, but it does it wirelessly. This is streaming to other platforms, some of which compete within the gaming space.

The potential benefits to Nintendo would outweigh the downsides. I'm not sure I see them allowing it, but it would be a good idea.

I'd really like to know what huge benefits they would get from this because I really see none honestly, aside from selling more hardware but at the cost of much less software?

cyba89

I'm 100% certain on three things regarding this:

1) I would love to have this on the Switch and would pay a good price if they decided to sell it on the eShop
2) This will never, ever be available on the official eShop in its current form
3) The reaction thread when their eShop application inevitably gets rejected will be glorious

Excactly this.

duckroll

Okay I'm confused as to the intent behind this thread. This seems like a general app that's targeting all platforms. Why the emphasis on Switch in particular? Secondly, where does it remotely say it is going to be on the eShop?

Flandy

Okay I'm confused as to the intent behind this thread. This seems like a general app that's targeting all platforms. Why the emphasis on Switch in particular? Secondly, where does it remotely say it is going to be on the eShop?
Read the photo in the OP

Cerium

PS4 is not getting a native app. I probably should have added Xbox to the title, but the eShop news is quite clearly cited in the OP.

ggx2ac

I'd really like to know what huge benefits they would get from this because I really see none honestly, aside from selling more hardware but at the cost of much less software?

It would be ironic that the Switch succeeds as a Wii U from being tethered to a PC.

You'd have to be sacrificing portability and possibly input latency to stream PC games.

Video streaming has been a thing already for years so it doesn't make sense for it now to be the catalyst for meteoric success due to the Switch.

Cerium

Do we know if this is a legit dev who has experience? I mean, the entire thing seems kinda... sceptical... right?
He's a well known and highly regarded developer in the PC space:

The only bullshit here is this post and others like it that insinuate that the app author is being disingenuous when he's a noted PC app developer with a great track record of making useful software. If the app doesn't make it to the e shop the blame will fall squarely on Nintendo and their antiquated policies, not the ambitions of the developer in question who has already proven his talent.

When I saw this thread I thought about how I can stream games from my pc at home like a steam link. I think people who think this will mean significant lost sales for developers are ignoring how difficult it is to get reliable streaming on the go.

Bad title. I shouldn't have to click in the post to know the app will also be available on Android/iOS and Xbox One.

People who have Android/iOS and Xbox One devices might miss this post.

Galava

Like I said ... there are alot of Nintendo emulators on the android play store.. and they have not done a thing about it.

Emulators are different, this time they have the power of decision if something goes on the eShop or not. If they see a potential decline in sales of PC ports because of this they might reject it.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
he's legit in my book, then. that app is a life saver.

He's a legit developer on PC, however I am sceptical he has the contacts within Nintendo to make the statement he has. In fact, unfortunately, it seems likely if he actually did have the contacts to make this happen he wouldn't be talking about it publicly in the first place until release.

So, with the evidence we have so far I'd say he's announced something far before actually having a release process in place.

Unfortunately the news we need here is what he doesn't seem to have yet. The approval from Nintendo. Programming the app itself is something a number of people could do (just look at Moonlight on other platforms for example), what would really be news is that Nintendo will allow such an app on their store.

I'd love to see it, but I feel the way he's talking about it at this point evidences that it's not something he's really looked into seriously at this point

Fredrik

When I saw this thread I thought about how I can stream games from my pc at home like a steam link. I think people who think this will mean significant lost sales for developers are ignoring how difficult it is to get reliable streaming on the go.
People can play in house and stream to the living room or bed or whatever, kind of like with Steam Link and nVidia Shield.
Why buy a downported 30fps Switch version of a third party game if you can play the 60fps PC ultra version? That's how it is with Steam Link, Witcher 3 through Steam Link is basically locked 60fps, can't say the same for the console versions.
Edit: Switch has quite a few unique features though and outdoor gaming is still a thing, I'd say that XB1 and PS4 devs will lose more sales.

Hoping the dev gives out details about the Switch app. Like others said we dont know if he has the backing of Nintendo.

I really feel like this is one of those cases where the dev just assumes there's no reason why they'd say no and just assumes everything will work out without actually talking to Nintendo.

Fredrik

I really feel like this is one of those cases where the dev just assumes there's no reason why they'd say no and just assumes everything will work out without actually talking to Nintendo.
Yeah that's how I feel too. It'll be great PR nonetheless, first from the talk at this announcement and later on by making a fuss out of the cancelation. Win-win.

Durante

Sounds cool but how are they gonna spoof the joycons for xinput? Has this been done already?
That (and all engineering required for this) is rather trivial if you can run a native program on the Switch.

The problem is doing that, since I personally don't see Nintendo allowing it.

I think this could be the case. That assumption usually happens because on PC everything does just work out.

JCH!

Definitely.

I don't see this ever getting to the eShop. I hope I'm wrong, though, sounds sweet.

Cerium

He posted a reply on /r/NintendoSwitch. Nothing important in the content, but it shows he's listening and is presumably aware of the skepticism. If nothing else, he doesn't seem to lack for confidence.

If he is putting the cart before the horse, I wonder why he wouldn't promise PS4 support as well.

He posted a reply on /r/NintendoSwitch. Nothing important in the content, but it shows he's listening and is presumably aware of the skepticism. If nothing else, he doesn't seem to lack for confidence.

If he is putting the cart before the horse, I wonder why he wouldn't promise PS4 support as well.

The fact that he hasn't said anything about a PS4 version is quite intriguing.

Why would he skip it? Is it because technical issues or certification?

The fact that he hasn't said anything about a PS4 version is quite intriguing.

Why would he skip it? Is it because technical issues or certification?

Could be a whole number of reasons. Perhaps he doesn't have enough time, or maybe he is having trouble getting ahold of Dev kits.

Either way this is an extremely interesting app. I hope it manages to come to fruition!

wildfire

Banned
People are adamant something like this won't be in the shop but I've been of the opinion that Nintendo would bundle Nvidia's Grid into their online subscription service. That would allow Nintendo to earn royalties from every game streamed through Grid.

jonno394

Could be a whole number of reasons. Perhaps he doesn't have enough time, or maybe he is having trouble getting ahold of Dev kits.

Either way this is an extremely interesting app. I hope it manages to come to fruition!

I'd be very interested to hear if and when he received a Switch Dev kit, seeing as people are still complaining about the roll out of them. If he has received one, after informing Nintendo of why he wants one and what his plans are, then that would be very interesting.

patapuf

Switch doesn't have a browser though so the Switch version should be a bit different. But yeah, I get what you're saying.
Makes you think though, if this goes through, watch how every definitive edition will soon be on a Nintendo console, a portable one. Crazy.

You still need a PC that is able to run these definitive editions.

patapuf

Streaming to a handheld is understandable, but why would I stream games to stationary console?

Why not? It's not like the switch has an exhaustive library and if you already have a game but want to play it on tv that evening just stream it.

Nevermind that the switch is as much a portable as it is a console.

Top Bottom