• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

0% chance of this ever happening through any official channels and it feels too early for there to be a hack that will allow this

Smells like this guy is drumming up publicity with bullshit but we'll see I guess

edit: read up on it more, the guy is legit but I'm still dubious

Brofield

Sweet. Once this and Bob's Game are on the eShop I'm getting a Switch.

XS5LK.gif

Shirke

I dunno, this seems like one of these too good to be true situations that probably won't happen even if this guy is well known in the PC space.

poodaddy

0% chance of this ever happening through any official channels and it feels too early for there to be a hack that will allow this

Smells like this guy is drumming up publicity with bullshit but we'll see I guess

The only bullshit here is this post and others like it that insinuate that the app author is being disingenuous when he's a noted PC app developer with a great track record of making useful software. If the app doesn't make it to the e shop the blame will fall squarely on Nintendo and their antiquated policies, not the ambitions of the developer in question who has already proven his talent.

The only bullshit here is this post and others like it that insinuate that the app author is being disingenuous when he's a noted PC app developer with a great track record of making useful software. If the app doesn't make it to the e shop the blame will fall squarely on Nintendo and their antiquated policies, not the ambitions of the developer in question who has already proven his talent.

You're right, I was a bit quick to judge. I didn't realize it was the Borderless Gaming dev.

I'm still a bit skeptical, but he's very confident and it sounds like its happening soon, so I remain cautiously optimistic

Speely

Banned
Between Nintendo being Nintendo, controller issues, and the Switch's terrible Wi-Fi, I am pretty skeptical about this working well, despite the talent going into it. It seems way to good to be true.

TSM

Even I this makes it on to the eshop it won't be long before Nintendo sees people playing Mario emulated on social media and yanks it.

Instro

The potential benefits to Nintendo would outweigh the downsides. I'm not sure I see them allowing it, but it would be a good idea.

I give this a 50-50 chance of actually ending up on the eShop.

It definately seems unlike Nintendo, but then they've been more open lately. Presumably the dev is smart enough to actually ask before spending time on programming--but it could be a miscommunication, so who knows.

Fredrik

I doubt the latency will be good enough for action games (maybe locally or for 30fps games), but this could still be an awesome feature. I'm surprised Nintendo is allowing it.
Steam Link through 5ghz wifi actually works fine, as a test I tried playing Ikaruga, so in theory it could be quite okay I'd say.
Still don't believe it'll get an official release though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I feel it's a bad sign that he uses the name "Xbone" in this communication, considering it is a semi-official announcement and I doubt Microsoft is OK with using such abbreviations of their console name in official communication. If the program truly is in development for Switch, then it should be an approved project though, considering Nintendo has stated Switch development is limited to succesful pitches. I am sure that such a prrogram being pitched will definitely lead to a higher up checking if it is even within the boundaries they want to set for Switch. Thus, I personally believe it is not even in development for Switch.

AmyS

No way in hell this will ever officially appear on the Switch eShop without some sort of workaround that is not sanctioned by Nintendo.

sneas78

Banned
Holy crap... seriously?! Huge!!
However I find it odd that we have such info on an app that can do this... yet we don't even have youtube or Netflix.

Lawsuits for what? What lost revenue?

wait what lawsuits. It's just using the console for streaming purposes.

Do you think Microsoft is going to love the idea of their PC titles being played on Nintendo Switch? Or that indie developers are going to like the idea of them working to port a title from PC/Android/Xbox to Switch and everyone just streams it anyway? That's not even getting into what happens if people use it to stream Emulators, or the shear number of exploits it opens the Nintendo Switch up to. If there's a way to stream SNES games you already own to the Switch are you even going to bother using their VC and paying them for the ability to do so?

Cerium

Do you think Microsoft is going to love the idea of their PC titles being played on Nintendo Switch? Or that indie developers are going to like the idea of them working to port a title from PC/Android/Xbox to Switch and everyone just streams it anyway? That's not even getting into what happens if people use it to stream Emulators, or the shear number of exploits it opens the Nintendo Switch up to. If there's a way to stream SNES games you already own to the Switch are you even going to bother using their VC and paying them for the ability to do so?
You literally don't know what you're talking about.

Fredrik

This is literally something that seems too good to be true.
Yes, for many reasons. It just won't happen. Mostly because it could hurts some third party relations, it pretty much makes indie ports pointless except for people who game outside, and it makes Virtual Console games harder to sell. nVidia is probably not happy that every Switch is suddenly a nVidia Shield either, and basically everyone who makes a third party port for Switch will likely see less games being sold because of this app.
Outdoor gaming with added latency will see that it's not okay enough for everyone though, think Remote Play.

herod

none of those things are lawsuits

btrboyev

I'm not sure what the hell you are even talking about. Why would Microsoft give a damn if someone is streaming a PC game to a switch? You are still playing the PC game.

Streaming is not ideal at all, and if a game is ported to switch and it's good, people will buy it.

MartyStu

None of this is grounds for a suit. Rejection from being allowed into the eShop? Absolutely. But that is it.

I'm amazed this is even being developed and it has plans to release in the eShop.

Will be great to finally see ir published.

I really hope Nintendo allows this.

sneas78

Banned

Then why is snes, nes N64 among others on the android play store? Official store. It's been there for years now.. ninty didn't take it down.

Instro

Well for starters, you can already stream anything you want through Steam Link. Is Valve currently inundated with lawsuits? Moving on from that, this would appeal to a small subset of gamers who have a highly capable PC, that own games on that PC, who also own a Switch to stream to. Furthermore this would only work within the house of the PC, anyone wanting a particular indie game or VC title that is truly portable would need to actually purchase it on Switch. You're overstating the potential downsides, the major application here is to be able to stream PC only games, or any multiplat that doesn't come to the Switch but releases on the PC.

Nintendo doesn't even give a shit about emulators either btw.

Galava

Will believe it when I see it. Not because it can't be done, but because Nintendo (or game devs) might have problems with it.

sneas78

Banned
Will believe it when I see it. Not because it can't be done, but because Nintendo (or game devs) might have problems with it.
Like I said ... there are alot of Nintendo emulators on the android play store.. and they have not done a thing about it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The title is pretty bad for what this is.

Title makes it out to be a switch only thing while in reality the guy made it to support phones, OS X, Linux, Xbox One, Switch and so on. Anything with a browser really.

Machina

Banned
I can see Nintendo running away quickly from this on the basis of emulators. They know they're out there, and this app could make it pretty easy to stream them to the Switch.

Peterc

The title is pretty bad for what this is.

Title makes it out to be a switch only thing while in reality the guy made it to support phones, OS X, Linux, Xbox One, Switch and so on. Anything with a browser really.

Ok but you probably want it on switch as portable with buttons

Top Bottom