• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

AudioEppa

Outside of a couple games that will be, will hopefully decent rentals. This is a 'meh' first half of big game releases.

I'm sure the games are great, just nothing I wanna play.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Here's one: Wind Waker and Twilight Princess shit on all 2D Zeldas. The only legit good 2D Zelda is Alundra.
I mostly agree, but A Link Between Worlds is awesome. Enjoyed it more than TP, though it couldn't match the joy that sailing in WW gave me. All 3 games are great, and my favorite Zelda titles. Not really a fan of the others I've tried, although I admit they are really good games.

timberger

....except I'm clearly talking about the Xbox One and the Scorpio?

It kinda read like you could have been talking about either Xbox or PS4. I could see how some might be confused tbh.

I'm asking for a whole bunch of crap saying this I know it.

I owned the original xbox and there were some pretty great titles on that system, but honestly since the around mid 360 gen and forward I feel like Microsoft's exclusive's output is soulless and creatively bereft, not bad games per se. just not very artistically inspiring or unique in their scope. Just not enough weirdness for my taste, but I'm sure its probably a perception issue more than anything else.

MS playing it safe with their output is about as far from controversial a statement as you'll likely find on the matter mate :)

MisterP

Banned
I couldn't stand Mario64. I put it down to the atrocious n64 controller but recently replayed it via emu with a 360 pad and still found it to be a dull, clunky and fiddly affair.

Best game ever? Not for me thanks

verdures

Dino Crisis 3 (taken on its own without comparing it to previous entries, and playing it on Easy mode) is a great game. The futuristic environments are full of exploration and even minor platforming from time to time. The music suits the atmosphere. The game harkens to Metroid at times (being in a space station is like Metroid Fusion, and at certain points in the game you shift the formation of the space station to access new areas) You use certain sub-weapons to unlock certain doors. There are certain sections with zero gravity, and you use your jetpack to move about in these sections! The jectpack is a versatile tool which allows you to move faster, hover in the air for a limited time, and to circle-strafe enemies in combat. Speaking of combat...I found it pretty repetitive. You auto-aim at enemies (although you can aim manually in first person, but then can't move and shoot), and spam your automatic rifle that has unlimited ammo at them. Circle-strafing around them with the jetpack and using subweapons can vary up the combat, especially if the sub weapon is the enemies weakness. However, the sub weapons double as keys, which makes me less inclined to use them in combat. The story of this game...I don't remember much of, other than the dinosaurs are cloned from DNA or something. Both main characters are generic and forgettable. There's a fair amount of loading screens, which hurts the satisfaction of exploring to a degree. I feel the positives outweigh the negatives, and the game might have been much better received if it was a new IP altogether, as the story barely is involved with the much more cherished first two games aside from minor details which could be considered easter eggs
This is an intriguing write-up! I never knew Dino Crisis 3 existed until a few weeks back and it gave me an itch to run the series. Sounds like it would interesting enough to try and find a copy.

Not really controversial opinion neccessarily but since there has been some UC4 talk here:

I think Naughty Dog is held back by the critical and fan praise their games get (well, mostly UC4). I really like UC4 but it's not a 93+ MC game and as long as they don't get called out on stuff I fear they don't feel the heat to improve. The pacing is bad and it's really sad that the people who can make absolute top tier cutscenes end up making a game where a big chunk of the narrative is told by forced walking/climbing sections. It wouldn't be so bad but there is a tooooooon of it, way more than the previous games. Also there is no point in more open non-action areas if there is nothing exciting to discover. The exploration element of the series could have been a great point to improve on the last game with bigger areas but sadly it's just the same old boring treasures. Hell, Resident Evil 4, 5 and 7 have more exciting exploration and those games have nothing to do with treasure hunting when it comes to the premise!

The action gameplay in UC4 is the best in the series but otherwise it falls short of the other games. I just fear the universal praise for UC4 will be a major enabler for whatever TLOU2 turns out to be.

And as long as I'm on this topic: Kingdom Hearts fanbase is way too defensive (thankfully not really on GAF) on much of the crap the series has. I feel like some vocal criticism from the fanbase could do the series a ton of good in the long run.
Yeah, I agree. It's true about any company that receives too much praise. For instance, I love TW series and CDPR, but I worry that the amount of adoration TW3 received will slow down the insane progress they made between games up until it and blind them to its problems. Thing is... it's what people enjoy, apparently? No incentive to develop too much beyond a point where everyone loves your products as they are. Even if they can be better (though I suppose those that love them as they are don't think they can be much better, in a significant way).

Horizon is gonna be the biggest flop of 2017, they put a embargo on reviews because everyone knows the gameplay is super repetitive. I mean, guerrilla games can not make a good game to save there lives recently.

Key Points

. Gameplay is boring and repetitive, dodge and kill mech, do that for 7 hours.

. Great Graphics to cover up the fact from above

. Story is probably the weakest that GG has ever put out

. Will be in the bargain bin in probably three months

GamerJM

Banned
Splatoon 2 is the game that's got me sold on the Switch the most right now, by a sizable margin. Zelda and Mario look amazing and I'm glad Nintendo's doing what they're doing but the more nonlinear you make a game the more you lose me. Splatoon 2 looks like the first but more fleshed out, which is really all I wanted from a sequel.

Raylan

Banned
Horizion is gonna be the biggest flop of 2017, they put a embargo on reviews because everyone knows the gameplay is super repetitive. I mean, guerrilla games can not make a good game to save there lives recently.

Key Points

Chill OrbitalBeardJr. Zelda will be good, too.

petran79

Banned
After a while, there is literally no difference between playing Persona 4 and watching a Youtube video of the same game or the TV series. Same emotional impact and zero gameplay, almost visual novel like.
Guess 5 will be the same.

El_Chino

I can't find a good reason why the Souls/Bourne games are praised so highly. I've played them all, and I still don't get the appeal.

Mezoly

Horizon is gonna be the biggest flop of 2017, they put a embargo on reviews because everyone knows the gameplay is super repetitive. I mean, guerrilla games can not make a good game to save there lives recently.

Key Points

Every game has an Embargo on reviews. All high reviewed games had an embargo as well. Embargo does not indicate the quality of the game at all.

Key Points

Hmm, I hate to tell you man, pretty much all games have review embargos. The big difference is when a company is confident in a game they will lift the embargo a week or two out from release. Horizon reviews are supposedly going up a week before it is out. Thats likely a good sign.

Raptor

Uncharted 4 is the best Uncharted game by far oh my god.

Survival + SP on hard and above are some of the best gaming stuff out there right now.

This is an intriguing write-up! I never knew Dino Crisis 3 existed until a few weeks back and it gave me an itch to run the series. Sounds like it would interesting enough to try and find a copy.

Thanks for the compliment! The game does have its flaws as mentioned in my post, but the good parts are great imo...if you do get it, I recommend taking it as its own thing separate from the previous entries, and to play it on Easy mode (playing on Normal has limited continues and from what I recall, are insanely hard to come across). The only difference to Easy mode is unlimited continues...the rest of the challenge is intact.

Yoshi's Story is a great game

Wait that's not enough

Yoshi's Story is the best 2D sidescrolling game in general of all the fith generation(it's better than SOTN yes, btw Aria of Sorrow is better than that one). It's also definitely better than all of Nintendo's modern 2D games that pretty much rehash NES/SNES games

other than that uh

FF8>FF9(both are great tho)

Both team ico games are mediocre at best(idk about tlg but doesn't sound very good), they don't deserve to be mentioned next to actual good games at all

The Last of Us is also mediocre at the very best, one of the most overrated games of all time

ALBW is the worst Zelda game besides the DS ones/spinoffs, inferior version of ALTTP 20 years later that doesn't add anything of substance

Star Fox Zero's problem isn't Miyamoto's fault, it's Platinum's if anything

Tales of Symphonia 2 > Ni No Kuni(lol)

Metroid Fusion is definitely the third best game in the series after Super and Prime 1

GamerJM

Banned
Tales of Symphonia 2 > Ni No Kuni(lol)

Definitely agree with this one haha. ToS2 certainly does a hell of a better job of being an action RPG with Pokemon inspired elements. NNK blows ToS2 out of the water in terms of visuals, world, story, and "charm," but none of those are really reasons why I play RPGs.

Pixieking

Banned
I can't find a good reason why the Souls/Bourne games are praised so highly. I've played them all, and I still don't get the appeal.

I think part of it may be exploration and inventiveness... Playing Nioh (which some in the OT have praised as "What they wished Dark Souls was"), a lot is explained in terms of world-building and backstory, and so far as I've played it (not very far, admittedly) there's little that's striking about the level design. It's all... expected. By contrast, SoulsBorne games leave a lot to the player to infer, and just let the player wander - a route that the player may think is just a dead-end can conceivably wind into a whole new area, for instance. They're maybe as close to playing a custom-written pen-and-paper roleplay campaign as you'll find in videogames, if you're thinking purely in terms of unexpected events that seem personalized.

Totally fine to not get the appeal, though. I'm hitting the same "Why do people think this is so great?" in the Nioh OT, so can understand where you're coming from.

I bought it and I'm barely into it, but I posted some concerns about the quality of environments in Nioh.

While I appreciate the frame rate, the environments are just so dull coming off of DS3 and BB.

Pixieking

Banned
I bought it and I'm barely into it, but I posted some concerns about the quality of environments in Nioh.

While I appreciate the frame rate, the environments are just so dull coming off of DS3 and BB.

Yeah... In a way, the game it reminds me most of is Tomb Raider 2013. Level-design isn't great, combat isn't awesome (at least, for me), and very bland artistically.

(Now that is a controversial opinion. :p )

srbond

Neo Member
I still cannot stand The last of us, i think it is one of the worst games ever made and also Mario 64 was a horrible p.o.s game.

The fifth gen of gaming is far and away the worst gen since the NES (anything before that is unplayable trash). A lot of revolutionary and groundbreaking games during that time, no doubt, but I can count on my fingers the amount of games that I'd willingly replay out of that era. Games like OoT and such set-up the framework for 3D gaming, but they've been so thoroughly surpassed at this point that going back to them is painful. SOTN is the only game out of that Era that would come close to my Top 10 list.

I think Counter Strike: Global Offensive is one of the worst fps games ever made.

I played Source for a few years and loved it, but the way people are in the GO community and the way they're handling microtransactions for keys is ridiculous.

Nepenthe

Sonic Unleashed was the last time Sonic Team really gave a damn and were excited about the franchise. Everything after's just been a joyless chore.

Vexii

I hate this thread. Hate hate hate.

Reading makes me cringe soooo hard, but it's like a car crash in slow motion. I can't take my eyes off of it.

I need to argue with so many people, but I can't. This thread is a haven for these miscreants and I can't do anything about it... But I keep coming back.

Please help.

Malus

I still cannot stand The last of us, i think it is one of the worst games ever made and also Mario 64 was a horrible p.o.s game.

I couldn't stand Mario64. I put it down to the atrocious n64 controller but recently replayed it via emu with a 360 pad and still found it to be a dull, clunky and fiddly affair.

Best game ever? Not for me thanks

My people.

Reading makes me cringe soooo hard, but it's like a car crash in slow motion. I can't take my eyes off of it.

I need to argue with so many people, but I can't. This thread is a haven for these miscreants and I can't do anything about it... But I keep coming back.

Please help.

Your hate only makes the thread grow stronger.

Also if Retro makes another Metroid Prime they better step it up because MP3 was mediocre as hell.

The Witcher 3
I played it at launch, and I tried so hard to get into it but I couldn't. The combat sucked, the world was boring, and the main plot dragged itself out and was incredibly dull. I thought graphically, at least on PS4, it was unimpressive.
The side stories were good though.

Ellite25

TLoU is one of the worst games ever made? Lol You don't have to like it but saying it's one of the worst games ever made is objectively wrong.

redfox088

Banned
Uncharted 2 was the greatest single player campaign I ever went through....now that that's out the way. Uncharted 1,3,4 campaigns are super boring and poorly paced which makes it unplayable to me. Last of us as well, and I own all and have given them multiple chances.

Re: Persona 4 - I was enjoying it as a "life sim". I lost complete interest when I had to take part in boring JRPG battles down boring corridors. When people put Persona 5 on expectations lists, I can't imagine what the appeal is.

Despite the hate they get for their games get in terms of gameplay or presentation or whatever, EA's games are very rarely broken to the point of being complete messes.

I think the Switch is what the Wii U should have been and it's also about 5 years too late. Nintendo's second push on a "tablet" is like trying to play catch up with a market that has long since passed them by.

Nintendo's big three (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) were all better before the jump to 3D.

There's no reason to hold any expectations from Rare in 2017.

I haven't bought Gravity Rush 2 yet, despite loving the first one, because I couldn't afford it at the time and, with the rush of games coming, I can't imagine when I'm going to get a chance to even look at it. Luckily digital means I can get it in the future, but I feel like I'm part of the problem for why games like that don't get made now.

Ubisoft is the best of the big publishers. They take huge risks and don't get enough credit for it.
Their games are almost always interesting even if they're flawed in some way.

Zyrox

Haha this thread is somewhat painful, yet interesting to read. Time to add to it.

- Majora's Mask has an interesting concept but it works terribly for a Zelda game, making it the worst Zelda period (minus CDi obv.). Should've been a new ip

- Uncharted franchise single player was never really great, its gameplay always worked better in MP

- Bloodborne has a great aesthetic, but does sooo many things worse than the Souls titles it's baffling. Healing system, checkpoints, Multiplayer, optional content, Weapon Variety, lack of respec, lack of playstyles/builds in general. Bloodborne was robbed? No, Dark Souls 3 was robbed which is better than this in every single regard save for maybe aesthetic.

- speaking of Dark Souls, DS2 > DS1. Also, Demon's Souls, while still being a good game, is the worst of the bunch.

- Street Fighter V earning so many Fighting Game of the Year awards is shameful. Capcom shouldn't be showered with awards for their nonsense.

- Chao Garden is the best thing to come out of the Sonic franchise. Well that, and Sonic 06 LP's.

That's enough for now.

requiem02

Banned
My people.
Also if Retro makes another Metroid Prime they better step it up because MP3 was mediocre as hell.
I can recall just about every single moment of Metroid Prime, despite only having played through the whole game once.

I can vividly recall jumping off a platform in MP3, and that's literally it. Mediocre and forgettable to the core. That being said I still think what Retro did with the franchise as a whole is phenomenal.

Oh, I mean Crash Bandicoot (2)>Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie goes without saying. Thank god Mario Galaxy ended up being closer to Crash than 64 thus resulting in the best 3D Mario game.

I wouldn't say 64 is garbage doe. Groundbreaking for 3D and a fun game nontheless. Definately not something I replay a lot.

That said 3D Land is the most overrated Mario game by far and a slap in the face after the brilliance of Galaxy.

Guess my posts belong here more than in any other thread.
In a SF V thread I had the nerve to say Kolin is bad character design and got stoned to death.

Well, I'm never going to approve having Forzen's Elsa in SF, spamming ice like she's a freaking X-Men more than a martial artist.

Actually this isn't about Kolin. She's just the tip of the iceberg (if you catch my drift).
It's more I really want to like SF V but I'm really thrown off by overall character design and choices.

I don't like any of the newcomers. Really they seems to be KoF characters more than SF.

I didn't want to have some old folk to come back (Es. Guile. Inb4 lol I mained Guile in SF II and IV) and I feel like new generation fighters (Es. Alex) don't fit well with the old geezers.
I love SF III (yes, even vanilla and Giant Attak) but I feel like Abel would have been a better fit in the roster than Alex.

I hate Karin. I never was fond of Sakura and I always felt she was just a waifu character for lonely japanese folks. The same goes for Karin and I still can't belive she's so popular.
I mean SF was about ugly ass kung-fu masters (Gen, Lee and such), wasn't it? School girls can make sense if well designed (Ibuki, Makoto, Helena) but Karin doesn't make sense at all to me.

Also, there are so many blonde fighters. Is it Sweden Fighter V?

SFV was a mess enough without Kolin yet they decided to bring in a lore character with magic powers. She's like icing on the cake (yes that's a pun).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Please help.

LOL sorry mate. To tell you the truth I am very amazed myself that this thread is still running 4 years after I began it, hahaha.

Budi

I think Counter Strike: Global Offensive is one of the worst fps games ever made.

I played Source for a few years and loved it, but the way people are in the GO community and the way they're handling microtransactions for keys is ridiculous.

I personally prefer the original CS. But CS:GO is still actually really great multiplayer fps. I agree on the community but it was no better in 1.6 imo. Loot boxes are bit ridicilous in non F2P game yes, but alteast the game isn't prized at 40/60 euros, it's almost free tbh. And it's also all cosmetic. But the actual game is really good.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I used to harshly criticize Neil Davidge for his un-Halo soundtrack in H4. Now I think his music style was pretty varied and stood out despite that though.

Taken as a complete package, I'd say it's the best Halo OST. Marty has better individual themes, but the consistency is poorer.

Ichabod

Banned
The Switch is gonna sell like gang busters but ultimately settle into the same niche segment of the market the WiiU is in due to a lack of substance beyond the usual 1st party affairs.

I don't like any of the newcomers. Really they seems to be KoF characters more than SF.

Huh, that's what people said about Street Fighter IV too--especially C.Viper.

But yeah. The only newcomer I like unambiguously--in both design and playstyle--is Rashid; I hate playing against and watching Necalli, Laura's design is shallow wank material, and F.A.N.G. is hilarious but is awkward to play and somehow even worse than Alex. I actually don't mind Kolin's design so much (the super short skirt is meh), outside of how terrible her face looks now compared to S1.

That's pretty much par for the course with new characters in the SF games, though. The Alpha series was the last one to introduce multiple new characters that I liked almost across the board.

Auctopus

Uncharted 4 OST is the best in the series. It's the best produced, it has the widest range of timbre, mood and emotion and I feel people instantly knock it off 'cause of muh Drake's Theme.

OCD Guy

The Switch is gonna sell like gang busters but ultimately settle into the same niche segment of the market the WiiU is in due to a lack of substance beyond the usual 1st party affairs.

I don't think that's possible if it does sell a crap load of units. The Wii U was a niche because no one really bought it.

But then again I can't see the Switch being all that successful. I love Nintendo games and buy all their hardware regardless of how shit it is.

The Wii U gave me the best gaming experiences out of all the consoles even though it was a failure and the hardware was crap.

I think if the Switch sells a lot of units (which it won't) then we'd have a WIi situation with lot's of 3rd parties making shovelware.

The future I see for the Switch is it will likely become the best place to play indie games, like I think it's really going to blow up in that regard.

Ultimately I agree with your point about a lack of substance beyond the first party but to be honest it's been like that on Nintendo consoles for many many years now.

I think at this stage there's almost an expectancy that Nintendo consoles are pretty much for Nintendo games.

I think gravity rush 2 was a huge dissapointment. It did a lot of things right, but it feels like no one play tested any of the horrendously tedius missions

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Nintendo Switch will be another flip from Nintendo. Of course it's going to sell really well the first year, but after that it's going to settle down and become another Wii U.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Scalpers and game colllectors are two sides of the same coin. Both take an out of stock item and jack the price up to screw you over.

Yet gamers hold a dislike for scalpers, while happily accepting that the collectors price gouging indicates the game's worth.

Buzzi

It's not the first post I made on it but it's kind of my most inherent opinion.

I absolutely despise Persona 4 (Golden, but after informing myself I'm sure the original can't be better), to the point I can't even understand how it can be appreciated, let alone loved as one of the best jrpgs or games of all time.

I know it's "different", (well, probably P3 was the only similar game at the time while now there's many more similar games) but it is not in a good way because it keeps projecting boring, overused and repetitive ideas onto that different surface.
I'm gonna say that except for some of the ost and scenes (like when they don't just spout anime tropes) I found it completely broken and unsatisfying, at least after the first 10-20 hours when everything could seem cool.

Tastes are a thing of course, but whenever I see someone selling it as a masterpiece which changed his life I can't believe it.

Top Bottom