• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rammstein - Appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
qafs_large.jpg

I only found an old thread from 2006 so I hope it's okay if I start another one?
Who else loves Rammstein?
Does RammsteinGaf exist?
First things first: I'm from Germany so I grew up with their music but to me it's the only german band that constantly writes good lyrics (which represent the german language pretty well without being crude or silly).
The stage performance is still incredible and I love all of their songs. (I don't give a shit about people who don't accept changes :p )

So what's your favorite song?
I don't know if I could choose one, it really depends on my mood. I really like "Waidmanns Heil" from their last album "Liebe ist für alle da" but of course there are many more (classics):

Sonne
Du hast
Links 2 3 4
Engel
Du riechst so gut
Reise, Reise
etc.

Is Rammstein still popular in US or...outside of europe?

BTW: Expecting "Heino"-jokes from germanGaf :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I hadn't thought about these guys for a loooooong time until I cracked a joke using Amerika in a steam chat this morning. Still have a guilty love of their tunes.

Gigarator

Saw them at Download festival this year and was massively impressed with their show, it had everything. Everything...(NSFW)

Definitely converted and would love to see one of their arena shows since they're meant to be even better.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I've been a huge Rammstein fan since '98 or so. Saw them live back in 2001, it was great.

Herzeleid and Sehnsucht are really good albums, but you can pretty easily tell that it was around Mutter when they really started to get good. Their sound changed a LOT between Sehnsucht and Mutter. Till's singing especially.

As for my favorite songs:

1. Reise, Reise
2. Hallelujah
3. Ohne Dich
4. Benzin
5. Fruhling in Paris

Also, if you like Rammstein, check out Joachim Witt. He was a big NDW singer back in the 80s, then had a big comeback in the 90s/00s as a more goth/rock oriented singer. People around my age may remember his song Die Flut, which was commonly mislabeled as a Rammstein song on Napster/Kazaa. Some other songs to check out:

Und Ich Lauf
Das Geht Tief
Goldener Reiter (2007 version)
Eisenherz
Wem Gehort Das Sternenlicht

And he also just did a really good duet with MONO INC called Kein Weg zu Weit

acrid

Banned
Amazing band. Saw them live in Georgia last year, and it was unbelievable. I hate that they're only known for Du Hast here in the US. That's probably my least favorite song of theirs. Sonne, Mein Teil, Reise Reise, Fuer Frei, all fantastic songs.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Saw them live last year. Till raped Flake with a rubber dick on stage and said dick proceeded to cum all over the crowd like a hose. It was glorious.

Ohne Dich is surprisingly one of the best love songs ever, lyrics-wise.

Keine Lust is one of my favorite videos of all time. (NSFW - lesbians, fat suits, flame throwers for no reason, and a flaming dress. There might be a titty or two as well.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJXu_NynZc

And for some reason, my favorite song of theirs is "Los". I cannot help but rock when that beat starts up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUiIo0xidjU

"Keine Lust" is awesome lol.

Here's a live perofomance from the "Völkerball"-tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZdXsmZVGFY

Man, I just ordered a new live-DVD.

edit: Their song "Rammstein" ist a masterpiece (used by David Lynch in his movie Lost Highway btw.)

Modedude

In picking up some albums some might call rather plain, Michael Jackson, Stone Roses, The Police.

Ended up picking up Rammstein as well, confused the person I was getting them from.

Saw them live last year. Till raped Flake with a rubber dick on stage and said dick proceeded to cum all over the crowd like a hose. It was glorious.

Ohne Dich is surprisingly one of the best love songs ever, lyrics-wise.

LOL

"Haifisch" (english: shark) is also a great song. I love how Til used and modified lyrics from "Mackie Messer" (written by Bertolt Brecht).

CloudWolf

I tried listening to Rammstein since I generally that kind of music, but I'm having a real hard time taking them seriously with their huge, over the top shows, extremely silly lyrics and the corny keyboard melodies.

They are basically a joke band in my mind, but that's okay, at least they know they're silly (I think) and are having fun with it.

Probably the "hardest" band I like. Obviously don't understand most of their lyrics off hand but they have incredibly musicality. I was a massive fan maybe ten or so years ago. Don't get around to listening to them much anymore but still think they are great.

Favorite song: Mutter

Lakitu

st5fu
Such a long time since I've listened to them. Still can appreciate their music, but my favourite Rammstein song ever is Nebel. Just so damn beautiful.

Ryaaan14

Banned
LoveloveloveloveLOVE me some Rammstein.

Herzeleid, Sehnsucht, and Mutter are god damn phenomenal albums all the way through.

WARCOCK

Banned
Like them a lot, teutonic music is kind of on the wavelength of angry people like myself.

Reise reise was my favorite song, the lyrics kind of ruined it for me when i found out what they actually meant. Love the Ich will and haifisch videos. Ohne dicht is a nice ballad too.

SJRB

Gold Member
Like them a lot, teutonic music is kind of of the wavelength of angry people like myself.

Reise reise was my favorite song, the lyrics kind of ruined it for me when i found out what they actually meant. Love the Ich will video. Ohne dicht is a nice ballad too.

"Lyrics ruined it" is basically Rammstein in a nutshell for me. So many great tracks brought down by lyrics I do not appreciate.

Duji

They're like the only band with a 5.0 live show rating on ticketmaster. I regret missing them the last time they came around :(.

Listened to them in high school (late 90s when Du Hast was blared constantly), still do on occassion (mostly gym music etc). People snicker now a bit, but then again I think they kind've do at themselves also. But I like acts that don't take themselves super serious, Rammstein, Rob Zombie, Ozzy etc. Just have fun. Ive never been to a live show, and thats one thing no one can diss them over, the videos of their live shows look fricken awesome. I remember they gave an interview once as to why they do all the theatrics, the gist was, everyone can listen to the music already, make it worth coming to see them and the spectacle in person. It was pretty cool. I wonder if Till (lead singer) has to pipe in his lyrics now, I can't imagine that singing style and aging helped his voice at all... I wouldn't blame him either.

Dysun

My favorite band, even though I dont understand one word. (I aim to keep it that way)
Don't care about music snobs opinion about it

Jburton

Banned
My favorite band, even though I dont understand one word. (I aim to keep it that way)
Don't care about music snobs opinion about it

Rammstein are awesome and although they are not afraid to have fun or make jokes at their own expense, a joke band they are not.

As for the lyrics, some of Tils lyrics are poetry ......... although I only ever want to hear them in German.

I find their music to be very haunting, I went to one of their showings here in my country, they put quite an amazing performance spectacle, love them. Still listen to them from time to time.

Some of my favs Amour, Spieluhr and Spring

SJRB

Gold Member
Been listening to Reise Reise most of the day thanks to this thread, still an amazing album.

Perfect work-out music too, tracks like Reise Reise and Mein Teil get me PUMPED.

lbk62

i love rammstein, they came to mexico and damn, the concert was beyond perfect.

the sound, the effects, the people, everything went just great, best concert ever, even if you dont like rammstein, the show is great, i recommend it, just go and enjoy the show.

as for my favorite song is ich will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom